Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 1 - Marketing / Networking

Serious but mysterious question to all contributors to the project: do you have a webcam?

Might be a TV opportunity which would require a webcam hookup. Doable?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by forceman:

Which contributors are you referring to, nursers?

Anyone who put forward tracks etc. I don't know whose tracks made the final cut but we all played a part :thu:

FWIW, I just sent the following email to my entire company. I may have stretched the truth a bit but the goal is to get donations. If you like it, feel free to use it!

To all:

Over the holiday weekend I joined with a group of musicians from the U.S, U.K., The Netherlands and Australia to collaborate, record and produce music dedicated to raising funds for relief to the victims of the Asian tsunami. This was an amazing effort by a group of sleepless individuals coming together virtually from around the globe accomplishing within 96 hours a project that would normally take weeks or months. To give you an idea of the scope, we collectively developed the concept, wrote the song and lyrics, recorded no less than 80 different tracks, mixed and mastered the final song, designed and developed a website and logo, wrote P.R. material and press releases, qualified charitable organizations and released a finished operation within the confines of a 4-day holiday weekend.

We have one song available so far with plans to create several more. We have released our first song, "Tears We Share" as a download that will cost a tax-deductible minimum of $2.80. You may certainly donate a greater amount, and we also accept regular monetary donations via PayPal. 100% of the funds generated go to the Disasters Emergency Committee, who further share all incoming donations to other relief agencies. The musicians, producers and others involved in the project will receive no compensation. We hope that you will donate, receive and enjoy our music while helping those suffering at this most tragic of times in Asia.

Please visit http://www.faceoffriendship.org/getmusic.php to donate and download our music.

Any questions can be directed to info@faceoffriendship.org.

Please contribute what you can and spread the word of our operation as much as you can.

Thank you!

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

FWIW, I just sent the following email to my entire company. I may have stretched the truth a bit but the goal is to get donations. If you like it, feel free to use it!

To all:

Over the holiday weekend I joined with a group of musicians from the U.S, U.K., The Netherlands and Australia to collaborate, record and produce music dedicated to raising funds for relief to the victims of the Asian tsunami. This was an amazing effort by a group of sleepless individuals coming together virtually from around the globe accomplishing within 96 hours a project that would normally take weeks or months. To give you an idea of the scope, we collectively developed the concept, wrote the song and lyrics, recorded no less than 80 different tracks, mixed and mastered the final song, designed and developed a website and logo, wrote P.R. material and press releases, qualified charitable organizations and released a finished operation within the confines of a 4-day holiday weekend.

We have one song available so far with plans to create several more. We have released our first song, "Tears We Share" as a download that will cost a tax-deductible minimum of $2.80. You may certainly donate a greater amount, and we also accept regular monetary donations via PayPal. 100% of the funds generated go to the Disasters Emergency Committee, who further share all incoming donations to other relief agencies. The musicians, producers and others involved in the project will receive no compensation. We hope that you will donate, receive and enjoy our music while helping those suffering at this most tragic of times in Asia.

Please visit http://www.faceoffriendship.org/getmusic.php to donate and download our music.

Any questions can be directed to info@faceoffriendship.org.

Please contribute what you can and spread the word of our operation as much as you can.

Thank you!

Paul - you email had an effect: check here

:thu::thu:

Originally posted by DJDM:

Originally posted by nursers:

Wow nurses. I sent Paul's note to my email list a couple of hours ago and I just got the note from Lisa Wood that she was going to post it to her blog about an hour ago. How did you find it so fast? :confused:
Web page statistics are a wonderful thing - all sites referring to ours are shown, purely the URL, nothing else. :thu:

Wow nurses. I sent Paul's note to my email list a couple of hours ago and I just got the note from Lisa Wood that she was going to post it to her blog about an hour ago. How did you find it so fast? :confused:
Web page statistics are a wonderful thing - all sites referring to ours are shown, purely the URL, nothing else. :thu:
That's right! I forgot you have admin access to the site. ;)

It's also worth noting that getting on Lisa's blog is a pretty sweet deal. She just got coverage in one of the local papers about her musings and it's a pretty popular blog around these parts. She is also an announcer on several local radio stations. :)

Very cool :thu: We've also had hits from a Yahoo Group of Seattle musicians.

Shars or I will post a donation total at end of the day, but the total is at least $400 US, and it's interesting that most people donate well above the minimum amount. One very generous person has donated $200.

Really great stuff.

I sent the following e-mail to 22 friends and family in my address book:

Hello all! I apologize if I have not written as frequently as I should.

For the past several months, I have been participating on an internet message board at www.musicplayer.com, which is administered in affiliation with the publisher of several musician oriented magazines. One of the bulletin board features is an online collaboration site, where musicians can play together via internet file sharing. The idea is that the players can be from any geographic location, and share their talents to create finished music without ever actually playing "live and in person". For instance, I might record guitar here in Massachusetts, send a computer soundfile to a drummer in California, and bass player in England, who record their parts, and then we combine all of our parts into a complete song.

In the wake of the terrible disaster in southern asia, the collaboration host organized an effort to record a song which could be sold online for a donation to charity. I tried to help with some suggestions during the writing phase, and recorded some guitar parts (which in the end were not used, but that doesn't really matter). The singer is a gentleman from Kansas City, Missouri, and other musicians who participated are from Australia, California, Detroit, London, and more. The song was completed in seven days, and is available at www.faceoffriendship.org, for a minimum contribution of $2.80 (Our promotion guru is in London, and the price reflects the exchange rate on 2 lbs sterling). Of course you can contribute as much as you like.

If you are uncomfortable with online transactions, or the charity we have chosen to donate our proceeds to, we encourage you to contribute to the charity of your choice to aid the situation in Asia.

We hope to have more music available for this charitable purpose as time goes on.

I know I lied a little and said Ted was a "gentlman", but you do what you have to... :P:D

Originally posted by billster:

I sent the following e-mail to 22 friends and family in my address book:

Hello all! I apologize if I have not written as frequently as I should.

For the past several months, I have been participating on an internet message board at www.musicplayer.com, which is administered in affiliation with the publisher of several musician oriented magazines. One of the bulletin board features is an online collaboration site, where musicians can play together via internet file sharing. The idea is that the players can be from any geographic location, and share their talents to create finished music without ever actually playing "live and in person". For instance, I might record guitar here in Massachusetts, send a computer soundfile to a drummer in California, and bass player in England, who record their parts, and then we combine all of our parts into a complete song.

In the wake of the terrible disaster in southern asia, the collaboration host organized an effort to record a song which could be sold online for a donation to charity. I tried to help with some suggestions during the writing phase, and recorded some guitar parts (which in the end were not used, but that doesn't really matter). The singer is a gentleman from Kansas City, Missouri, and other musicians who participated are from Australia, California, Detroit, London, and more. The song was completed in seven days, and is available at www.facesoffriendship.org, for a minimum contribution of $2.80 (Our promotion guru is in London, and the price reflects the exchange rate on 2 lbs sterling). Of course you can contribute as much as you like.

If you are uncomfortable with online transactions, or the charity we have chosen to donate our proceeds to, we encourage you to contribute to the charity of your choice to aid the situation in Asia.

We hope to have more music available for this charitable purpose as time goes on.

I know I lied a little and said Ted was a "gentlman", but you do what you have to... :P:D
All very well put billster :thu::thu:

I've not participated in this projec, I just want you to know that I think that all of you are doing a very fine job here!

PS

If you want, I could make a Swedish translation for the web site.

Please just mail me anything that you'd like to have translated:

mats (dot) olsson (at) sfr (dot) se

I'm kind of busy, but somehow it will get done rather soon.

:wave:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I've not participated in this projec, I just want you to know that I think that all of you are doing a very fine job here!

PS

Please just mail me anything that you'd like to have translated:

mats (dot) olsson (at) sfr (dot) se

I'm kind of busy, but somehow it will get done rather soon.

That would rock, Al Paca...er, Mats!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dammit I just screwed up a buncha posts. Double sorry for the 4x alpaca slaughter :D ... Now, what I've been trying to say in ONE post ... :P

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:PS

No offense, but isn't Sweden a pretty small place, would it matter enough? Second, the translations in place are merely Google URL's, so I have no idea how I'd implement a custom translation, you'd have to make a copy site... also since the news is updated, you'd need something to translate that each time it updates, unlike a static file that never changes and could be typed in Swedish anyway.

Originally posted by Phait:

No offense, but isn't Sweden a pretty small place, would it matter enough?

I honestly don't know if it would matter in this case.

I just noticed that there are several flags on this projects web page and my impression was that it is a multi-lingual web site, perhaps I misunderstood.

Sweden might be a smaller country but it is not a coincidence that most software products is available in Swedish (even though most people know english) - "everybody" in the nordic countries are using computers (and Swedish is the largest nordic language, a language that is almos universally understood in the entire region). Nationmaster stats

Then there's another thing to consider: The effects of the Tsunami hit tourists from the nordic countries pretty bad and people here have been very generous and supportive and donated a lot of money. I think there is a great chance that many newspapers are willing to publish a link to the web site. (Nationmaster stats on Tsunami - Funds pledged by NGOs and public (per capita))

I'm not trying to cause a debate, I'm just trying to help.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived