Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Mag wants your feedback! DX-7 this time...

I just got a note from Keyboard magazine editor Ken Hughes. They were quite pleased with the feedback they got from us on the most memorable MiniMoog recordings question, and he asked me to please post this for y'all:

We wanna know what the forum thinks are the

most memorable recordings featuring the Yamaha DX7. Could be the most cliched,

the coolest, the most iconic, whatever. Unforgettable DX7 recordings. We'll boil

down the forum's responses with our own and include them in an upcoming feature

on the 20th anniversary of the DX7. Opinions shared between now and Friday will

be eligible for inclusion in the article.

Can we help Mr. Hughes out?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy! :) James Newton Howard and Friends (the friends are the Porcaro guys). It's a "direct to disc" recording, meaning that it was recorded live in the studio. Tons of DX gear and also a GS1 or 2. It's FM heaven, and incredible playing to boot. :thu:

Just *every* pop song of the 80's had a DX7 on it. Every studio, musician and producer had one or more.

I can't think of many solos played on DX, but maybe my favorite one is Kenny Kirkland's burning solo on a song from "The Dream of the Blue Turtles", Sting's first solo album. The name of the song escapes me at the moment, but the beginning of that solo is unforgettable, with a feel of syncopated triplets. and later, a few distinctive bends. I don't have the album anymore, so please fill in the song's name for me...

I'd also like to single out the use of the DX by Yes, on 90125 with Tony Kaye on keys.

Also, the way Jerry Goldsmith used to merge synths with the orchestra for his soundtracks. He used three or four DX7s plus a few analog synths.

Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock also made distinctive use of Yamaha FM synths.

Just my 2 cents

Carlo

Originally posted by marino:

..my favorite one is Kenny Kirkland's burning solo on a song from "The Dream of the Blue Turtles", Sting's first solo album. The name of the song escapes me at the moment, but the beginning of that solo is unforgettable, with a feel of syncopated triplets. and later, a few distinctive bends.

"Shadows in the Rain". I learned that note-by-note, based on the transcrption in Keyboard. I still have the issue.

Lots of TV and movie soundtracks from the 80's feature heavy DX7.

The Law and Order theme has the DX Rhodes sound on it, to this day.

Top Gun has a bunch of DX7. Kenny Loggins' "Highway to the Danger Zone" has the Slap Bass sound on the intro. Also, the very first note you hear in Harold Faltermeyer's Top Gun soundtrack features the cliched Tubular Bell preset prominently.

Doogie Howser is a good one for the ubiquitous Rhodes sound.

Getting a little more obscure, General Public's All the Rage album has a ton of DX7. The Calliope sound takes the lead on "Never You Done That," one of my favorite 80's songs.

Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast new agey album was chock full of DX7.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Regards,

Eric

Tina Turner - "What's Love Got To Do With It?"

The harmonica sound was clearly patch 11.

Yanni - too numerous to mention.

Dave Grusin - "Serengeti Walk" , tons of others...

I seem to remember the theme from "Reading Rainbow" had lots of tasty 80's DX-7 bits.

I actually still use a DX-7 regularly at wedding gigs! Can't beat "Full Tines"!

Originally posted by marino:

I'd also like to single out the use of the DX by Yes, on 90125 with Tony Kaye on keys.

I think it was Trevor Rabin who played the majority of synth parts on that record...

Anyway, whoever was the player - I would second this.

Also I believe Nik Kershaw used DX7 on a couple of his early albums... and with great results as well.

I am back.

David Paich & Steve Porcaro from TOTO was heavy into the DX-7 in the eighties. (They also played alot of session stuff.) So the Toto "IV" had lots of FM, probably the GS-1. And their later "Isolation" album & "Fahrenheit" album has DX-7 all over.....

The Cocteau Twins use of the stock sound "Tubular Bells" on their 1984 release "Treasure" represents the only time I ever really enjoyed that patch.

For those keeping track it's on the first two tracks "Ivo" & "Lorelei" and you cannot miss it. :)

- DJDM

Originally posted by Joe Tee:

Gino Vanelli...

Black Cars Album... DX7 top to bottom!!

Yes! That was one of my favorite albums from Gino.

You guys may have my head for this but Micheal Jackson's Thriller has got to rate up there too! Tons of DX7 stuff on it.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I saw this thread yesterday afternoon - then on my way home, I heard John Parr's "Naughty Naughty" on the radio and I had to laugh.

The first song that came to mind when I saw the topic, though, was the short DX7 solo in Howard Jone's "Things Can Only Get Better," simply due to the fact that it sounded so DX7.

Funny, it seems that just as early 80's new wave was waning, most of the artists I switched to were heavily sample-based (i.e. Depeche Mode).

The DX7 was everywhere on the radio in the mid 80's, though, so much so that individual tracks and/or solos have trouble standing out in my memory.

Madonna´s "Borderline" - the Bell-EP intro.. wasn't that a DX7? I think this was one of her 1st songs to hit it big.

Funny.. I was just thinking about starting a "Happy Birthday DX7" Thread just the other day.

It's been years since I played one.. still wishing I had gotten the DX plug in board for my CX6x :cool:

What's next.. prophet 5? M1? :eek::P

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

It could be an MKS80, but Lyle Mays used a "digital EP" sound on his solo album Street Dreams. It's not a keyboard texture usually associated with Lyle Mays.

I loathe the song, but the DX7 EP sound is center stage on Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All".

Except for the ep that was everywhere, the one I remember the most is Jan Hammer's Miami Vice music, especially a guitarish sound that I can still hear in my head.

During the U2/Brian Eno days was that DX7 for the pads?

BTW, I still have my DX7II, and I use it. I don't think I could I could sell it. But I can't use the eps. It just seems too dated. I'll have to wait another 10 years or so.

David

Great thread. Sorry for blowing it off course a little but interested to hear whether Korg's poly61 was ever considered a heavyweight? This was really the first synth I bought in 1983. I remember the salesman calling it the greatest thing ever. It served me well but just weeks later came along the DX7 and I was stuck in analog (it wasn't considered too cool back then).

Someone mentioned M1 next. Wow. That is the main feature in my rig (please don't kick me off the forum).

Earle

Let us not forget "INT 7: MARIMBA", the electric piano's equally infamous next-door neighbor. This appeared on such iconic 80's tunes as "Axel F" and another one from Sting's Blue Turtles LP, "Love is the Seventh Wave" (the bouncy Carribean tune).That sound had more aliasing than the witness protection program, but there was something that made it hard to resist. I overused it myself.

Thanks to plenty of food-service overtime, my teenage rig from 86-90 consisted of a DX-7 and Oberheim OB-8 I got a good used deal on. I was in hog heaven, and in demand for local top-40 bands, because with those two synths I could sound like any song on the radio! Ahhh, memories.

Sold the Obie, kept the DX. :mad:

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Chick Corea didn't use a DX7 on "Electric Band" did he? It doesn't sound like it to me.

Well, I don't know about the album; but when I was working for Miles Davis during the '80s we did a gig with the Elektrik band, and Chick's rig had a DX7II FD on top of a MIDI'd Rhodes. The two keyboards were both connected to a rack that had two TX816 racks, so that's basically 18 DX7s that he was packing at the time. :eek:

IIRC, Steve Winwood's "Arc of a Diver" had DX7 all over it...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The "bass" sound in Front 242's "Headhunter", late 80s, is the most amazing FM sound I've ever heard. At least I'm guessing that it's DX FM.

I'm probably the only person here who was unimpressed by the DX7 (excepting the tuberupt sound) and never bought one. I barely remember the flexidisk that came with Keyboard and wondered at the anemic sax etc. Then came the page in Keyboard about gray market sales... Wasn't that in Keyboard?

I definitely got into FM when the TX81Z and the SY series came out.

Part of my dislike of the DX involves its ubiquity in recordings and the trend it started toward "piano" instruments versus true synthesizers. Give them what they want and they'll buy it, and us freaks will suffer ;-)

Back in that day, it seemed as though you could always tell when it was dinner time as the tempo of the tracks on the radio would slow and the DX Rhodes sound would appear. Ad nauseum.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT