Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite solos?

Dave Bryce

Oops, One standout keyboard part I forgot:

Patirck Moraz's electric piano work on Soundchaser by Yes. He does an ok synth solo, but the EP work has this incredible energy. It's also pretty unique, as rock keyboards go. I read in interviews, that this was the first song he did with the group, and he was quite in awe of them. Maybe he had something to prove.

Cheers,

Jerry

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try to add some different solos to the discussion ...

Stevie Wonder - Too High

Tom Sholtz (Boston) - Foreplay-Longtime

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) - Your Time Is Gonna Come

Keith Emerson - from Brain Salad Surgery - Toccata, also Trilogy

Argent - Hold Your Head Up

Lyle Mays - First Circle

Michael O'Martian Coda section on Steely Dan's Throw Back The Little Ones

Sir George Martin on The Beatles' For No One (Yeah, I know it's sped up), also on Lovely Rita

Bruce Hornsby - various moments on the Harbor Lights CD

Rick Wakeman on Yes' Heart Of The Sunrise - lots of sections in that song

David Sancious on Sting's Heavy Clouds But No Rain, check out the fade out at the end of that one ...

Chick Corea on both "The Leprecaun" album, and also on the "Romantic Warrior" album

Joe Jackson from "Night and Day" - Cancer

I could sit and think about solos for days. I will stop now.

Steveedan

Since I'm an old rocker and have listened to Deep Purple, Icon, Dokken, Aldo Nova, Whitesnake and Rainbow etc. One of the solos that really impressed me was David Rosenthal's (not the one lurking here) solo on "Fire dance" with Rainbow. A fine Minimoog solo that you can listen to here:

http://www.davidrosenthal.com/rm/FireDance.MP3

------------------

--Smedis,--

Cool thread. I enjoyed reading it again. I always liked Greg Allman's B-3 solo in Don't Want You No More from the Allman Brothers Band 1st album. Tasty, breezy, light, just what the Doctor ordered type solo. Greg was never much of a soloist, but this one I always liked. I was told he started out as a guitar player in the Allman Brothers, then they picked up Dickie Betts & he switched.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I tend to agree with the above. The top of my list changes from time to time, and maybe I'm being nostalgic, but these are the ones I always come back to.

Organ

Chester Thompson - What is Hip? (Tower of Power)

Synth:

Larry Williams - Easy (Al Jarreau) - Just a great lead in/out of the tune. It fits and gives me shivers.

Rhodes

Chick Corea - Spain

Piano

Lyle Mays - September 15th (Metheny/Mays) -

*Don Grolnick's piano solo in the song Lazy Day - The Bob Mintzer Big Bad's 1985 Incredible Journey...

*Tom Schumann's piano Solo in Spyro Gyra's Song For Lorraine on Morning Dance...

*Clifford Carter's spare, but elegant and essential solo in Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight on the 1998 James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theatre show

*I agree about Lyle Mays - September 15th

*Lyle Mays' solo in James on the Offramp Metheny album

*Billy Joel's 16 bar lick in the middle of Scenes From An Italian Restaurant

*Harry Connick's Vince Guaraldi-esque solo in I've Got a Great Idea on the We Are In Love album

*Russel Ferrante's solos in Pass It On from the Mirage a trois album

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Oh, and the B3 solo in Green Eyed Lady is pretty bitchin'...

------------------

Cheers!

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

I've got more favorites, but these three can't be forgotten...

1) Deep Purple - "Burn"

2) Boston - "Smokin'"

3) Sugarloaf - "Green Eyed Lady"

Where else can you hear such great organ solos in popular music?

Wiggum

Well discounting just pure speed(Corea)and going for a more emotional context(chills), Id say:

~Bobby Lyle-Rhapsody ...nasty paino solo, played unlike any solo Ive heard.

~Jan Hammer- Snoopy's Search for The Red Baron (w/ Billy Cobham). . you guys know this one!

~George Duke- Any George Duke! Preferably the Mini Moog solo on 'Across The Beaten Path' from Jean Luc Ponty's Individual Choice.

~Unknown- Down By The River from Buddy Miles Live. . .Dont know this cat on B3 but daaaayyyyyuuuuuuum!!!!!!! Intense, fast, VERY emotional and LIVE!!

TROLL . . . ish.

I've always dug

Rod Argent in "She's not there",

Jimmy Smith - "Walk on the Wild Side"

Oscar Peterson - Georgia on my mind" (with itzach Pearlman)

Emmerson - Benny the Bouncer

Manzarek - The mosquito (on the Other Voices album)

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

more on jazz:

Keith Jarrett- "Autumn Leaves" from Live at the blue note. Amazing variety of textures and styles, each flowing to the next.

Chick Corea - "Armando's Rhumba" from Expressions. A beautiful solo piano interpretation of his own piece

Michel Camilo - "Blue Bossa" an unbelievable piano/conga duet that to this day stumps the UCR music dept. in terms of sheer skill. For that matter, in terms of playing with balls, few can touch Camilo. He plays with such ferocity. Granted, he rushes like a fiend quite often (no pun intended), but considering what he's playing, who cares?

Bill Evans - need I say more?

Monty Alexander - "work song" from the Concord Jazz Heritage Series. A great blues feel fused with modal jazz....his tribute to Bob Marley album is great as well

Oscar Peterson- Tatum resurected? Probably not, but has anyone come closer?

and lastly, who can avoid Count Basie? Two notes over 32 bars, and people would go insane

I can't believe so few mentioned Keith Jarret, his live playing with Miles is out of this world...

Zawinul is a master....his Bitches Brew work is novel still today.

As far as pianists, McCoy Tyner is my hero, second only to Fats Waller.

Did anyone mention Mr. Bill Paine? Dr. John?

Originally posted by meccajay:

<>

Fats was as perfect as perfect gets, I think if we all went back to that era we could eliminate our heroes of today one by one. Imagine Fats on a rhodes solo in the Jazz Fusion era. . . damn.

Fats was the man, pure character....Errol Garner was pretty perfect too, not to mention Bill Evans...heh, for a rock and roller I'm sounding like a grandfather, but they had a flair for style and melody that has rarely been matched.

For the monsters of today, Gonzalo Rubalcaba's work with Charlie Haden, specifically the Montreal tapes, is some of the most spectacular piano work I've ever heard.

Hank Jones? Teddy Wilson? Cyrus Chestnut? Benny Green? Michel Petrucciani?

There are so many greats!

Originally posted by felix:

And now, for something completely different...

I've always loved the synth solo in Toto's "Rosanna"

And even though I could care less about the song, the piano solo in Miami Sound Machine's "Conga" is pretty good.

Gotta agree on both counts!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

I agree with everything I've read. Let me add a couple:

Rick Wakeman screaming synth solo in Yes's "Revealing Science Of God" on Tales From Topographic Oceans. Rick Wright's horn like solo on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd. Joe Sample playing anything unaccompanied live....see him, hear him, you'll know what I mean.

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by ottodog:

I agree with most of those already mentioned, especially Tatum, Emerson, Argent, etc., and would like to add Billy Powell's piano solo on Skynyrd's "Call Me the Breeze" -- really solid playing!

Billy Powell is a monster player. Too bad all the barroom drunks have soured me on Skynrd's music.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Billy Powell is a monster player. Too bad all the barroom drunks have soured me on Skynrd's music.

"I Know A Little" is my other favorite Powell solo, along with "Call Me The Breeze". Trouble is, if you play either of these tunes the drunks will just shake their heads and go "yeah, but can you play `Free Bird'". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

And I was gonna mention "Rosanna" but Felix beat me to it!

Here's a little more obscure, but cool one; Tom Shuman's solo on "Breakfast At Igor's" from the Spyro Gyra "Road Scholars" CD.

A few more; Jan Hammer with Al DiMiola - Cruisin', Advantage

Yellowjackets - Black Tie

Joe Sample - Seven Years Of Good Luck, Spellbound

Bruce Hornsby - Harbor Lights, China Doll, Valley Road, I Can't Make You Love Me

Keith Emerson - ANY solo on the 1st and 3rd impressions of Karn Evil 9

To keep my bending chops up, I like to play (on synth) the guitar solo on "Hotel California". There's not a phrase in that solo without a few bluesey bends!

I wasn't supposed to narrow it down to just one or two, was I? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 10-13-2001 at 09:52 PM

><>

Steve

Everybody's listed some great jazz, progressive rock keyboard solos. Bruce Hornsby, Chuck Leavell and Billy Joel have been credited for pop. But what about old school rock, R & B? Little Richard's intro to "Good Golly Miss Molly" is a landmark piano "piece" to me. In that tradition, I have always loved the piano solo on the "Back In The USA" recording by Linda Rondstadt. Did Billy Payne of Little Feat play it? I hear it as a tribute to Johnny Johnson (?)for all of his great playing on the Chuck Berry records. Wish I could see a transcription of the "Back In The USA" solo so I could attempt to do it.

This message has been edited by bulletsteve on 10-17-2001 at 03:10 PM

Archived