Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite sandwich?

Add me to the day after Thanksgiving turkey sandwich fan club. Even better on cranberry-pecan bread from one of my local bakeries. I don't even want to see turkey 2-3 days after T-giving.

All time favorite:

Warm pastrami and tongue combo (yes, beef tongue) at the Carnegie Deli. Big enough for 2 meals. With a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray and maybe half a potato knish. And an angioplasty appointment.

Honorable mentions:

Beef on Weck at Charlie the Butcher in Buffalo. Or Jim's cheesesteak in Philly. Or Italian beef anywhere around Chicago.

The Egg McMuffin, perhaps the single best fast food sandwich.

In early summer, a fried soft shell crab sandwich on a good roll.

In late summer, sliced very ripe tomato with Hellman's mayo on good white bread. It's a BLT sans B & L.

A great burger will kill a mediocre steak every time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sylver:

So, I make this roast pork ...

I get a pork shoulder, then remove the bone. Salt, pepper, gaaaaarlic (sliced or crushed, depending on the mood) and fresh thyme and rosemary inside, the roll that sucker up and tie it off. Salt and pepper on the outside and slow roasted until the meat just falls apart.

Then I take the bone and make a stock with it. Add the skimmed pan drippings at the end.

THEN, I slice up that pork as thin as I can, and drop it into a crock pot with the pork aujus. Let it steep for about an hour, then serve on a crusty (well soaked on the inside if you lika da juice) italian roll with a slice of provolone cheese and some sauted brocolli rabe.

You have to eat it quick before the crusty roll gets soggy. It's still pretty good soggy though.

Yum.

I love sandwiches.

I do the same thing until the stock aujus part... that sounds great. Roast Pork Sandwich!

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

When it comes to sandwiches, for me, it's all about good bread and lots of meat and cheese. Some things can compliment that (pickles, condiments), but for the most part, I don't want things getting in the way of the flavors of the meat, cheese and bread. :)

Amen! Even most condiments are too strong for me... mayo just BURIES the flavor of the other stuff, IMO. Plus, it's just gross. :D Give me a good turkey and swiss on rye or on a nice sourdough French bread or a kaiser roll, with just some lettuce, onion, a little oil and vinegar and spices. Yum!

I love egg and cheese on an English muffin, too, sometimes with turkey bacon (I don't do beef or pork).

Rueben - has to have russian dressing. My personal pet peeve is when restuarants ask if you want russian dressing, then give it to you in a plastic cup.

BLT

Chicken Club - Preferably in Grinder form.

Flying Leprechaun - A hamburger with bacon, and a special blend of cheese sauce - Monteray, pepper jack, cheddar, and jalapenos.

:thu:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the fishwich from Mickey Dee's. :D

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Originally posted by deanmass:

Halle Berry and Nicole Kidman....

Er....

Originally posted by paully:

Hard salami and American cheese on white toast, accompanied by a cold, mild scotch and water.. YUMM. :thu:

Is it a coincidence that these two replies appeared next to each other?

Halle + Nicole = hard salami, followed by a scotch & soda. ;)

I skipped page 1, anybody mention pan bagnat?

PB with grape jelly or apple butter.

Roast beef and/or pastriami with swiss.

A burger and fries.

Skirt steak on a potato roll with mayo.

A Hebrew National hotdog on a potato bun.

Just a few of my favorite things.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

I'm a sucker for a good Reuben.

I also like to spruce up grilled cheeses by adding ham and garlic powder...and occasionally oregano...

Aside to that, anything where you put the whole garden on the sandwich is great for me.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

In honor of this thread, last night I had grilled cheese sammy's with a little wipe of habanero mustard...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by Gator Wing:

...A Hebrew National hotdog on a potato bun.

Just a few of my favorite things.

I never think of hotdogs as a sandwich, but I guess they are.

It was only because of several trips home and the fact I could find Hebrew National hotdogs at Costco that I survived the past 10 years of my life in the hotdog-no man's land of Nashville. :freak:

In the past 6 months two hotdog joints have opened, in and around Nashville, worth talking about. The downtown shop is ok. The other, opened by someone who lived in the same part of Chicagoland I'm from, is incredible.

Now I don't have to drive 9 hours to go home for a real hotdog! :thu::thu:

The secrets?

Vienna, all beef hotdog. S. Rosen's poppyseed bun (makes a profound taste and textural difference over plain buns.), dill pickle wedge, diced onions, "nuclear green" pickle relish (more towards cucumber than pickle), tomato wedges, mustard and green-hot peppers. MMmmmmm.

Hebrew National are a fine substitute for Vienna, but Vienna has such an iconic relationship with hundreds of hotdog joints in Chicago that the memory of eating dogs all over the Windy City is only right with a Vienna Beef 'dog inside. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

It was only because of several trips home and the fact I could find Hebrew National hotdogs at Costco...

Vienna, all beef hotdog.

Yes, Costco is were I get my HN franks, too. Except for right now, since I am trying to lose weight, I have been staying away from them.

Never had a Vienna. Must be very good. I know when I make a Hebrew National frank for a goy who has never had them, they are amazed at how good they taste.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Gator - Hebrew National and Vienna taste almost identical. The Vienna has a bigger pop when your teeth first break the casing, though. ;):)

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

True Love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky. I love that.

:thu::D

MIRACLE MAX

Now, mostly dead is slightly alive. Now, all dead...well, with all dead, there's usually only one thing that you can do.

INIGO

What's that?

He stops pumping.

MIRACLE MAX

Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

:D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Man, so many are good...

For breakfasty-eggy, I love a good Monte Cristo, on thick slices of egg-battered, grilled sourdough, with a little real maple syrup. (I'm from Vermont, can't help it.) I actually like to add a grilled slice of bermuda onion to these, and maybe even a light spread of honey mustard on the inside.

The "sky-highs" at Jerry's all over L.A. are a favorite, especially after covering something Saturday night and needing some good hearty fuel for banging on the laptop, not to mention a booth big enough - my 17" Toshiba monster crushes spindly, upscale bistro tables. I usually go for a combo of pastrami and corned beef, plenty of thousand island, and caramelized onions in addition to kraut. Swiss cheese, of course. And since Jerry's has a full bar, an extra-spicy Stoli mary or three in one hand is the perfect balance for lots of strong black coffee in the other.

This is making me feel like cooking. Forum potluck, anyone?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I know this thread is about sandwhiches but anybody here have heard of "Olga's Kitchen"? Man, I miss their wraps or even just the plain Olga bread. When my wife was still living in Michigan I used to make sandwiches out of them bread. Yummy...

Archived