Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential 80�s New Wave CD�s?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Songs that help the "New Wave" along...

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

Ian Dury - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll/Rhythm Stick

Songs that weren't really new wave but were heavily influenced by it...

Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes

Sunglasses at Night - Canadian 1 hit wonder dude

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Bram Tchaikovsky - "The Girl Of My Dreams" (1979?)

That's one of the best songs Roger McGuinn never wrote. :D
Funny you should mention the 12-String master. I remember an interview with Bram Tchaikovsky where he/they went off about the fact that they did NOT play a 12 string on this song. It was just two 6 stringers being all jangly and stuff. :D

Anyway, it's an absolutely exemplary piece of new wave power pop. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Songs that help the "New Wave" along...

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love that song and I do wish I was in Tijuana eatin' barbecued iguana! Every time I play dominos and someone starts the Mexican train, I start singing that song. It always makes my 5- and 7-year-old sons laugh, but it irritates my sister-in-law to no end (unless she's on my team, of course).

Squeeze,

Surf Punks

Buggles

Roxy Music

Eurytmics

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

SQUEEZE! Good call. The album with Another Nail Through My Heart and Pulling Mussels From a Shell.

I saw Glenn Tilbrook a few weeks ago. He knocked out these 2 gems, "Tempted", and "If I Didn't Love You" all the in the first 30 minutes of his set.

Originally posted by Mudcat:

(I know the song titles but not the name of each album):

Bram Tchaikovsky - "The Girl Of My Dreams" (1979?)

The album is called "Strange Man, Changed Man". By the way, the album sleeve credits Mike Oldfield as playing tubular bells in that song.

I have to add to what has been said:

Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust (1979)

Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing out Sparks (1979)

Flash and the Pan - Flash and the Pan (1979)

Great year, 1979. :)

I'll second the motion on The Stranglers - have any of you guys heard their stuff? Skin Deep is one of the most memorable songs ever written IMO. Same goes for 'Always the Sun'

Originally posted by nursers:

I'll second the motion on The Stranglers - have any of you guys heard their stuff? Skin Deep is one of the most memorable songs ever written IMO. Same goes for 'Always the Sun'

Yep. I actually saw them live here in Madrid, 1977 or 78, when they were on tour with Rattus Norvegicus.

The Strangler's "Hangin' Around" seemed like some of the first really sophisticated punk (X would also strike me that way). And it really summed up my mood in that strange cultural/political/social vaccuum in the mid and late 70's...

I may have helped derail us away from 80's synth pop new wave.

In '77 and '78, the term "new wave" seemed still reserved for outsider music like, say, Television or the Stranglers or Talking Heads, who were not punk rock but were still making subversive, outsider pop that was antithetical to either second wave disco like the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band or the often bloated, glossy rock of the era.

Originally posted by d gauss:

Drums and Wires - XTC

My Aim Is True/This Year's Model - Elvis Costello

Pure Pop For Now People - Nick Lowe

The Knack- 1st

those are 70's records.
Well, in my opinion the 80's really began in the 70's. The 80's ran from '77 to roughly '85.

I like to think the 80's offically ended when Bon Jovi released 'Slippery When Wet'. Seems like everything changed right at that moment. :D

Anyway, if you're gonna have 80's music, you gotta have:

David Bowie -"Low" through "Scary Monsters"

And

Roxy Music -"Siren" through "Avalon"

And

Kraftwerk - "Man Machine" and "Computer World"

Just about EVERYTHING in the 80's is drawn from these albums. :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I like this thread. I know there is a big debate that the 80s is either the best or the worst decade in music ever. I tend to side with the first opinion with one exception. I would say that 1975-1985 would be the best decade in music based on the diversity of genres, sub genres etc. that made their appearance. I am not saying that the other decades don't have their merits or great songs, great musicians or great bands but I think punk rock triggered some sort of renaissance that really revitalized the musical world.

Originally posted by Jokerelli:

I like this thread. I know there is a big debate that the 80s is either the best or the worst decade in music ever. I tend to side with the first opinion with one exception. I would say that 1975-1985 would be the best decade in music based on the diversity of genres, sub genres etc. that made their appearance. I am not saying that the other decades don't have their merits or great songs, great musicians or great bands but I think punk rock triggered some sort of renaissance that really revitalized the musical world.

I always find that whatever decade is getting the "Flashback Weekend" treatment is my least favorite decade.

But after the bouncing ball of culture commodification has bounced on, I usually rediscover the forgotten gems and hidden charms of the decade in question.

Although I wouldn't consider it "new wave," one of the best albums of the 80's, in my opinion, is "Two Wheels Good" by Prefab Sprout. Theproduction (by Thomas Dolby) is killer, as are the songs (the hit "When Love Breaks Down" is on this record, along with a bunc of other great songs).

Jonathan

Originally posted by theblue1:

In '77 and '78, the term "new wave" seemed still reserved for outsider music like, say, Television or the Stranglers or Talking Heads, who were not punk rock but were still making subversive, outsider pop that was antithetical to either second wave disco like the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band or the often bloated, glossy rock of the era.

Right on, Blue, that's what I was thinking when defining the sound ... 3 groups came to mind that I think were fairly early in the sound:

Blondie -- I thought she was considered kinda important new wave influence? I could be wrong ... also she was late 70s, right?

Soft Cell -- Only made a mark with one song, but isn't "Tainted Love" classic new wave? Brings me back to Jr. High ...

Human League -- also seminal synthy new wave (already mentioned)

Among my personal favorites are Missing Persons (yes, Bozzio is a MAD drummer) and David Bowie. Thomas Dolby was pretty forward-thinking ...

Would Howard Jones be considered New Wave, or is that too late and just basically synth-oriented pop? Thompson Twins? Lines blurred ...

Oh, and remember "MM ... Pop music, talk about ..." who was that, weren't they just named "M"?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Super 8:

...Well, in my opinion the 80's really began in the 70's. The 80's ran from '77 to roughly '85.

I like to think the 80's offically ended when Bon Jovi released 'Slippery When Wet'...[/QB]

Yup, Slippery When Wet is a good bookend for the end of the 80s. For me, the 80s started in '77 when Elvis Costello played "Radio, Radio" on Saturday Night Live.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Yes, 1975-1985 would probably be a better definition. To me, the roots of new wave had a bit of mechanical monotony that spurred a feeling of detachment. The Cars and Devo were good at this with tracks like Moving in Stereo. I guess in reality New Wave is quite varied. There is a huge difference between The Cars and Talking Heads. But I like them both. At least their early work. In the late 80s these bands started getting more commercial, and for me, more formulized and less appealing.

This thread does give me a lot to check out. Im comparing the Napster and Rhapsody music services and the titles mentioned in this thread will be a good test.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by BLAblablah:

Sniff & the Tears -- Driver's Seat (70's)

I loved that song and forced my band to play it. :thu:

There was also another one hit wonder around that time that I liked and I think the band name was The Hawks. I have never been able to find it, but I did hear it on a radio station about 10 years ago while traveling.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by 4-Dak Recorder:

"Essential 80's New Wave CD's" is an oxymoron.

I thought so, too. :D

But their is some good nuggets in every genre. Me thinks.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5463/Felix/fx_head2.gif

Felix mentioned Modern English and I'd like to add

that After The Snow is a great album. Very cool songwriting and guitar work. And that's coming from somebody who was thrashing it out around that time. :thu:

[edit] Oh yeah, you've heard the single from the album in a Burger King commercial. :eek::D

Originally posted by The Stranger:

...Felix mentioned Modern English and I'd like to add that After The Snow is a great album. Very cool songwriting and guitar work. And that's coming from somebody who was thrashing it out around that time. :thu:

If you like After The Snow you need to check out their Ricochet Days album. This one is even better, without a hit single (IMHO of course). :thu:

Originally posted by The Stranger:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5463/Felix/fx_head2.gif

My vote for coolest user name/avatar ever. :thu: I may have mentioned this previously, but it never hurts to drop another thumbs up. :D

Thanks Stranger. It's a tribute to one of my favorite cartoons growing up and later a beloved pet.

The Soundtrack to the movie "Valley Girl" (which included "Melt With You) to me kind of defines New Wave. Also most all of the early MTV stuff (without the "Closet Classics") up to the start of the hair-metal era.

When did it start? For me, with Kraftwerk, Devo, Blondie, Gary Numan, Bow Wow Wow, and the like.

When did it end? Not long after the Yamaha DX7 was released.

Stranger and Mudcat:

I am with you on Modern English's After The Snow, I just love the production on there.

But for me, the cream is their earliest 7" material (all later reissued on the Mesh And Lace CD).

On the stereo I play Gathering Dust, 16 Days, Swans On Glass, Mesh And Lace, and Smiles And Laughter as an "EP" of sorts. :)

I love that propulsive yet atmospheric sound. I think the distorted guitar tones on Gathering Dust and Smiles And Laughter are just great...raging, but still has that "combo amp with room tone" sound.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived