Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your politically incorrect thoughts about music

Got any politically incorrect, cutting against the grain thoughts about music, musicians, music technology, or the music business? Here are a few of mine in no particular order. (1) Grunge was the best thing to happen to popular music since the 60's. (2) I love Whitney Houston's voice. Celine Dion is pretty good, also. (3) Kenny G's music is lame, but he's pretty darned good on that horn. (4) Sting can still be good when he's not being silly (which unfortunately is most of the time). (5) If the Beach Boys hadn't existed, no one would have missed them. (6) No one needs to do drugs to play; it's just an excuse for people who want to use drugs anyway. (7) If DJ's had any talent, they'd be musicians instead. (8) Off the shelf loops are a cop out. (9) U2 was the only band in the 80's that mattered. (10) Screw you, I *LIKE* "In The Air Tonight". :D Your turn...

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rap music sucks because it perpetuates the very worst stereotypes of black America. As a people, there should be a higher aim. I guess that's why white suburban kids buy it up... it's tough and novel. Don't flame me, this is politically incorrect. (Note: I love good, soulfull Hip-Hop)

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] (1) Grunge was the best thing to happen to popular music since the 60's.[/b] I totally agree. That and hip hop. [b](2) I love Whitney Houston's voice. Celine Dion is pretty good, also.[/b] Whitney's got a great voice. Celine is a lifeless emulation of Barbra Streisand. [b](3) Kenny G's music is lame, but he's pretty darned good on that horn.[/b] He's always flat. [b](4) Sting can still be good when he's not being silly (which unfortunately is most of the time).[/b] I like his silliness. Remember "Murder by Numbers"? [b](5) If the Beach Boys hadn't existed, no one would have missed them.[/b] Dude, you are seriously ignoring the influence that Pet Sounds had on the entire music industry, notably a little band called the Beatles. [b](6) No one needs to do drugs to play; it's just an excuse for people who want to use drugs anyway.[/b] Oh, yeah, right. I'm sure somebody would've written "I am the Walrus" totally sober, eventually. :rolleyes: [b](7) If DJ's had any talent, they'd be musicians instead.[/b] Some DJs [i]are[/i] musicians. DJ Shadow, for example. [b](8) Off the shelf loops are a cop out.[/b] I couldn't agree with you more on this point. You are correct, sir! [b](9) U2 was the only band in the 80's that mattered.[/b] And the '80s was the only decade [i]in which[/i] U2 mattered. [b](10) Screw you, I *LIKE* "In The Air Tonight".[/b] Yeah, well fuck you, too. :D So do I. In fact, I even like Collins-era Genesis. (flame suit on)[/quote]I'll have to come up with a few of my own later... ;)

I can respond to only these... Sting DOES need to slow down. He's beginning to enter the deadly realm of self parody. Happens often. If U2 was the best thing to come out of the '80's, then it's a good thing the '80's are gone. I always thought I played BETTER on dope! That is, until I heard a recording of me playing on dope. I then knew what Carlie Parker must have felt like when Mingus played him a tape taken while Bird was high, was told it was some new guy, and Bird ragged him royal 'till let in on the ruse. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote] [b](5) If the Beach Boys hadn't existed, no one would have missed them.[/b] Dude, you are seriously ignoring the influence that Pet Sounds had on the entire music industry, notably a little band called the Beatles. [/quote]So Sgt. Pepper's might not have been so overblown! So what! The Beatles were getting quite experimental on their own by then. It's not like they would have kept rehashing Love Me Do without the guidance of Pet Sounds. [quote] [b](6) No one needs to do drugs to play; it's just an excuse for people who want to use drugs anyway.[/b] Oh, yeah, right. I'm sure somebody would've written "I am the Walrus" totally sober, eventually. :rolleyes: [/quote]I'm not implying that drugs haven't led to certain ideas happening. But I don't think that John said, "Oh, darn, there's just no way that I can finish this song unless I take these horrible drugs that I loathe so much." Face it. He was into the drugs because he LIKED them, not because he needed help to write a trippy song about sea mammals.

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]Yeah, Dan, but I agreed on all the other shit! We're still friends, aren't we? :D BTW, I never really cared much for the Beach Boys either![/b][/quote]Oh, absolutely!!! I'm always glad to find fellow Phil Collins fans. :D

I am going to do a full reply here in a minute, but I had to say something here: [quote]10) Screw you, I *LIKE* "In The Air Tonight". Yeah, well fuck you, too. So do I. In fact, I even like Collins-era Genesis. (flame suit on) [/quote]This is the funniest shit I have heard in days!!!!! lol lol

[quote]Originally posted by ThisDeadDude Rap music sucks because it perpetuates the very worst stereotypes of black America. As a people, there should be a higher aim. I guess that's why white suburban kids buy it up... it's tough and novel. Don't flame me, this is politically incorrect. (Note: I love good, soulfull Hip-Hop) [/quote]So true. Great, Great, Great Topic Dan. Man, we should hook up musically for real. I agree with so many of your "incorrect" :D feelings about music. Anyway, let's get to it. R&B of today sucks so bad with it's smoothed out Hip-Hop always talking about sex or selfish love. Neo-soul SUCKS. It's got no soul, it's NEO-Soul, sorta like bullshit soul. Almost every popular artists gets on my fucking nerve. Nelly-ARRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that shit. Eminem-ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! That voice, that annoying fucking voice. Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, and Layne Staley were incredible singers that none of these LIMp LINKIN KORN POPS can touch. POPULAR MUSIC SUCKS FOR THE MOST PART. NOTHING IS AUTHENTIC. Auto-tune is for people who can't sing. PERIOD. Avril Lasagna, and all of the new young non-writing kids should learn how to write a decent or atleast halfway decent song before they're signed and promoted to high heaven. There should be a law to forbid Shakira to ever sing or make a record ever. She can still shake her ass though. There should be a law to forbid gorgeous talented actresses(a la J-Lo) from making records. There should be a law forcing Murder Inc. to not I said NOT STEAL A WELL-KNOWN MELODY and MAKE SOME MEDIOCRE SONG OUT OF IT. AAARHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! OK I'm going to stop now. Disclaimer-Please take no offense. These opinions come from a little man who can at times be a big asshole.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Not to get too off topic here, but isn't it funny that Genesis had sooo many fans until Collins got into the "Perry Como" thing? Do music for a Disney movie, and all of a sudden you've ALWAYS sucked! I just don't buy it. I liked the Collins-era Genesis as well. Will probably NEVER hate "Wind and Wuthering". As for The Beach Boys? Well, I thought they were alright. Actually, if you try to follow many of Brian Wilson's post-surfer era chord progressions, you'll find they were more thoughtfully put together than most rock tunes of the time. You don't HAVE to like it to admit some of it was a cut above. Whitefang

I love Sting. To hell with you bastards :D . Then, again, I haven't bought anything since Soul Cages, which is one of my all-time favorite albums BTW. hmmm.......Does Sting Suck, Now? Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

1. Where are my fucking doo rag head tie, pants crotch at the knees slinging, vowel drwaling, word truncuating niggers at? 2. If style and individuality are so important, why does everybody want to use what everyone else is using (U87 etc)? 3. Why does Nika have to ask [i]us[/i] about what his next paper should be on? 4. How come George donated $$$MEGA BUCKS to the LEFT Coast dinner, but squat to our Dec 2001 AES shinding? Don't he want us to be drunk and miserable too the next morning? 5. How come Wewus have so much brilliance and helpful info, yet buries those 430 posts in 2300 post of shit? 6. *All* the darn ("popular") radio stations in NY play the same stuff for 14-21 days, then puke it out of their systems, and then start another 14-21 days of some other shit. Why can't they play some stuff from other genres/eras "in the fucking mix"??? 7. Every time Madonna (or any other major AOL/Time Warner artiste) farts, TIME Magazine finds some way to get it in print (see current issue). Are we too simple minded to connect the publicity dots?

I don't know if any of that Sting stuff was aimed at me, but all I meant was that it seems it's getting to the point where Sting is just doing Sting. For Sting's sake. Quite often, some musicians pump out the CD's without putting too much into them. When you KNOW they have talent, and stop HEARING it lately, you know they're headed for burn-out. I always kind of LIKED Sting. His line about politicians, "They all look like game show hosts to me.", will always get a :thu: from me! Whitefang

[quote]Originally posted by dblackjedi: [b]I love Sting. To hell with you bastards :D . Then, again, I haven't bought anything since Soul Cages, which is one of my all-time favorite albums BTW. hmmm.......Does Sting Suck, Now? Jedi[/b][/quote]Ten Summoner's Tales had a handful of good songs. Don't know about the latest couple of disks. Nothing Like The Sun is one of the greatest records ever, though. During a rough period in my life, I couldn't get to sleep without having NLTS playing on my stereo. It was recorded just after his mother died, and the soul and the sadness is so genuine. It's always really touched me.

ok, i'll play.... 1)glam rock still sucks no matter how 'nostalgic' you think it is. 2)i wish the hives, the vines and the strokes would all take a long walk off of a short pier. 3)bob dylan sucks...yup i said it. bob dylan sucks tha balls off of a rhino. 4)distortion pedals are so 1992. 5)power chords are a copout. 6)Frank Zappa was the greatest musician to ever walk the face of this earth. period. 7)loudness wars are here to stay whether you like it or not, so go out and get an L2 and shut the f*ck up. there. :D now if you wanna flame me for what i said, go for it. after all this is a 'politally incorrect' thread, right?
0096 2251 2110 8105

Damn, I forgot about Nothing Like the Sun. You're right Dan, artistically that was probably the better album. I don't think anything can get much better than "Fragile." Really great album. I think it's a personal thing with me and Soul Cages. It was one of the first "white" albums I every bought. It was the moment the worm turned for me, and I could tell the world I actually like Rock or rather to be more accurate "white boy music." That was a big step for me. Plus, the Soul Cages talks about the Sea and Rain, and I am a water loving fool. I got to move to Seattle. Apologies for getting serious on this very FUN thread. Back to the bashing, Jedi

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[quote]Originally posted by Sactophagus ok, i'll play.... 1) [b]glam rock still sucks no matter how 'nostalgic' you think it is.[/b] Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet was a good freakin' album. 2) [b]i wish the hives, the vines and the strokes would all take a long walk off of a short pier.[/b] Damn Straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3) [b]bob dylan sucks...yup i said it. bob dylan sucks tha balls off of a rhino.[/b] You BASTARD :mad: :D 4) [b]distortion pedals are so 1992.[/b] Fuck You :D 5) [b]power chords are a copout.[/b] Fuck You, Fuck You :D :D 6) [b]Frank Zappa was the greatest musician to ever walk the face of this earth. period.[/b] WTF 7) [b]loudness wars are here to stay whether you like it or not, so go out and get an L2 and shut the f*ck up.[/b] LMAO, Sad times we're in. there. now if you wanna flame me for what i said, go for it. after all this is a 'politally incorrect' thread, right? All in good fun. I feel ya :thu: [/quote]I'm LMAO over here, I better stop, I'll be up all night with you folks. Jedi

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland - excellent musicians, horrible songwriters. ... Andy's primal scream spew: "Every woman I go out with Becomes my mother in the end Every woman I go out with Becomes my mother in the end - MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" ... Stew's contribution to the art of rhyming: "Don't tell the director I said so But are you safe Miss Gradenko?" ... And all of this verbal genius crammed into ONE small album!!! Good grief, who hid the barf bags??

[quote] 5)power chords are a cop out [/quote]Amen brother. I try to avoid them like the plague , but it is so ingrained from the early stages. Everybody learn "Rock you like a hurricane". Power chord city.

You guys are just a bunch of whiney, untalented, jealous losers who all wish you were me. Don't deny it. I rule, even when I suck!
The above post is a celebrity impersonation. It is in no way intended to represent the actual thoughts or opinions of Gordon Sumners. It is meant only to be parody. But wait, there's more! Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Sting: [b]You guys are just a bunch of whiney, untalented, jealous losers who all wish you were me. Don't deny it. I rule, even when I suck![/b][/quote]Up a bit late now, aren't we, old chap? Been giving it to the missus for the past eight hours, 'ave we? Blimey! We don't wish we was you. We wish we was Stewart, we do! Fine, upstanding American chap, 'e is! Son of a CIA operative! 'ow's about that, matey? Not some arse pinchin' pencil necked little girls' school teacher pervert, then. Yeeessss!! We've 'eard about all that then, 'aven't we? "Don't stand so close to me," INDEED! What's all THAT rot? YEW should be ASHAMED o' yerself!! :D

Bollocks, Daniel! You do a better impression of me than even I! Bloody yankee bah-stid!!!
The above post is a celebrity impersonation. It is in no way intended to represent the actual thoughts or opinions of Gordon Sumners. It is meant only to be parody. But wait, there's more! Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

originally posted by thisDeadDude: [quote] Rap music sucks because it perpetuates the very worst stereotypes of black America. As a people, there should be a higher aim. [/quote]What do you mean "as a people"? Do you mean black people or do you mean human beings? The videos I see as I blow by BET are criminal and are no reflection of my life. Black people don't not control what the white suburban kids listen to. Maybe more later, I have to go.

Archived