Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is Jill Scott?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill Scott is a young female r&b vocalist out of Philly who has been getting a lot of play on radio and tv lately. She has been grouped with a number of new r&b acts that are returning somewhat to old school r&b roots. She was nominated for Best New Artsist but lost to Shelby Lynn if I am not mistaken. Her producer for her debut album, which has sold over a million, is DJ Jazzy Jeff former partner to the Fresh Prince aka Will Smith. She has recently been doing some high profile gigs with big names like Aretha Franklin and others and her future appears promising. She is slated to perform at Madison Square Garden in September on Michael Jackson's first show here in over a decade. Her album I believe is indeed entitled "Who Is Jill Scott?". From what I hear she is more of a poet/ writer and only recently started performing as a vocalist. One of the tracks on her album ("It's Love") has a quasi go-go feel and features a live band with horns. Being a horn player from DC I kinda liked this one as I feel the go-go sound here in DC has yet to get the national exposure it deserves.

This message has been edited by lrossmusic@hotmail.com on 04-21-2001 at 10:25 PM

Originally posted by lrossmusic@hotmail.com:

Being a horn player from DC I kinda liked this one as I feel the go-go sound here in DC has yet to get the national exposure it deserves.

That's what happens when you make Art Garfunkel the star of the go-go movie...

Tim (ex-DCite and major Trouble Funk fan)

Originally posted by dr destructo:

Anybody had the pleasure of checking this new talent out?

Iross hit it right on the head. Jill has been gigging here in Philly for quite a while on the poet/spoken word scene. She really is a breathe of fresh air in R&B music. Philly is a hot spot right now, with five of the biggest records in 2000 (Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, Common, The Roots among others) produced and/or recorded here.

Jill has exposed a depth of talent in Philly that is spilling out onto the scene that hasn't been seen since the Gamble and Huff/PHily INternational days. There are some SPECTACULAR groups and singers working on projects here as well as some notables doing work with producers. DJ Jazzy Jeff/Touch of Jazz and James Poyser/Axis Music Group are holding it down on the R&B/Hip-hop side and a clique called Isaiah Entertainment Group is making strides on the gospel music side. Take a listen to Jill to get a feel of some of the things to come out of Philly in the next few months...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

MusicWorkz,

Today's Tuesday...are ya going to the 5-Spot tonight?

curvedominant

What do yo know about Black Lilly :-)? Actually, we WILL be there tonight. We missed Erykah Badu and Common last week and now that the weather is better, it's time to become regulars again. We should get there about 10 or 11. Are you from Philly and are you going?

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I walked into a gas station last month and heard some really really good tunes... asked the attendant what was playing and he said Jill Scott. I forgot all about it until this thread so now I've got to go buy the album!

thanks for the reminder

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

I thought she was part of the best performance in the Grammy's, with Moby and Blue Man Group. Then she performed at the Aretha/Divas special on VH-1 and positively killed the audience. I get to see her open for Sting in May - can't wait.

MusicWorkz:

I am in Philly, at 11th & Pine Sts.

I have been to Black Lily, and I know musicians who sit in. Sorry to confess that I never made it to the 5-Spot last night, though. Maybe next Tuesday. Give me a heads-up if you plan to go, and we'll hook up.

Also, next Friday is First Friday, so there's a party at Turtle Studio at 3rd & Quarry, among other happenings.

Email me through my site:

www.mp3.com/TransluxTheater

curvedominant...Always up for making the rounds...

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Aahhh, so THAT'S what you look like! Sorry for lurking and peeking Curve, but I kinda hoped you had a pix on the site. I get curious sometimes. Now I know where I can check out some of your tunes as well...

Take care Bro!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

Curve,

I went thru Tuesday-it was an okay set. I say that only because I have seen better sets at Black Lilly.

You did miss a few things though. I am sure we know many of the same peeps. James Poyser was there (we go waaaay back to our college days playing for U Penn, Drexel and Temple), as well as Don Robinson and Eric Tribett. I WAS surprised to see Brian Moore (Christina Agulera's drummer) in the house-it's been a minute since I've seen him. Bilal was also there and they got him up on stage. He did this blues freestyle with this new chick named Erica that has us all laughing. Kindred (their is on another level now-must be that Hidden Beach deal) and 3-7000-9 did their thing as usual and then it was open mic...

We definitely need to hook up. Tell me a bit more about this Friday since I would love to stop through.

Peace,

MusicWorkz

Archived