Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicplayer Recipe Book

Roasted Vegtables.

You'll need the following:

1 large Aubagine (Eggplant)

3 courgettes

1 green, 1 red and 1 Yellow pepper

1 large Red onion

Pack of large mushrooms

4 large tomatoes

Fresh Basil

Black Pepper

3 teaspoons Paprika

Little salt

Olive Oil

Prepare all the vegtables by washing, slicing long ways and deseeding and place in a large oven proof dish

put on the pepper, paprika,salt and mix till everything is covered in the the seasoning.

Add Olive Oil on and mix and coat again till everything is covered.

Cover with aluminium foil and place in a hot oven of 180 electric or gas mark 6 for 20 mins.

Check and stir around and cover and cook for another 10 mins.

Uncover and let it cook in the oven for a little longer till the veg has browned a little.

Added basil at the last minute.

Serve with a salad with warm crusty bread or as a side dish with Quiche and you can also use it as a base for Ratatouie by adding a can of chopped tomatoes and more paprika and cooking a little more in the oven...delious!

Also delious as a pizza topping or with Rice...the list is endless for this dish.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used honey in potato salad, baked beans, honey glazed carrots, chicken, and chili...it's a good sweetener. It's also a good dipping sauce, for chicken nuggets or coconut shrimp, as is orange marmalade and horseradish mixed together.

I also have used a recipe for Honey baked ham that uses no honey, but regular sugar and spices, and the ham is rolled in the mixture and a blow torch, yes a blow torch, is used to melt the sugar and spices into the ham, to give it a nice glaze.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Okay, I bought a used Breadman Plus bread machine, today at the thrift store...I found a few of them, various models and prices and condition....and this one looked and worked the best for $22.00, used a little, but still in very good condition.

Here's one very similar to the one I bought ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20669&item=4334176394&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Living' in the shadow,

Okay I just sampled my first experimental loaf.... I used a simple French Bread recipe of just 3-cups flour, a little water, salt, and yeast, and it came out really good. Fresh French Bread. The machine took a couple of hours to make it, but requires very little effort, and easy to clean...I like it !!!! :)

It did a great job mixing and kneading the dough, no muss, no fuss, no mess, very easy.....I think it'll work great on pizza dough as well....

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by Super 8:

Kitty Litter Cake

(Warning: Do not eat if pregnant)

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix

1 white cake mix

2 large pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared (I like Bird's® dessert mix)

1 large pkg vanilla sandwich cookies

green food coloring

12 small Tootsie Rolls®

1 kitty litter pan

1 plastic kitty litter pan liner

1 pooper scooper

(If you already have a cat you won't need to buy these.)

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/cakeimg/kittylitter.jpg

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

I can't tell if you just came up with potential ingredients for such a cake and put it with a picture of a litter box or if this is for real. :confused:

Well, that's part of the surprise, Neil.

Like the General said in Apocalypse Now; "I don't know how you feel about this, but if you'll eat it you'll never have to prove your bravery in any other way..." ;)

If it is a real cake, where are the instructions? A co-worker of mine (Sick mind.. nothing at all like me. ;) ) wants to make one.
Oh, certainly!

Well....ummm...tell your "co-worker" to gather the ingredients, and if he follows my simple step-by-step intructions listed below, he can't go wrong... I guarantee! :thu:

Prepare the cake mixes according to the package directions, using any size or shape of pan, and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Now you wanna prepare your pudding mix according to the package directions and stick it in the fidge until you're ready to assemble the cake.

Crush up the sandwich cookies in small batches into a food processor. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup.

To the 1/4 cup of cookie crumbs, add a few drops of green food coloring, perhaps a drop of blue and mix until completely and thoroughly colored. I'll explain more about this later. But for now, just do it and set them aside.

Okay now when your cake is cooled to room temperature, crumble it up into a large bowl -yes, I said crumble it up-, and add 1/2 of the uncolored cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. IMPORTANT: mix in just enough pudding to moisten and hold the mixture together! Don't fuck this up! If you add too much pudding your cake will be soggy. Gently fold it to combine them.

Spoon the cake/pudding/cookie combo into your litter box and smooth the top.

Now for the effect:

Heat three Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until soft and gooey. Shape the ends so they're no longer blunt, but rounded and slightly curved until they look like cat excrement. Repeat the process with three more Tootsie Rolls . Stick your six Tootsie Rolls in the cake/pudding/cookie mix.

Now we sprinkle the remaining uncolored cookie crumbs over the top of the cake/pudding/cookie mixture. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top - the idea is to make it resemble the colored chlorophyll / deodorizer particles found in Fresh Step, and other hi-quality litter.

Now heat up five or six more Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted, then scrape them onto the top of the cake and drag through and/or sprinkle with some of the cookie crumbs.

You know....make it LOOK real.

Okay, you're pretty much done. Place a sheet of newspaper on your serving table, place the kitty litter box in the center and sprinkle with some of the cookie crumbs on the newspaper. Place the kitty litter scoop on or next to the little box, and you've got a nice little effect.

Right about now, Dundits is probably wondering if he should eat or shit. And that's what we're going for. Disgust the humans, and confuse the cats. If you can accomplish that, then you've made it right.

I recommend a good cheap wine with this. Something savory, not too sweet.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

A food combination suggestion moreso than a recipe:

toasted cheese and vegemite sandwich - if you can get access to vegemite it's worth a try - just had exactly this suggestion for lunch today. :thu:

Originally posted by nursers:

A food combination suggestion moreso than a recipe:

toasted cheese and vegemite sandwich - if you can get access to vegemite it's worth a try - just had exactly this suggestion for lunch today. :thu:

What? Did you watch an old episode of I Love Lucy?

Vitameatavegamin...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Well I'm having very good luck with the bread machine so far, 2 loaves of French Bread and 1 loaf of Irish Brown Bread with Raisins.....It does a great job of mixing and kneading the dough, and is fairly simple to use...so far I really like it alot. Thanks for recommending it !!!

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by djwayne:

Well I'm having very good luck with the bread machine so far, 2 loaves of French Bread and 1 loaf of Irish Brown Bread with Raisins.....It does a great job of mixing and kneading the dough, and is fairly simple to use...so far I really like it alot. Thanks for recommending it !!!

:thu: Glad to hear you like it! Try it with the Pizza dough.

I make pizza dough in big batches (several kneading-cycles, since the machine can only hold so much), make several pizza-crusts, and freeze them. And then, anytime you want you'll have instant pizza.

Ever try pizza with thin slices of plum tomato instead of tomato sauce?

Put a thin cover of olive oil on the pizza shell.

cover with thinly sliced plum tomatos. (DON"T use regular tomatos - way too moist - trust me)

Salt lightly. I also sprinkle some garlic powder on there (use real crushed garlic if you like - but I'm a chef, I'm lazy :D )

Put mozzaraella cheese on there.

On top of the cheese, put some thinly sliced (keyword is thinly) mushrooms and FRESH chiffonade

of baby spinach (chiffonade is just a fancy word for semi-bluntly chopped)

Add sliced olives of either color if you like.

Sprinkle with parsley (dried parlsley is fine - like I said, I'm lazy)

You can season with basil, oregano, etc. if you like, but I think it takes away from the flavour of the baby spinach and the mushrooms, while the parsley seems to complement it.

Voila, instant vegetarian pizza that kicks some ass without meat. Great for Fridays if you're catholic :D

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Botch, I thought of using honey in potato salad only because of the use of mustard, to give it a sort of "dijon" flair!

We don't cook fancy 'round here, so as good as some of these recipes sound, I'll probably never get around to trying them. My wife makes several Mexican dishes, but they're so rote to her, a recipe isn't possible to pass on. I also have my grandmother's recipe for perogi (please note: it is PEROGI, not PEROGIES. No matter the ammount. You could have one perogi, or seven perogi.), but haven't mustered the guts to try it out.

Most of the "flamboyance" in our cooking comes from little additions or variances, such as mixing the meat from "fresh" keilbasa with ground beef for meatloaf, and adding worsteshire. Or making vegetable dip from one package of cream cheese, one can of cream of mushroom soup and garlic powder to taste. Or adding some ground rosemary to the beaten eggs for scrambled eggs before cooking. Stuff like that. Not too much extra trouble, but often enough difference to jump the rut. For instance, I make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. All I really do is basically follow the recipe on the can of pumpkin. Only I add 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and use 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup light brown sugar instead of the white sugar they instruct. Putting your own "stamp" on the otherwise mundane takes only a few seconds of thought.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey check this out. I just watched the movie by Robert Rodriquez Once Upon A Time In Mexico, which is yaaaa BUT, Robert IS a really cool guy, and had a Featurette at the end of the movie called 10 Minute Cooking School where he gives the recipe for a Mexican dish that one of the characters in the movie ate, all through the movie. It's called Puerco Pibil and this sounds so great!!!!!!. You need an extra coffe grinder to grind the spices. Check out the movie for more explicit instructions.

I might try it this weekend but if you've already cooked it, tell me about it, here's the recipe.

----------------------------------------------

Puerco Pibil

How could you watch the special features of Robert Rodriguez's Once Upon a Time in Mexico without wanting to make the Puerco Pibil? Be warned because I had left my coffee grinder at work, I tried every other way I could think of to grind those annato seeds. The blender, the food processor, the mini-blender, the meat mallet, all failed. The ONLY thing that works is a coffee grinder. Unless you like having red smears on your face, in your hair, and all over the kitchen, don't try this unless you have one.

Recipe from Robert Rodriguez.

Ingredients:

5 Tbs. annato seeds

2 Tbs. salt

1 Tbs. peppercorns

8 whole allspice

2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. whole cloves

8 garlic cloves, minced

2 habañeros (deveined, seeds removed)

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup white vinegar

juice of 5 lemons

splash of tequila

5 lb. pork butt, cut into 2" cubes

1 lb. banana leaves

Prep. time: 15 minutes

Marinate time: overnight

Cook time: 4 hours

Yield: 8 servings

Combine all whole spices in a coffee grinder or spice mill. Grind them well, to a fine powder.

In a blender or food processor, combine spice powder, garlic, habañeros, orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice, and tequila.

Place the pork in a large ziplock bag and add the marinade; shake well. Marinate for 12 to 24 hours, shaking 2 or 3 times.

Preheat oven to 325º. Line a baking pan with the banana leaves you will wrap the pork in them, so be sure to overlap them well and leave enough so the edges will overlap, making a tight "package." Dump the pork and marinade into the pan; wrap with banana leaves. Put more leaves on the top. Cover the whole thing with tinfoil and seal the edges so no steam escapes.

Bake for 4 hours or until pork is tender and falling apart.

Serve over a bed of white or Mexican rice. Garnish with a tomato wedge and a fresh jalapeño or serrano pepper.

I just went and bought the spices I didn't have to make The Pibil. This is very easy. I substituted a few things, used lime instead of lemon juice, and apple cider vinergar for white vingegar, and I used one dried habanero, instead of the fresh, but I think it'll still be good. No banana leaves either, but I don't think that's essential. It's really just marinaded pork.

I couldn't get the food processor to work so I used the hand held whatchmacallit. I just put everything in a tall glass and whipped it up. I'm going to let the pork marinade till this time tomorrow, and then I'll stick it in the oven for four hours. SWEET! Damn it, forgot to buy rice.

Hey I've got a half pint of tequila left, wonder what I should do with that?

Here's simple idea for a party mix, I got from the Jesse Cook concert last week. They used a Cajun Corn Sticks mixed with small pretzels and nuts and put into small sandwich bags and sold for $1.00 each....

It sounds simple, but man is it adicting....Planters Peanuts makes a similar mix called "Flamin' Cajun", without the pretzels...now the question is, how do I make Cajun Corn Sticks ????

Living' in the shadow,

I made my own batch up with a cajon seasoning added. I used Nabisco's new "Mixers, Traditional", party mix with Ritz crackers, Cheese nips, Shreddies, Mister Salty pretzels,and a bag of Planter's Trail Mix, Honey Nut & Carmel mix, then sprinkled some Luzianne Cajun Seasoning with Lemon, and I have an almost perfect if not better, party mix, then what I was looking for.

The combination of snacks, gives a sweet, salty, spicy hot and crunchy flavor all at once !!

The Cajon seasoning really gives it a little kick to it all. Good stuff !!

Living' in the shadow,

Pasta Machine Part II

Okay, at the thrift store, I found a bag of dies for the pasta machine, which also had the original owners manual and training video. I also bought a pasta machine cookbook, all which had similar recipes and tips on how to use the machine. Results ??

I made a really nice batch of egg pasta, which tasted great with spaghetti sauce. The fresh pasta does indeed taste better than the boxed stuff. I have a bunch left over, which I froze for later use.

So now the machine is working great for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Living' in the shadow,

Yeah you're right, on a Google search for meat thermometer, it says for turkey, place in the thickest part of the thigh, because dark meat takes longer to cook.

I didn't know that. I've gotten those turkeys with the built in pop up thermometer, and it's always in the breast, but it does say use the thigh everywhere I've read.

One of quick and easy standards for my family growing up, and now one of my kids absolute favorites:

Ingredients:

1 pkg Rice a Roni (Rice Pilaf flavor)

1 Polka Kielbasa

Prepare the Rice a Roni according to directions. Just after you mix in the water and seasoning packet, lay the Polka Kielbasa in the pan and then cover. When the Rice a Roni is done, it's all done.

We usually have it with broccoli as the side vegetable.

Lee's Easy Cheesy Chicken

Wrap a piece of Blue Cheese (about the size of your little finger) with a slice of proscuttio ham.

Slit a chicken breast and insert blue cheesy ham.

Toothpick it closed.

Grill.

Baste with a mixture of lemon juice and whorcheshire sauce.

Oh... man.

It's a great day for some Beef, Barley, Vegetable Soup.

So I diced up half a roast, pressure cooked it, then browned it. Diced up two carrots, a large potato, an onion, some celery and mushrooms. Cooked the veggies for a little while, then blended them with the beef in the crockpot. Deglazed the pan with a little cooking sherry and added that to the crockpot. Boiled up half a bag of barley, and added that to the crockpot with a little water and a couple of tablespoons of beef bullion, some salt and pepper, .....came out excellent !!

A full crockpot of Homemade Beef, Barley, Vegetable soup. ahhhhhh....!!

Living' in the shadow,

Soup :)

I get a pound (500g) of bacon bones cover with water and simmer for 3 - 4 hours.

Remove the bones and let cool.

Add a packet of split peas and some chopped mint to the bacon water and simmer until cooked.

Remove all the meat from the bacon bones (it will fall off) and dice - return meat to the peas, season and stir - pea and ham soup. ;)

cheers

john

Hmmm, I think we have a cultural mismatch here... bacon bones?? I'm assuming what you're describing is what we call "ham" here in the U.S. (smoked pork from the shoulder, rump or rear leg). What we call bacon is from the sides, extremely fatty (40-70%), smoked, and sliced thin for frying, but absolutely no bones in it. That's interesting.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived