Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Famous Horn Sections

Was wondering how many famous horn sections are there like:

The Phoenix Horns - featured on the Phil Collins album " Hello, i must be going "

The Tower Of Power horn section - they've featured on quite a few albums

Any other's come to mind....??

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Shars:

Same as Phil...I was going to say TOP to..

btw, Vinay, any joy on what we were talking about?

Not as yet...still awaiting news from the promoters..will keep u posted

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I'm not sure who did the horns on the Ides Of March's "Vehicle", but that's a classic chart too. :)

I always thought they were a self contained unit like Chicago or BS and T...
You're probably right... I really don't recall off the top of my head.

I just don't know what it is, but horns grate on my ears. If a band has a horn section, I don't listen to em. It's not that I don't appreciate the talent, it just grates on my ears. I think it's part of my genetic makeup or something. Funny thing, but we started all our kids off on one horn or another with their grade school bands, but I sure hated all the grade school and high school concerts I had to go to. I never thought of ear plugs. That might have been the answer.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Probably the most prolific horn section is the "Jerry Hey" section. At least that's how I think of them. The core is Jerry Hey, a first call trumpeter/arranger, and trombonist Bill Reichenbach. On album credits, I usually see Larry Williams on sax and sometimes Gary Grant on trumpet.

If you look up album credits for Jerry Hey/Bill Reichenbach, it's absolutely scary. If there is an album with horns recorded in LA in the last 35 years, they're likely to be on it. Brucie the Viking has probably done 100 sessions with these guys.

I'm right with you Mark. When I saw Seawind at their reunion concert in LA last month Bill joined them....although Jerry didn't show up.

I also enjoy Harry Kim (trumpet) with Hey and Bill. Phil Collins horn guys. I believe Kim has a group of him own called The Vine Street Horns.

Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

Heart Attack Horns! Jack Mack and the Heat Attack from LA in the 80's had a great thing. The horns did a lot of separate session work... including something for the group I was in at the time. They smoked.

If I remember correctly, Lee Thornburg was one of the trumpet guys. What an awesome player! (sang pretty dang good too) He kind of became the trumpet player du jour in the 80's. I remember him playing the solo on Tom Petty's remake of "So You Want To Be a Rock and Roll Star". I only saw the Heart Attack a couple of times on TV but aside from playing great those guys always were doing some kind of cool choreography as well...

Miami Sound Machine horn section----------

Although I recall the keys player of MSM doing lots of synth horn splats and various synth horn lines, the MSM horn section (3-piece I believe, if not 4) is first-class anr TREMENDOUS in its own right.

"You're either WITH me, or you're AGIN' Me!" (Yosemite Sam)

Originally posted by Slowly (AKA Kcba:

Originally posted by Quarryking:

Earth Wind & Fire also have one funky horn section.

They are the Phoenix Horns listed above. Kcbass
That's what I was thinking. If you were impressed with their work with Phil, pick up EW&F's All in All :thu:

James Brown's horns weren't too shabby either!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Geez, then I forget some of my favorites: don't know if Maynard Fergusen is still touring (probably not) but he always handpicked the best kids coming out of college, just burned.

Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass.

The four screaming trumpets of Chase! Not something you could listen to too long without getting a headache, but very impressive.

And I'm listening to Matt Bianco, Basia's old (and once again current) band's new CD, some very tasty horn work there, although they probably don't count as a "section".

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I've heard few things as painful as the headphone volume the uptown horns wanted when I had them in here. I could hear it through two doors!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing those guys can still hear, nevermind play. They are guns for hire for a local band with megabucks i mix FOH for Duke and the Drivers.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived