Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

One of the weirdest pieces of music I've made was conceived after a sort of open eyes nightmare (not really that terrible, just a fantasy fed by old literature and books) in which I was running in the underground trying to escape something, probably a daily routine....

An underground animation artist, Notamax, was introduced to me by a common friend who is the organizer of an international short movie contest/festival in Rome and we talked about my music and his visual art. We ended up making a video. It is also posted on youtube, but on Dailymotion it has a much better sound, and stereo, especially needed for all the game of spaces and distances I tried to achieve for this track.

Not for everyone maybe, both visually and acoustically, but to quote Peter Gabriel "it digs in the dirt" without compromises, at least this was our intention.

http://dailymotion.alice.it/relevance/search/Escape%2Bambient%2Belectronica/video/x2z7ni_escapemusic-video_creation

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

got some of the stuff up on reverbnation. Check the live stuff for more of a jazzy feel.

Is there any other place you have your stuff hosted? I'm not turning my popup blocker off just because reverbnation doesn't know how to incorporate an inline music player.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

got some of the stuff up on reverbnation. Check the live stuff for more of a jazzy feel.

Is there any other place you have your stuff hosted? I'm not turning my popup blocker off just because reverbnation doesn't know how to incorporate an inline music player.

unfortunatley not. I'd put it somewhere else, but I actually don't have the mp3's on this computer...

EDIT: actually, some of the stuff is on mediafire if you didn't mind downloading... but its really poor soundquality.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8a5ffb9ac82aa701ab1eab3e9fa335ca268a5b89dd8e59c7

EDIT2: found mp3's, but are not edited for length, so they'll have some space at beginning and end... uploading them to garageband.com... It came up when I searched for streaming music sites. I'll post a new link when stuff's up.

EDIT3: just spent 30 mins uploading to that site, to find out it doesnt accept non mp3's, and it tunrs out the files I have are WMAs... anyone know how to change them into mp3s?

And Kanker, thaks for the support! Which track did you get? My favorite is... hmmm can't decide, you should just get them all!

Another tune pretty close to finished for my upcoming cover record. The mix can still use a few more tweaks, I think...but in general, I'm kinda liking the way this is turning out. :thu:

Venus and Mars/Rock Show

Comments and criticism are welcome...

dB

It compares well with the original but I have to admit I'm hooked on the live version from 'Wings Across America'. It was written to be the leadoff anthem song for stadium tours and sounds great with the usual live chaos and audience.

I wouldn't worry about the vocoder. If you added cheesy fake audience sounds then you'd be in trouble.

This is more fully discussed in this thread, but if you go to the link in my sig "My band on YouTube," the three most recent videos are from my band's performance last night at the blues jam. I wrote Memphis and co-wrote Weak Young Blues with my guitar player. He wrote Misery.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted any jing in a while, so here goes. I did this today for a lady who owns a baby / maternity shop and it's named after her little girl who passed away at a very young age. Sad,... I know. The task is to write/produce something right now, slow, soft, and hopefully beautiful for them, as that's the direction you're given and here are the lyrics that you must write the melody with. Cathi always does the melody justice. Anywho...it is what it is.

XXXXX XXXXX

Baby & Maternity Boutique

When mom-to-be makes a wish

XXXXX XXXXX is on her list!

Theres so many things to see

Youll find everything you need

From pamper-me maternity

to infant gifts and childrens things

XXXXX XXXXX

Baby & Maternity Boutique

strings - vsl appass

perc, harp, & woods - ewqlso

bass - mini moog

drums - stylus

rhodes - scarbee

piano - ivory

hit me band

Nice writing Linwood.

I liked the colors/textures and voicings in the little interlude after the vocal. Like you said, Cathi does sound good there. I also liked how you played with the rhythm kicks..it gave it the feeling of an odd bar of 3/4 or 2/4.

Great job...hopefully she's a music lover and will dig it.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Thanks, bro. Yea, sometimes you have to get creative with bar lines and measures. You're watching the real time go by and all the time thinking how am I gonna slice the :60 into 10's, 15's, and 30's when I'm done and still have it make sense. Oh well, on to the next 3 that I'm doing tomorrow.

Smooth and classy as always, Dr. Bell - I'm always impressed by your orchestration/mixing chops. :thu:

Hey, check out the latest effort in my little covers project. The drums just got tracked last week. They need to be a bit louder in the mix, but I think this one's mostly there now...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Nice, db!! I always dug that tune and you guys did a good job of it. I've still got Beatlemania and those tunes still do it for me. I think it'll always be my favorite music.

I've been meaning to ask you; what's your take on ocean way drums?

Here's one I did this week for a local " strip entertainer." It's an orig. tune that he wrote and he wanted a demo of it.

rhodes - motif

bass - mini moog

drums - stylus

strings - vsl appass.

main pad synth - omega 8

little synth stuff - virus

hit it

Man, dB and Linwood, such fantastic mixing! The playing and arrangements are stellar, but the way you guys get everything to sit and play nice in the tracks is astounding.

I think some of my KBC buddies might get a kick out of this project: the 2009 Biennale de Montreal's theme is "Open Source Culture." I was commissioned to write a piece based on a painting, and now all the individual tracks, as well as the score, are available for anyone to download, remix, and re-perform. Submit the new versions back to the Biennale, they'll be featured on the site, and the best will be pressed onto a compilation disc for the Biennale next May. KLONK!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Brother Linwood - that arrangement makes my Philly Soul roots proud. :D:rawk:

David, you're kickin' ass, bro.

No doubt. :thu:

The remix thing still eludes me a bit...probably linked to my aversion to pattern based stuff...but I'll be psyched to hear some of the submissions.

Hey guys - check this one out. It's that cover of the Genesis song "In The Cage" I've been working on. I think I finally got a pretty good mix (and Linwood, those are the Ocean Way Drums on the left - I used Battery on the right to get a double drums kind of sound).

This is one of the most challenging pieces of music I've done yet, so I'd really appreciate some other ears giving me some feedback. :cool:

dB

Thanks, db. That tune has a bit of a corn factor, but I still enjoy doing it. And you know, with all the bass samples I have, I still go back to that mini moog for the low end. It's so easy to dial up something I like and it holds the low end so nice. I'll never get rid of it.

That tune you did, In the Cage....man that's an undertaking. Great job on that. If I were to offer any advise at all, and it all so very subjective, would be to take all the drums and buss them to an aux and put something like the MD3 on that aux. Then you've got a nice tight stereo mix of all the drums. Kind of like we use to do with a dominator across the drums. Get the drums slammin'. Push up the bass fader, but listen to the kik. Then push up the vocal, and then start to balance everything else with that drum/bass/vox mix. I feel like I'm sayin' more cowbell. It's easy for me to say, but hard for me to do,too....get the drums sounding huge and focused. Aren't you sorry you asked? That must have taken some time to do. Lot's going on there. Killer job!!

and a side note...I'm probably the worst guy to get mix advise from. I've been living in jingleville for so long, I have no idea what's going on.

I'm probably the worst guy to get mix advise from. I've been living in jingleville for so long, I have no idea what's going on.

Not at all. Based on your comments, I got into the OWD and tweaked the drums...don't quite want slamming, but more audible is not a bad thing... ;)

Thanks, Linwood!

dB

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, db. I felt like you today. This guy wanted something like solsbury and he loves phil collins.That's the direction. I usually tell them I can't do phil collins, but I "can" do bill cullen. Anywho...I think I better stop postin' stuff for a while. I might be wearin' out my welcome.

wood

Our blues band has three songs on YouTube from a gig two weeks ago. (All lyrics in swedish):

Öppen Eld (=Open fire)

Tomma Fickor (=Empty pockets)

Grävmaskin (=Excavator)

The first two are original songs - the last is a cover of a 70's song by Pugh Rogefeldt. The balance between instruments is not the best... but a lot of organ..! :) To bad the lead guitar is too low - he did a great solo on "Öppen eld". Hope you like it!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I already posted this in Dave Ferris' "original compositions" thread, but put it up here for good measure as well.

It's called "TO REMEMBER ME BY", a lullabye dedicated to my son and all the sounds are from the Roland Fantom X7.

http://www.mennodeboer.com/site/album.html

I never even knew this thread existed!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• 3 weeks later...

Two more from the covers project - this time, a pair of classic horn band pop tunes featuring one of the bands I play with (The Barracuda Brothers).

Make Me Smile

Vehicle

Any feedback is welcome... :thu:

dB

Thanks, Linwood!

These will also be used as demos for the band, so I had to do them pretty straight. As far as what goes on the record, I may leave them alone (probably will, as far as Make Me Smile) but I may do some alternate treatments to them as well just to see where the muse takes me. :cool:

dB

They do sound good. I'd go hear you guys and have a few, possibly several. I love that stuff. I'll bet recording those tunes are a blast, as well. To bad we don't do the covers comps any more. I'd be down for a '60's/ '70's disc.

I love that stuff.

:thu:

I'll bet recording those tunes are a blast, as well.

Yeah, it is. :cool:

We also tracked Brandy (You're a Fine Girl), which still needs a bit of work IMO. The three tunes should make a nice demo, and I'm obviously delighted to be able to include them on the covers records I'm working on.

To bad we don't do the covers comps any more. I'd be down for a '60's/ '70's disc.

I would, too.

dB