Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spotlight On Henry Robinett

Is he the most opinionated person in the world or what? That guy ALWAYS has something to say on ANY subject. Let's all pick on him and let him know we love him at the same time. You know kind of like you do to me. It's a ROBINETT ROAST! First I need to track down some of his music. Hmmmmmmmm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget that Curve... a beer's nice once in a while... but if someone's going to do any of that mystical travelling... I'd like them to go back in time and grab me a few Pultecs, a Fairchild 660 or three (bring help or take several trips - they're heavy), some C-12's, ELA M251 E's, some M49's, U47's, a few '54 - '64 Strats, some '52 Telecasters, several different 50's Les Pauls... :D

[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]how about [i]Ava[/i] Gardner & Eva [i]Cassidy[/i]? ;) [/b][/quote][img]http://www.timstvshowcase.com/greenacres6.jpg[/img] "But, Oleevah, how come no vun menzioned me?"
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yeah, what up with that guy anyway? I wish he'd take his sorry ass on outta here! Man! I turn away for a few minutes and look. All hell breaks loose! But I'd love tom pick up some of those Fairchilds too. Things so damned heavy I can't fit them in my, in my . . . Dang!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

You might have a hard time finding my music online BUT - this is NOT SPAM. Amazon.com still has some things . . .http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-9239899-3826509 I mean if you're gonna roast you have to get the low down . . .

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Curve, love you too, baby. Hey that Amazon.com thing sucks. They've whittled down what they had before. Here are a couple of tunes I put up on my Itools thingy. Check out an Uncommon Prayer. http://homepage.mac.com/henryrobinett/FileSharing1.html

All the best,

Henry Robinett

A user review of Uncommon Prayer from Amazon: What a marvelous piece of music!! Entirely listenable. The ensemble is great. Every player is equal Even the star - Henry Robinett - sits back and lets his peers blow. The rhythm section owns this record. There are grooves created in each piece that command attention. The "hit" song is called "Welcome". It is played on my local Public Radio station daily!! Buy this record for this one song! As for Robinett's playing - excellent fretwork!! His tone and attack are phenominal. He grabs you without scaing you away. Does that mean you can play an INSTRUMENT Henry??? Nice album cover too - very classy :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by nursers: [b]A user review of Uncommon Prayer from Amazon: What a marvelous piece of music!! Entirely listenable. The ensemble is great. Every player is equal Even the star - Henry Robinett - sits back and lets his peers blow. The rhythm section owns this record. There are grooves created in each piece that command attention. The "hit" song is called "Welcome". It is played on my local Public Radio station daily!! Buy this record for this one song! As for Robinett's playing - excellent fretwork!! His tone and attack are phenominal. He grabs you without scaing you away. Does that mean you can play an INSTRUMENT Henry??? Nice album cover too - very classy :thu: [/b][/quote]Thank you Nursers! And I promise I don't know the person who wrote that review. Playing guitar and writing music is mainly what I do/have done. I started engineering because I wanted to do it myself, take time and I'm cheap!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Guitar stuff on those tracks: Uh . . . An Uncommon Prayer I used a Strat Plus with Eric Clapton electronics/Lace Sensor pickups (bridge/middle). Boogie Quad guitar pre-amp, Boogie power amp, model escapes me. Single, 4 12 cabinet with Celestians. SM57 and 451 into Millennia HV-3s, straight into (gasp!) Adat. That's not how I'd do it today. The other tunes sampled from that CD on Amazon.com were similar in amp set up, but I used my Gibson ES-355 and toned the settings down to give me a clean sound. It wasn't easy. When Fortresses Fall was really lame. I THINK that was direct -> Sansamp, Millennia, Adat. I happily sold my Adats 3 years ago. Thanks for asking.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Yeah Henry, NICE stuff! I must say too that the drummer on "Uncommon Prayer" kicks ass!![/b][/quote]Lee, Thanks! Alan Hall. Yes he does kick ass. He was an instructor and Berkeley in Boston for several years. He plays great throughout the record. Always, on all my gigs, he and my bass player provide such a great bed it's easy to play.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Well Henry, the first compliment is that I downloaded a 9 meg file of anybody's music at all! With my glacial connection, I don't do that very often. Very nice indeed! Alan certainly is a fantastic drummer. Those guys must be a blast to play with. I don't hear a lot of ensembles that swing TOGETHER- but you guys do! Yes! The writing and arranging reminds me uncannily of my old teach, Ron Madden, on the album "Clareon" from the late seventies. Mike Stern plays guitar on that, sounding very much like you do with the compressed sound bordering on the sound of double reeds, and that album is chock full of doublings with a very similar sounding alto sax. Even the melodies and harmonies are so reminiscent, I'd swear Ron had written the chart. It's most curious, I've been listening to this sound for twenty years, and here it is beautifully realized by Mr. Robbinett. That is some fabulous drumming, and very nicely captured and put together with everything else. Really tickles! If you know what I mean. Thanks for the enjoyable listening experience!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]Well Henry, the first compliment is that I downloaded a 9 meg file of anybody's music at all! With my glacial connection, I don't do that very often. [/b][/quote]Thank you very much Ted! I DO take that as a real compliment, especially coming from you. Sorry the file was so big. :rolleyes:

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Nice tune Henry. Haunting melody. Harmonically refreshing and more interesting than a lot of the new jazz especially the funkier 'smooth jazz'. Loved the dynamic contrasts especially as well as your rock tinged solo. :) Hey man, didn't I read on the boards somewhere that you are related to Charles Mingus? "Self Portrait In Three Colors" has been on my practice docket for years. Also "Fable Of Faubus" was a frequent call at one of my favorite jam sessions that unfortunately folded a few years back. We used to rock the house with that one. If you don't mind I be interested to know what are some of your thoughts on Mingus's book "Beneath The Underdog"?

[quote]Originally posted by lrossmusic: [b]Nice tune Henry. Haunting melody. Harmonically refreshing and more interesting than a lot of the new jazz especially the funkier 'smooth jazz'. Loved the dynamic contrasts especially as well as your rock tinged solo. :) Hey man, didn't I read on the boards somewhere that you are related to Charles Mingus? "Self Portrait In Three Colors" has been on my practice docket for years. Also "Fable Of Faubus" was a frequent call at one of my favorite jam sessions that unfortunately folded a few years back. We used to rock the house with that one. If you don't mind I be interested to know what are some of your thoughts on Mingus's book "Beneath The Underdog"?[/b][/quote]Thanks! That's one of my tunes I still like. Maybe I'll post some more when I get more space or put up a real site again. Re Mingus, yeah it's an interesting question. I lived with him for about 3 months the year before he died. Him, his wife Sue, kids, friends, family, musicians. It was a wonderful experience. A birds eye view of my hero and the lives of many of my heros. Not many people can say that. I'll have to get back to you later re Beneath The Underdog, as it requires some reflection on my part and I have to run out the door to a session.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote]Originally posted by lrossmusic: [b] Hey man, didn't I read on the boards somewhere that you are related to Charles Mingus? "Self Portrait In Three Colors" has been on my practice docket for years. Also "Fable Of Faubus" was a frequent call at one of my favorite jam sessions that unfortunately folded a few years back. We used to rock the house with that one. If you don't mind I be interested to know what are some of your thoughts on Mingus's book "Beneath The Underdog"?[/b][/quote]OK, I have a few minutes. I read that book when it first came out, meaning I was probably in Junior High School. Not really appropraite reading at that time, perhaps, but BOY did I get a sex education that lasted well past my formative years! I was disappointed that it focused more on his sex life than his music life. I was told and I believe that most of the manuscript was left on the editor's floor. Apparently it was a disorganized shamble of papers he'd been writing for years. I think for most of us what is most obvious and interesting in our lives is not what is most obvious and interesting to those who look at our lives. I think Mingus was writing things that were interesting to him. He'd been talking about this book he'd been writing, "Beneath The Underdog", for 20 odd years before it ever saw the light of day. I would bet an editor assigned to edit this book tried desperately to pull a plot through it all and rather than pulling from the plot of interest to a small community of jazz followers and musicians, he/she sought the more universal plot of love conquests and sex. I think the decision was wrong. I think there was general disappointment that it wasn't more of what it promised to be; an important addition to the woefully scarce canon of jazz history and autobiography, especially the period of Parker, Miles, early and post Be-Bop era. But Mingus also played with Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington in addition to Charlie Parker, so he traversed an extraordinary history, as well as being a major force himself. Not present in the autobiography was much in the way of his take on composition. "Self Portrait In Three Colors" is a prime example of very interesting and bizarre harmonies. Much from the Duke technique of questionable intervals - some of which he taught me. I think Sue told me there were many of his writings left and she'd love to be able to edit them herself (she was an editor and owner/editor of a NYC magazine in the 70s) as another book. Hope springs eternal.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Very interesting Henry and thanks for sharing. [quote] [b]I think Mingus was writing things that were interesting to him. He'd been talking about this book he'd been writing, "Beneath The Underdog", for 20 odd years before it ever saw the light of day.[/b] [/quote]I did a gig several years ago with a bass player who said he had taken some lessons from Mingus up in NYC while he was still working on his book. I mentioned to him that I had just read “Beneath The Underdog” and he responded by saying something to the effect of ‘be sure you take it with a grain of salt’. He went on to say that Mingus actually told him that major portions of it were deliberately fictionalized because, as he put it, ‘this is what will sell’. [quote] [b]But Mingus also played with Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington in addition to Charlie Parker, so he traversed an extraordinary history, as well as being a major force himself.[/b] [/quote]Without a doubt, and that leads to my next question. Has your connection to Mingus opened any doors for you as far as recording and performing?

[quote]Originally posted by lrossmusic: [b] Has your connection to Mingus opened any doors for you as far as recording and performing?[/b][/quote]Hmm, I don't think so. I never tried to jump on his coatails. One is his own man and has to be judge on his own merits.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

What's the jazz scene like in Sacramento these days? Any active jam sessions? Any radio stations left with a straight ahead format? Are you gigging anywhere regularly? There may be two or three clubs now in the whole of DC that feature jazz on a regular basis and one radio station that mixes it in with it's other formats.

No active jazz clubs here any more. It was jumping 8 years ago. Several jazz venues. Our jazz station cut back to evenings only. The rest is NPR. We're going vanilla so everything sounds the same no matter what part of the country you're in. Until recently I could make a living as a jazz musician here, just from playing gigs. No longer. And I'm no longer interested in doing the pop, alternative, funk, whatever type gigs to put food on the table. I'm not interested in playing just to play. I don't have to play to eat. So I choose my gigs careful, because I have to and because I CAN. All my gigs are casuals or opening up for larger famous jazz acts or regional festivals, parks, corporate parties, restaurants, concerts, backing up jazz singers, hired gun. Most of my musician money is now in producing, engineering and being a studio guitarist. It's a lot more fun for the most part. The money's better and so are the hours. I don't have the headache of babysitting musicians either. How's it in DC?

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived