Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 1 - Marketing / Networking

Hi wraub,

I think if everything goes well and we get a good response then maybe people might want to put an actual CD together. There's plenty of time and need given they are predicting it will take up to 20 years to rebuild the affected areas :(

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha. I'll note that for later use.

Anything else you or anyone thinks should be included, post here and I'll do so.

Thanks again.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

We need as much free input as we can get and also anyone familiar with US Tax laws get intouch to as this has to be tax free as its a charity record.

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96210,00.html

Read the full text of the requirements here: Exemption Requirements

The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erection or maintenance of public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening of neighborhood tensions; elimination of prejudice and discrimination; defense of human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

To be organized exclusively for a charitable purpose, the organization must be a corporation, community chest, fund, or foundation. A charitable trust is a fund or foundation and will qualify. However, an individual or a partnership will not qualify. The articles of organization must limit the organization's purposes to one or more of the exempt purposes set forth in IRC Section 501©(3) and must not expressly empower it to engage, other than as an insubstantial part of its activities, in activities that are not in furtherance of one or more of those purposes. This requirement may be met if the purposes stated in the articles of organization are limited in some way by reference to IRC Section 501©(3). In addition, assets of an organization must be permanently dedicated to an exempt purpose. This means that should an organization dissolve, its assets must be distributed for an exempt purpose described in this chapter, or to the federal government or to a state or local government for a public purpose. To establish that an organization's assets will be permanently dedicated to an exempt purpose, the articles of organization should contain a provision insuring their distribution for an exempt purpose in the event of dissolution.

> Any word on the official contact info (and any plans for a phone number as well as email)?

>Any late word on charities involved?

Still waiting on word and will be calling agencies after this reply

>Any word on fund distribution plans?

All funds will be distributed to 4 main agencies, Unicef, The Red Cross,Oxfam and The Disaster Committee Appeal. If we can't get any one on board to distribute to, all funds will go directly to the emgergency appeal and thats the Disaster Committee Appeal

>How long will the site be up for downloads, are the servers prepared for heavy international demand?

As long as we need to keep it up with progress being updated on it

>How long will the site be accepting donations, what other donation methods will be available?

See last answer

I think the release should be as international as possible with all outlets of reporting getting it from TV News desks to Press association like Reuters.

THis has to be a uniformed release and also I am about to chase all the charities now with a phone call.

Wraub - when press release is finished could you please email it to me at: faceoffriends@optusnet.com.au please? I will use it for media down here :thu:

Wraub, for your press release purposes,

The money will go directly to the Disaster and Emergency Committee who are incharge of getting money out to 12 different charities working on all sorts of things from Children like Unicef to Oxfam who are working on water supplys. The DEC is in charge of the worldwide effort from what Oxfam have just said to me

http://www.dec.org.uk/

Everyone donates directly and we won't have to establish ourselves as a charity for tax reasons.

Sorted except for our tally on if people have donated BEFORE downloading the trak.

Ideas anyone?

I just got off the phone with Steve Turnidge and Shelley McIntyre from Weed and we can set up the files so that the money goes to charity. I think that having several downloadable types and options would be a good thing. With this format the donation on the part of the buyer is plugged into the song.

If anyone is not familiar with Weed here is the scoop:

"Q: OK, what's the deal exactly?

A: The concept is pretty basic: Weed rewards people who share files and respect artists' rights.

You can play a Weed file three times for free on any PC. After three free plays, you're asked to pay for the file. You can use any current Windows Media-compatible player software to play the file. The Weed software, which keeps track of your account information, is used to purchase files."

We set the price of the file and can charge $2 if we like and then depending on how we want to do it we can send the money to the charities that we want to.

The only drawbacks I can see are lack of Mac support (for now) and that Weed keeps some of the profits from the process. Other than that it's a nice secure easy solution.

Thoughts?

I posted this on the discussion thread, but am throwing it here also as another option for payment/download:

iTunes has an "affiliate" program that allows you to link directly from your site to a song in their catalog and they collect the money.

You might want to contact iTunes, tell them about the project, and ask them if the song can 1) be added to their catalog quickly, 2) perhaps they can increase your commission or contribute a matching donation, or even set it up directly so that the money goes to the charity and 3) once it is in their catalog perhaps they can promote it themselves on their own web site, and mention that proceeds from the download will be donated to help the tsunami victims.

Lee, yes that would be an ideal outlet.

WRAUB - I have emailed you the iTunes PR contact at Apple US - are you happy to give him a call and see what can happen?

Hey all, late to this, had to commute. I will do all I can, obviously. I will try to contact the rep, somehow.

Checking email now...

Nursers, have you seen the amended press release?

Shars approved it, but I thought you'd like a look...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

Hey all, late to this, had to commute. I will do all I can, obviously. I will try to contact the rep, somehow.

Checking email now...

Nursers, have you seen the amended press release?

Shars approved it, but I thought you'd like a look...

Peace,

wraub

Would love a look at amended one :thu:

Originally posted by billster:

Don't forget to spam your family members and other acquaintances!

The idea of the Australian, the Brit and the guy from Kansas is pretty catchy. :cool:

:D:thu:

When I'm finished with the recording/mixing phase of the "Fear" song, I'll be able to help out with networking. Right now I'm in over my head with the audio end of things.

I'll get my business partner involved, as well as my mom and her partner. Right there, I have a bunch of good connections within the music industry and the education industry.

Shars and Nursers, please remind me about this post when the song is completed -- my mind will surely be frazzled at that point. :)

Archived