Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rainy Days and Mondays," of course. It's almost inhuman to hate that one. I have a soft spot for "Guitar Man," by Bread. And I like the similarly-themed "Superstar," also by the Carpenters.

BTW, I haven't been through the thread, but if anyone listed the single version of the Starship's "Miracles" I'm gonna climb through the internet and kick your ass on gen prin, even though such an action would be a) impossible; b) churlish; and c) out of keeping with the spirit of the whole thing. But it's gonna happen... I won't be able to help myself.

Oh wait... aside from you, Jeff... I am the thread. I need to get out and look around more.

Anyways, y'all been warned about "Miracles"...

:D;):D

Okay... I'll go one more -- and this one is out of left field but I think it's on the money, anyhow: Capt. Beefheart and the Magic Band's "Too Much Time."

Misc. things from the Cardigans, such as:

Marvel Hill

My Favourite Game

Love Me, Love Me

There's a whole lot of Video Game music that i find incredible, including easy listening jazz from Breath Of Fire III, Sim City* and such, but that's not soft rock ;)

Most of what you two guys have posted, i don't think i've ever heard.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

Serge Gainsbourg avec Jane Birkin

Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus

Moody Blues

The Night: Nights in White Satin

Procol Harum

A Whiter Shade of Pale

not all schlock'n'roll, but soft

Je T'Aime... yeah, that came out while I was still a callow youth... I couldn't figure out what was going on. :D

I don't know that I'd ever classify "Whiter Shade" as 'schlocky soft-rock'... terminally pretentious, maybe. (But I ate it up!)

Speaking of same (the terminal thing, that is), I could never really warm up to the Moodies' "Future Passed" album but I was aquainted last year with the Moody Bluegrass album built around some of the songs from Futue Passed and some other familiar Moody Blues stuf and, I have to say, some of it really kind of works as country. Although the spoken bit about the "bedside lament" is a bit much... ;)

Originally posted by Anderton:

Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time." What a great song.

...and a stellar performance!

The Association - "Cherish" and "Never My Love"

Bread - "Everything I Own" still chokes me up.

One more vote for:

"Love Fool" - Cardigans

"Time After Time" - Cindy Lauper

"True" - Spandau Ballet

... some more:

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - B. Tyler

"Kissing a Fool" - George Michael (yeah I know it's Swing...)

... all of them -but "love Fool"- are from the same decade.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Trying to think of some when I was very young and listening to AM on an earphone going to sleep.

'Precious and Few' by ?

'Pieces of April' -3 Dog Night

What was that Bee Gee song; I started a joke?

Several Janis Ian and what was that girl that McCartney produced, she had some great album stuff with just her singing and acoustic and string quartet. Her singles were 'Goodbye' and 'Those Were The Days...'

'Seventh Avenue' by Art Garfunkle (might have been 2nd ave).

'Daydream Believer' Monkees

Does 'Tide is High' by Blondie count? ;)

I think "Climax" is the "Precious and Few" band. The fun thing about that song is that you can sing that song as campy and Vegas-y as possible, and it's still not half as campy as he really sings it.

What keeps (most of) those Carpenters songs from being too sappy is Karen's singing. Wow.

Anyway, I'm unashamedly partial to: Chicago ballads from the 70s, like "If You Leave Me Now". And ELO could be pretty adventurous on their albums, but their singles definitely weren't. I like them anyway. "Telephone Line".

Cheap Trick, "The Flame"

Those two Sugar Ray sell-out songs. Those punky little bastards really turned out to be good at that sort of thing.

Another vote for "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. But does this actually count? This song is amazing!! Very underrated vocalist as well. I saw her do this live version of "Money Changes Everything" that seemed to channel Janis Joplin.

Okay, my turn...

"Thunder Island" by Jay Ferguson. :D

"Arthur's Theme" by Christopher Cross

"Lights" by Journey

I never thought I'd get to a thousand this way.

Now they're coming left and right:

"We Just Disagree", Dave Mason

"Magnet and Steel". Who does that? That's a great song.

That Peter Frampton "I'm In You" song.

Is it safe yet?

Alice Cooper, "Only Women Bleed"

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - B. Tyler

Me, too...I can even play it.

You wanna hear a really bad one that I've always liked? Mandy - Barry Manilow. :o

...oh, and my all-time favorite schlocky soft-rock song? Bridge Over Troubled Water. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by miki:

"Because the Night (belongs to lovers)" - B. Springstein - but I like the 10,000 Maniacs version with Natalie Merchant doing vocals.

I'm with ya, Mik - Natalie does a great job on that...and that's another one I like to play on the piano...

Here's another one - Without You by Harry Nilsson. The Heart version of that ain't bad either...

Does Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) count as schlock-rock? ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived