Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name the 1st album you bought

What's the 1st album you bought. Not one that was given to you, but the one that you made the effort to pool the dough together and buy yourself.

Do you still like it?

How has it effected your musical mind since?

Mine was...

Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night

I still love it. It's given me a good sense of what good pop music is, that still has rock credibility and edge.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that will take some thought...

We had singles around back and belonged to the record club...

More then likely, Duane Eddy's Raunchy, as a 45.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

It was either Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour. I received Sgt. Peppers' as a gift for my 9th birthday in '72. I started going after more Beatles' albums shortly thereafter.

It's still probably my favorite album and I continue to find new things to rip off for my own music.

They Only Come Out at Night? Frankenstien is the BEST! :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I'm 52, so when I was a kid I'd buy 45's. I started getting them when I was around 3 or 4. I would be rewarded for being "good" by getting a 45 if I were out shopping with Mom and Dad. When ever I'd get $ from Grandparents for birthdays or whatever, I'd spend it on records. So.... some of the ones that still stand out for me are-Hound Dog, Teddy Bear, All Shook up,That'll be The Day, Green Door,Wake Up little Suzy,etc

led zeppelin II.

yes it is still a masterpiece to me.

I am still trying to play the heartbreaker solo like Jimmy does, and have been a pentatonic warrior ever since. Doesn't matter what type of tune I am playing I always lead into a solo part with a huge soaring bend. yeah it gets old for others,but i love it! :D

1st Album - "Freak Out" The Mothers of Invention

1st Single - "Get Off My Cloud" Rolling Stones/"They're Coming To Take Me Away" Napoleon XIV (bought the same day).

Almost forgot - yes, I still like them all.

Originally posted by blackfish:

led zeppelin II.

yes it is still a masterpiece to me.

I am still trying to play the heartbreaker solo like Jimmy does, and have been a pentatonic warrior ever since. Doesn't matter what type of tune I am playing I always lead into a solo part with a huge soaring bend. yeah it gets old for others,but i love it! :D

:D Zep II here as well! Your entire post could've been mine...
None more black.

first 45 (halvsies with my older brother)

Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel / Hound Dog

first 45

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Cast Your Fate to the Wind

I still think that it is an interesting choice.

I must be blanking out my first lp.

Wow, lemme see here....1st 45 was Hush by Deep Purple. Totally loved the great B3/Leslie, picked out the lead on my Fender Jaguar Organ (it was a Heathkit product - I actually put the thing together, soldered all the components, tuned the 12 oscillators right on each board with a little special tool - I think I was 14 at the time. Man, I wish I'd kept that organ - a great little Farfisa knock-off good for stuff like InnaGoddaDaVida and Light My Fire)

First LP was probably Sgt Pepper...So much a part of me and my history that it's probably coded in my DNA...

I still love almost all the old stuff I bought when I was a kid, some of it I appreciate now more than I did then, like the early Animals, Booker T & the MGs, Buffalo Springfield, Lovin' Spoonful, etc. But I don't think so much any more of Iron Butterfly or Blue Cheer.

M Peasley

I had a bunch of 45s and albums that I either inherited from my older brother and sisters or received as gifts but the first (actually 2) that I went out and bought with my own money were Led Zepplin II and REO II. I still remember that bus trip well.

Elton's Madman Across The Water -

I was an EJ freak back then, drawing portraits off the album covers and whatnot...definitely influenced my piano playing style (obvious mimicry etc). When I was 25 I started playing guitar and haven't played piano much since then...

Bob

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

What's the 1st album you bought. Not one that was given to you, but the one that you made the effort to pool the dough together and buy yourself.

Do you still like it?

How has it effected your musical mind since?

Mine was...

Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night

I still love it. It's given me a good sense of what good pop music is, that still has rock credibility and edge.

First tape was Talking Heads "True Stories".

It was some kind of twist record, with a studio band covering a handful of popular twist hits and then "twistifying" some other generic type standards and a couple public domain songs. The kind of thing that used to sell for $.88 when a new album cost $1.99.

But before that, the first single I bought was Harlem Nocturne by the Viscounts, a cut out by then, for $.10 at the local Rexall Drugs. I don't even know why I bought it. I didn't know the tune (now one of my all-time faves) and I thought the band probably pronounced their name "vis" "counts"... [ Here\'s a (hopefully) amusing robo-rendering of that tune, unavailable to the public. It was an interesting experiment to see how 'natural' I could get a single GM bank to sound. I found the pre-arranged MIDI file on the web -- I think it's a swell arrangement and I wish I knew who was responsible for it!]

I still have the Viscounts single but the Twist record disappeard for a nickle or so at my first garage sale back int he early 70s. I also sold all my old spy records and all my Enoch Light/Command Performance stuff -- and that kills me today. WTF was I thinking?!?

Thriller.

I'm pretty sure it was the first album -I- bought. What I'm still trying to figure out is if it was an impulse purchase, or if i bought it because I had heard the songs somewhere else.

I remember really liking it tho, and I still think it's a decent album. :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

MAn I could tell you, but I'd lose any credibilty I ever had on this forum....

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

my first album i buyed in 1965 all by myself at the age of 11, was:

SUN RA

The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Vol. 1

Yes, it had a huge impact on me, and is probably one of the first reasons why i became a composer.

Wow. That's some first album! 11 years old huh? Your friends must have thought you were a little different. ;)

I purchased 2 albums together when I was 16 years old in 1967, Freak Out by the Mothers and Insence and Pepperments by the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Man was I messed up back then :)

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Originally posted by theblue1:

Anyone who goes down to the record store solo at 11 and buys Sun Ra is manifestly deeper than me, I can tell you that... (not, you know, that I set the bar very high...)

:D

i had no idea who Sun Ra is at this moment, i think i buyed it, because the cover was the most interesting in the whole store... but then i listen to this Sun Ra album over and over again... i found it completly natural what he plays in my naive 11th year :D

i don't have this album no more, in 1985 my whole household was destroyed in a gas explosion because of a leak of the pipe in the cellar. Seven people where killed, i luckily, was not at home.

"Insence and Pepperments by the Strawberry Alarm Clock"

-that was quite something, but far away, and up in smoke :D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

I am 36, born in 1969.

First 7" single: The Police - "Don't Stand So Close To Me" (I was 11 years old).

First album/LP: The Pretenders - s/t (I was 10 years old).

I still love both, and I think they both stand the test of time.

I never realized until recently how much of an influence James Honeyman-Scott was on me.

...and Chrissie Hynde...damn...to this day, a dark-haired woman with brains and a take-no-shit attitude tempered with vulnerability and sweetness, playing a guitar, showing her love of rock... oh my! ;)

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived