Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Allaround Keyboard For Recording Session Work?

Threshold

Keyboardist's,

If you had to take a vote for one keyboard you would reach for to do recording session work with, which one would it be? When considering please take thought in the fact that this includes doing Rock, (Funk/R&B/Hip-Hop), Country, & Jazz sessions.

Threshold.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For session work, having a couple of different boards, or at least one keyboard and one module, is usually a smart choice. Let's say, one workstation-type and one VA (Virtual Analog).

If I had to choose one board, I'd go with a Kurzweil K2600.

If that's too expensive, I would probably get a Motif 7, with a few expansions installed - maybe the AN, VL, FM and Piano cards.

Of course, I'm biased, but I vote for a fully loaded K2600XS with the full stack of Sweetwater Sound CD ROMs. In the studio, depth and purity of timbre can't be beat.

Except, of course, for the rosewood Hamburg Steinway M through AKG 414's.

The best keyboard for a recording session, IMHO, is the one you know best and feel most comfortable with, the one which has the sounds most appropriate to the session (piano? strings? synth?), and always, always bring a backup. You never know what gremlins will appear at the last minute and threaten to ruin a session...

lz

www.lauriez.com

If you put yourself in the shoes of a Rock/Funk/R&B/Hip-Hop/ Country/Jazz producer/artist what keyboard would you be delighted to see your session player show up with?

Anything they know inside, outside, and upside-down I would think.

-CB

Originally posted by Faruk:

The one you have is allways the best.

Faruk

Threshold, if you are like most of us, The one

you DON'T have is always better !!

:eek::D:D

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: ViLo ]

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

I'll be the only one and vote for the Alesis QS synth--hehee!! But really, if I could only take one keyboard with me it would be a Triton Pro (with an XV5080 on the side)!!

Happy Holidays,

Kim :D

Some of these posts strike me as unfair since having a maxed out K2600 with all the Sweetwater sound libraries IS like having every synth at your command (besides being impractical for most of us). Reluctantly, as a proud S80 owner, I would have to give my vote to the Triton, but I think and S80 with the AN and VL boards would do a great job for most things.

-Casey

Have any of you Kurz cats played it side by side with a Triton? It's an eye opening experience.

I owned a K2000S and a K2500R for years before I bought the Tritons. I don't have any hard and fast rules for picking synths; they're all set up, and I use whatever sounds best for the song that I'm working on. That turns out to be a Triton 80 to 90 percent of the time, and my mixes sound 400% better than they did pre-Triton.

Regarding the Trinity: Yes, more options are available, but the Triton sounds better and has a much better user interface.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Regarding the Trinity: Yes, more options are available, but the Triton sounds better and has a much better user interface.

True. And regarding the insert effect situation, the Triton actually has MORE processing power than the Trinity. You can only use up to 5 IFX instead of 8, but all the effects have been "upsized." For example there are no more size 4 effects like there were on Trinity, they're now called "double size". So if you used 2 of these effects on Trinity, you're maxed out (4+4=8). With 2 double size effects on Triton, you still have room for one more (2+2+1=5). And remember you still have the 2 master FX and the master EQ.

I hope I didn't just confuse everyone..

I'd pick a Triton for the elctronic patches as well as the Rhodes/Whirly stuff, a Roland (JV/XP/XV module) for all the acoustic sounds and a combination of both for stings (try layering Analog Velvet and Wamr Strings together). Although I don't play organ much, I like the Dark Jazz Organ on the Korg and the Perc B-3 patches on the Roland.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

...While you're entitled to your opinion...the logic makes no sense. 8=8. 5=5. So the triity does have MORE insert and master effects available, depending on how you use them (double sized is for fast food not keyboards). And to say it sounds beter? HI, ACCESS...all madison ave marketing terms. The programs/combis are practically identical. I think the trinity HDR, Flash Rom/SCSI option outweigh the arppegiator/greater polyphony that the triton offers. Just my opinion. Then again, not having to take it to the shop for every damn upgrade would be a big advantage. As my boss says "it's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I would still recommend the k2600 as the best all around board, anyway. ~nel

Archived