Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

And you thought "audiophile cables" and running magic markers around CDs was bad...

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=

My alert (and very hip) cousin Peter Montgomery alerted me to the above. Now, he's a clever enough guy that this could be some sort of elaborate practical joke, but I don't think so. It genuinely appears that these people are selling a $485 (that's US dollars, folks!) KNOB that's supposed to improve your sound (apparently it's the special lacquer they use).

Boy, I sure would like to get the mailing list for customers who bought the thing! I happen to know FOR A FACT that coating speaker wire with cat gack that ONLY MY CAT can produce "smooths" the sound, by adding an acidic component to insulation that causes the electrons within the wire to move much faster. Unfortunately, due to the limited quantity of cat gack I have available, I am regrettably FORCED to charge $565/per ounce.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I KNEW I was in the wrong business. :rolleyes:

Dieter Ennemoser Google search

Dieter Ennemoser is the guy who spec'ed the C37 laquer for its sonic properties:

The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this!

:rolleyes:

I've got some special doggie-poo that really does great things for the molecular structure of the elastic medium that sound propagates in, making a significant improvement in the rarefraction and compression of said elastic medium. Unfortunately, due to huge demand from the audiophile community and the fact that I only have three of these magic poo producers, I have to sell it for $300 for a 20 lb bag. The good news is that the typical home theater will only need four bags for full coverage. ;)

Originally posted by John Sayers:

no Phil - just say less :D

cheers

john

Well John, I was going to answer you with a four word answer, but I couldn't bring myself to do it... IOW...

It's not my nature. ;)

Besides, aren't you interested in some magic poo? What do you MEAN you can't hear a difference? Obviously you don't have finely honed hearing and discriminating tastes. :rolleyes:;)

Gee...I work for the federal government. I'd bet I could get 'em to buy a whole bunch of those knobs. :D

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/jackson/5pts/barnum.jpeg

"There's a sucker born every minute"

- P.T. Barnum

Perhaps this "Dieter" guy is the "Magic Alex" of the 2000s...

http://wendyknits.net/images/dieter1.jpg

"Would you like to touch my monkey?"

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Let's see,replace my guitar and mixing board knobs with these super deluxe jobs so everything "sounds better",then during the mix,use a bunch of free experimental VST plugs that are designed to #uck up the sound.Am I on the right track to success? What kind of clothes should I buy?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

These guys crack me up. They always take the Hear No Evil stance when I explain to audiophiles that the audio source they're listening to was probably recorded through pieced together wires (none of them oxygen free), a bunch of adapters from Radio Shack, thousands of non-gold-tipped connections, and mixed through $300 Yamaha NS-10 monitors.

$50 to anyone who can successfully explian this to an audiophile and a $150 bonus if you can make them cry.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I have some "rare air" to put into your subwoofer box. You have to hear it to believe it. The only drawback is you have to ship me your woofers for installation, and it works better with classical. With Rap and Rock the increase in sound quality is marginal. Kcbass :D

"Let It Be!"

"The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation."

Sounds like vibrations got into his delicate synapse signal path.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well, a $500 knob it the perfect mtach for a $6,820 Potentiometer .

I already ordered mine and asked for one extra as Mr. Anderton's Xmas present :)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Tedster, that was priceless!! :thu: (But I'm sure I owe you $672 of laughing at your C37 doused joke. :eek: )

I don't doubt there is a key to laquers used in violin and other acoustic instrument construction, but I believe too much emphasis is placed there and $485 knobs will no effect on the signal path. :rolleyes: They will have an effect on the sound in the room, but I challenge anyone to measure that difference, let alone hear it.

Now if Dieter can lower the price of C37 a bit, I might consider a listening room in which all hard surfaces were made of tone woods covered in C37 laquer. If I was a multi-millionaire, of course.

And I'll gladly have the guts of my stereo removed and reinstalled in a wood cabinet, with wood knobs drenched in C37, too.

Call me when they announce my name as a Powerball Jackpot winner and I have money to burn. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Hendmik:

These guys crack me up. They always take the Hear No Evil stance when I explain to audiophiles that the audio source they're listening to was probably recorded through pieced together wires (none of them oxygen free), a bunch of adapters from Radio Shack, thousands of non-gold-tipped connections, and mixed through $300 Yamaha NS-10 monitors.

ROFL!!! :D:thu:

I've heard from reliable sources that the perspiration from the genitalia of Burmese bengal tigers, when applied in a thin coat to the pickup cavity of any electric guitar, provides the UTLTIMATE TONE and is clearly audible to anyone. It does this by absorbing stray electrons and aligning the quarks inherent in the magnetic fields of pickups. Remarkable.

Of course, COLLECTING this stuff is somewhat tricky. :D:D:eek:

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Of course, these audio mods are worthless without a top of the line power cord . I was hoping that price was a typo, but I think that they are really charging $3499.00 for a 6.5 foot POWER CORD!

I call shenanigans!

How many recording engineers use the $1.00 power cord that came with the equipment they record the music through?

(counting hands)

0096 2251 2110 8105

Depending on how much I have to drink on the 31rst, I'm selling futures on my own personal gack. Since you guys are like extended family, I've decided to give you first dibs. Haven't quite worked out the pricing, but it will be a little more if you don't want the carrots & corn.

First come, first served.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

You think exotic woods are getting rare and expensive for guitar bodies? Well Dieter's friends charge an extra $960 for Mahogany for a little (12" X 5.25" X 10") wood box to house the two pots... if you want to settle for less, oak is no extra charge, but black stained oak is going to cost an extra $400.

Yup, I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong business.

Originally posted by DanS:

Depending on how much I have to drink on the 31rst, I'm selling futures on my own personal gack. Since you guys are like extended family, I've decided to give you first dibs. Haven't quite worked out the pricing, but it will be a little more if you don't want the carrots & corn.

First come, first served.

Ya drinkin' single malt? Then I'm in.

I can't recall ever having ringing in my ears after a night of the good stuff.

Whatever you're having, I expect your throat to sound more "open and fluid" the next day.

:P

It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

And you would think they would at least design the stuff so it looks expensive. But they used cheap plastic straps to secure these parts in a case:

Cheapskates

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived