Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is life and living conditions like in Australia??? Just a question for now; but also a serious consideration for a career change.

I'm REALLY hitting a burnout after 20 years with the USPS so I went online to see what was available in careers surrounding shipping. FedEx being a merger with the USPS, yet entirely different, I stumbled upon their International careers listing. Seems to be a demand in Australia for FedEx careers. I've worked in nearly every aspect of the service, from sorting mails, dealing with customs regulations, shipping registered and other highly secured shipments, being a training instructor, safety captain, supervision, quality control and industrial engineering while working with the technical aspect of automation... I pretty much know shipping operations from A to Z, while being familiar and adept in the operational procedures of most ALL mail/parcel sorting machines, and I'm ready for a serious change.

I've not spoke with my children about it yet, but aside from getting political here, America is no longer America; a change might do me good.

Maybe it's just that I'm tired, but this may certainly be something I check into more thoroughly.

[edited to change topic title to some more suitable to what this thread has resolved to]

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. i agree with John

it is quite different to the states...

having toured the states up to 4 months in a year... and almost marrying an american.. i know the differences well. :rolleyes:

the food is fresher!

we call it petrol.. not gas...

less sugar in everything!

not everything is deepfried! lol... thats for those from the south!

but seriously... is a great country to live. we have space for a few more...

That was the quickest way!

go figure that for logic.... no wonder the brits are miserable!

they live on a crowded, cloudy, grey wet island... and they send all their criminals to The Great South land of Australia as punishment!??!!

as they say... Australia was founded on criminals... and America on self righteous bigots....

guess nothing's changed! LOL

:D:D:D

just jokes!

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Ani - you should travel here first before you make any decisions :) Time for a holiday??

check out NZ too.

cheers

john

Before I make any inquiries into the job or make plans to travel abroad, there are certain things that I would like to learn about any foreign region that I would consider. Aussie has an instant thumbs up as far as language; I wouldn't have to learn another language to co-exist. I might talk with a funny American accent, but hey... at least I could communicate. :D

Other concerns would be religious beliefs, educational facilities for my children and self, medical facilities and their availability, cost of living, dangerous animals, snakes, spiders...... how well Americans are accepted, and other things. There are a lot of things to be considered; but a lot of it would depend on wages being offered and relocation expenses. I would have to sell my home, or at least rent it prior to departure.

One of the things that I am looking at is the fact that American technologies tend to be more advanced than many countries abroad. I really don't know how far ahead and to which countries they are advanced though.

I only recall when I was initially building my web site; the Australian government website was a mass of links in no particular order and without organization. In the back side of my site, I browsed through all of the Aussie gov links that pertained to the entertainment industry and built a mini site for the Aussie legalities pertaining to entertainment.... Prior to posting the links, I contacted the Australian Copyright Council and requested permissions to post the link to the mini site I had created, explaining my reasons for organizing the links as I had while providing them a link to the US Copyright Office. My permission was denied to use the mini site I had created, but rather the ACC completely redesigned and reorganized their website for the Arts based on the structure I had presented to them. At first I was offended when they told me to continue using the initial link that had been a complete mess of titles without organization, but when I learned that they were taking my recommendations for site enhancement to heart and actually implementing the changes; I was greatly honored.

It's been quite some time ago, but one of the other Australian site communities requested that I establish a full Australian "mini site" within my global site to be accepted within the Australian territories and included inside their directories as both a regional and a global resource. The mini site still stands inside of my main site, and it is the only country that I've done that for.

Not a big deal, but I thought I'd share. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to communicate with governments outside of my own... It made it even cooler because I had one of the first web sites on the net that introduced the multilingual translators prior to any of the search engines ever adopting the technology. Mine was a beta testing site for the Babelfish technology introduced by Systran and embraced by Alta Vista. Now translators are no big deal... they're everywhere.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

I wouldn't have to learn another language to co-exist.
Apparently, you haven't spoken with too many Australians, then. :D

Sounds dumb, but my biggest problem would be the inverted weather.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Phait:

I dunno, but New Zealand is calling me. It's like Australia's disembodied turd, except beautiful.

umm....are you normally plagued by the voices of disembodied turds? Do you hear little screams as you flush?
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

I wouldn't have to learn another language to co-exist.
Apparently, you haven't spoken with too many Australians, then. :D

Nope not dumb at all - I have American and Canadian friends who all say they couldn't cope with summer at Xmas time ;)

Originally posted by Ani:

...how well Americans are accepted...

A high school friend's brother married an Australian girl and settled there (in the '70s). From what I remember, his brother was very happy; didn't have any problems.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by Keysking:

...America on self righteous bigots...

LOL! Never heard that one before, but must be true because the country is full of 'em!
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by Gator Wing:

...how well Americans are accepted...

A high school friend's brother married an Australian girl and settled there (in the '70s). From what I remember, his brother was very happy; didn't have any problems.
Really depends on the American.

Act like an ass get treated like an ass...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I personally would not mind year round summer unless it was desert type conditions. How hot does the weather get there, and what type of humidity levels do you have? I understand that climates such as Phoenix, AZ here in the states are less likely to have problems with pollens and allergens... very minut problems with mold; that would be a "good thing" as I have allergies and the Midwest is breeding grounds for mold spores.

I have read articles published by Objectivists that have mentioned places like Northern Ireland killing any that profess to be Christians; what is the religious culture like in Aussie? Do you have freedom to practice a faith of choice, do you have churches or synagogues where people join together, are persons penalized or executed for believing in God???

I have heard many American men speak rudely about Australian women while bragging about their promiscuity and ease in getting laid. Several of them speak of the women as being the lifestyle of the entire continent... Is there any truth in those statements proclaiming that the Aussie women are passed from man to man, while some women are shared between several... OUTSIDE of prostitution and just blatant whoredom??? Are there women of virtue that live dignified lives, or is Aussie a man's world to where women are treated as inferior and are held to the expectations of their keepers? This would especially be important to know for the sake of my daughter and what type of life she would be wrought into. What is Australia's view on women in the workforce; is there equality in employment opportunities, are women allowed to be managers or in a leadership capacity of any sort?

These are all questions that boggle my mind whenever I consider the possibilities of stepping outside the boundaries of that which I've known all my life.

...I have read articles published by Objectivists that have mentioned places like Northern Ireland killing any that profess to be Christians; what is the religious culture like in Aussie? Do you have freedom to practice a faith of choice, do you have churches or synagogues where people join together, are persons penalized or executed for believing in God???

I have heard many American men speak rudely about Australian women while bragging about their promiscuity and ease in getting laid. Several of them speak of the women as being the lifestyle of the entire continent... Is there any truth in those statements proclaiming that the Aussie women are passed from man to man, while some women are shared between several... OUTSIDE of prostitution and just blatant whoredom??? ....

Ani, I've had this conversation with you before about Northern Ireland. One more time.

THEY ARE ALL CHRISTIAN. It's a sectarian struggle where both Protestants and Catholics are killing each other. Please, stop repeating this nonsense.

As to the ladies of Aussie land all being whores. Where do you get this kind of information? Who do you hang out with?

You confound me on this one. :freak:

Perhaps you need to get out and travel a bit.

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

As to the ladies of Aussie land all being whores. Where do you get this kind of information? Who do you hang out with?

You confound me on this one.

Perhaps you need to get out and travel a bit.

Any time I mention the thought of moving out of this country to a land abroad such as Australia, where I would not have to learn another language; there are several men that I work with that have stories to tell about their military or travel experiences to Aussie. I "ALWAYS" hear about how Aussie was the land of damnation for the criminal rejects of England, and I "ALWAYS" hear snide remarks about how there is no virtue among women over there. Maybe it's that I am naive... and GULLIBLE :o ... that they enjoy bursting my bubble about breaking away. Keep in mind that I live in an area that is HEAVILY RED in the voting polls. I'm not supposed to think outside of the box.

Also, I have never traveled outside of the United States, with the exception of crossing over the border into Canada one time on a Ferry boat from Seattle, WA where my parents garaged the car on the boat and then we drove back across.

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

Wow...you just managed to insult an entire continent. Twice.

Chris,

I am not trying to insult an entire continent at all.... I'm dead serious about learning about their culture and weeding out all the bullshit hearsay from local yoko's around these part and finding out the REAL truth!!!

When my grandfather came from the old country (Italy) some of his family followed suit, but not all of them came to America. I have cousins in Australia. My cousins in Melbourne have lived there all their lives. Australia is a wonderful place to live from what I can see.

Ani,

As far as Australian women being "loose" I don't know where you get that idea. Australians are no more or less permissive than any other society. I live in Los Angeles, and I have many friends here from Australia and NZ. I think what you mistake is that Australia has more of a Eurpoean sensibility towards sexuality than we do in America. It is a less repressive culture. That doesn't mean that the people are morally or ethically challenged. In fact, Australian culture is somewhat conservative, but it is distinctly different from the American sense of conservatism.

It is true that Australia was founded by some rough and tumble folks, and not just criminals either. Both nations were initially founded by "undesirables" from the British Empire. That's one similarity we have. They exported the poor, many whom had to resort to criminal behavior in order to survive, to Australia. They exported the religious fanatics to America. BTW - If you don't think the Puritans weren't religious fanatics, please explain the Salem witch trials to me.

I spent three weeks down under on vacation in the mid-nineties.

Id move to Sydney in a flash. Great city. Quite young for its size.

Best place on earth to be on new years eve.

Best oysters in the world by a factor of 10.

Great beaches.

The suns rays really are much harsher than in the northern hem. Gotta take care about that.

I know some folks from there.

There are no significant cultural issues at all.

Folks are much more relaxed than in major metro areas in the US.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Geez, Ani - then do some research about the place before you just come out & ask "Do y'all persecute Christians?" and "Are all the Aussie women sluts?". You're good enough at finding things on the Internet - why should you take the word of a bunch of idiot men who'd probably lie about anything with a vagina?

Australia is actually a civilized society, with a long history. I bet you find that they have all kinds of attitudes there - just like here.

For a country/continent nearly as large geographically as the continental US, seems like generalizations wouldn't really apply very well.

It also doesn't surprise me that you've heard some American men speaking rudely about women and brag about promiscuity and getting laid (although I doubt this is unique to stories about Australia alone...).

Originally posted by GTRBass:

When my grandfather came from the old country (Italy) some of his family followed suit, but not all of them came to America. I have cousins in Australia. My cousins in Melbourne have lived there all their lives. Australia is a wonderful place to live from what I can see.

Ani,

As far as Australian women being "loose" I don't know where you get that idea. Australians are no more or less permissive than any other society. I live in Los Angeles, and I have many friends here from Australia and NZ. I think what you mistake is that Australia has more of a Eurpoean sensibility towards sexuality than we do in America. It is a less repressive culture. That doesn't mean that the people are morally or ethically challenged. In fact, Australian culture is somewhat conservative, but it is distinctly different from the American sense of conservatism.

It is true that Australia was founded by some rough and tumble folks, and not just criminals either. Both nations were initially founded by "undesirables" from the British Empire. That's one similarity we have. They exported the poor, many whom had to resort to criminal behavior in order to survive, to Australia. They exported the religious fanatics to America. BTW - If you don't think the Puritans weren't religious fanatics, please explain the Salem witch trials to me.

Thank You GTRbass, this is more what I was looking for and it opens a lot of doors for deeper evaluation. Now that you bring up the European sensibility, it explains why the men around these parts (religious extremists) would suggest that the women of Australia are whores.

Come to think of it, I remember one of my neighbors calling me a whore to my face when I got engaged to my second husband and I insisted on a trial live-in prior to marriage. He moved in with me, SHACKING UP, and I quickly became the gossip of the neighborhood.... the Lady Tramp that was living in SIN!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Didn't matter that I married him 4 months later, nor did it matter that I had lived there alone for 3 years prior and had never had a man spend the night at my home..

Also, when I consider how the criminals were ejected from the British Empire and sent to Australia; I also take a look at how America came to be. Religious????? More like murderous bastards that saw what they wanted and took the land away from those that preoccupied the newfoundland. Even after the American / Indian battles; the wars continued over territories, precious metals and gems....

Trying not to get political here, but MURDER by religious folk is not considered to be criminal??????????

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

Geez, Ani - then do some research about the place before you just come out & ask "Do y'all persecute Christians?" and "Are all the Aussie women sluts?". You're good enough at finding things on the Internet - why should you take the word of a bunch of idiot men who'd probably lie about anything with a vagina?

Australia is actually a civilized society, with a long history. I bet you find that they have all kinds of attitudes there - just like here.

A part of learning about culture in places abroad is to take the opportunity of interacting with members of said society when possible. I am hoping that I have not offended any of my Aussie friends by seeking to explore their lifestyles in more depth... Yes, I have a knack for searching the web, but what would you suppose I use as a keyword???? Really???? You type in anything to do with anything pertaining to sex and you're going to get the entire internet of Porn windows popping non-stop onto your computer.

My questions were presented to our Aussie folks in hopes that they would reveal to me what I've suspected all along.... the snide and hateful remarks are of NO SUBSTANCE and the comments are just words spilling out of the mouths of a handful of ARROGANT AMERICAN SOB'S. My true thoughts are that Australia, just like America and any other country, has locations where women can be bought or easily had by military personnel or others willing to pay the fare. Whereas, there will be other locations where people live more conservatively, as GTRbass suggested.

Chris, you are the one getting all riled up and you are trying to turn this thread into something it is not.

quote:
Originally posted by Bon Mot:

"newfoundland?" okay, Ani. Good One. You really had me going there, what with the "local yoko's" and all. Pretty funny. :freak: and I'm not ashamed to admit to an error... Newfoundland to Cape Cod.... :rolleyes::o

Archived