Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Dave Bryce

Hello folks,

Just found out about this forum from the Yahoo AW4416 group. Good to see so many Kevin's around here so I guess I belong and can chime in also.

I took piano lessons and played saxophone in the school band when I was young. Although I made my first money on sax, it was difficult finding steady work on it so I ended up playing keyboards more over the years. Started out playing a Rhoads 73 with a VOX continental on top and a Fender Piano Bass in a three piece band. Bought a Yamaha CE-20 then the DX7 when it first came out. I quit playing locally and joined a road band. In the eighties, while playing around US and Canada we were sponsored by a beer company and through them also got an Ensoniq sponsorship so I played on a ESQ1. By the late eighties, we almost got a record deal but the lead singer got an Atlantic records deal instead and the band ceased to exist. By then I had picked up a Kurzweil K1000 and was controlling an Oberheim Matrix1000 with the DX7. The guitar player and I traveled around quite a while playing the Chelsea St Pub circuit but I gave up the road and started playing around Dallas, TX for several years.

Today, I am part-time musician and full time Region IX Liaison Teacher in adult education for the state of Texas. I built a studio way off the beaten path in a little town (pop.100). I converted the old post office building to record regional bands and songwriters. I mainly play sax now using Aebersold background tracks to play solo jazz gigs in area coffee shops or private parties. I am working on a solo CD on sax and using my keyboard skills to play all the background parts.

I still have most my old keyboards but have added a Roland XV-88 and Oberheim OB3 to my collection. Once you become a musician, I don't think you can ever really ever stop.

Thanks for a wonderful forum and letting me be a part of it.

Kevin C.

Coyote Dream Records

It's been almost 3 years that I put my intro in this thread, so what the hell, I'll update it. Can't believe it was around December 2000 that I start posting here, and I've been thru a lot of changes in my life. My original intro is still on the 1st page of this thread...

I'm 29 and I'm a production manager at a telecommunication devices company, currently living in bay area, CA. Work with music whenever I have free time. Didn't get into recording until about a year ago. Wouldn't have it any other way, though. I like my job, engineering in general,and it helps me buy nice gear :-)
Well, eventually made it back to Brazil, my home country. Who would think, it was the last thing on my mind at that time. Total culture shock, but it's been over 2 years since coming back, and I'm thankful for the music opportunities that I've had since I came back. Turned 32 last month.

I'm still somewhat involved with recording, although my focus the last year or so has been with playing, and my technique has reaaaally improved. I can finally call myself a piano player and do that proudly.

Grew up in Brazil (lived in Spain and Germany somewhere in between; and eventually made my way here) where I had my 1st cover band (high school)... Original education was in an organ. Currently taking piano lessons (about time).
Kept up with piano lessons - and made it a interesting transition between being mostly a synth guy to being mostly a piano player, and loving every minute of it. I'm finally confortable playing the piano and accompaning singers, something that I've learned to love. The 'intimacy' of piano and voice is something pretty magical to me.

Currently just writing and playing for fun. Planning to go back to school part time so it's unlikely I'm be able to play again live anytime soon :-( Maybe when I retire I can start playing again full time...
Hehe .. go figure. :cool: Started playing live occasionally about year and half ago, and started a permanent gig with a friend (Julie, who sings) last July - we're currently on a 'forced break' due to some circunstances beyond my (and our, in a way) control - still unsure if we are coming back. Still, they were a wonderful 6 months, and no one person has ever inspired/moved/influenced me musically the way she has.

Decided I will continue to play live no matter, and keep finding time for it. I can't believe how fullfilling music has been in my life the past year. I've met some wonderful people and made some great friends.

Started taking singing lessons a year ago too. What a blast! Just switched teacher's last month, the guy is an amazing piano player as well, so it's almost like having two lessons in one. I'm still great friends with the previous teacher as well, who managed to jump start me from an out-of-tune clueless singer to someone who can actually sing.

This has been an interesting forum, and maybe I'll get a chance to post again 3 years from now.

My current gear:

-Yamaha CS-6x; Kurzweil PC88mx; Alesis QSR; Kurzweil k2000R; SR-16 drum machine, Lexicon MPX-100; Rolls mixer, Kawai MAV-8 Patchbay, Alesis RA100, Alesis Monitor 1, PIV, Sonar 2.2, Soundforge 5, Gigastudio.

I can't say enough about the folks here. This community has really been inspiring, and the personal changes that have happened in my life has been a blessing, and there's many here that I have to thank for. I don't get to post much these days, but I still read almost every topic, and always wishing the best for everyone.

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Hello,

My name is Shawn, and I'm a struggling 29 year old jazz pianist.

I've been studying the piano for 20 years. Both in school and private lessons. Music is my life,identity and my reason for being.

My goal is to make a living doing solo gigs, which has been a trully rewarding, revealing venture.

My gear:

Korg CX-3

Roland XP-80(soon to be a Triton)

Several Alesis FX modules.

Leslie 122, 22

Pleased to meet you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello KC,

I suppose this is a good time for an intro, since I've been reading various posts on the KC for about a year now. This is honestly the most entertaining forum that I've seen in a long time, which can be dangerous when work needs to get done.

I'm not a hardcore musician, but I do enjoy playing in my spare time. I began playing 17 years ago, with dreams of becoming the next Nick Rhodes or Jan Hammer, but I realized I was really didn't have the talent. So, here I am many years later, just a "hobby" guy. I do enjoy the technology side of music, which is probably why I spend so much time here.

Currently, I play a Korg Triton Le and Roland Juno 106 through a Roland amp. Possibly looking at aquiring an Ion soon.

Thanks, and looking forward to posting.

JK

I've seen this thread several times, and each time I've been meaning to add my name to it.

My name is Raoul, and I was originally born in Naples, Italy, 1948. Came here when I was 3-1/2 years old. My dad, being from the old school, brought over his accordian, and decided his son was going to learn that instrument. Took accordian lessons into high school, and finally decided to learn piano and organ on my own. (I finally couldn't stand playing accordian, even though I did play several jobs around town). Wound up teaching guitar (don't ask) at the same school I took lessons, along with accordian.

Eventually purchased an old Hammond BV, and RMI Electronic Piano, played the Chicago club circuit with a band called Chicago Choir, which later became Rooster for about six years off and on.

Graduated DePaul University with a degree in Music Education, Instrumental Supervision, majoring in percussion, and minoring in piano, only to wind up working for an electrical contractor (go figure. They were closing down the music programs and I needed a job post haste).

From that time to the present, I've played percussion in a few local stage presentations, judged the semi-final music competitions for the City of Chicago Park District, helped a few of my brother's friends with their own groups, played in a house band (by house I mean that literally. It was a chance to have to meet twice a week to merely practice with some friends and learn tunes as well as keep up the chops).

For the past 25 years I've been working for an Electrical Supply Company as Inside Sales. About three years ago, I decided to get somewhat back into the music scene per se, buying an updated keyboard, as well as pc. With the help of some friends (thanks PatAzz), I've been shown some of the in's and out's and am trying to do something of my own music (per se) in my basement studio.

Currently own the following gear:

Kurzweil K2500XS

Yamaha DX7

Oberheim OB8

Yamaha S90

Korg KX5R

Roland JV1010

Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Acid 2.0

Sound Forge 5.0

I do want to say that everyone at the forum has been a great help in helping this old geezer on trying to get back into the swing of things. :thu:

Erlic

My name is Per Larsson and I'm a musician, sound designer, builder of sampled instruments and horse masseure who runs a sample cd company called SampleTekk. (voice from the crowd: "hello per!")

I live in a small town called Kumla, best known for it's prison..., in Sweden with my wife, daughter dogs, cats and horses.

New user, and this is a good thread to test my login.

Who am I? Thirty-something-used-to-gig-gave-it-up-for-career-wife-kids-dog-now-getting-chops-and-gear-back. Seems to be a popular demographic.

Gear? Motif ES 7 (DX and 2xAN cards), Kurzweil PC1X (Classic Keys ROM on the way!), Studio Electronics SE-1, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Waldorf Microwave XT.

Project for the week? Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. Any tips on how to do the synth intro with only two hands welcome!

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

Just noticed this thread - OK here goes:

My name is David 'Dasher' Kempton. I just turned 62 2 days ago and have been playing piano since age 5, professionally since age 15. Also I play Hammond organ synths and own (but no longer can play worth a damn) a sarod (classical Hindusthani music, I was playing the Chtlin' Circuit back east, came to CA to study with Ali Akbar Khan.)

I play jazz, R&B, standards by the hundreds, world fusion and pseudo raga that I think of as 'American alap.'

I live in the Monterey California area, and have a fairly decent studio, see the link below to check out the gear and layout.

I play music for economic reasons, of course, but mainly for spiritual and artistic/intellectual satisfaction - music is prayer for me, and the challenge of improvisation has been my mainstay throughout my life.

I have been fortunate to have played with a variety of world-class musicians, from artists like Dizzy Gillespie, Sam and Dave, Willie Bobo, Jerry Goodman, Michael Nesmith and Sonny Simmons. Quite a wide range of grooves there (wish I could play as well as any one of them...)

I play 4 nights a week, Thu/Fri/Sat at the Monterey Beach Resort/Hotel (sucko piano, one of my Hammonds, great view and great crowd) and Sunday at the Lodge at Pebble Beach (great piano, great acoustics, sucko crowd.)

That's about it. Anybody visiting the Monterey area is invited to the gig. Everybody else can wake up now...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Per Larsson:

My name is Per Larsson and I'm a musician, sound designer, builder of sampled instruments and horse masseure who runs a sample cd company called SampleTekk. (voice from the crowd: "hello per!")

I live in a small town called Kumla, best known for it's prison..., in Sweden with my wife, daughter dogs, cats and horses.

Hello Per! :wave:

Nice to see you here!

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Newbie checking in...

My name's Robert Bardwell, and I'm from Cleveland Ohio.. I'm real excited about this forum - just found it today, and I've already spent hours....

I'm currently the organist for the Cleveland Indians, and I also play keys with a band at my church every week.

I'm 27 years old - I was pushed into playing piano since I was 5 and didn't realize until I was about 18 that I enjoying it.... At that point I took it upon myself to re-learn piano the wrong way. (which I liked much better)

As far as gear goes....

Yamaha U3 - Korg Triton - Digi002 - Ensoniq ASR-10 - Mackie 808M - Shure SM58 Wireless - Sennheiser 835 - Some other stuff I can't remember

As far as gear I want goes...

I'd love a real studio. Next item will probably be a replacement set of keys for my Triton.

Look forward to talking with all of you in future posts!

My turn, since I've already posted a few times since finding this forum this week (can't believe it goes back to 2000 - how did it take me 4 years to find it?!).

Name is Andy Monk, age 28 (29 soon), from just outside London, UK. Married, with 4 great kids!

Currently setting up/rehearsing a local covers band (just drums, guitar/vox, keys/vox), aim to be gigging in the next 2 months (I'll let you all know how the first one goes!).

I'm totally self taught, but didn't start playing until I was 17(!).

I bought my first keyboard (after my parents bought me some two Yamaha 'home' keyboards - PSR variety!), it was the Korg 01/Wfd!

I bought it new with some Yamaha [NS10M] monitors and an Alesis power amp! Then I bought a car! Then I was in debt!!!!

My setup is currently:

01/Wfd (my 2nd one!)

Either [Roland] A80 or A90EX (about to buy one but can't decide!)

Roland JV1010 module

Roland MVS-1 module

I've previously owned:

Roland A90EX

Yamaha FB01 (FM module)

Roland Juno 6

Roland JD-800

Roland Wavestation-AD

Roland Wavestation-EX

I've played various covers bands, standard rock fare I guess.

Also played in the Tony Banks tribute concert in September 1998 (www.strictlybanks.co.uk)

It's been great over the last few days, checking out threads from you guys, and just simply discovering this community that I just feel I belong to.

Did I just waffle?!?! Sorry... won't happen again!

Cheers !!!

Hi - I've been checking in here for a few months - and am really impressed with this amazing collection of people!

Here's me: I'm Jon, I'm 53 and live in a small fishing/tourist village on the Maine coast. I started banging on an old upright in the cellar when I was 5. My mother took me to get lessons, but I never practiced. 5 years and 7 teachers later, she gave up, but I kept on banging.

In my teens, I really got into British invasion stuff - especially the work Allan price did with the Animals. So I took some pop lessons, got a Vox Continental and joined a band in high school. By my senior year, I had a Rhodes and was playing jazz (we were actually signed by Decca but the album didn't get produced). Sold the Rhodes to pay bills in college and didn't do music for years. But I always had a keyboard - a Wurli 200a - and even an Alpha Syntauri (with my Apple IIe).

I was a TV reporter and anchor (Bangor, ME, Lansing, MI, New Haven, and Boston) - but got burned out. I was the guy at the 10 alarm fire asking the family how they felt to lose their home. Moved back to Maine, started a new 50,000 watt radio station (all classical!). The company was Northern Lights Broadcasting - hence the nolights handle. Got bought out by a bigger company and became "semi-retired." Took a lot of classes at the excellent music program at the U of Maine at Augusta (a ton of theory, arranging, comp etc), and started playing with other students - most were half my age - but they've been great). Gigged with a prog/fusion band for awhile (but it just didn't quite click). Now play with ex-UMA people in a classic rock/funk band that gigs about 75 times a year, and jazz duo's and trios (mostly standards and some fusion) - maybe a dozen times a year. I'm having a great time.

I also produce documentaries, do occasional commercial voice-overs and I'm one of the town's elected Park Commissioners (I won with 91% of the vote -- but then, I was unopposed).

The stuff:

Yamaha Motif 7

Yamaha S-90

Kurzweil ME-1

KC-300

Wurli 140b (half-way through restoration)

various accessories

Baldwin baby grand

A Roland VS-1680

a Dell PIV 2.8 gHz PC running Sonar and Finale

That's way more info than I intended to spew. Thanks to anyone who waded through at least some of it! I've been hanging over at Harmony-Central for a year or so (it's a good group over there) - but this forum seems have a little more depth. Great to be here!

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Cool Jon. When we go to the water thats where we go. We eat at some place right on the pier there where you pick your out your own lobsters and they cook it for you. My wife and kids are going in June. Unfortunately I'll be in LA (on business) so its looking like Christmas week. I'll let you know though.

Yeah, that's Shaw's Wharf. The seagulls there are mercilessly hungry and have been known to carry off small children.

Christmas week is fine, too - probably not beach weather!

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Hello all, I am new to this forum, so here goes...

My name is Jeff, I am 23 in PA, USA. I create and record beats in my home studio (term is used VERY loosely)...My favorite style is Trance/Breaks, but i often venture into other realms... I "grew up" if you will on Reason, and have just recently purchased my first real synth. Anyway, here's my stuff:

Korg MS2000R

Yamaha 61-key MIDI Keyboard

Evolution MK-125 25 key MIDI Keyboard (my 1st)

Reason 2.5 (a MUST!)

Cubase SX 2 (I prefer, though sometimes Logic)

Sound Forge 7.0

A computer that's never fast enough...

2 Monitors!! (one of the best days of my life!)

And, next to the Korg, my best piece of "gear" -

the Keyboard Grimoire!

Anyway, if anyone's interested in hearing some tunes, my website is down currently, but email me at mastercontrol@plant-save.com and I would be happy to share! Or, I have a few songs on www.broadjam.com, just search for artist: Master Control.

"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm,

That will not forsake you, till my tale is told and done. While the firelights aglow, strange shadows from the flames will grow,

Till things weve never seen will seem familiar."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey KC,

My name is Brad from central VA and I've been visiting the forum quite often lately so I figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm 33, work in telecom and have played guitar since I was a kid. I've recently taken a hiatus from gigging and have been focusing on piano.

I enjoy stuff like Steely Dan, S. Wonder, Bill Withers...basically anything that grooves with soul. My rig is almost all guitar stuff but I just picked up a Yamaha p120 to get me going.(I promise no p-120 in mono questions :D ). I've already got my eye on a Nord 2 rack...G.A.S already?

Seems to be a really elite group on the forum so I'll be picking your brains for advice but I'll try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum. So can Scott Houston really teach me to "Play Piano in a Flash"? :D

• 1 month later...

Well then, let's introduce myself:

I'm a 24 year old piano/keyboard player from the Netherlands. No pro, but certainly no beginner either. My main activity (besides my regular work) is playing live in cover bands. I own a Roland RS9, a Yamaha S30 and a Nord Electro 2 Rack. I did own a Yamaha P80 (action was too heavy) and a JV1010 (which I traded for the S30) and am considering to buy a Roland RD700.

Musical influences/taste: jazz, fusion (Yellowjackets), pop. Keyboard heroes: Russel Ferrante, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Kenny Kirkland. But Wakeman can play as well ;)

Jeez, what a stacked deck.

I'm Jon. 50. IT manager for a maritime shipping company. I played a B3 in a couple bands back in my 20's and 30's. I gave it up for a straight gig, mortgage, wife, and kids. Diving back in head first now. I just bought a VR-760 and am having monster good fun...

http://www.wornfedora.com/phpatm/files/JonDoe/Studyo1.JPG

Nice to hang with you all...

No signature required.

I'm 38 years old, married, three kids. I have played classical piano since "forever." I write the software inside cable modems and things for a living, since that pays better than music. I recently sold my best guitar to better concentrate on keys.

I've been putting some serious effort into my piano playing again, for about two years now, and took up pipe organ at church about a year ago. Now I'm getting interested in jazz, pop, rock and trying to apply what I know from classical-land. Trying to become less of a "dots" guy, mainly.

My main axe is a Mason & Hamlin "A" manufactured in 1912 and meticulously maintained since then. For those who don't know, the "A" is a 6' grand piano. I consider it at least the equal of any piano that size ever made, though the action is heavier than some. I also play a Wicks direct electric, a modest organ of about six ranks, at a nearby church.

I've never owned an electronic keyboard of any kind.

I'm thinking that I'll buy something more portable this fall, probably a Nord Electro. The M&H doesn't lend itself to collaboration or gigs. I've played the Electro at GC and like it; it's exactly the portable organ/piano/stage piano/effects package I'm looking for.

Years ago I ran sound for a punk band.

Bartolomeo

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Welcome to the KC, gentlemen! :wave:

dB

I'm 50-something, now returning to music a bit. Was in a rock-n-roll band in high school, back in the late 60's. I still have my Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ, but recently bought a Hammond XK-3 - this satisfies my life-long desire to own a B-3.

I have always dabbled in music, but it was a series of recent events that pushed me back into it. My neighbors and I were talking a few months ago - they play at a local establishment every weekend. We got talking about musical instruments of the "old days" - Hammond B-3, Moog modulars, Fender Rhodes, etc. This inspired me to pull out the old Wurlitzer, which had been locked away for probably 20 years. A few notes were way out of tune, and a couple didn't sound at all. After acquiring a schematic off the internet, and finding a place in Great Britain to get some oscillator coils, I got the old baby back to playing condition - it now all works like the day I bought it! However, I then remembered all of its sound limitations, so recently got the XK-3 - now there are no compromises (except that I still have no talent!)

I am now interested in playing a few old tunes I knew way back when (amazing how the mind remembers bits and pieces from the past!), some sounds I could never accomplish before (tears came to my eyes when I pulled in the registration for a Whiter Shade of Pale the first time), and maybe a few new tunes. I don't really plan to gig any more, but you never know - a couple of people I work with have invited me to jam with them.

My first degree was in Electrical Engineering, which now serves as a hobby. (My master's thesis involved building a music synthesizer - didn't everybody do that back then?) I'm currently a professor in Computer Science, but consider music as my relief valve. I enjoy some of the new technology, but I am mostly a traditionalist (at least from my era of music) as a counterpoint to the rampant technology enveloping our world today. Thus, I bought an XK-3, but am not especially interested in the other admittedly fabulous keyboards available today. Maybe I'll think differently after I pay off this one!

I am in complete awe of the professionals who participate in this forum - it is a privilege to listen in and occasionally interact. At the same time, as some other newbies have recently noted, I feel completely at home here. I hope all of you will put up with a few rank amateurs in your midst.

- Bob Rinker

Hello, my name is Tommy. Im actually a bassistI started bass when I was 10. I play at keyboards, but by most standards, especially my own, Im lousy at it. I played when I was a child, but abandoned piano completely for bass (URB, tuba, sousaphone and bass guitar),in Jr. High, and very seldom messed with keys. I had to take some piano courses in college (it was required for a degree), but thats about all.

Now middle aged, Ive regained my interest in keyboards, and kick myself for not staying with them :( . I have an old Yahama SK-30 synth, a Korg DP-80, and a little Casio my brother in law gave me. I dont have dreams of becoming a great jazz or classical artist. I just want to learn how to play well.

Having spent all my membership time at the LDLD bass forum, I have only recently visited this one. I was hesitant to post here at first because I thought it was for the pros only, but after reading many posts and spending a lot of time with the search function, I realized you all are a very nice group of people, with a lot of patience for newbs. I probably cant offer much in the way of participation. I really dont know much at all about keyboard technology, much less how to play decently. I do see that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and I hope I can learn from all of you, especially since Ive been asked to play keyboards at my church. :eek: (talk about fish out of water)

Any advice on learning to play better is greatly appreciated. ( I checked out Piano Nanny and Chord House. too cool).

I hope it wasnt too bad wading through all this rambling.

Thanks,

Tommy

50 yrs old, been playing forever, am an accompanist for anybody who can play an istrument or hum a tune. Organist, choir director, private teacher, orchestral keyboards, chamber, pop, classic rock, wanna-be jazz, and I play a mean Christmas carol. Stumbled on to this forum while researching keyboards, and have to say I've appreciated all the views and reviews!

Sue

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

:wave: I'm one of the new kids on the forum. The name's Andre (or "Dre") and I live in Chicago, any Chicago folks out there? I am mostly a singer, or as I call it, a "musician with skills" (since I write, transcribe, compose, etc). At some point, I have covered pretty much every spectrum of music from formal training and concerts to intense academic study and live recording.

Like many of you, I have a broad range of musical tastes, but I often lean towards classical, blues-influenced music (e.g. gospel, jazz), bhangra, and electronica. I bought an acoustic guitar last fall and I'm getting ready to buy my first keyboard (Yamaha ES8). Before then, I've been fooling around with the notation feature in Cakewalk since before it became "Pro Audio." For the past year I've been trying to discover new ways of using vocals, so in a lot of ways, I'm a concept musician as well.

I'm originally from Jacksonville, FL, lived in Orlando for several years and I travel the world looking to hang out with cool people (especially musicians!). My favorite places are New York, Sydney, Berlin, Amsterdam and London. I travel on the cheap so I'm always looking for places to crash. It would be REALLY great if I could check out the Scandanavian music scene (particularly Norway and Sweden) Hint Hint!!!

Gear (Hard):

An old Dell

cheap computer mic.

Gear (Soft):

Cakewalk ProAudio 7.0

Acid

Fruity Loops

Gear (Soon):

A new Gateway (unless someone convinces me to get a Mac)

Yamaha ES8

A good condenser mic. . .any suggestions?

Sennheiser headphones

Note: If there are any Chicago people out there, let me know.