Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your politically incorrect thoughts about music

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was lame, and everything since is EVEN LAMER![/b][/quote][img]http://www.romeosdead.com/middle-finger.jpg[/img] :D [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Britney Spears is more talented than Alicia Keys.[/b][/quote]that's not saying much...
0096 2251 2110 8105

Politically incorrect opinions? I'll give some to ya! The most politically incorrect opinion about music possible: [b]The Beatles sucked[/b] Sure they were good [i]for[/i] music, but there's not more than a couple songs that were worthwhile, in my opinion. Second politically incorrect music opinion: People who have never done drugs really can't [i]get[/i] Pink Floyd fully. Third politically incorrect music opinion: opera is annoying and bland Fourth politically incorrect music opinion: (maybe it's not all that politically incorrect, but...) The music buying public are stupid. They are told what to like even if somewhere deep down they know it sucks, and they let themselves be led like cattle.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

[quote]Originally posted by TBush: [b]This sounds nuts, but... I think Carlos Santana SUCKS- he goes sharp all the time, his vibrato sounds weak and his band rules. What a combination... :cry: [/b][/quote]Ah yes...I think he's one of the worst "popular" guitarists of all time. He does jam though...he's just not as great as the hype.

[quote]In my opinion - his tone is just awful. As well as Steve Howe's and Robert Fripp's [/quote]Dude...saying Robert Fripp's guitar tone is anything like Carlos Santana or Greg Howe's tone gives me no choice but to immediately get a flight to Estonia and kick your ass. Fripp is a genius and his many guitar tones are the best of all time...more importantly he is lightyears beyond Carlos Santana when it comes to creating different tones with a guitar. ;)

[quote] The Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame is just an excuse to suck up to has-been rock stars & get them to come to Ohio to pose for photos. Who's really NOT good enough to get inducted? Give Brittlely another 18 years & she'll be there too. [/quote]If they put brittney in, well that is just BAD. [quote] A politically incorrect observation: If Jesus is Jewish, why does he have a Mexican name? [/quote]I never thought of it this way. Good point though. [quote] 3. The Spice Girls rocked [/quote]EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!rocked what? [quote] 4. Opera is torture. [/quote]This is right on the money. [quote] Guitar bores: Clapton, Page, Satriani, Malmstein [/quote]Clapton : which year , he changed more than Miles did, and that was all of the time. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but which Clapton are we talking about? Page : this guy was the riff master , his solo's blew but think of all of the riffs he put out. Satriani : this guy is a straight up master. Malmsteen : he had his day , I respected him because he was at least original. [quote] Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was lame, and everything since is EVEN LAMER! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/quote]I could not disagree more.

So, it's THAT kind of thread, eh? SO... Lay off The Beach Boys. They had a good sense of harmony, and Brian Wilson's compositions and arrangements were far above average for the times. If you are someone young judging music of the past to the music of today, you are missing the point, as well as a grasp of objective music appreciation. Let your narrow-minded ass slip back through the crack in the floor it oozed out of. Sting was good at the beginning of his solo career, but lately he's mired in "Stingness". It's getting so you can predict what direction his progressions are going to go. Haitus alert! riffing, anybody who would use the term "rules" in showing favor for someone has no room insisting some OTHER silly-ass slang term needs a rest! Gratte, hats off to you saying something I've been saying for years to the chagrin and shock of the people I know. Velvet Underground were as bad as Dave Peel and the East Village Other. Reed did "Walk on the Wild Side", and that's about it. Peel's comic turn of the old '50's tune "Peanut Butter", replacing it with the word "Marijuana" was the only thing he did worth the time. Rap might take talent, and some might be fun to hear, but dammit, GO somewhere with it already! Even easy listening music comes up with something new once in a while! Dylan has been around for 40 years. And, being a fan for near that long, I can honestly say that many of his lyrics weren't INTENDED to be profound. Most often, he was having fun with the language and giving us a laugh. When intended, his lyrics could be intenslely profound, Ever listen to "It's Alright, Ma"? Or is that too old for some of youse? All "Grunge" music was just garage-band music. The same shit bands have been creating on their own since I can remember! Nothing all that wrong with it, just don't give it a "new-age" name and pretend it's something that's never been done. Even some kind of RAP'S been done for the last hundred years! Get your heads OUTA your ASSES! Santana used to inject his hispanic background into his music, and leave it at that. Not until recently did he ever make so much out of being latino. But, there was MONEY in it! For every N'Sync, there's a Linkin Park. For every Celine Dion, there's a Diana Krull. When there was Hendrix and Cream, there were The Ohio Express and The 1910 Fruitgum Co. There was Little Richard, and there was Pat Boone. For every hard hitting, cutting edge group or singer, there's a plastic, homogenized, bubble gum counterpart. Always has been, and always will be. If you're gonna eat the steak, you gotta deal with the shit. If there were a law requiring guitar players to play only riffs and licks that have substance and structure, Eddie Van Halen wouldn't have had any career! My inner voice is getting hoarse. I'll quit for now... Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote] Rap might take talent, and some might be fun to hear, but dammit, GO somewhere with it already! Even easy listening music comes up with something new once in a while! [/quote]Damn whitefang, I agreed with about 4 or 5 things in your post. We gotta stop this. I agree with you on the statement above. Hey, you rappers, no disrespect, but come up with SOMETHING new, please.

Too many musicians on this forum use the word “sucks” to describe why they don't like something. Please get a vocabulary! If music is a language and an extension of yourself, then what does that say about your music? BTW, [i]my[/i] music actually does suck, so I'm exempt :p . Paul

[quote]Originally posted by The Troll with Soul: [b] [quote] 5)power chords are a cop out [/quote]Amen brother. I try to avoid them like the plague , but it is so ingrained from the early stages. Everybody learn "Rock you like a hurricane". Power chord city.[/b][/quote]I very much disagree. OK, people who write songs with nothing but power chords(5 chords technically) are pretty lame, but some usage of power chords are ok. Some good examples: [i] As a transition between keys(or between modes) As pedal tones Under a melody that uses both the major and minor 3rd of the tonic key Powerful melodic riffs, where the "power chord" is basically performing the function of the melody. Resolving from a tritone, dominant 7th, dominant 9th, etc, etc. I mean all those intervals [b]resolve[/b] to the dominant, and adding the root makes the feeling of resolution all the more powerful(no pun) [/i] "Power Chords" are just the root note with the perfect fifth. It's an interval, just like the relationship between any two notes. If your against power chords, does that mean that you [i]never[/i] play the root/fifth interval together without a 3rd or a 7th in there so it's a "proper" triad? It's like a graphic artist saying, "Purple is an over-used color, so I never use color in any of my work." That's pretty fucking ridiculous.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was lame, and everything since is EVEN LAMER![/b][/quote]Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It's just that yours sucks. ;) Yes, "The Wall" can be indulgent at times, but I think it stands out as one of the best conceived, written, and congruous rock albums of all times. I HAVE to listen to it beginning to end. There are few albums as a whole work that I love and respect as much. The only other two works by othyer artists that even come close to me are "Abby Road" and "Electric Ladyland", and I still think I like "The Wall" better. Actually, come to think of it, that is same way I feel about [i]every[/i] Floyd album from "Meddle" through "The Wall". They are all just complete pieces.

OK, my UNpc thoughts: Most hard core jazz guys are show boaters. Thier only reason for being is to impress other musicians, not to make valid music. There are notable exceptions. Steve Vai, Malmestien and Satch: See above. Bruce Springstein hasn't done anything exciting for music since his first two records. SRV: I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of people saying that he was a Hendrix rip off. Albert King was a much bigger influence and if people actually KNEW SRV's material, they would know that. Yes, he played a lot of Jimi songs, but that was his hook. If you listen to the the Hendrix covers, Stevie Ray really went his own way with them. His version of Little Wing, as someone pointed out, I think stands above the original. Ok, I know he's not to everyone's musical liking, but I think Stevie playedith feeling and guts and did it with wild abandon, which I think is missing from a lot of the other "virtuoso" players above. SRV took chances with his playing, wasn't afraid to let a sloppy passage through because it fit with the feel and vibe of the song, and lived in the moment. I can imagine him in the studio, "Yeah, I could have played that cleaner, but it [i]feels[/i] good. Let's keep it." Santana: He's a good song writer, and has a great feel and groove. He plays from the heart. Ok, so he's not the most imaginative guy on the planet, solo-wise, but I'd take him any day over Vai or Satch. Today's "pop artists" are the future Los Vegas performers. Once thier looks go, they got nothing. If you have to punch-in a track that you are recording more than once or twice, YOU NEED TO PRACTICE YOUR FUCKING INSTRUMENT! I'm not talking about multiple takes to get the [i]best[/i] performance. A track that is composed of 18 billion punch-ins should make you feel really lame. Loops are fine if you don't play a particular instrument, ot have access to a particular sound. I don't have a sax player or a horn section at my disposal, don't a have a keyboard at the moment and I can't play the drums, so yes I HAVE to use loops as a compositional tool at times. If I ever have unlimited funds, I'll hire studio guys. I won't use loops of guitar, electric bass or male vocals parts. That would just be lazy. I dislike listening to Miles Davis. I think his tone was horrid and his playing over indulgent. I think Sting's solo material post "Nothing Like the Sun" is unmoving. Everything before, including the Police was pretty much genious. Kiss rocked, for what they were. I'm Greatful they're Dead. Most musicians are way too opinionated. ;)

I've got to tack this on, as an extension of my earlier post. I sure wouldn't want to step on any member's toes, regarding the music they love and identify with. It's not that I think SRV lacked anything. Far from it. He had something truly special. I'm just soooooooooooooo sick of the SRV worship that is guitar playing in Portland, OR and probably more places as well. I have close friends who are in this religion up to their ears. All I'm saying, is, is eeeeeee-nough. Music, when done right, leads everywhere and anywhere. There are so many flavors to enrich life and lead to more flavors still. I think SRV knew that, and it made him the giant of his time. Most of his biggest acolytes don't see that at all-they just want to be him. And yes, I think Mason Ruffner and Sonny Landreth and several other players are a good place to start looking if you want some inspiration and have done the Hendrix/Trower/SRV area. Just my two cents' worth. :)

[quote]Originally posted by timrocker: [b]I've got to tack this on, as an extension of my earlier post. I sure wouldn't want to step on any member's toes, regarding the music they love and identify with. It's not that I think SRV lacked anything. Far from it. He had something truly special. I'm just soooooooooooooo sick of the SRV worship that is guitar playing in Portland, OR and probably more places as well. I have close friends who are in this religion up to their ears. All I'm saying, is, is eeeeeee-nough. Music, when done right, leads everywhere and anywhere. There are so many flavors to enrich life and lead to more flavors still. I think SRV knew that, and it made him the giant of his time. Most of his biggest acolytes don't see that at all-they just want to be him. And yes, I think Mason Ruffner and Sonny Landreth and several other players are a good place to start looking if you want some inspiration and have done the Hendrix/Trower/SRV area. Just my two cents' worth. :) [/b][/quote]Don't get me wrong from my post. I'm not a SRV wanna be. Yeah, I've leaned some of his material, but because I really dig it and wanted to learn from it. But we all do that with our inspirations, right? No different with any other guitarist that I enjoy. I steal a little where I can and recombine it. Besides, I'm sure that no one would accuse me of being a SRV clone. If anyone comes through in my playing, it would have to be ... no, I won't tell you.

[quote]Originally posted by Creeper LeBlanc: [b] [quote]In my opinion - his tone is just awful. As well as Steve Howe's and Robert Fripp's [/quote]Dude...saying Robert Fripp's guitar tone is anything like Carlos Santana or Greg Howe's tone gives me no choice but to immediately get a flight to Estonia and kick your ass. Fripp is a genius and his many guitar tones are the best of all time...more importantly he is lightyears beyond Carlos Santana when it comes to creating different tones with a guitar. ;) [/b][/quote]Huh! I think I really succeeded in making one true "politically incorrect statement"! Look, Fripp may be a genius but I still don't like his tone, sorry. (Talking early Crimson albums here. He improved his timbre over the years a lot.) I really like some of his compositions though. Feel better now? ;) BTW, I also mentioned Steve Howe, not Greg. Oh, and he (Steve) can't play his guitar either. :D :p
I am back.

[quote] [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan South: [qb] (1) Grunge was the best thing to happen to popular music since the 60's.[/b] It was a good thing, along with ambient, electronica, hip-hop, and funk. [b](2) I love Whitney Houston's voice. Celine Dion is pretty good, also.[/b] Yuck. Whitney's okay when she sings gospel; otherwise, I find both to be overly histrionic and overwrought. [b](3) Kenny G's music is lame, but he's pretty darned good on that horn.[/b] Boring. [b](4) Sting can still be good when he's not being silly (which unfortunately is most of the time).[/b] I haven't liked anything this guy's done since The Police, except for "Desert Rose", which is soooooo damn catchy!! [b](5) If the Beach Boys hadn't existed, no one would have missed them.[/b] Incredibly influential band, especially Pet Sounds, which really sparked The Beatles. [b](6) No one needs to do drugs to play; it's just an excuse for people who want to use drugs anyway.[/b] Dunno....I think drugs have had a profound influence on music and arts in general, so I'd have to strongly disagree. [b](7) If DJ's had any talent, they'd be musicians instead.[/b] Many DJs have talent, and many people confuse DJs with turntablists. Turntablists are indeed musicians. It's a different kind of talent, but unfortunately, many people do not seem to recognize or acknowledge this. [b](8) Off the shelf loops are a cop out.[/b] Yes. [b](9) U2 was the only band in the 80's that mattered.[/b] Nonsense. [b](10) Screw you, I *LIKE* "In The Air Tonight".[/b] Not my favorite song, but it's okay. The best song that Phil Collins ever did solo. [/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b] 3. Rolling Stones suck, Beatles rule![/b][/quote]No YOU'RE WRONG!! They both rule! [quote][b] 4. Bruce Springsteen sucks, Billy Joel rules![/b][/quote]Wrong again, they both suck! :D [quote][b] 5. While I'm at it, Yankees suck, Mets rule![/b][/quote]Now you're REALLY wrong. They both suck and the Braves rule. Of course, none of the above are in the Series anyway so I guess they all suck. [quote][b] 6. As for Bob Dylan, to paraphrase the movie Amadeus, "Too many words. Just cut a few."[/b][/quote]Nahhhh. Bob rulez. He's one of the ONLY people that can get away with that many words. [quote][b] 8. I have trouble singing in tune so I'm using Autotune. If you use loops, ya got nothing to look down on me on. Screw off![/b][/quote]Yeah, well Autotune AND loops suck! So there! :p [quote][b] 10. I miss guitar solos but I don't want more than a minute at time either.[/b][/quote]Wow, I actually agree with you here. Quick, I have to think of something more offensive to say! Oh yeah: I think Robert Fripp's tone sucks too. And I don't like the way he plays either. Shit, I don't need this thread, I say all this kind of stuff every day! :D

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]Tedster, so you're saying that Carlos Santana cooks Chinese food??? I don't get it. :D [/b][/quote]HAHAHA...Actually, not Chinese. We play this little club sometimes called P.J.'s Bistro here in KC...they serve food as well as spirits. No shit, they had a cook that WAS the spittin' image of Carlos! We used to tease him all the time. He was a lot younger than Carlos is now, but always be asking the cook to come up and play "Oye Como Va" or something. Actually, funny thing was, he was more of a Metallica freak. Go figure. So, Carlos cooks American food and plays Metallica. Got it?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived