Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick the synth preset in a hit song

nursers

The title says it all - who can name some hit songs that have a really obvious synth preset on them? There's a Billy Joel song that has one, but for the life of me can't think which song at the moment.

Woud love to hear other examples

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this because I used to be a huge Prodigy fan (still am, but their laziness is getting to me). Everything on their first ever release, "What Evil Lurks," was done on a Moog Prodigy and every song on their first 2 albums, "The Experience" and "Music For the Jilted Generation," makes use of a Roland W-30. On their last major album release, "The Fat of the Land," a Nord Lead is used on every track. Although I'm familiar with all these synths, I can't point out exactly when and where the leads and such come in on the songs; I just happen to know these facts.

Mike

Sade has a new single out - I don't remember the title - that's based on the Crusin' Compton combi in the Triton. The whole song is her voice, acoustic guitar, and this combi.

Crusin' Compton plays a drum beat (from the Triton's polyphonic arpeggiator) and lets you play bass with the left hand and a smooth lead sound with the right. The drum beat and the lead are in the song, but I don't think they used the bass sound. There's also a record scratch effect in the combi, but they defeated that.

If you ever have a chance to check out a Triton, check this combi out. It's Combi A051, and it will blow your mind. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Of course I can't be sure about something as generic as a slap bass program, but I've always thought the slap bass made famous on Seinfeld was the one from Roland U20. Historically, the timing is right, and in terms of timbre it seems to be a perfect match.

Magpel

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Of course I can't be sure about something as generic as a slap bass program, but I've always thought the slap bass made famous on Seinfeld was the one from Roland U20. Historically, the timing is right, and in terms of timbre it seems to be a perfect match.

Magpel

I wouldn't be surprised. I have a friend with a serious studio, gear everywhere, & he uses the U20 for all of his bass work.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Magpel

Years ago, I saw a story TV about the musician who scored all the Seinfeld episodes (name escapes me...Jonathan something) and he was using a K2500 for everything include the bass sample. There's a number of clever vocal percussion samples (like a "pop") used through the show too. He would even score the opening monologue and punctuate Jerry's jokes with sampled sounds. It's very interesting to listen how the show is interjected with music.

Originally posted by mzeger:

Years ago, I saw a story TV about the musician who scored all the Seinfeld episodes (name escapes me...Jonathan something) and he was using a K2500 for everything include the bass sample. There's a number of clever vocal percussion samples (like a "pop") used through the show too. He would even score the opening monologue and punctuate Jerry's jokes with sampled sounds. It's very interesting to listen how the show is interjected with music.

Oh well, there's goes that theory. I guess if you've heard one slap bass, you've heard 'em all.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Slightly off topic. but has anyone else noticed all the "Distorted Reality" samples on the last Garbage CD (the v2.0 one). I can't say that I blame them, it is a great sample CD, but I sort of expected more from them.

Gregg

Gregg

Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzche

QSC K10, Kurz PC3, K2500x, K2000R, Korg Z1, Roland A80, Roland S-750, 1970 MiniMoog, Synthi AKS, bunch of old rack modules.

Wasn't the sound in Van Halen's "JUMP!" one of the presets in the OBX-a?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Oh well, there's goes that theory. I guess if you've heard one slap bass, you've heard 'em all.

You've GOT to be kidding! That's the thinnest, wimpiest bass sample on the planet. Comparing that sound to a bass is like comparing a General MIDI guitar patch to Jimi Hendrix. I heard that it was from an Emu EIII or E4, but wherever it's from, it sucks.

Originally posted by arsenius@hotmail.com:

Really??? - never thought it was a preset - what's the name of the keyboard - could You please clarify ?(I wanna buy it right away :-)))

hello,

if i'm not mistaken, it's off the sample library of the emulator 2. at least that's what i remember when i had my E2. i had the E2+HD version and i miss it.

g.

These may not be considered "hits," I guess, but John P. Kee used one of the "Beats Mode" sequences of E-Mu's Planet Phatt on "Holy Lamb of God" on one of his "VIP" CDs. Tonex also used Planet Phatt's "Bakatit" preset on "P.T. 2001" on his "Pronounced Toe-nay" CD.

Archived