Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time." What a great song.

So true.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Originally posted by phaeton:

"Cruel Summer" comes to mind, but I'm not sure who that is. Some of the Go-Gos from the early days of MTV was great.

Both versions of the "i'm your venus, i'm your fire, what's your desire" song, but i especially dig the one done by the hawt chicks.

Cruel Summer and Venus? Looks like you're a Bananarama fan! I actually like them too.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

The Carpenters "Close To You" is the first song that came to mind when I first saw this thread title.

Other than that, there are a good many schlocky songs mentioned above that I like from the sixties onward, probably too many! ;):D

I have to take exception, though, to the notion that the following songs are schlocky:

"Time After Time"

"Bridge Over Troubled Water"

"Alive and Kicking"

Originally posted by theblue1:

Okay... I'll go one more -- and this one is out of left field but I think it's on the money, anyhow: Capt. Beefheart and the Magic Band's "Too Much Time."

A little schlocky, I suppose. But it doesn't hold a candle in my book to Beefheart's less schlocky, but stirringly beautiful "My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains."

"My arms are just two things in the way until I can wrap them around you..." :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by phaeton:

..."Cruel Summer" comes to mind, but I'm not sure who that is. Some of the Go-Gos from the early days of MTV was great.

Both versions of the "i'm your venus, i'm your fire, what's your desire" song, but i especially dig the one done by the hawt chicks...

That would be Bananarama. I actually like them too. :o

I thought of another one to add to my list:

"Break Out" by Swing Out Sister. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Practically everything Burt Bacharach every wrote

Several Jimmy Webb songs like Glen Campbell "Witchita Lineman" and The Brooklyn Bridge "The Worst That Could Happen". I'm not a "MacArthur Park" fan, though.

All the big Chicago ballads like "Colour My World", "Wishing You Were Here", "If You Leave Me Now". I even like the David Foster era Chicago more now than I did in the '80s.

Toto "I'll Be Over You"

Bobby Caldwell "What You Won't Do For Love"

Agreed on "Time After Time", The Carpenters and ABBA, "Walk Away Renee", Andrew Gold's "Lonely Boy" (thanks, Khan)

I'm going off the path again, but there's a goodly huge lot of songs in the Disney classics that i like. You know, like the mice singing

we can do it we can do it we can help cinderelli and stuff.

IIRC Toy Story had some good 'musical moments' too. I'm not really into the theological overtones of 'Veggie Tales', but they've got some very well done musical pieces in their episodes. Geared towards kids, but still excellent examples of professional compositioning and people having fun doing it.

I guess i should admit that I dig the Spongebob Theme song, and The Simpsons theme tune is a top notch piece of music, IMHO. And let's not forget the oompa-loompa song from Willy Wonka's Chocolate Sweatshop! It's dark, it's moody, it's melodic like Russian Circus music :thu::thu:

And yes, I appear to be a Bananarama fan. Like DC Ross previously said, i also tend to like just about every song that played in a Molly Ringwald movie....

Whenever that song "don't forget about me" comes on on the radio, i go "That was a great movie", and pretty much everyone knows what I'm talking about. (and agrees)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Practically everything Burt Bacharach every wrote

Several Jimmy Webb songs like Glen Campbell "Witchita Lineman" and The Brooklyn Bridge "The Worst That Could Happen".

Jimmy and Burt. I love that style of pop music. I would love to be involved in a music venture where that type of music was being created.

The long melodic arc.

Originally posted by Programgirl:

Probably the schlockiest, sappiest, most romantic song of all time -

'Wang Dang Sweet Poontang' by Ted Nugent

Oh yeah. That was a good one. My high school girlfriend and I used to listen to that one late on Friday nights and just ball our eyes out.

Originally posted by BLAblablah:

No one's mentioned any songs by the Archies :D

Barry

Going once...

Going twice...

Little bit of trivia...Don Kirshner was trying to get the Monkees to record "Sugar Sugar".

And speaking of which, there's a lot of the Monkees catalog I liked. A lot was written by other folks, but it's good stuff. Carol King's "Pleasant Valley Sunday", Michael Martin Murphey's "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round" among tons of others...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Originally posted by Programgirl:

Probably the schlockiest, sappiest, most romantic song of all time -

'Wang Dang Sweet Poontang' by Ted Nugent

Oh yeah. That was a good one. My high school girlfriend and I used to listen to that one late on Friday nights and just ball our eyes out.
Excellent play on words, Lee.

Originally posted by Tedster:

...And speaking of which, there's a lot of the Monkees catalog I liked. A lot was written by other folks, but it's good stuff. Carol King's "Pleasant Valley Sunday", Michael Martin Murphey's "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round" among tons of others...

I would not refer to either of those songs as schlocky or cheesey. I think that both of them are just excellent all-around pop-rock compositions. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by Tedster:

...And speaking of which, there's a lot of the Monkees catalog I liked. A lot was written by other folks, but it's good stuff. Carol King's "Pleasant Valley Sunday", Michael Martin Murphey's "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round" among tons of others...

I would not refer to either of those songs as schlocky or cheesey. I think that both of them are just excellent all-around pop-rock compositions. :thu:
Well, I agree...and in several cases here, I'd say the same thing. Some folks would consider them schlocky just because the Monkees recorded them. Hey, I dug the Monkees. :D

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" - Peter Paul and Mary

Good call. Penned by none other than Mr. John Denver. So let's add...

Country Roads

I'm Sorry

Rocky Mountain High

and about 5 others by the master of "Faux Folk"

(Hey, I just created a new music category!)

Sail On (Commodores)

Loving You (Minnie Ripperton)

Timothy ("trapped in a mine no food to eat..." - don't know the band but it was about a Donner Party type tragedy where poor Timothy was eaten...)

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Originally posted by tradivoro:

[qb] I like the way music sounds today, heck, I'm actively making music that's totally current, but I miss the lack of cynisism. The open expression of feelings. The only cool feelings now in songs are sexual, anger, etc.

I like songs about sex and anger, but I also like songs about... um, corny head over heels love, heart pangs, Snowbirds, etc.

:love:

Well, actually I was laughing last night, cause I saw this video by a group called Jet and the song was something like "look what you've done", and I thought about this discussion... These were young guys doing a sappy love song, with a Beatles influence... The drum fills were a riot, they reminded me of "In the Court of the Crimson King"...

who-HO-oh...I always feel like, somebody's watchin meeeeeee...

Every step you take, every breath you make, I'll be watching you....

THESE days, both these songs would get you locked up....

WWND?

My gf is appalled and reeling in terror at my mention of Ace Of Base.... to the point where she is now insisting, "I don't know you!"

:eek:

Of course, she listens to Lucinda Williams

I see no difference in schlockyness there. :evil:

WWND?

Originally posted by Rob4CU:

Timothy ("trapped in a mine no food to eat..." - don't know the band but it was about a Donner Party type tragedy where poor Timothy was eaten...)

I think they were called "The Bouys." From Scranton, PA, of all places. (Coal country--but strip-mining)

"Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?

"Timothy, Timothy, God, why don't I know?"

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by dementia13:

I never thought I'd get to a thousand this way.

Now they're coming left and right:

"We Just Disagree", Dave Mason

"Magnet and Steel". Who does that? That's a great song.

That Peter Frampton "I'm In You" song.

Is it safe yet?

Alice Cooper, "Only Women Bleed"

Hey dementia13, I believe someone already answered that Magnet & Steel was Walter Egan, but I just wanted to let you know you can come to Nashville and see/hear Walter a lot.

He's playing at The Pond tonight at 9pm. Cover is only $5. :eek:

He used to run a Wednesday night, open writer's night that was simulcast for a short time by the local, late night, talk jock. It was neat to hear him play after all these years. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived