Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Corner Compilation???

Dave Bryce

So, I notice that there's rumblings on some of the other forums about doing compilation CDs of the material done by the folks who post there.

Frankly, I think that's a pretty kickin' idea...

You guys want to try and do something like that? If so, I'm open for suggestions on how to do it. I'm thinking that the easiest way would probably be to do it as an MP3 site/DAM CD. Of course, if people wanted to send me CDs or DATs of their stuff, I do have a Masterlink...no compression...

What do y'all think?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cool, although I don't think I've got anything apropriate to contribute I sure would like to hear what the others have done. If not a compilation, why not put up links to each others mp3's?

Maybe we should set a date for everyone to have something in by for those who would like to prepare something new. Or if you wanted, put the real crunch on everyone. Tell everyone they have exactly one or two weeks to come up with something brand new and put the best ones on the cd. You guys up for a challenge?

Originally posted by lastresort001@aol.com:

Maybe we should set a date for everyone to have something in by for those who would like to prepare something new. Or if you wanted, put the real crunch on everyone. Tell everyone they have exactly one or two weeks to come up with something brand new and put the best ones on the cd. You guys up for a challenge?

I think we should do a "Survivor" kinda thing where we're all put on a desert island with a coconut and a 1980's vintage Casio synth. We'll vote each other off the island as we go.... Those who remain get to be on the comp.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

http://www.f7sound.com

Please, Count me IN !!

Just let us know if

a) I have to send a CD somewhere

b) With the MP3's of my site is Ok or

c) Brand New Material is required...

GREAT IDEA !! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Okay, here's a few thoughts that I've had on the subject.

1) I'm thinking that there needs to be a 4 minute restriction on the tunes - that way, we can fit 17 or 18 on a single CD. Maybe 5 minutes, but no more. I'm also thinking that restricting submission to only one piece per person is necessary.

2) I could just tell everyone to send me stuff - actual physical media, no email - and the first 15 - 17 pieces of music that I get go on the disc. If there are more than that, we do a second disc.

3) What gets on? Anything is fair game - anything at all, regardless of genre. If you're proud enough of a piece to submit it, that's good enough for me. We're not trying to get signed, so I don't care if the disc has a weird flow, or if there are some tracks that some people don't like. I will do the sequencing myself - I'd probably just put them on in the order in which they were received.

The problem with this scenario is that once I have 70 minutes of music in my Masterlink, what do I do with it? I could make copies for anyone who wants them, but that could potentially end up costing me some $$$, especially if I get started doing labels. It'd take a bunch of my time, as well. Plus, there are a bunch of you who're outside of the US, so the "whoever gets me stuff the fastest" thing isn't quite fair to you. I'm open to suggestions on this.

The other way that occurs to me is that you all email me MP3 files, and I'll establish a site on MP3.com. We can all vote on, say, three tunes that we like, and the ones that get the most votes will be compiled on a DAM CD. For those of you who don't know what that is, MP3.com offers a service where they will burn a CD and do a label for anyone who orders it of any tunes that you want that are posted on their site. The CD is sold at a price determined by the person who organizes the site - that'd be me. The least expensive that they can be is $6.99. However, I feel bad that Steve LeBlanc doesn't want to do anything involving them, and I really like his stuff...any way you can get over this, Steve?

There are several advantages to the latter scenario:

1) Anyone could just download and/or listen to the tracks that they like

2) We can have as many tracks as we want up there, and

3) It'd be open 24/7, accessible anywhere in the world, and free.

4) We can see how many people listen to the tracks, and what tracks they're listening to. That'd be kind of cool...

Plus, there's a way to have a CD show up at your door that wouldn't cost me any money or time - I kinda like that...I'm open to suggestions on this as well. The disadvantage, of course, ifs that they're compressed.

Y'all are kind of an opinionated bunch - let's hear what you're thinking...I'm open to other suggestions/methods as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'd rather not START with mp3 files - the quality is too poor. But mp3's may be the best way to distribute the final product. The four minute limit is very reasonable and a good way to get more selections on the disk. dB should select the cuts for the disc.

Who is out target audience? Is there a promotional angle that we could leverage with the Music Player sponsors, i.e. would they run ads in their magazines? Would we want to take advanced orders and then press a limited run? Or do we just want to go teh mp3 route and have them handle all of the distribution? Decisions, decisions...

Originally posted by steadyb:

What about sending in a blank CD or two, along with your submission, to put the final compilation on???

Ooh! Good idea! Then we can each dup our own for friends, etc.

However, I feel bad that Steve

LeBlanc doesn't want to do anything involving them, and I really like his stuff...any

way you can get over this, Steve?

heh, I'm not as much of a hard ass as I may seem at times http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif...if everyone decides this is the way to go then I'm ok with it but I do hate that company...for reasons that would take far too much typing and bore the hell out of most of you. (and I type 60 wpm so you can imagine I have a lot to say about MP3c) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

What about sending in a blank CD or two, along with your submission, to put the final

compilation on???

You know this isn't a bad idea if Dave has the time...I'd much prefer wav files over 128 mp3s. I want to enjoy everyone's music at it's best sound quality.

One other thought...

there are websites that allow you to upload 256k MP3s for free (MusicBuilder.com for example), I challenge anyone to hear a difference between MP3s encoded at this rate and WAV files. MusicBuilder also has an excellent CD program. Either way, we could upload 256k MP3s to a site like this taking away the difficulty of snail mailing CDs to Dave.

Just some thoughts from this end...again I'll say I'm flexible.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 05-19-2001 at 02:37 AM

Since we all have computers, why not just creat an MP3 CD, 256 or whatever? It can hold it all inside.

And one other thing. 4 minutes, for certain genres, is way too little a time. For a piano trio, 4 minutes means that they have to compress theme, improv, theme in 4 minutes, which means they'll have to either play at mm=400, or play one chorus. I would suggest we leave the decision of timing to each one, supposing they understand the limitations. (In classical, too, the time is predetermined! You cannot play a slow piece fast just to cut the 4 minute limit!)

Finally, it IS unfair for us living outside the US to have a deadline. Maybe a different deadline for us?

I think 4 minutes should be long enough for anyone...seeing how it's a compilation of several artist...you should be able to add your style to the CD in 4 minutes or less. JMO

Finally, it IS unfair for us living outside the US to have a deadline. Maybe a different

deadline for us?

This is why I think uploading MP3s to some website is the best way to do it.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I'd rather not START with mp3 files - the quality is too poor. But mp3's may be the best way to distribute the final product. The four minute limit is very reasonable and a good way to get more selections on the disk. dB should select the cuts for the disc.

Who is out target audience? Is there a promotional angle that we could leverage with the Music Player sponsors, i.e. would they run ads in their magazines? Would we want to take advanced orders and then press a limited run? Or do we just want to go teh mp3 route and have them handle all of the distribution? Decisions, decisions...

I guess, besides of the bad audio quality of an MP3 file @128 , the idea of the MP3.com site is the best for all of us. I'd love to hear you all in glorious 44.1 Mhz Wavs but it will work just fine.

The second point DAN mentions have a very special meaning for musicians in the seek of an opportunity in the business lie myself.

Of course, this could be made just for love to the forum (and damn, count me In anyway, I love to be here) but perhaps it could be promoted at a higher level... any suggestions ? Mr. Keyboard Mag representation... could you convince Greg Rule's team to do a report about this wonderful idea?

Excellent. Count me IN anyway...

GusTraX@no-sleeping-tonigh.com.posing.newmusic

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I figured it was primarily for all of us here at this forum. Like Dave said, we're not trying to get a record deal or anything like that, are we? Let's keep it simple and quick, and if one CD fills up fast (at one selection per forum member, 4 min. or less), then there's always vol. 2, right?

No, it is not possible for all people to show something worthwhile in 4 mins. As I said, there are certain genres that cannot simply be represented this way. By imposing a 4 min. barrier, you exclude some genres altogether.

Second, I still ask the same question: Why not make an MP3 CD, since we all have computers? It would take any time limits off people. Plus, one can submit more than one pieces.

I noticed this thread on ED and Chris's Music production thread.

Here's the link: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000234.html

They seem to be interested in the same idea, and have moved along fairly well... I just added my $.15US, but there's sure room for more input.

I don't know whether you want to join them, do your own thing, stay a "keys only" thing, or whatever...

but check out the rather long thread... there's some good ideas, issues, and comments that should be useful with your plans.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Well I don't think it should get that complicated...also I'm not interested in being on a Musicplayer comp but I am interested in being on a Keyboard Forum comp. I don't think Keyboard players are showcased together often enough.

I also think there should only be one decision maker who takes all the ideas and is trusted to come up with the final rules and plan of action.

DAVE BRYCE

Dave is the one who will make this happen...only he can determine how much time he wants to spend on it and he's already been accepted as an authority/leader in our small community. (Dennis/Troll might disagree http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

I think I'm right in assuming what we all want is a CD we can listen to that has a bunch of nice keyboard pieces...I think we also agree that we want as many of us involved as possible.

Am I missing a goal here?

Why not make an MP3 CD, since we all have

computers? It would take any time limits off people. Plus, one can submit more

than one pieces.

Again I think this complicates things unnessarily...plus I never sit down to listen to music at my computer unless I have to. Actually when I'm not working I spend very little time on the computer.

No, it is not possible for all people to show something worthwhile in 4 mins. As I

said, there are certain genres that cannot simply be represented this way. By

imposing a 4 min. barrier, you exclude some genres altogether.

I disagree with this, if you have a 12 minute piece there must be a shorter movement within that piece that can be included on the comp.

Either way...I don't think it would be a big deal to make an exception here or there on the time limit. I think most of us can make a statement in 5 minutes or less but one or two 5-10 minute songs seems doable if it's really necessary.

DAVE should be the judge and jury on these decisions...either we trust him to make a good CD or we don't...if you don't well why take part at all?

Originally posted by amiri:

No, it is not possible for all people to show something worthwhile in 4 mins. As I said, there are certain genres that cannot simply be represented this way. By imposing a 4 min. barrier, you exclude some genres altogether.

Second, I still ask the same question: Why not make an MP3 CD, since we all have computers? It would take any time limits off people. Plus, one can submit more than one pieces.

I personally don't like the sound quality of MP3, it doesn't have the "openness" that you can get on a CD. The reason for the 4 min./1 song limit is so we can all get a "sampling" of what the others on this forum are doing. If there are that many people who want to do extended arrangements or more than one song (I think we all have more than one piece of music, but we need to choose just one), that is what the "Let's hear it" post is for.

Amiri, I'm not saying this with any meanness or looking to keep anyone from being heard, just as an attempt to keep this idea manageable. If 4 minutes isn't enough time, what is a reasonable length??? 6 min??? 10 min??? 30 min???

Keep in mind, this is for us to share what we're all doing with each other, not make a definitive artistic statement by any one of us. If someone wants to show 5 or 10 songs, or an epic 45 minute composition, that's an entire CD, and by offering a 4 minute "taste" if you will, people can decide for themselves if they want to hear the other 41 minutes.

What does anyone else think???

Archived