Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spotlight On Henry Robinett

Henry, is your name pronounced Robin-ette, or Robin-a ? I lived in Sacramento in 1982-84. Were you playing in a local group at that time ? I went to see a lot of music at the time, mostly in Berkeley and Oakland but also a lot of shows in Sacramento. I lived in the Arden-Faire area on Howe Avenue and I worked in Citrus Heights. I remember seeing a group named Steel Breeze several times and they had a number-1 hit a year later. I think they were a one-hit wonder. I also spent a fortune at Skip's music store. What a cool well-run little store at the time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
STEVERB, That was before I started my own group. At that time I was in two groups. One was a semi-successful one hit wonder type band called Bourgeois Tagg and another was a fusion band called Black Ice and later Jarkarta. Bourgeois Tagg formed out of a truly fantastic band that relocted here from Texas named Uncle Rainbow. Skips was a good store. During the time you were there Skip was being robbed blind from employees. There was a cocaine frenzy going on at the time. Since then he's gotten a really tight grasp on things. That's a good thing, but it's not as fun a place to shop any more. Steel Breeze. Yeah. "You Don't Want Me Any More" I think the tune was. I'm glad that's behind us.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

You're kidding Henry ! :) I bought my first synthesizer at Skip's, a Korg Polysix, and I started taking lessons from Charlie Peacock. We didn't see eye to eye so I didn't stay with him long but I assume you might know him well. It really is a small world. I own the cassette called "Brent Bourgeois", but I don't know who else played on it.

Yup. I know Charlie well. Go waaayy back. He came to my studio a few months ago so I could put some guitar tracks on one of his CDs. He's doing really well. We played together in several bands; some his some mine. It IS a small world, but the world of music is even smaller.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote] [b]How's it in DC?[/b] [/quote]There are maybe three clubs left that feature jazz regularily however there are a few churches that now present what are called 'jazz vespers'. They are held in the churches and charge a small to medium admission. Of course no alchohol but some of them sell dinners. I doubt that many of the local jazz players can make it from just gigging. This is not a great time for jazz in DC.

Finally got to listen to Uncommon Prayer - I am no (jazz?) afficionado, but I really liked the song - reminded me a lot of dave brubeck. hope that's not an insult....

[quote]Originally posted by nursers: [b]Finally got to listen to Uncommon Prayer - I am no (jazz?) afficionado, but I really liked the song - reminded me a lot of dave brubeck. hope that's not an insult....[/b][/quote]Hey no insult whatsoever. It's just kind of funny what associations can be made. I doesn't sound a thing like Brubeck to me. But I appreciate you taking the time to listen and give me some feedback.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived