Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your politically incorrect thoughts about music

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b] [quote] [b](7) If DJ's had any talent, they'd be musicians instead.[/b] Some DJs [i]are[/i] musicians. DJ Shadow, for example. [/quote][/b][/quote]Ah! But DJ Shadow has no talent. His records sound like an accident in an industrial estate. [quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b] [quote] [b](9) U2 was the only band in the 80's that mattered.[/b] And the '80s was the only decade [i]in which[/i] U2 mattered. [/quote][/b][/quote]Right! That's it! Count dracuBunny, outside now. :mad: DISCLAIMER: I was listening to "Hysteria" by Def Leppard this morning. My opinions and taste are therefore questionable.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by sactophagus: [b]ok, i'll play.... 2)i wish the hives, the vines and the strokes would all take a long walk off of a short pier. 3)bob dylan sucks...yup i said it. bob dylan sucks tha balls off of a rhino. 5)power chords are a copout. [/b][/quote]You speak the truth. The Hives/Vines/Strokes/Shites etc. can't play and therefore they sound like shit. That's why the rest of us spend time learning how to play our instruments: So we don't sound like we're playing with gloves on. Mind you, we're not millionaires... Bob Dylan can't sing so I don't listen to him. I like his songs, as long as someone else plays them. Power chords [i]are[/i] a copout - but they're great fun! [img]http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon12.gif[/img]

[list] [*]The people who complain about the Rolling Stones still touring are often the same people who say they wish the Beatles were still alive and touring. AARGH!!!!! The Stones are the greatest rock band ever, the most legendary group still performing and anyone who complains about them because of their age should be shot, hanged and shot again, twice. [img]http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon11.gif[/img] [*]There should be a law banning dodgy singers or bands from covering (and murdering) Motown classics without prior approval from someone with taste, like me. This especially applies to "Making the Band", "Popstars", "American Idol", "Music Marketer's Wet Dream", etc. [img]http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif[/img] [*]That Gregg Alexander character with the hat from the New Radicals should finally crawl completely into his hat and stop writing songs for other people. I'm sick of hearing those songs on the radio 'cos they all sound the same. Maybe that plague is less prevalent in America. I hope so, for their sake! [img]http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon13.gif[/img] [*]Alicia Keys must realise that I should be her touring and recording bassist, and stop wasting time with other players just because they're more talented and professional than I am. [img]http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif[/img] [/list]

Here's my musical incorrect thoughts that get me into trouble. 1. Anyone who says they 'hate the Beatles', hasn't a musical clue and should quit now before they embarrass themselves any further. 2. I like 45's/singles. They are *supposed* to represent the best of the album/CD. 3. Most classical music puts me to sleep. :bor: 4. Opera is torture. 5. Neil Young will never sell out and should be highly regarded for that. 6. The Kinks are all but forgotten these days, what is wrong?!? 7. The musicians in the J. Geils band were great. 8. Be Bop Jazz (later period, w/no central key)is the worst garbage/noise known to man. 9. Too bad most country music is ruined by the vocal(s) twang 'cuz they sure have some great players. 10. I don't like Rap yet, sans LL Cool J- unplugged and the 'Dream Warriors' (Wash your face in my sink) 11. I used to like 'Art Rock' then I grew up and realized it was an act of pompous hot-dogging.
In two days, it won't matter.

It's all opinion. Grunge was great...so was punk in the 70s. They both accomplished the same thing; they took music that was becoming the property of the elite (bands like Yes, and a lot of the fusion stuff in the 70s, and the Yngwie Van Halens of the 80s) and took it back to the garages of the world, where most kids with a guitar could actually PLAY it, just like G-L-O-R-I-A in the 60s. Despite all of the commercial crap radio tries to spoon feed us, there'll always be cool music for cool people. What is cool? That's for each of us to decide in his/her own way. If for me, cool is putting on a pair of Lederhosen, drinking beer and doing the polka, who else giveth a shit? About the Beach Boys, if just about anyone were never here in the first place, we'd never have missed them. Are you missing the next big thing? Of course not, it's not here yet. And if it never gets here, you'll never miss it. And the big shame is those whose career was cut short before we really got to fully appreciate what they were capable of. I don't dislike hearing Phil Collins, Kenny G, Celine, Elton, or Whitney. I just dislike hearing them constantly, the same songs, and at the expense of other more interesting stuff that isn't getting played. Rap is for the tone deaf. And there are so many folks who are tone deaf out there, no wonder it's popular. The saddest thing to hear is a rapper who can't even keep time (and I've heard those too). But, it's urban poetry. Decades from now, there will be college classes analyzing it as "AAS 310: The Black Experience In America in the 20th Century...Rap".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'll throw some in; haven't got much time to do them all, but hey... * Sting rules. Period. He's talented, smart, and gifted with words in a way everybody should wish they were. Let him be an asshole if he wantsta...he's earned it. (He never was a round me, though, so I don't see him as one.) * I, too, like Phil Collins. 'Nuff said. * Never cared for the Stones. They've had maybe two songs EVER that I've actually let live on the radio when I have control of the dial. * Dylan? Please go away. Take Bruce Sprungstring withya. * The two sides of today's recording technology coin: A) Anyone can make a record at home. B) Anyone can make a record at home. One of them is not necessarily a good thing. * Wear pants that fit, goddammit. And stop habitually re-shaping the bill on your ballcap. And wearing a coat that makes you look like the Michelin Man when it's 70 degrees out is flat-out stupid. Period. * There should be a worldwide moratorium on the word "Dude" effective immediately.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Posterchild Bob Dylan's lyrics are not as profound as his fans make them out to be. [ [/quote]You Bastard! :D Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I'm not a fan of drums in pop-rock music. They get in the way of the melody instruments and the lyrics. :rolleyes: That said, I do like drums in jazz and jazz/fusion. :cool: I'm bound to get flak on this one! Drum lovers? :wave:

[quote]Originally posted by TBush: [b]This sounds nuts, but... I think Carlos Santana SUCKS- he goes sharp all the time, his vibrato sounds weak and his band rules. What a combination... :cry: [/b][/quote]In my opinion - his tone is just awful. As well as Steve Howe's and Robert Fripp's :rolleyes:
I am back.

Hmmmm.... I think the "politically correct" may not quite be the proper term for what's happening on this thread. A politically incorrect observation: If Jesus is Jewish, why does he have a Mexican name? This is more of a bashing thread... Not that I have any problems with that. I'll try and mix some political incorrectness in with my bashing. ***DISCLAIMER*** Here I go: 1. The Beach Boys. How could songs about chicks, cars and surfing suck so badly? Crap. Total crap. Stop pretending there was more to them than that. Stop sucking their drug-addled dicks, you fags. NOW. 2. Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains were pretty cool... However, all the bands who used "10" and "Dirt" as their sole blueprints for music and vocal style can eat the shit out of that fat-assed Rush Limbaugh's broken septic tank. Creed, Nickelback, Default, Days Of The New, Tantric.... I'M LOOKING AT YOU! STOP IT! 3. If all the LSD that was taken in the name of The Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews Band and Moe was to suddenly be reconstituted in liquid form and wash across the United States in a wave, it'd probably be large enough to rinse the planet clean of pachouli, hippies, The Osmonds (fuckin' big-toothed Mormon jackasses) and all of the aforementioned bands. I sincerely hope this happens. Soon. I'm still waiting. 4. Everyone should just admit that the real goal of every musician is to get sloppy blowjobs from anonymous, attractive, big-titted bitches and do coke in trashy club bathrooms. The music is just a means to attain this. Anyone who says this isn't true is just lying. Now suck it, you fucking whore. 5. George Micheal, Micheal Jackson and Elton John stopped sounding human ages ago. They should grab a bunch of kids, pay off their parents, grab a few bottles of Cristal, head for Disneyland and have a boy-touching convention. You know that's what they wanna do anyway. 6. There's no way to succeed in the music industry without sucking up to a bunch of Jews. The best advice for success in the music biz: Buy a dreidel, grab some matzah and learn how to say "OY" convincingly. That's what P. Diddy did, and look at how far that stupid nigger has gotten now (he even banged that talentless spic, Jennifer Lopez.) UGH.... I feel so ugly right now. That last one was too much. The sad thing about this is.... I've actually heard stuff like this uttered in total seriousness. As much as I dislike "political correctness" as a general rule, I have to admit that it's made me far more aware of the really stupid things people say all the time. For example, why do we call things "gay" when we mean they're bad, stupid, weak or dumb? That shit is really kind of ridiculous. Blech. I need a bath now.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

My politically incorrect ravings: 1. White folk can't rap. Actually, anyone not black. 2. Rapping is a skill. I can't do it and I sound horrible trying - it's because I'm Asian (see #1, duh). 3. Rolling Stones suck, Beatles rule! 4. Bruce Springsteen sucks, Billy Joel rules! 5. While I'm at it, Yankees suck, Mets rule! 6. As for Bob Dylan, to paraphrase the movie Amadeus, "Too many words. Just cut a few." 7. American Idols is an awesome show. Get over it. 8. I have trouble singing in tune so I'm using Autotune. If you use loops, ya got nothing to look down on me on. Screw off! 9. I like Avrille Lavigne's new album. There is nothing wrong with melody and pop songs. 10. I miss guitar solos but I don't want more than a minute at time either. Better stop before the lynching and floggings commences. Felt good, though. :D Oooh, one more: 11. Except for Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and maybe a handful of others, country music still sucks. (I should've stopped at 10! :eek: )

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I like Santana but when I listen to the first two albums I pan the ballance to the Hammond side, too much guitar just ruins the songs. I love Motown and 60s music where you hear mostly bass drums and vocals. I guess its a macho thing to say you like blues and soul singers but I would rather hear Neil Sadaka or Karen Carpenter than Ray Charles or Aretha and SRV is so uninteresting on top of that cotton in the mouth voice of his.Same for Hendrixsloppy playing guitar always out of tune weak songwriting monotone voice and lousy drummer. Mountain blows them away.

I was listening to Carlos' tone the other day. Suck or not...his tone does scream "Latin"...and I happen to like it. I wouldn't want all the music I listen to to sound like it, but, it's very unique, and you can instantly tell when he's playing, just by his tone. So, piss off!

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame is just an excuse to suck up to has-been rock stars & get them to come to Ohio to pose for photos. Who's really NOT good enough to get inducted? Give Brittney another 18 years & she'll be there too. Oh, and from the thread about the worst Stones song - I actually LIKED "Emotional Rescue". So there. :p

u2 the most important band out of the 80's? For me, the answer would be yes! Now for some of my own :D : Bob Dylan rocks (or at least his old stuff)! Screw you saps that say otherwise :D Enimen has loads of talent, even though he is a whiny little bitch who needs a good ass whoopin'. New Santana is worse than elevator music. Especially that shite with the dude from Matchbox 20. The only reason that Phil Collins + Brian Adams get as much radio play as they do is because they are behind a huge media conspiracy with Clear Channel.

[quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Christopher Kemp: [b]The Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame is just an excuse to suck up to has-been rock stars & get them to come to Ohio to pose for photos. Who's really NOT good enough to get inducted? [/b][/quote]Apparently [url=http://www.detnews.com/2001/newsmakers/0110/03/a02-309317.htm]Chubby Checker isn\'t[/url] . I can't find it, but he used to have a page on his web site where he more or less begged/demanded to be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.[/b][/quote]Talk about an ego-maniac. Have you ever seen an interview with Chubby Checker. He sincerely believes that people did not dance before he "invented" The Twist.

Nice thread. There are very few "pop" musicians I like, and Sting is definitely one of them. I guess Peter Gabriel now can be called one too (since he gets to be on Conan :D ) so he tops the list, but Sting has an amazing voice and "Fragile" is a beautiful song. Frank Zappa was a genius Steve Vai is a genius :D I think people who think technique is not important are looking for an excuse not to practise. The Beatles will always be the greatest band of all time Pink Floyd will always be my favorite, regardless of what Johnny Rotten might say Phil Collins ... first time I heard a Phil Collins song was the last time I heard a solo Phil Collins song on my own. Do like "some" of PC-genesis, but most of it is just so-so. Not terrible, but nothing special Love Dylan Love prog rock Love all out, don't hold back, Mahavishnu Orchestra style fusion Think the Stones were a good band but not worth the hype, esp. since Mick Jagger still can't sing I have tried almost every form of music and come to appreciate a variety (ranging from prog rock, to jazz to classic fusion to Berlin-style electronica to Future Sound of London), but Hip-Hop, country and techno (the 4/4 thumping dance floor kind) still make me want to move to Bangladesh during a cyclone.

1. Sting is the most stilted and self-conscioulsy literate lyricist this side of, um, Peter Gabriel. His language has no natural grace, vibrancy, or bouyancy--or rather, it hasn't since the second police album. No songwriter I can think has been so *crippled* by his need to impress. He's the clinical example of what can happen when rock and roll strains gracelessly for serious artistic credibility. There's more poetry in the chorus of Louie, Louie than in the entirety of Sting's solo work. Chaps like Randy Newman, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Stephen Malkmus, Dylan, even Paul Simon produce effortlessly sophisticated language and lyrics because they're, well, smart, and relatively comfortable with themselves. 2. Zappa may well have been a musical genius, but his lyrics are sophmoric and peurile. He lacked heart. Just once, I would have liked him to write a lyric that did something other than make fun of fools. 3. The Spice Girls rocked. 4. I am the king of melody. ;) ;) :freak:
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]1. Anyone who says they 'hate the Beatles', hasn't a musical clue and should quit now before they embarrass themselves any further.[/b][/quote]A truer statement has never been uttered. [quote][b]4. Opera is torture.[/b][/quote]Check out The Barber of Seville sometime. It's actually a lot of fun (and FUNNY!)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

OK, now that I'm here in the confessional booth, I can finally unburden myself: I have always loved the voice of Karen Carpenter. There, I feel so much better now... ;) And, while I'm at it: 1. Sting does, indeed, rule. 2. On the other hand, U2 has never stirred a micro-fiber of my being. WAY overrated!!! 3. And, come to think of it, while he has his moments, Elton John has just never done much for me either. There. I feel like a new man...

- REM sucks - their music sounds thin, the singer can't, and the lyrics ramble. - "Alternative" rock has degenerated into little more than whining about how much you/life/your ex/whatever sucks. I'm in my mid-30s, with kids, a mortgage, and a job I hate but can't leave - I don't want to hear how hard it is to be 20. - Why is it so hard to find good musicians who don't need to play with several intoxicants nearby? Why does rehearsal have to start at the liquor store?

[b]Guitar gods: Hendrix, SRV, Santana, Larry Carlton[/b] 70's Santana rocked! I wore out the grooves on Amigos. [b]Guitar bores: Clapton, Page, Satriani, Malmstein, DiMeola[/b] Hell plays their records 24/7.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I hate country music. There was an analytical period in my life in which I thought it was just rebellion because so many people who heard my accent thought I should like country music. Then one day I realized it was the beat. I prefer to push the beat rather than pull. If country had only been funky. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MojoHaiku: I have always loved the voice of Karen Carpenter. YES!YES! Another politically incorrect, yet 'oh so true for this poster' statement. Music will never have another voice like hers. Ever.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by MojoHaiku: I have always loved the voice of Karen Carpenter. YES!YES! Another politically incorrect, yet 'oh so true for this poster' statement. Music will never have another voice like hers. Ever.[/b][/quote](Old timer voice): "Way, way back, afore most o' ya were born, there was a thread called 'Guilty Pleasures'. Karen Carpenter's voice came up a lot in that one."

I can't stand Patti Smith and I don't think Lou Reed is much better Bob Dylan CAN sing. So can Neil Young and I used to hate them both as a kid. I like Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Little Wing better than Jimi's (put away that damn glockenspiel!) Modern R&B has nothing to do with R&B. It should be called B&G for Bump and Grind. It's way over sung and the majority of it is trash. I don't really like Peter Gabriel's new album so far

U2 sucks. Vernon Reid can play but his guitar tone sucks goat-butt. Nobody cares about Bruce Springsteen but old guys from Jersey and Rolling Stone magazine. I might even enjoy Dream Theater if they didn't share their retarded opinion on freakin' STEM CELL RESEARCH in their new album. On the other hand, they can play rock but they don't rock. If ya know what I mean. The one thing wrong with Prince is, he doesn't have a sense of humor. Elton John's best song was "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and then he should have stopped. I concur, "The Thong Song" is indeed the best pop tune in years. Sisqo is done, he doesn't need to do anything else ever again. He wrote the magic song, climbed the mountain, swam the ocean. Won the pie-eating contest. Sisqo, I salute you and your thongs.

[quote]Originally posted by Alan Dalton: [b][QUOTE] Right! That's it! Count dracuBunny, outside now.[/b][/quote]Can I come back in now? It's getting cold out here, and there's so much nice, warm [b]HOT AIR[/b] floating around in there!!! :D BTW, you were listening to the WRONG Def Leppard album. You should only listen to On Through the Night, High 'n Dry, or Pyromania. Get it straight! :p

Archived