Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Prague:

Everything you disdain you will find everywhere. I guarantee it.

Yes, that is true. But is only in the attempted exploration of "everywhere" that I will ever be able to find satisfaction in that which I strive to play an active role in; Globalization.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Dak,

If you are still checking in here, would you be interested in a Fleet Maintenance Manager position with FedEx located in San Juan, PR??? Spanish is a preferred language. If so, I just received the job description in my skills bank; I'll forward it if you like.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by Ani:

... Globalization.

That's cool. Explain Globalization for me.
:rolleyes: GET REAL!!! :rolleyes: Browse through my web site and then YOU can get a clue!!!

But just for starters may I suggest to you, International Economics and an entire world inclusive. A reduction in poverty among all countries..... and blah, blah, blah....

NOW... your turn.

Oh, ..... and to bring it down a notch or two in levels of comprehension; I'll point you to my section built specifically on International Trade :eek:

http://www.musicbizbuzz.net/trade/trade.htm

Don't hurt yourself by trying to take in too much all at once. ;)

Dak,

If you are still checking in here, would you be interested in a Fleet Maintenance Manager position with FedEx located in San Juan, PR??? Spanish is a preferred language. If so, I just received the job description in my skills bank; I'll forward it if you like.

Thanks Ani but not a chance in Hell.

You see, after 40 years in equipment maintenance, I had major job burnout. Working for large corporations added to that and the ensuing stress. Too often I saw the people above me in the hierarchy with few of the skills I possess, not to mention the knowledge and experience. They were very good at pandering to the higher levels, were yes men and never made a decision on their own. I got tired of higher management seeing the profits my shop generated and diverting that money for other, losing, jobs/sections.

I was on blood pressure medications, losing sleep at night and there were other manifestations. I finally took a medical leave of absense and during that time came to the conclusion the best thing for me and my family, in the long run, was to quit so I resigned. Within weeks, no, days my blood pressure dropped to normal again, I started sleeping nights and everything was better. That with few prospects for employment in sight. I jumped into real estate. I'm not making any money yet but I've been working very hard and I have lots of things in the air. They are starting to come within grasp and it will only get better. The stress that comes with this job is nothing to compare to the other and a whole different type of stress. It's a good stress, just something for motivation. I no longer have to worry about some idiot mechanic cutting corners or time and causing an accident that would maim or kill someone, damage the equipment or God knows what else. I also do not have to worry about being in compliance with every stupid and non-stupid city, county, state and federal rule and regulations that comes along regarding the environement, safety, gender bias, sexual preferance and harrassment & the list goes on and on and on.

Screw that, I'll do what I'm doing now.

For me to go back into fleet maintenance the company would pay through the nose. I would have to be the single decision maker in anything fleet related. I would also have to be compensated with a minimum of a half a million dollars a year with no regard to how many hours I put in during a given day, week, month or year and those hours at my discretion. ALL health related insurance and issues would have to be company paid with no out of pocket expenses incurred by me or my immediate family. A company vehicle of my choice would have to be provided with all associated expenses paid for by the company. Vacation time would go along with the above statement about no regard as to how or when I put in my time.

I actually had a company contact me, via a head hunter, about working for them. I told them they could not afford me but was assured that was not the case. A that time my conditions were fewer and I quoted them an annual guaranteed salary of one hundred thousand per year and full benefits, vehicle & some other stipulations. They ran like a scared rabbit.

Doesn't matter. I put in the same number of hours now that I did then. About the only difference is the part of the day. I generally start later and work later. I do have fewer days off but more time for myself because I can take three or four hours during the day if I choose.

So Ani, I guess what this rambling is all about is this. If you are, indeed, burned out and need the change just do something. You will be better off in the long run, maybe not always financially but overall.

Here's what I see and after all these years I do finally realize this thing is a fact. Women tend to piss and moan about how bad things are but really don't want to change things. They just want to commiserate among friends, let their feelings out and then fell better for awhile with those friends telling them how they understand and feel for them. They just want someone to listen to their woes.

Men, on the other hand, tend to see the problem and come up with a plan to fix the problem so they don't have to see it or hear about it any longer. That's part of the middle age crazy thing we get blamed for. Well, there's a problem, whether with job burnout, family, or something else and the man did something.

Now understand this. The key words are TEND. The rules are not cut into stone and there are exceptions.

A little saying from many years ago that pertains to the situation where folks, men or women, are waffling about an issue/problem/decision, and still pertains today.

"Shit or get off the pot."

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

By the way Ani... out of all the countries i've been to.. You would probably be more welcome in Aus as an American than anywhere else in the world.

Umm.. is there anyone on here apart from me, John and Phil that actually dont work another job besides music? (just wondering)

... Globalization.

That's cool. Explain Globalization for me.
:rolleyes: GET REAL!!! :rolleyes: Browse through my web site and then YOU can get a clue!!!

But just for starters may I suggest to you, International Economics and an entire world inclusive. A reduction in poverty among all countries..... and blah, blah, blah....

NOW... your turn.

That is not what "Globalization" means.

Originally posted by Bon Mot:

That's for sure. But she clearly doesn't mean "globalization" from the context of her post. Ani seems to be trying to say that for various reasons, she has become more "worldly" or "cosmopolitan".

Ken is right, the context in which I used the word "globalization" in my earlier post is entirely off beat... I was well beyond my bedtime when I made the post.

But when asked what globalization was separate and aside from the earlier post I responded differently. My "site" is not globalization, but it certainly caters to those researching the issues. However, international economics that encourage underdeveloped countries to become a part of the growth by offering incentives for participation in world trade are very much a part of globalization; hence, my brief reply in saying International Economics and an entire world inclusive. A reduction in poverty among all countries . A reduction in the numbers of nations suffering poverty, standardization of technologies around the globe, universal language tools that enable communications without the presence of multiliguists, breaking down the socioeconomic barriers that gain trust among nations and bring about conformity to an overall plan that works for ALL, and etc. These things all play a part in globalization.

Chris always likes to insert little jabs about my site, as he has done right here....

Does Amazon pay you for all the links to their site?
... and of course he will deny any intent of shelling his statement out as a slurring remark... but :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter whether my site makes any money or not as long as "I" am comfortable with hosting it for my own personal reasons. The fact does, however, remain that my site is utilized for reference by colleges, lawyers associations, trade industries, music business professionals, and etc all over the world routinely.

I just ran a quick search by typing links; musicbizbuzz into Google to find how many sites have links back to mine. Try it for yourself....

Here's a link provided to my site as a reference from Cornell University... http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/library/research/QuestionOfTheMonth/archive/musicians.html

I've witnessed Harvard University in my stats, 30 units at a time, more than a time or two. The Royal University of London and others....

There must be something they like there; whether they visit for the legal, trade, music, or whatever links...

I am very fascinated with the world... yeah, Ken, worldly would be an appropriate replacement word for the original post using globalization out of context. That doesn't mean that I am unfamiliar with what the word means though.

I have to get back to work soon, but this is a definition of globalization that I found on a quick Google search. This is the first link from the google search "definition: globalization":

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Globalization is the tendency of businesses, technologies, or philosophies to spread throughout the world, or the process of making this happen. The global economy is sometimes referred to as a globality, characterized as a totally interconnected marketplace, unhampered by time zones or national boundaries. The proliferation of McDonalds restaurants around the world is an example of globalization; the fact that they adapt their menus to suit local tastes is an example of glocalization (also known as internationalization), a combination of globalization and localization.

Whether or not the establishment of the global marketplace will be beneficial is in dispute. Proponents believe that globalization has the potential to create greater opportunities for growth throughout the world, benefiting the developed nations while leveling the playing field everywhere else; opponents of globalization believe that it will merely increase the opportunities for the wealthier nations to take advantage of the poorer ones and, furthermore, could eradicate regional diversity and lead to a homogenized world culture.

Link to web page

Dak,

Women tend to piss and moan about how bad things are but really don't want to change things. They just want to commiserate among friends, let their feelings out and then fell better for awhile with those friends telling them how they understand and feel for them. They just want someone to listen to their woes.

.... The key words are TEND.

;) I tend NOT to be like the average lot of women. I have already been attempting to leave my current facility for the last couple of years by applying for jobs that I find of interest when they become available. I actually merited an interview with the Treasury Dept, and was asked if I would consider another job opening they had coming available as the assistant to the position in which I had applied; they had someone preselected out of Detroit. I could have taken the cut in pay and got CUSH hours and a much cleaner work atmosphere, but I would have had to train "my boss to be" for the position in which was being created to replace the Postal Jobs on location that were being abolished........... the cut in pay did not play as much of a factor as what the bureaucracy did; I have bosses where I'm at that refer all the questions to me as it is now... while they draw the BIG BUCKS. Why in the hell would I want to take a PAY CUT to train somebody else to be my boss when I can stay where I'm at making more money doing the same damn thing? That crap can FLY the other direction as far as I'm concerned. I've been sinking a few job apps here and there, but when I pulled the FedEx link and ran across that Aussie page; the wheels started turning and my head started racing.

isn't globalization the reason the world hates americans? (ducks and runs away)

Dak, my father did something similar about 8 years ago. Quit his corporate job and went into real estate. It seemed to be some sort of benchmark that you really wouldn't make much money until your name had been out for a couple years. He stuck with it and now runs anice little business and he loves the freedom to run your own day!

Keep at and good luck!

Originally posted by blackfish:

isn't globalization the reason the world hates americans? (ducks and runs away)

Dak, my father did something similar about 8 years ago. Quit his corporate job and went into real estate. It seemed to be some sort of benchmark that you really wouldn't make much money until your name had been out for a couple years. He stuck with it and now runs anice little business and he loves the freedom to run your own day!

Keep at and good luck!

Yeah Dak good luck with that. You're a good guy, and you know how to talk to people, you should do well with that. You've got character, ya know. I'd buy a house from you.

Oh, ..... and to bring it down a notch or two in levels of comprehension; I'll point you to my section built specifically on International Trade...

Don't hurt yourself by trying to take in too much all at once.

A fairly haughty response. I'm sorry to have asked. I'll assume you won't be speaking in this fashion to your co-workers.

Did you mean to say that I am stupid? I do see that there are a few different interpretations of globalization. It seems my question is somewhat justified.

Oh, ..... and to bring it down a notch or two in levels of comprehension; I'll point you to my section built specifically on International Trade...

Don't hurt yourself by trying to take in too much all at once.

A fairly haughty response. I'm sorry to have asked. I'll assume you won't be speaking in this fashion to your co-workers.

Did you mean to say that I am stupid? I do see that there are a few different interpretations of globalization. It seems my question is somewhat justified.

Prague,

Perhaps I was returning to you the same attitude you hit me with...

Well, you've managed to insult both Americans and Aussies with extremely ignorant views. I'm sure you will be "equally welcome" in both places.
Did you mean to say that "I" was stupid with this comment earlier? Did you actually read the comments that I had written earlier in the initial posts or were you just jumping on the bandwagon of trolls that began attacking me for asking sincere questions about life abroad?

I have plenty of arrogance (haughtiness) to return in response to ARROGANT (haughty) people that take cheap shots at me; it tends to be the American way and I use it as a survival technique. However, I'm more subdued when I'm around persons that do not feel a need to attack every word I say while attempting to belittle me. I have never said anything negative or derrogatory to you in any way shape or form, but when you open fire on me as a stranger; you can bet I remember who you are and what you said.

Don't play the victim here; you had the smart-assed remark coming.

Ani doesn't like it when people question her. Notice how she responded to mine. :rolleyes:

Ani - I've made very few comments about your site. I clicked your link to see what you were referring to - and the first thing I see on every page is links to stuff via Amazon.com. So I asked a simple, valid question that I would have asked myself if I'd just run across your site myself. If you're not getting compensated, maybe you should look into it.

Not that I'm surprised at your reaction, really. Fits you like a glove.

Don't play the victim here; you had the smart-assed remark coming.

I responded to your stated quest with, "That's cool", meaning an appreciation of your foucus. You seem to have overlooked that and held a grudge.

Keep in mind that combativeness is not a path to global understanding. This forum is a good microcosm of your dealings on the world stage.

I suspect that you and I will not be able to communicate. Be aware that you will get very diverse responses when dealing with the world. You will need to clarify your views as much as you state them. Don't burn bridges.

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

Ani doesn't like it when people question her. Notice how she responded to mine. :rolleyes:

Ani - I've made very few comments about your site. I clicked your link to see what you were referring to - and the first thing I see on every page is links to stuff via Amazon.com. So I asked a simple, valid question that I would have asked myself if I'd just run across your site myself. If you're not getting compensated, maybe you should look into it.

Not that I'm surprised at your reaction, really. Fits you like a glove.

THIS..... coming from a man that thinks Northern Ireland is Australia and that the Aussies will take offense with my reference to an entirely different continent... :rolleyes: is very predictable.

Hey, Ani. That's crazy in so many ways!

You were being offensive. Only a child would think it appropriate, sincerely asking a question like, "Are Australian women passed from man to man or shared between men like I have heard?" or "Do Australians persecute Xians like in Northern Ireland?"

Northern Ireland, an Xian country, does not have a policy of killing Xians.

Ireland is an island not a continent.

I did Google your site. There are many links to it. I actually clicked three or four-

Of those few, one was a spam from you or your staff to your site. I didn't see any mention of staff but I assume you have help maintaining your shipping facilities, etc.

THIS..... coming from a man that thinks Northern Ireland is Australia and that the Aussies will take offense with my reference to an entirely different continent... :rolleyes: is very predictable.

This, Ani, is a great example of how your mind works (or how it doesn't).

Once more for the short-bus folks: I never said Ireland was Australia. I know perfectly well where Ireland is. What I was getting at was that it was insulting for you to refer to religious violence in setting up your question about the religious climate in Australia, especially when the violence you referred to was on a totally different part of the globe. YOU made the idiotic assumption that I was connecting the two.

It appears to me that you get so blinded by the fact that someone actually questions something you say that you can't even read their words & respond rationally.

I responded to your stated quest with, "That's cool", meaning an appreciation of your foucus. You seem to have overlooked that and held a grudge.
If this is "TRULY" the way you intended for your comment to come across, then you have my sincere and humble apologies and I ask for your forgiveness. However, do keep in mind that the statement you made was subject to dubiety; it could have just as easily have been a snide remark made in repudiation.

Being that I have never directly engaged in conversations with you, at least not where I remember any one on one dialogue transpiring between you and I; I consider you to be a stranger. First impressions will generally set the stage until I have come to know a person a bit better.

Chris came in with his remarks...

Wow...you just managed to insult an entire continent. Twice.
Geez, Ani - then do some research about the place before you just come out & ask "Do y'all persecute Christians?" and "Are all the Aussie women sluts?".
and then you trumped in with yours with yours...

Well, you've managed to insult both Americans and Aussies with extremely ignorant views. I'm sure you will be "equally welcome" in both places.
Considering the fact that Chris and I have split the battlefield a few times here on the forums, to where once he starts in, folks seem to appear out of nowhere to join the force... I had no reason to view your "That's cool" remark as anything other than snide, in being introduced to the stage you had already set with a first impression.

Keep in mind that combativeness is not a path to global understanding. This forum is a good microcosm of your dealings on the world stage.
I'm am very keen on using diplomacy where it is needed, but I am HUMAN and I react to actions when engaging in informal and relaxed settings such as these forums.

One thing I've failed to see in this entire thread is where any one of the Aussie men took my questions out of context. If any of them found offense in my serious inquiries about lifestyles in their countries and continent; they have not stepped forward to say... and if they DID take offense, I wish they would tell me so. It only seems to be a handful of American men that chose to make this thread a rant race. The Aussie's have been very respectable and helpful in providing links to my inquiries... and that's what I came here to find. I would like to take the opportunity to thank the Aussies for their pleasant contributions to this thread. :thu: Thanks guys...

If anything, the Aussie men have been VERY impressive in their will to talk about the history of Australia, their assistance in providing links to maps and climate conditions; they have been perfect gentlemen. Whereas the rebuttal has came from a handful of men in America. Perhaps the actions inside of this very thread provide a mirror for the rest of the men in the entire world to witness why it is that a single woman would consider gathering her children and leaving the Land of Opportunity behind to search for new horizons. If I could speak the Swedish language, Sweden would be definitely be a consideration as well.

I did Google your site. There are many links to it. I actually clicked three or four-

Of those few, one was a spam from you or your staff to your site. I didn't see any mention of staff but I assume you have help maintaining your shipping facilities, etc.

LOL.... if you found a link that led back to my site on the search engine; well, that's not considered to be SPAM... That is where my site is positioned in the search engine and those links are to my home page and two additional sites that I own that ACTUALLY EXIST and just happen to provide links to my homepage. Once you get beyond those that are the actual sites themselves; then you will see all of the others that are linked. I actually own both the .net and .com URL addresses so that either command will bring persons into the site. Some of the other few are old, old, ancient links that I set up on freebie hosting companies before I went with a commercial site. I also have a CafePress site that comes up on the demand for musicbizbuzz.

I guess you didn't check out the Cornell University link I provided...

There's no spam there, maybe a lack of experience in reading the results of search engines; but no spam.

Oh yes I did click the link to Cornell University

"A. For general information about musician''s unions online, a good place to start is the MusicBizBuzz site, which contains a list of links to union web pages around the country and internationally. An even more extensive list, including associations in related fields such as broadcasting and production is housed on at Magikflute.com, as well as Livemusicbiz.com. This site also contains helpful resources in areas such as publishing, copyright, and trademark information. The Internet Public Library site also has a large list of links to musician-related sites and associations, including resources for composers, musicologists and music educators."
Hey, here's an idea! Go to that site that has an "even more extensive list" and cut and paste those links on to your site too. :thu:

...Perhaps the actions inside of this very thread provide a mirror for the rest of the men in the entire world to witness why it is that a single woman would consider gathering her children and leaving the Land of Opportunity behind to search for new horizons...

Again, American men all suck.

350 million people (over 10 times that of Australia or Canada, etc) in 6 or more major regions, and we're all the same?

I think you've talked yourself into it. Good luck. :wave:

Originally posted by Keysking:

Umm.. is there anyone on here apart from me, John and Phil that actually dont work another job besides music? (just wondering)

Keysking, sorry if this got buried in the shuffle.

Are you a fulltime didjeridoo repairman? I'm not a pro musician full, part, or anytime but I did sleep at a Best Western last night.

I'm thinking about putting some cool music links in my Sigmund Freud. :thu:

Archived