Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's gigging?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How often do you do it?

Once in a while ...

Better said, every once we can prepare a gig.

... to be exact http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Since we're living in different cities, we have to do a very hard logistics work before the gig, so it is not an every weekend activity.

What sort of a band are you playing in? What kind of music are you playing?

I do play with TraX, my band. Electronic Pop original tunes and some covers from the Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Erasure and others...

What's your reason for doing it? Income? Fun/hobby? Trying to get signed?

Promotion... FUN ... FUN ... And because we HAVE to do it... you know, that inner voice... and of course, we're doing whatever effort would help us on getting signed one day.

Are you enjoying it?

YES SIR http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

We have been doing this for 10 years with the same band... and it gets better all the time!

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Funny you should ask...a couple of weeks ago, after a year and a half of not playing with a band at all, I got a call from some old friends to come sit in with them at a club gig on bass. I took the gig, and had a blast. It's funny that when we were serious musicians, we couldn't play anywhere without getting on each others' nerves constantly.

I'll tell ya one thing, though: playing bass live is not like riding a bike. It took three songs before I felt like my hands were working, and I got a hell of a couple blisters on my right (non-fretting) hand fingers. But we were good and the packed crowd was digging it.

We were playing all originals I recorded with those guys a few years ago. The only reason I don't do it more often is that I can't commit time to the band due to my work schedule. Pity, because we had a great time (and I got paid like, twenty bucks! And free beer! Whoo-hooooooo! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

How many of you are still playing out live?

How often do you do it?

TOO often at the moment... 8-10 concerts every month plus practice, and I'm also working at 5 CDs!!

Seven-piece: Guitar, keyboards, violin/bouzuki, bass, drums, percussions and voice.

We're playing, um, a kind of, ahem, "progressive-influenced ethno-rock, big-stage style"...

Sadly, I'm not playing live with my own jazz band at the moment, I'm just too busy (but we're recording a new CD). I'm planning to resume that in October.

What's your reason for doing it? Income? Fun/hobby? Trying to get signed? Already signed?

What kind of question is that, my friend? I don't know how to repair cars or sell books. This is what I do! It's my life, my fun, my income, my hobby, my job, my craft, my art, my doom if you will.

Signed... Yeah, sort of... I spent years playing FOR "signed" people, so I'm VERY cautious... I could support myself without any need for that, but I'm always seeking for more trouble...

Are you enjoying it?

Well, that depends on the night... Mm, no, not true. I would not FEEL right without playing, more like it.

And... What you mean, "still" playing live?!? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

marino

This message has been edited by marino on 07-14-2001 at 12:58 AM

Went for about 5 years (maybe longer) when I was hardly gigging at all. I was working shiftwork and it was hard. Then, I got a day job and put an acoustic trio together. But, no real gigs to be had. Wanted a drummer. Then, got a drummer and had to start doing shiftwork again. BITE IN THE ASS. So, finally started gigging. I ignore the shiftwork as often as possible. The bastards, anyway.

We do a classic rock and oldies thing, emphasizing vocals. We're basically a "trio"...bass, guitar, drums, with a girl who sings...but, although she does a few leads, she's primarily a co-vocalist (sort of a step up from a background singer).

AND...we're still looking for a keyboard player in Kansas City...if you're here and you're curious, we'll be at The Roxy (good club!) 75th and Metcalf in Overland Park, Fri, Aug 3rd...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I play and or sing in my church every Sunday. In church, the style is hymns and praise/worship music.

Christian music, however, is done in all styles, and my goal is to provide fans of the smooth jazz radio format with music from a Christian perspective. Other artists that are doing this include George Duke, Abraham Loriel, Bob and Pauline Wilson (of Seawind), and others.

Rob

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

------------------

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

How often do you do it?

Every Thurs. at the local pub

Have irregular live techno shows (Crystal Method-style) with another guy and a massive & painful rig. Last played 22nd March. Great show, ace fun to play but need to be renumerated appropriately so alot of work goes into each show. Play under name Preset.

Played stand-in keys for Melbourne band Yamamoto recently with Roland Juno 1 & a dead Korg keyboard repleat with 2 working octaves. That was wacky. Never heard the songs, couldn't hear foldback. That was wacky.

Playing orig. songs each Thurs. to small numbers with elec. beats, bass, guitar, keys, + guit/keys.

What's your reason for doing it? Income? Fun/hobby? Trying to get signed? Already signed?

#1 reason is the feeling of someone relating to something you have written or played. It truly is the ultimate rush.

Apart from that it's a mix of all of the above.

Gotta get some publishing sorted but doing the CDs through own label at the moment. (55khz Records)

Are you enjoying it?

Absolutely live for it. I love performing.

------------------

Ed

I make my living doing nothing but that in Las Vegas.

How often do you do it?

At last count, I do ten or eleven shifts a week.

I play five nights a week with a four-piece classic and contemporary jazz band. (Sax, bass, drums, and me on keys)

I play another four or five afternoons a week with a six-piece pop/rock/variety band. (Guitar, Guitar/bass, drums, two female singers, and me)

With the jazz band, I'll also do the occasional convention or private party.

And on Sunday mornings I play in church with a guitar player.

For these reasons I wasn't able to get in on the forum CD! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I do ALL of those gigs for fun. All but the church gig I do for income. The church gig I do for the obvious (to believers, anyway http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ) spiritual benefits. As far as getting signed, no thanks. I've got a home and family here, and I have no interest in doing road work. Besides, with the jazz band I work with we've recorded a CD which we sell on the gigs, and split the income evenly. It's not likely to go platinum or anything, but it gives us a nice little bonus on our income! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

For hobby, I have (like everyone else here) a home studio where I spend my rare days off working on home projects, or making sequence tracks to sell for live use.

Are you enjoying it?

Better believe it! I come from a small city in Illinois where I was lucky if I played five nights a MONTH. I had to work a meaningless day job to make a living. To play this much music and get paid for it is like a childhood dream come true. It's certainly my only reason for living in a crowded city in the middle of the desert! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 07-14-2001 at 07:07 AM

><>

Steve

I play a couple of times a month - Had only 1 in July, 2 in Aug. but in Sept.-Oct. play 8 out of 9 weeks.

Mostly Classic Rock with newer Radio Tunes mixed in. It's kind of funny, we learn new tunes, but we find most of the time the audience wants to hear old rock standards like Hurts So Good/Jailhouse Rock. Sometimes we go to a country bar & pretend to to be a country band. We also can do an all ages place like a corporate picnic. It's a 5 piece with 2 guitar players complete with a sound man. We travel with a PA that lights up a gym if it has to. With some added power it will do a rink.

Fun/hobby. Because of the bigger band & setup, its certainly not for the money. We are all older with day jobs. I use the money to buy more music toys. It funds the recordings I'm doing.

Are you enjoying it?

Sometimes. I look at music as 98% frustration & 2% magic. 98% of the the time you're frustrated with something, gear, someone, tired because we're are getting older, setup. But everyonce in a while the 2% magic shows up. The 2% magic seems to make it all worth it.

This message has been edited by b_3guy on 07-14-2001 at 09:12 AM

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I don't, and even worse, I don't have anyone I play with reguarly......except a bunch of guys that I used to play with in college in the 60's, we reform to entertain at an annual barbeque.....my long term plan is to get my work situation back together so I can afford studio time here in Manhattan, and get together some people who like New Orleans classic music, then the possibility might exist for a few gigs, if it felt right.....it would all depend on how everyone got along. So far all of my band experiences have been problematic, and thats unfortunate.....of course the good thing about the keyboard is you can sound pretty good solo,

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 07-14-2001 at 09:17 AM

I'm doing it but we have the last gig the 27 July. Our singer is moving to another town for two years, studying music, songwriting.

How often do you do it?

1-3 times a month.

A cover band. Playing everything from Beatles, Credence, Iron Maiden, Bee Gees, The Buggles, Backstreet Boys, Texas, Human League and more.

We have a repertoir of 70-80 songs.

Pure fun, well we earn some money also. 100-200$/man/gig

Are you enjoying it?

Sometimes it's a blast, sometimes it sucks.

Like the normal life I suppose, up's and down's

But I actually look forward to set up my studio in a more permanent setup, with patchbays. As it is now I have to repatch between gigs and thats not fun.

------------------

--Smedis,--

Spent 15 years on the road, playing country dance halls, honky-tonks, and dives all over North America. Kind of fell of the road and into a house gig where I can actually make a living playing one night a week. Seven old men and one young lady on stage. Playing mostly Top 40 and classic country, some classic rock. Get the occasional blues or classic rock gig on a Thursday or Friday. Rest of the time, I'm getting a little studio together, have a few demo clients already. Reason for still doing it: It's in us and has to come out. A couple of near-death experiences on the road taught me to relax and try and have fun on stage, and if you can't have fun, then just relax. Try not take the music so seriously. If you live through it, everything's gonna be all right. Fun doesn't necessarily mean jumping around and stuff either. Even if you're just smiling on the inside, you're way ahead of the game. After 33 years of weekends, full time, no gigs, too many gigs, it still has its moments. Somebody will take a chance on a solo or a fill, pull it off, make you go "YEAH!" Sometimes the female singer will send chills up my spine with some vocal riff. Rthythm section will find some kind of deep pocket. Sometimes somebody will screw up so bad it cracks everybody up. Worst peeve: picky little copy musicians who have to have everything just like the record. Why??? That's already been done! Express yourself, baby! You gonna spend the only life you're gonna get imitating somebody else?? I don't hold out any hope of ever getting signed at age 49, so I'm kind of looking to help a younger artist get signed, or at least get their talent out there in front of the world where they can have a shot at it. Thanks for making this forum available.

I toured when I was in my late teen and early 20's. Then I raised my family and only played occasionally.

Both of my sons have become excellent musicians and, helping them out with their bands, the bug bit again. My wife is a phenomenal blues/jazz singer and with the kids off to school, we decided to start gigging again. The timing couldn't have been better. Some of the finest musicians in our region were all getting the bug to gig again, all of them were, like Stacey and me, in situations that enabled us the time to do 3 or 4 day road trips every week and had kids pretty well grown up.

The chemistry is better than anything I ever experienced. We are getting lots of very lucrative paying gigs and are working on a CD. We play jump swing, blues, jazz, bebop right on up to current blues and R&B stuff. Stacey nails Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald so we get back into the traditional stuff but arrange it for Guitar, Organ, piano, sax, bass and drums so it sounds more current than retro. We sometimes morph off into some cool, spacey, avant-garde jam band stuff right in the middle of something traditional like St Louis Blues or Jumpin at The Woodside. And the cool thing is, people love it. I can't believe we are getting away with having so much fun. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm gigging all the time! Here in sunny but microcosmic Santa Barbara, CA, I work in five bands including gigs where I sub in. My mainstay of live gigging is a 70's funk band called "Area 51" that has a horn section and kicks some mean Tower, EWF, and Avg White Band. We've been lucky enough to open for both Tower and AWB, and some members of Tower have actually sat in with us on occasion. (Shout out to Adolfo. You rule, bro.) Just checked my Palm, and I gig on average of four times per week.

The other bands I work in run the gamut from dance pop to classic rock. Playing live for an enthusiastic crowd, be it 50 or 5000, is the most wonderful gift I've ever experienced. I've been doing it steadily since I was a sophomore in high school. I'm now 32, and though I'm getting more in to the home studio thing, I don't forsee any future in which I'm not regularly uttering the words "I hafta get to the gig."

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I am back after taking almost 10 years off. I had to choose between payments on my $20,000 collection of gear in 1986 or college. I chose college and sold every single thing I owned to get out of debt so I could go to school. (Yes, it was hard to do - very hard) I picked up a cheap mid-range Yamaha PSR510 five years into this hiatus so I wouldn't lose my skills.

How often do you do it?

We now play around 8 times a month, and have been at that pace for over 3 years. We are taking a light summer of just 5-6 gigs a month after a very long winter of something like 16 weekends in a row. We need a little break.

Classic to modern rock - mostly covers, but nothing you would see every bar band play. We have one low-budget CD out, and have now built our own studio and are outfitting it with a pro tools setup to work on our next CD.

We try to have a big variety of material to play live that ranges from Collective Soul to Men at Work to Deep Purple to AC/DC to 3 doors down. We have 4 singers that can sing lead, so we can mix things up a lot. We also try to keep it fresh by picking up 3-4 new songs a month. I suppose we could pull off over 200 tunes, plus all the normal requested standards that we dread playing.

What's your reason for doing it? Income? Fun/hobby?

Started as an fun/income thing. Most of the band has been doing the bar circuit for 15 years, and we decided to put something together that we could take to the next level in terms of higher caliber material, higher paying gigs and bigger clubs. We have worked ourselves up in three years from playing for $300 at the corner bar to opening for national acts for 10,000 people.

Trying to get signed? Already signed?

...Isn't everyone? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif We have a lot of contacts in the industry, and right now its up to us to get a new CD put together. With the cost associated with playing so much, we are having a hard time having enough time to spend in the studio. Like any band, its up to us to get the ball rolling. Opportunity has knocked, but we weren't ready to open the door.

We also have the M-F "Real Job" routine and mortgages to deal with.

Are you enjoying it?

Everything but tear-down. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif We can't afford more roadies.

The last three years of coming back into playing has changed my life. I will do this until the day I die. (and I'll probably die tearing down gear)

-Gregg

I am playing in a church band, if that counts.

How often do you do it?

Two services every sunday morning. We rehearse saturday mornings. (Like a lot of you I give kudos to my wife, who puts up with this.)

We have two electric guitarists, one pianist, one keyboardist, one acoustic guitar/percussionist, bass and drums. No horns yet, but we are working to get a horn section up to speed. It's a big sound. I play just a few notes and try to make them count. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

The styles are all over the place, There's some indie rock, the occasional latin tune, some southern rock and so on. We actively re-arrange the tunes we play. Sometimes during prayer or worship periods the pianist and I will go all kinds of places because it's just one of us, or the two of us interacting at that point. Whatever contributes without distracting.

Man it's rewarding. Playing live, connecting with other musicians.. it's awesome. Apart from the spiritual benefits, there's a lovely feeling of community. It's fun to watch the young talents progress ... maybe invest a bit in them.

Cheers,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 07-15-2001 at 09:04 AM

How often do you do it?

Are you enjoying it?

dB

Interesting thread, dB! As you and some others on the Forum know, I'm a working musician. I've been fortunate enough to make my living as a musician for a very long time, and sometimes I have to pinch myself that I get to do what I love and earn a living at it. I gig at least 4 days a week, and depending on show schedules, sometimes way more than that.

I have my own band for concerts, but we've been on hiatus since I've been busy galavanting around the country doing the solo shows this past year.

I figure my reason for doing it must be insanity, since this is the nuttiest business around, but seriously...I'd have to love what I do, or I could never handle the biz.

I've never been signed to a major (although many of them know who I am and what I do, thanks to folks who have spread the word for me), but I've done well enough to have my own record label for 10 years, and I've sold more albums than many artists on those big labels do. And that's with the smaller instrumental market - if I was a singer, I would have sold even more....

Trying to get signed? Not really - once upon a time, yes, but now the only thing that would make sense is a distribution deal. I already have national distribution through one-stops, but it sure would be nice to have more coverage and support from a well financed outfit.

I have two albums to record and get out within the next year....#4 should be in the stores by November and #5 will follow early next year - so that's going to be my primary focus for the next few months. But I gig all the time to keep my chops up and grow musically.

It's not always easy, but at the end of the day...I'm very lucky to do this. There's sacrifices, but for me, it's been worth it.

lz

http://www.lauriez.com

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

Um, is this mic on? Oh, OK, thanks. Yes, I am. Playing live, that is.

How often do you do it?

Once weekly.

Praise & worship band at my church consisting (this week) of 6 vocalists, 2 guitars, 2 keys (piano guy and yours truly, the synth guy), bass, drums, winds. Mostly contemporary Christian choruses and songs, some hymns, some original material.

Besides the obvious (serving the Lord, that is....), it's fun. It's been the best way I've found to learn to play and it challenges me.

Are you enjoying it?

Been doing this for two and a half years and Wednesday night rehearsal and Sunday morning service are still the high points of my week. You bet I'm enjoying it!

dB

As many of you have read in other threads, I play keyboards for the country artist, Joe Diffie. I'm fortunate enough to say that I make a living playing music. In other words, if my wife kicked me out of the house I'd still be able to pay my rent...barely. Nashville sidemen are paid by the show plus per diem. My wage is competitive with what other established country artists are paying and we average about 100 shows per year. Joe is one of the few artists who really takes care of the musicians. We have a benefit package with health and life insurance. It's almost like a real job. Most of the band members have been with Joe 3 years and up, which speaks volumes about the working conditions. It's a good gig, and one I'm going to try to hang on to for a while.

Of course it hasn't always been this good. I dragged myself through the club/original band circuit for 20 years to get to this point.

And the on-going dilemma for the sideman in Nashville is how to make the transition to studio musician. Many artists are under the impression that gigging sidemen are incapable of playing in the studio. I'd like to think that isn't the case. (The players who have successfully made the transition will tell you to be prepared to spend a year in town doing nothing but pounding the pavement.) I have several studio accounts and have played on country master sessions, but I don't do five days worth of 10's and 2's. Nor would I want to. Playing live is where the rubber meets the road. You can either pull it off or you can't and I have to admit, I'm a sucker for an audience. I'll play live as long as my body can stand it.

Thanks for reading,

Ken

I do the one man show thing, I'm a singer/songwriter. It just me the DG8 and a couple of Taylor acoustics. I play festivals, coffee houses, songwriting clubs etc.. I try to play out once maybe twice a month. My goal is to end up with a publishing deal and then make lots of money. I have no desire for an artist deal, to much travel and like the family to much to be away that often.

Peace,

Fletch

Yup, playing live is my main gig. We play no more than two weekends a month, playing dancable rock (old and new). What's nice is everyone in my 5-piece is from the Midwest (SD, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio) and its great to have a circle of midwesterners as both fellow musicians and friends, especially here in Odd Utah. We don't need to get signed, we burn our own CDs and sell just as many as we would with a recording contract (i.e. just family and friends). Our big goal is a possible gig at Snowbasin, where some of the 2002 Winter Olympics will be held; that would be just too cool!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Wow! It seems that most of you are the REAL MUSICIANS! You play live!...

Unfortunately can't say this regarding myself http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif. The last time I played live was in year of 1990 or so. Back then I played bass in several professional bands. With one of them (called Ruja) I travelled nearly all the former USSR up and down during years 1986-1988. I tell you - that was really tough!... Anyway, now I have a day job and luckily enough the work I do is not far away from music itself - I produce radio advertisements: record them, mix them & etc. But yeah, I always wanted to compose my own music first and foremost then record it (if possible) and was not very interested in performing it live at all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif! I think that's because I'm not a keyboardist-performer. I'm just a guy who (once upon a time) finished the Georg Ots School of Music (in Tallinn) as a bass guitar player and then (very gradually) switched to composing (actually I tried to compose already when I was a kid!) producing, arranging and as a result - to playing keyboards (but not live, sorry!) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif!

Vladislav

I am back.

Archived