Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gimmie some FUNK

Kwiks

Just got my paycheck, gonna head to the record store in a few days with one mission, get the funk. I'm really looking for stuff that shows virtuostic rhodes/wurlitzer/clav playing. I've got some of stevie wonder's stuff :cool: , but i want more; new, old whatever, i don't care.

anybody got any advice on essential records or listening?

Thanks,

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll agree with the Herbie Hancock and Jamiroquai recommendations.

I would add:

- Parliament (greatest hits is a good starter)

- Dag (can't remember the album title, but look for "Lovely Jane" as a song)

- Tower of Power (live is good)

- Earth, Wind & Fire (hits or live)

- The Best of Billy Preston

That's all I can think of now.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

I'll agree with the Herbie Hancock and Jamiroquai recommendations.

I would add:

- Parliament (greatest hits is a good starter)

- Dag (can't remember the album title, but look for "Lovely Jane" as a song)

- Tower of Power (live is good)

- Earth, Wind & Fire (hits or live)

- The Best of Billy Preston

That's all I can think of now.

Regards,

Eric

Hey eric, did you know Parliament and Funkadelic were the same people? They would just change costumes and come back on stage with minor personnel changes. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I will take a listen to some of these myself, my suggestion is UK based "Brand new heavies". I love that band, "Brand new heavies", "Brother, Sister" & "Shelter" are good CD's from them. funky funky stuff.

Any other suggestions with a jazzy edge... ?

Originally posted by EricG:

Any other suggestions with a jazzy edge... ?

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters,

Weather Report - Heavy Weather,

Dizzy Gilespie - Soul Time (also called 'Sweet Soul'). Its a brilliantly funky CD,

King Curtis - Live at Filmore East

you\'ll probably find this helpful too

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Anyone looking for keyboard funk whether it's rhodes, clavinet, moog etc... should check out http://www.dustygroove.com Go there and do searches such as "clavinet funk" "rhodes funk" etc... Their selection is amazing and i've discovered many old school 70's recordings that i had never heard of before. Really tight old school underground funk. I've been discovering new keyboard funk stuff for a few years through that site. It rules. I'm not affiliated with them in any way either. Just a good ol' recommendation.

T

I highly recommend Sound Experience -- Soulville Collection. You can find this at dustygroove.com Those guys had a really tight clavinet track on the boogie nights soundtrack and their rare release is heavy as hell on the funky keyboards.

T :idea:

ps. sorry about the double post!

If you are talking about funk, then you have to include the father of funk, James Brown. Don't forget Rick James, and Cameo. Earth, Wind & Fire isn't really funk. Buy Earth, Wind, & Fire if you want to hear great music. But they're not really what you would call funk. Definitely get Parliment Funkadelic. Oh yeah, the Ohio Players and Slave are some other good funk bands.

Pick up The FunkBox - Hip-O records. 4 cd set has a lot of cuts by the groups mentioned above and some not mentioned. A real groove eye-opener.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Ditto on Jamiroquai, Billy Preston, Commodores. One that hasn't been mentioned yet and kind of overlooked for their funk, is Level 42. More a blend of funk-rock, but Wally Badarou's clav is absolutely killer, as is Mark King's bass playing.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Here's a good tip even if I say it myself.

Listen to the 3hr long Craig Charles Funk Show on BBC Radio 6.

It's archived on the the Radio6 internet site so you can listen whenever you like and the quality is good.

Craig plays some pretty obscure funk tunes together with the more common James Brown type stuff plus modern funk influenced pop and hip-hop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/

click on "listen now" and select craig charles.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Originally posted by konaboy:

Here's a good tip even if I say it myself.

Listen to the 3hr long Craig Charles Funk Show on BBC Radio 6.

It's archived on the the Radio6 internet site so you can listen whenever you like and the quality is good.

Craig plays some pretty obscure funk tunes together with the more common James Brown type stuff plus modern funk influenced pop and hip-hop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/

click on "listen now" and select craig charles.

Now that is a cool link - never again will i have to lug in a big wallet of CDs into work!
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

look no further than the two disc Best of the Meters, which has an endless array of all the schooling anyone could need.

my funk ear is about 10 times larger after listening to this set of discs a couple hundred times. funk band out of new orleans recorded mostly in the late 70s, and taking it every direction you can imagine with complete mastery.

lots of the other stuff you asked for is in there too.

tower of power, (old) jamiraqui (with their original bassist, stuart whatshisname) and stevie wonder are my top picks too for education.

but i'm just an enthusiastic novice .

:wave:

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

Gotta have some Tower of Power. I recommmend "Back To Oakland" and "Squib Cakes." For some heavy voodoo doo-doo on the Rhodes, get all the early Chick Corea (Return To Forever) you can lay your hands on, and also some Jan hammer. He played on the early Billy Cobham and Jeff Beck albums.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Thanks alot for the advice guys. Just discovered how to REALLY use my voice modultar on my Triton so I can't wait to apply some new inspiration with the new sounds I'm getting :freak: .

Cheers,

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

Some more funk:

Rufus. "Tell Me Somethin' Good" ( that's Stevie Wonder on Clav)

surprised no one has mentioned Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, War, "Slippin Into Darkness", yea the Gap Band, Ohio Players, and Barkays

Originally posted by Kcbass:

Originally posted by eric:

[qb]Hey eric, did you know Parliament and Funkadelic were the same people? They would just change costumes and come back on stage with minor personnel changes. Kcbass

Well, yeah - they were both George Clinton bands.

Weren't they signed to different labels?

Archived