Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name the 1st album you bought

KB

That's like the first two rock albums I bought as a teen. (The twist record I bought when I was 10 or so.)

I'd bought a lot of jazz, bossa, and other stuff by the time I was 16, but when I started getting interested in rock again (I don't want to give away my exact age, but let's just say the Summer of Love was in full swing), I bought "Sunshine Is" by the Sunshine Company ('famous' for covering "Feelin' Groovy" -- softening that Simon & Garfunkel song even more until it was a thoroughly sticky candy confection) and the first Grateful Dead album (the one with the studio version of Morning Dew, Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion, etc) which was considerably different than either their "psychedelic" period or their easygoing country-hippy period that extended from the mi-70's on. The epynonymous record was pretty much gritty, biker R&B and, while I was expecting psychedelic excess, it grew on me anyway.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by aeon:

...and Chrissie Hynde...damn...to this day, a dark-haired woman with brains and a take-no-shit attitude tempered with vulnerability and sweetness, playing a guitar, showing her love of rock... oh my! ;)

cheers,

aeon

Boy do I relate to that!

My first album was The Animals album with "House of the Rising Sun" on it. My first 45 was "Chug a Lug" by Roger Miller. I don't know how much they influence me now, though our band still does HotRS occasionally, but my chug a lugging days are behind me now. My first CD was, I believe, "Synchronicity" by the Police. It's funny I can remember the first album and 45 for sure, which were over 40 years ago, but not really sure of the first CD, which was only maybe 15 or 16 years ago! :D

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Cool thread ....

1st "Meet The Beatles"

2nd Hermans Hermits "Greatest Hits"

3rd "Led Zep I"

Caused me to quit playing baseball and get an electric GTR.

"House of the Rising Sun" was the 1st rock song I ever learned on GTR.

I still have have all those original albums and told my story to Eric Burden and have recorded Edgar Winter. I sure am lucky.

I still LOVE all those albums and have them on CD. I've probably listened to "Let It Be" more than any other record in my life.

DVD's: my 1st was "The Cell" Jennifer Lopez movie. I bought two copies.

Russ

Ok,

So it was Poison. Look What the Cat Dragged In.

I was like 10. I didn't know any better.

It was on tape.

The first CD I bought was Queensryche. Empire.

No I can't stand to listen to either of those...

But the first piece of vinyl I bought, Meantime by Helmet...I still listen to that...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

I'm 57 so I started buying 45 RPM singles first. I THINK the first one I shelled out any money for (my older sister bought tons of 45's, so I didn't have too) That'll be the day by Buddy Holly. My sister didn't like Buddy Holly very much. She said he "wasn't very cute". :rolleyes: Some things never change, huh?

I THINK I'm with Ted for my first album "Meet the Beatles". Bought EVERY ONE of their albums, had to buy replacements for ones I wore out.

Those were the days. Music was more original, prices were pretty "fair" too. ;)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have no idea. The line between what I asked my parents to buy and what I bought with my own money is really hazy.

The first I absolutely remember buying myself was Billy Joel - 52nd Street. Definitely a great album. I'm enamoured of the lesser known cuts, particularly the ode to his mother, Rosalinda's Eyes. Back then Billy was mixing many different cultural influences in his music. That cut, Zanzibar and Stiletto are my favorites. Broadcast stations only picked up the more radio friendly tunes. (Which, btw, I love too.) It didn't hurt to start with the hard hitting intro to Big Shot. :thu:

Before that I was fortunate to receive Free To Be You And Me, a live Beach Boys album, and my parents already owned the 1962-66 and 1967-70 (red and blue) Beatles albums. So I'd been basking in Beatles and plenty of other great music before I ever had to shell out my own dough. I also had an older brother, 3 years my senior. Any rock my parents would never listen to was possible through my bro. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

IIRC, it was Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Followed shortly afterward by Pat Traverse's "Crash and Burn."

Variety is the spice of life. ;)

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

My sister had already bought some Beatles stuff, so....

First single may very well have been - Cream "Sunshine of Your Love"

First LP, I think, was Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" (yay!!)

Man, what impressive taste for a 9 year old kid, if I do say so myself.

Then again, for all I remember, the first single may have actually been the 1910 Fruit Gum Company "Goody Goody Gum drops" (NOOO!!! Don't ever make me go back and listen to that, I don't know if I could stand the SHAME!)

First album could've been The Monkees (ahem...uh...not...cool. Someone in my house bought it and I might've been the perpetrator.) :rolleyes:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

When I first read the question, I didn't even have to think about it- Emerson, Lake and Palmer (the first one) Did it influence me musically? I think so, but I never did become a musician. I did become a professional sound reinforcement engineer... Oooooh, what a lucky man I was!
Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

I used to listen to my sister's and my friend Steve's records.

The first I ever bought at Dart Drug in Springfield, VA were -

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (cassette)

and

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse (vinyl)

herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass "Going places"

Loved the mix, the vibe and still do. Mono of course. Stereo was a dollar more. 2.96 V 3.96

I have both, the mono is more definitive to listen to.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

My parents had all of Herb's stuff and they were truly my first "favorite group." I wrote a letter to Herb when I was 6 or 7 and A&M sent me an autographed pic. It holds a treasured spot in the Songrytr archives.

:D

And how about that "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" cover? Woo-hoo!

this house is empty now...

Originally posted by songrytr:

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

My parents had all of Herb's stuff and they were truly my first "favorite group." I wrote a letter to Herb when I was 6 or 7 and A&M sent me an autographed pic. It holds a treasured spot in the Songrytr archives.

:D

And how about that "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" cover? Woo-hoo!

I also listened to Herb Alpert as a boy and really dug it. Still do! :thu:

"Whipped cream" cover still is great...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

The Royal Guardsmen.

"Snoopy vs. the Red Baron"

I still have it.

I was maybe 12. Maybe younger.

But I didn't buy it for the title track. I bought it for their cover of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

It appealed (and appeals) to my pop sensibilities.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

First bought:Hendrix bootleg live album. it started off with the first two bars of Purple Haze and then went into 15 minutes of feedback freakout bliss. Then it morphed into Hear my Train A Comin'.

Second bought: Tubes Live bootleg: Stunning, Energetic and Wild.

Wish I still had them!

Before that I inherited a Hendrix, Johnny Winter and Roy Buchanan Collection from a buddy when he moved. Crazy stuff for a 14 year old!

Sorry if this gets a little long, but I get nostalgic about my first records...

First album with MY OWN money? hmmmmmm...

Probably Kiss Originals. It contained Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed to Kill.

I was maybe 9 or 10.

Early albums I wanted that my parents bought for me:

A Monkees hit's collection.

Elvis Golden Records.

Elton John Greatest Hits (I probably bought it for Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting))

A K-Tel or Ronco record called 'Get it On'. I was about 6, I think.

(It had songs like:

Smok'n in the Boys Room -Brownsville Station

Playground In My Mind -(my name is michael, I've got a nickel.... :freak: )- Clint Holmes

Me and Mrs. Jones -Billy Paul

The Morning After (from The Poseidon Adventure)-by whoever wrote that song.

Spiders and Snakes (I also had the Jim Stafford album that had Spiders and Snakes on it. Some strange songs on that album, as I recall)

Painted Ladies -Ian Thomas (oooooh Feel'n fine mama....painted ladies and a bottle of wine mama)

I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Baby -Barry White (I was convinced that NO ONE could sing that low, so I thought that was the only song on the album that had to be played at 45. :D )

PLUS 13 more hits by the orginal artists!!! :love:

Little known fact: I threw up the day I bought that album.....it's true, I'm not making it up!

40 Funky Hits

A three album set of odd tunes from the 50's and 60's :

Stuff like:

Alley Oop -Dante & The Evergreens

Surfin Bird -The Trashmen

Shimmy Shimmy Koko Bop -Little Anthony and the Imperials

Ahab the Arab -Ray Stevens

Dirty Water -The Standells

Sister Sooky -The Turbans.....I love this song so much, I still have a copy on my MP3 player.

Great tunes from a time when lyrics meant NOTHING....and we liked it that way!

I'm very thankful I had that album.

I also had the soundtrack to Jaws.

Story goes like this:

When I bought it I thought I was buying "Mister Jaws", a really cheezy comedy album that "uses samples from other songs for humorous effect"

Click for an excerpt

....Pretty bad.

Anyway, I ended up with the actual soundtrack by mistake, and was disapointed at first......then I started getting REALLY into it. Great intro to classical music. I used to listen to it all the time, and try an imagine scenes from the movie.

Later I tried listening to a Beethoven album that my Mom got at the supermarket, but I just couldn't connect with it.

45's I had.

I had quite a few. A few that come to mind are:

Island Girl -Elton John

Proud Marry/Born on the Bajou -CCR

Fox on the Run/Burn on the Flame -The Sweet

Surf'n USA -Beachboys

Kung-fu Fighting - Carl Douglas

Seasons in the Sun/Put the Bone In -Terry Jacks

Helter Skelter/Got to Get You Into My Life -Beatles

AND LET'S JUST GET THIS OUT IN THE OPEN, SHALL WE???

Yes, dammit! I had Ray Steven's 'The Streak' and 'Convoy' by CW McCall!

There....the cat's finally out of the bag!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

At 9 years old in 1970, the 1st LP I bought was The Beatles - Hey Jude:

Hey Jude (album)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hey Jude

LP by The Beatles

Released February 26, 1970 (US)

May 11, 1979 (UK)

Recorded Abbey Road 1964-9

Genre Rock

Length 32 min 25 s

Label Apple

Capitol SW 385 (US)

Parlophone PCS 7184 (UK)

Producer George Martin

Professional reviews

All Music Guide (3/5) link (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47916DB4AAC7120C79A3647D1A17FE70BFE41F69B1B39455BD8B023068E0238F457E98088CBFE31F41FE9B326BB5B0CCCC8EE56F8906E373F8EE4A269285E 36&uid=SUB020408132023&sql=10:3e8o1vjjzzxa~T1)

The Beatles Chronology

Abbey Road

(1969) Hey Jude

(1970) Let It Be

(1970)

Hey Jude (originally titled Beatles Again) was a 1970 compilation of singles and b-sides from various points in The Beatles' career, as well as the A Hard Day's Night album track "I Should Have Known Better". The common thread running through all the album's tracks was that they were otherwise unavailable on LP in the United States; in part this was a consequence of the Beatles' unwillingness to include single releases on their contemporaneous albums, and partially it was a consequence of Capitol's habit of recompiling the Beatles' Parlophone releases for the American market.

Until the release of The Beatles 1967-1970 in 1973, Hey Jude was the only way to own the extremely popular full-length "Hey Jude" single on LP. The compilation was only released in the United States, although it was a popular import in the UK.

The CD era saw the harmonisation of the Beatles' US and UK discographies, and Hey Jude is no longer available. The entirety of its track listing is available on other albums, including The Beatles 1967-1970 and Past Masters, Volume Two.

[edit]

Track listing

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney, except where noted.

[edit]

Side one

"Can't Buy Me Love" (1964) 2:19

"I Should Have Known Better" (1964) 2:39

"Paperback Writer" (1966) 2:14

"Rain" (1966) 2:58

"Lady Madonna" (1968) 2:14

"Revolution" (1968) 3:21

[edit]

Side two

"Hey Jude" (1968) 7:06

"Old Brown Shoe" (1969) (Harrison) 3:16

"Don't Let Me Down" (1969) 3:30

"The Ballad of John and Yoko" (1969) 2:55

1st Album of any kind

The Osmonds - "Phase III"

I still like it. :D

1st 45

Jackson 5 - "ABC"

All the early Jackson 5 stuff was great.

1st Rock album

Alice Cooper - "Schools Out"

Still a classic.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived