Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vacation time...calling Geoff Grace..

Dave Bryce

So, it's actually been five years since I took a bona-fide vacation, and I'm about to remedy that.

I'm leaving Sunday (6/15), and taking the family to Orlando for a week of fun in the sun and to see just how much money the nice Disney folks can deprive me of...

I will have a laptop with me, but I'll probably only be checking in sporadically. At least, that's my plan. ;)

So, Geoff, are you up for a week of guest moderating, or do I need to see if steadyb is willing? :eek::D

BTW - please don't ask why someone who lives within driving distance of Disneyland is going to Orlando for a vacation. Long story.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else see a problem here?

Dave sets a deadline for us to send him money to get the next Keyboard Corner CD.

Dave books a vacation a few days later. :P

Robert

PS: I don't know what shocks me more. Dave taking off with the money, or being able to travel from CA to FL and spend a week at Disney World on $470. :D

Edit - another dead typo.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by steadyb

Say, don't you live within driving distance of Disneyland (and Universal Studios)???

Why you going all the way to Florida???

You can't be serious. There's no comparison between Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland would fit in one of the back rooms of Disney World. That, plus why give up the chance of experiencing hot muggy June days in Orlando standing in two hour lines with the wife and kids.

Dave, while you're there you have to check out Celebration, Fl - the town Disney built. Think Stepford Wives meets Tom Sawyer.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Say, don't you live within driving distance of Disneyland (and Universal Studios)???

...and Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain. And hundreds of miles of beaches. And majestic mountains. And lush national parks.

But no, go ahead and go to Florida and see if we care. We may even like Geoff better than you! When do you take the time and effort to bold our names individually, Dave? This is the care and attention I expect from a capable moderator.

:D

P.S. Sell them some speakers while you're there. I want my next ride on the "It's A Small World" teacups to sound goooooooooood.

- Jeff

Dave, as always, I'd be happy to be the guest moderator. Thanks for thinking of me, and enjoy your well-deserved break! :thu:

Jeff - Man, if Dave could sell Disney World on the idea of replacing all of their speakers with ADAMs, forget the vacation; he could retire tomorrow! :D

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Have a great time, dB. And as a former Disney babe, I'll give you a couple of tips:

- if you've never seen EPCOT, definitely save at least a day or two for it. WAY worth it. And I'd recommend having lunch in one of the foreign lands - I think our family had lunch in Morocco!

- there's all kinds of little-known but private, behind the scenes arrangements you can make ahead of time (sometimes even only a day ahead) that would be fun for you and the family (how did they do that kind of stuff)...as well as special sessions with the characters and such. I'd recommend calling ahead to find out - there's some great options.

I'm assuming you know all about multi-day passes, discount packages and such. If you need more info, just holler...

lz

(for future reference, if you want to avoid crowds, the very best time to go to any Disney park (and probably any other amusement park) is the first two weeks of December (right after Thanksgiving break but before the holiday break), the beginning of January, and in general, any weekday.)

I second what Laurie said about Epcot. It's worth being there at night for the parade and lights/fireworks show at the lake in the center of the park.

We loved Animal Kingdom, too. But get there first thing in the morning when the animals are active, because they're beat by the afternoon.

Use FastPass for getting through popular ride lines faster.

Expensive, but worth it (especially if you have daughters): Make reservations for a character breakfast in Cinderella's Castle. Most "character meals" are a waste of money and time, because you'll see all the characters out in the park free. But the Cinderella's Castle breakfast has the "Princesses": Snow White, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, etc. The "face" characters (Disney-speak for "without a mask") don't spend a lot of time in the park. Get a late morning breakfast reservation and skip lunch.

Have a great time!

Dave:

Don't miss out on the biggest attraction in Orlando for synthesizer fans ....

The Audio playground museum in Orlando:

http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/

Proprietor Joe Rivers is a lovely guy to talk to. Quite knowledgable about the toys in his attic (about a 1000 different models IIRC) He teaches some sound design courses at Full Sail. Joe tracked some of Patrick Moraz's work, and Patrick is a regular visitor. For somebody who had never patched an MS20 or a ARP2600 it was quite a thrill. It may be less so for you. It's a small operation so you may want to call ahead, if you plan to visit.

When I visited we needed a day off from the theme parks. My 2.5 year old boy did something very unusual. All the time that we were at Disney he was agreeable when it was time to leave. But not when I tried to pull him off the minimoog at the museum. He was busy trying to abuse the pitch wheel at the time. He burst out crying and was unconsolable. Fatherly pride welled up in me as I thought "my boy has taste". ;)

I hope you have a wonderful time in Orlando. :wave:

Jerry

I'll pop in here and there from the laptop. Y'all have a nice week, now...
Have a great vacation. Just make sure your family's is out harassing Goofy or some such thing before checking in. Your wife may see that as being too much like work.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Have fun on your vacation Dave! :thu:

I had so much fun on the last one, I've decided to go on another one! Two vacations in two years - what a concept... ;)

Anyway, I'm off to New Zealand to visit friends in Wellington for a week or so. I'll have my laptop with me but I don't know how often I'll be able to check in, so Geoff - if you're around and don't mind filling in for me for a while, I'd be most grateful! :thu:

dB

Dave, have fun down under! I'll be under the gun myself for the next few weeks trying to meet a looming deadline, but all it should take is a few short breaks here and there to enable me to at least check in almost daily.

Presuming that's an active enough involvement, then thanks as always for the honor - I'll be happy to oblige! :wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Hey Dave, are you back?

If so, how was your vacation? :)

Yep. I got back yesterday. Still a bit jet-lagged - had to lay around all day and watch pre-season football. ;)

NZ was awesome. Spent a bunch of time touring around the country, saw lots of LOTR sights and got to thoroughly check out WETA digital (where they did the LOTR graphics). Oh, and in a complete geek move, I bought myself a solid gold copy of the One Ring. :eek::D

The weather wasn't great...Wellington suffered the worst storm they've had in 40 years last Wednesday - it ripped the roof off the airport.

Geoff, as always, thanks for minding the store!

:thu:

dB

Archived