Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Touch me...

Dave Bryce

Another in a series of pilfered threads...this one from the Guitar Forum.

Name a song or piece of music that just reaches right into your chest and plucks your heart strings...something that you really think is incredibly beautiful, either lyrically, musically, or both.

For me, one that springs to mind that has always gotten to me is a song written by Harry Chapin called "A Better Place To Be."

Anyone else wanna 'fess up?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JON ANDERSON'S 'ANIMATION' COMES TO MIND NOW AS MY WIFE PREPARES TO DELIVER OUR FIRST CHILD.

THE MUSICAL JOURNEY OF 'CLOSE TO THE EDGE' STILL TAKES ME AWAY.

BUT I MUST SAY THAT EXTREME'S FINAL SECTION ON '3 SIDES TO EVERY STORY' IS PRETTY POWERFUL STUFF

DAVE http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Big Dave

It is very hard to name just one... at this moment, two of them come to my mind:

1) "MORE THAN WORDS" - Xtreme

2) "Wish you were Here" - Pink Floyd

None of them are keyboard based... Sure, there are at least a 100 more I really like, but I do admire these ones simplicity and beauty.

GusTraX

P.S. The "Bonus Track" could be Erasure's "Always"

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I'm afraid that when a song really touches you, it's often for its lyrics; but I'll refrain from mentioning Italian songs, they wouldn't mean a thing to you.

So here's a bunch of pieces that always strike very deeply, for purely musical reasons:

Weather Report: "The Elders". Written by Wayne Shorter, I think it's on the album "Mr. Gone". One of those miraculous pieces of music that seem to come from nowhere.

Charles Ives: "The Unanswered Question". If you don't know it yet... Go and listen.

The whole B side of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love". A dream that breaks into reality.

J.S.Bach: Three-part Inventions in E minor and E-flat major, or any other piece by good old Sebastian.

Maurice Ravel: "Don Chisciotte's Songs to Dulcinea". Ravel's last work; I can't describe it. It just reaches my guts and shakes them.

Bill Evans: "Turn out the Stars", or anything by Bill...

The second and third movements of the Sonata op. 106 (Hammerklavier) by Beethoven.

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

My niece committed suicide earlier this year..

My God Steve, that hurts. I can't begin to say how much I understand you. I too experienced the loss of a beloved young person years ago, and made the mistake to write a piece of music following that emotion; it was a way for me to "talk" to that person again. But now, I cannot play that piece, it makes me so sad!

marino

Just picked up "Wingspan", Wing's greatest hits/history, and had forgotten just how beautiful the melody on "Mull of Kintyre" is, and only Paul McCartney can make bagpipes sound that good!

Another Harry Chapin song, "Taxi", does it for me too, along with "Another Park Another Sunday" by the Doobies; I don't know why...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Well, I tried to narrow it down, but...

- The first movement of Telemann's Concerto for Trumpet in D

- The last movement (6 voice) of Bach's Musical Offering

- Moonlight Sonata movement 1

- Weather Report's 'A Remark You Made' and 'Havona'

- Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons' (the whole thing)

- Peter Gabriel 'Red Rain', 'Shock The Monkey', 'Mercy Street', 'Digging In The Dirt', 'Big Time'

- Rush 'Limelight', 'Free Will'

- The Who 'The Real Me'

- Don McClean 'American Pie'

- The Beatles 'Hard Days Night', 'Ticket To Ride', 'Day Tripper', 'She Loves You', 'Rain', 'Penny Lane', 'Girl', ... okay, well, ANYTHING by the Beatles.

- Marvin Gaye 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine', 'Sexual Healing', 'What's Goin' On?'

- Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' and 'Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing'

- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles 'Tracks Or My Tears'

- Four Tops 'Same Old Song'

- Steely Dan 'Home At Last', 'My Old School', 'Ricky Don't Lose That Number', and 'Doctor Wu'

- Billy Joel 'Just The Way You Are'

- Stevie Wonder 'I Wish', 'Isn't She Lovely?', and 'Sir Duke'

- Santana 'Europa/Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile', '?Oye Como Va?'

- Fuel 'Shimmer'

- Stone Temple Pilots 'Lounge Fly', 'Kitchenware & Candybars', 'Tumble In The Rough'

- Jimi Hendrix 'All Along The Watchtower', 'Fire', 'Hey Joe', 'Purple Haze', 'Crosstown Traffic'

- U2 'Drowning Man', 'New Years Day', 'Wire', 'The Unforgettable Fire'

- Simon & Garfunkel, 'For Emily Whenever I May Find Her', 'The Boxer', 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', 'Scarborough Fair/Canticle'

- Paul Simon, 'The Cool, Cool River'

- Police 'Message In A Bottle', 'Walking On The Moon', 'Roxanne', 'Da Do Do Do...', 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic', 'Wrapped Around Your Finger'

- Sting 'Englishman In New York', 'The Dance Alone', 'Something The Boy Said'

Breathe 'Hands To Heaven'

- The Verve Pipe 'Freshmen'

- Dishwalla 'Counting Blue Cars'

- Smashing Pumpkins 'The Everlasting Gaze'

- Lifehouse 'Hanging On A Moment'

- Living Colour 'The Cult Of Personality'

- Commodores 'Brick House'

- Dazz Band 'Let It Whip!'

- Earth Wind And Fire 'September'

- Don Henley 'The End Of The Innocence', 'The Boys Of Summer'

- Hall and Oats 'Open All Night'

- Daryl Hall 'Babs and Babs'

- The Cars 'Heartbeat City', 'Just What I Needed', 'Drive', 'Magic', 'Best Friend's Girl'

- Garth Brooks 'The Dance'

- David Allen Coe 'The Ride'

- The Rovers 'Wasn't That A Party?'

- ZZ Top 'Tush', 'Sharp Dressed Man'

- George Thorogood 'I Drink Alone'

- David Bowie 'China Girl', 'Modern Love'

- Rolling Stones 'Waiting On A Friend'

- Stevie Ray Vaughn 'Tightrope', 'The House Is Rockin'

Standards: 'Just One Of Those Things', 'All Of Me', 'All The Things You Are', 'Fly Me To The Moon', 'Take The A Train', 'Stormy Weather', 'Satin Doll', 'Ain't Got The Swing'

And last, but DEFINITELY not least, is Jessica Rabbit's version of 'Why Don't You Do Right?' from the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

There are two albums that always get me going. One is the first Linda Rondstadt (sp?) album with Nelson Riddle. Chock a Block full of old torch songs ("Guess I'll hang my tears out to dry","Lover Man (oh where can you be)","What'll I do" etc).

The other is Delbert McClintons "Never Been Rocked Enough", especially

"Have a little faith in me" and "It's just the blues as blues can get"

Benmont Tench is all over that album with some very nice Hammond.

what a great thread. the artists mentioned have much that i respond to that way. harry chapin's cat's in the cradle immediately came to mind when dB mentioned him. such a sad loss of a great and unique artist.

Lennon's give peace a chance has special meaning to me. we sang that song for weeks and weeks going into years for saturday folk mass in the early 70s. Then one saturday, i don't know, though i suppose i could figure it out, if it was the fall of saigon in 75, or the aborted peace a year earlier, there was "peace". that afternoon, our little folk group of young kids headed by a gifted troubador led a HUGE sing along: "All we are saying is thank you for peace." I was maybe 14 years old. i still get chills to this day. tears were streaming down people's faces. everyone sang. if you were around during those troubled times, you know what i'm talking about. prayers were answered.

have to reflect on this thread. so much music has moved me. Mahler's 3rd also comes to mind. heard it at a summer festival for the first time as a 23 year old. again, tears streaming down the cheeks.

nice to be in a place {this forum} where people "get it".

Also, Steve. i am so sorry for your loss. my best friend took his life almost ten years ago. i miss him so much. his way out humor, his great musicality, his irreverance. the hole is still there. i'm sorry for your family. Chopin's berceuse makes me think of him, and is pretty moving.

This message has been edited by KidCharlemagne on 05-24-2001 at 09:11 PM

Dreams by Van Halen. If that song cant inspire or lift me...NOTHING CAN!!!

btw the fact that SO MANY styles and forms of music have been mentioned just goes to show how powerful and amazing music is...sounds corny but its true

Clapton did a benefit concert for that rehab center he opened up a couple of years ago. The version he did of ...ummm it was either Old Love or Bad Love, I alwys get them mixed up. But, the keyboard player played a solo on a Nord Lead and then Clapton soloed and they were two of the most heartfelt emotional solos I think I've ever heard. Every heartache Eric ever felt in his whole career must have come flowing out his fingertips on that solo. Every part he ever played in my life's journey was revisited for me that night. I've never been that moved in my entire life. I sat there in front of the TV and cried like a baby. I was taping it and I played it back for my son when he came in and sat there and cried again!! What an experience.

radiohead: the synth-voice middle section of paranoid android

pavement: spit on a stranger

chopin: Krakowiak Concert Rondo in f, Ip.14: Andantino quasi allegretto-Molto allegro. this one actually makes me cry, more from the memory it triggers though than the music....

-phil

Sting "the wild, wild sea"

Just knowing what he was going through with the death of his parents when he wrote that song (album actually), the lyrics and music reflect his unstability so clearly to me. It always messes me up.

~clockwirk~

Steve, my heart goes out to you. I know all too well what it's like to lose someone young who is close.

The guitar forum had it posted as "What's the most beautiful piece of music you've heard?", which kinda for me limits the songs that are inspirational, but rockers...

I'll post a couple of my all time faves...

A couple classical pieces...

Brahms..."How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place"

Ave Maria

From the traditional menu:

The (traditional as far as I know) song "Shenandoah"

Stepping into the pop/rock realm:

Beatles: "Here, There, and Everywhere"

Beatles: "Because"

Allman Brothers: "Melissa"

A song by indie singer Nanette Malher called "The Timber Cries"

Edging into the down home realm:

Emmylou Harris "Easy From Now On"

Don Williams: "Good Ol' Boys Like Me" and "She Never Knew Me" (both penned by Bob McDill, I believe)...

But, there are scads of 'em....

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

There are songs that I love, but the only pieces that "touch" me are from the classical repetoire. I don't know why this is, but there are certain ways of arranging music that can psychologically affect people (at least me) and the masters listed below knew how to do this best. Here goes:

Ludwig van Beethoven:

The 5th Symphony, 1st Movement (Especially when the entire symphony comes in with the massive percussion section)

The 9th Symphony, 4th Movement (Goosebumps Galore!)

Sonata No. 8 "Pathetique," 1st Movement

Sonata No. 14 "Moonlight" (entire work)

Frederic Chopin:

Revolutionary Etude op.10 No. 12

Nocturne in E-flat Major op.9 No. 2

Franz Schubert:

Erlking

Bedrich Smetana:

"Die Maldau" from "Me Vlast"

Sergei Rachmaninov:

Prelude op.23-5 "Alla Marcia"

Claudio Monteverdi:

"Tu Se Morte" from "Orfeo"

Johann Sebastian Bach:

"Little" Fugue in G-minor (played on a real pipe organ)

Toccata and Fugue in D-minor (again, played on a real pipe organ)

Claude Debussy:

Claire De Lune

Pour Le Piano: Toccata

Antonio Vivaldi:

Summer from the Four Seasons

There are several other works I can't remember, but that's all I can think of right now.

Originally posted by DOS:

Bedrich Smetana:

"Die Maldau" from "Me Vlast"

I love Die Maldau - I believe that it was the inspiration for the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah - also a gorgeous piece of music.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I love Die Maldau - I believe that it was the inspiration for the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah - also a gorgeous piece of music.

dB

Sorry, I am not sure of this. Isn´t it Der Moldau?

JoseC.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

- Weather Report's 'A Remark You Made'

THAT is a breathtaking piece!

For me, it's:

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman "My One and Only Love" (my wedding song, Mccoy plays brilliantly on this record)

Ivan Lins "Comecar de Novo" - is anyone else familiar with Lins' music?

Jobim "How Insensative"

just about anything Pat Metheny has ever done

Bob Marley "No Woman No Cry", "Waiting In Vain", "Redemption Song"

Joan Armatrading "The Weakness In Me"

Stevie Wonder "Superwoman"

Bobby Caldwell "In the Name of Love"

Chaka Khan "Through the Fire"

U2 "One"

The Beatles "The Long and Winding Road"

and from the '70s radio archives:

Todd Rungren "Can We Still Be Friends" (light and fluffy, but a sentimental choice)

10cc "I'm Not In Love" (never cared for the "big boys don't cry" section, though)

OK, so I got a thing for tortured ballads.

Does anyone else know Ivan Lins' music? Last year, Jason Miles produced a tribute to Lins' music with Sting, Chaka Khan, Vanessa Williams, Grover Washington, Jr., and a ton of other talent.

Well, as you may have guessed, mine are mainly guitar influenced.

SRV- Texas Flood, Life without you

Clapton- River of Tears, Tears in Heaven

George Jones- pretty much everything.

Waylon Jennings- Ditto

etc....

Any slow blues with some soulful guitar and B3

Can't tell you any specific names but I've been listening to a lot of Flamenco lately and find it to be a very moving style of music.

Lincoln's Top 10

10."Mona Lisa" Nat Cole (string arranger)

9."Creepin" Stevie Wonder

8."Holy, Holy" Marvin Gaye

7."Down Home Blues" Z.Z.Hill

6."A Love Supreme" John Coltrane

5."Sonata #1 in C" Mozart

4."Sketches of Spain" Miles Davis & Gil Evans

3."Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" James Brown

2."God Bless The Child" Billie Holiday

1."Giant Steps" John Coltrane

ps. I love so much music that this is an impossible task to be totally honest. :o(

This message has been edited by lrossmusic@hotmail.com on 06-02-2001 at 02:48 PM

"Loved by the Sun"

Done originally for the movie "Legend" as an instrumental by Tangerine Dream, and then later with lyrics and sung by Jon Anderson. It still raises goosebumps every time I hear it, and I have it on MP3 on my PC, so I hear it a lot

TG disowned it after they put vocals on it, but Jon's voice is so ethereal, and the lyrics blow me away.

"Soon" by Yes on Relayer. Same reasons as above.

"O Fortuna" From "Carmina Burana." Amazing piece.

"Air on the G String" Bach

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

"Loved by the Sun"

Done originally for the movie "Legend" as an instrumental by Tangerine Dream, and then later with lyrics and sung by Jon Anderson. It still raises goosebumps every time I hear it, and I have it on MP3 on my PC, so I hear it a lot

WHERE CAN I FIND A COPY(WHAT CD)OF JON ANDERSONS' VERSION. HE DID AN AWESOME JOB. TOO BAD TD DID'NT DIG IT.

DAVE http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Big Dave

Azure:

Send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived