Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite "non-Hammond" Work in Rock/Pop

PianoJazz1951

...a few months ago, someone threaded our favorite Hammond Organ work. Great question...great answers from "Gimme Some Lovin'", to "Hush", and "Blues Variation" and on and on.

What about non-Hammond Organ stuff? Don't throw in synthetic Hammond either.

1) Light My Fire-Doors

2) House of the Rising Sun-Animals

3) Runaway-Del Shannon

4) Break on Through-Doors

5) The Shape I'm In-The Band

I'm sure there are tons of others-Manfred Mann, Zombies, etc.

We will not waiver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail!

George W. Bush

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order:

1) Weird swirly organ on Beatles' "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite"

2) Emerson - "Promenade" from "Pictures"

3) Emerson - "Infinite Space"

4) Whatever Wakeman played on "Space Oddity"

5) All Elvis Costello/Attractions organ stuff

Maybe a vote for Smashmouth riffs as well

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Whoever Frank Zappa had doing boards on the Overnight Sensation album deserves some props for several tracks from said disc - "50/50", "Camarillo Brillo", and "Zombie Woof" are all brilliant works on the keys (well hell - what Zappa album didn't feature virtuosity in all categories?!)

For synth-based pop production, it's hard to beat Prince.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I would have thought he'd be one of the first mentioned with all the Beatles fans 'round here:

The incomparable Billy Preston!

Sly Stone

Kerry Minnear

Whoever it was that played the Rhodes solo on Crosby, Stills and Nash's song "Darkstar"...man that solo is perfect.

I'll add more later.

Yeah - I think the thread is supposed to be non-Hammond organ performances.

Just for the record I think the Lucky Man solo is one of the biggest pieces of crap Emerson ever played, but I appreciate the signifigance.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Originally posted by mzeger:

I think we strayed way OT. Isn't the topic non-Hammond organ work? Vox, Farfisa, Lowrey, etc.

Really...the topic says non-hammond work in Pop/Rock...I assumed that meant other keyboard than Hammond...Rhodes, Wurly, Synths, Piano. Sorry I missed the organ distinction...still can't find it. :confused::)

Nevermind.

Originally posted by PianoJazz1951:

...a few months ago, someone threaded our favorite Hammond Organ work. Great question...great answers from "Gimme Some Lovin'", to "Hush", and "Blues Variation" and on and on.

What about non-Hammond Organ stuff?

I always loved the wurly comping in Supertramp.

And Nicky Hopkins piano work with Cyril Davies.

Originally posted by ELP71:

Just for the record I think the Lucky Man solo is one of the biggest pieces of crap Emerson ever played, but I appreciate the signifigance.

Dude--you woulda had to be there...

Most of us had never heard a synth as anything but fluff and filler. This sound leapt out of the radio and our record players SCREAMING. And we screamed back, "What the f*** was THAT?" It rocked the world on its axis. (My world, at least.)

I understand that Emerson really didn't want to play that solo. Lake insisted. So he tossed one off, so to speak. But it's musical, interesting melodically, and completely appropriate. Is it great? Maybe not, but by god, it got our attention.

k.

FWIW---still off-topic, sorry--I first heard that Lucky Man solo when I was 10 years old...the local radio station played the whole first ELP album without commercials...I taped it. When I heard that solo at the end I was totally blown away...I didn't know any of the critical stuff I know today but I knew it was different and BALLS OUT!

oh and a cool little melody he played too.

...I've never been fascinated with any aspect of "Lucky Man". I always thought "Tank" the track before it, had far better synth work; assuming you had the attention span to get past the drum solo-(a 70's staple).

We will not waiver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail!

George W. Bush

Originally posted by ELP71:

Yeah - I think the thread is supposed to be non-Hammond organ performances.

So does he. I read some "Keyboard" interview with him and the interviewer asked him to talk about the "Lucky Man" solo. Emerson said, "It was a bunch of shit, really." He had just uncrated the thing about a week before and didn't really know what to do with it yet. But boy, did he figure it out later.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Sure thr "Lucky Man" solo isn't highly technical, but how many of you can play it, sing it, or whistle it in a comma? I have. Happy 40 to Dano when it hits. I'm 40 as well this year.

Archived