Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicplayer Recipe Book

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK gang. Here's something that's so simple it's ridiculous.

Grab a nice smoked 1/2 ham, pre cooked will do though the cooking time will vary, 7 lbs or so.

Stick a meat thermometer into the ham, not touching the bone.

Jack Daniels Old #7 Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey.

1) Meat thermometer.

Take a quantity of Jack Daniels, room temp, a 1/4 to 1/2 cup will do, and put it into a small mixing bowl. Mix in brown sugar until you reach saturation and no more of the sugar will desolve.

I use a gas fired grill with two cooking areas. Preheat both areas. You'll only use one side as a convection oven and the other side will do a nice sear job on the face and is where you will place the ham. You can use a charcoal grill too but you'll have to adjust. That won't be difficult if you're really a griller.

Once the grill is preheated to roughly 325 degrees, use a thermometer or a good guess, place the ham, sliced side down on one side of the grill. Turn that side off and close the lid. If you're using a charcoal grill, you can place the ham on one side as is for now.

Let the thing cook for about 10 minutes and swap ends. Charcoalers, pull it off and set aside until you have moved the coals from that side to one side.

Close the lid again for another 10 minutes or so.

Now, take the JD & brown sugar mix out there. Open the grill and bast the ham with the JD mixture, covering well. Close up and cook for about a half an hour.

Open up, swap ends and bast the ham again and close up.

After another 30 minutes open up and lay the ham on it's side. Baste the cut surface with the JD mixture and close up.

Cook that for 1/2 hour and open up, rotate the cut side down again and swap ends. Baste again. You might be out of baste with this shot, if not, no sweat. Close up and cook for 30 minutes.

Continue the swap roughly every thirty minutes, even after the baste is gone, until the meat thermometer reads between 155 and 160 degrees F.

Pull that sucker off the grill and onto a nice carving dish. Let it set for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.

Cut that dude up and enjoy one of the best hams you'll ever have.

Try Sweet Potato Biscuits with it. If sweet potatoes aren't available, substitute Yams.

[edited for spelling] Might still have some there but at least ham is spelled without an e on the end. and there is an e on the end of baste.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by TheWewus:

]Anyone here ever make a ristra?

Haven't ever made one, but I buy a 5-footer every fall, and it's usually gone by spring. If you're going to cook your ristra make sure to buy it at a farmer's market, NOT a souvenir shop, where they're often sprayed with lacquer (this gets caught in your teeth and is quite unpleasant). OK, here we go:

BBQ Sauce for Beef Brisket or Ribs

I've been experimenting with BBQ sauces for 14 years, this is finally IT. Slightly modified from a Cook's Illustrated recipe.

2 Tblspns Butter

1/4-cup minced onion

1 clove garlic, smashed

1.5 tsp ground red chile

2 cups tomato juice

1/2 cup white vinegar

2 Tblspns Worcestershire

1/2 tsp powdered mustard dissolved in 1 Tblspn water

1/2 minced chipotle pepper

2 Tblspns dark molasses

1.5 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Melt butter, saute onions until soft, add garlic until fragrant, then add the remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. The original recipe calls for adding an additional 1/4 cup vinegar at the end; but I omit this. This sauce is perfect for BBQ'd beef; it's not quite right for pork or chicken (something to do next summer!). This is the sauce I brought to Phil's shindig this summer for the brisket (Sorry, the brisket rub is still secret until I win a "Best of Show", dammit! ;) ).

Best Potato Salad (another dish I've been experimenting with for years, this one is it)

2 lbs russets, peeled and cubed 3/4"

2 Tblspns white vinegar

1 Tblspns salt

1 celery rib, minced

2 Tblspns minced red onion

3 Tblspns pickle relish

1/2 cup mayo

3/4 tsp powdered mustard

3/4 tsp celery seed

2 Tblspns minced parsley]

1/4 tsp pepper

Boil potatos in water eight minutes or until soft but not falling apart. Drain and sprinkle with the vinegar, let cool 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients and let set. When potatoes are cool, fold gently with the mayo mixture, and chill. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Crazy Anna Petricks Kolaches (poppy seed rolls);

1½ cups warm milk

¾ cup warm water

¼ cup shortening

7 tablespoons sugar

3 egg yolks

2tablespoons yeast

5 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup butter

1 to 2 cans Solo Poppy Seed Filling

Heat milk, water and shortening in a saucepan until shortening is melted. Cool until slightly warm. Add sugar, egg yolks and yeast stirring well. Place in a large bowl. Add salt, two cups flour and stir well. Work in rest of flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Place on a lightly dusted board.

Let rest 5-10 minutes before kneading. Then knead well, until smooth and satiny (about 10 minutes). Work on a lightly floured surface. Shape dough in a ball and place in lightly greased bowl.

Cover & let rise in a warm place until about doubled in size (about 1 ½ hours). Punch down and let rise again. Roll out dough to one-inch thickness. Cut into three-inch squares and drop ¾ teaspoon Poppy Seed filling into the middle of each. Fold, and place in greased pan or muffin tin. Brush with butter & let rise (about 45 minutes).

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Brush tops while still warm with ¼ cup powdered sugar and ¼ cup whipping cream. This makes a snazzy glaze when dry. Cool on rack.

Eat em up!

Its a lot of work to make these, but they are VERY good! I once ate a dozen in one sitting (I dont advice this..Although my grandmother thought it was pretty entertaining).

I want to try everything posted so far, great recipes you guys.

Here's a quick tip about the chicken or turkey sandwiches. I really wasn't kidding with that recipe Robert. Some guys have NEVER cooked for themselves at all, so I will start with some very basic stuff.

For the chicken/turkey sandwich you slather on the mustard and mayonnaise, don't be shy, then add thinly sliced turkey or chicken, and THEN, here's what makes it great, add a lot of sweet pickles, enough to cover the meat, whatever kind of sweet pickles you've got on hand, diced, sliced, whatever. They sell something in NC called Bread and Butter pickles, which are great.

I really prefer dill pickles on most things, but THIS is the best sandwich. A chicken/turkey sandwich topped with a lot of sweet pickles.

Recipe for nice dinner alone or with company:

Rub against human leg.

Pace in front of dish.

Rub against human leg again.

Look up, wide eyed.

Pace in front of dish again.

Wag tail impatiently.

Meow, to taste.

Stand back from dish (but not too far back)

Dish is filled with food.

Eat food

Drink water.

Clean face.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Gazpacho

1.5 lb beefsteak tomato, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 cucumber, peeled halfway, seeded, diced

2 shallots, minced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsps salt

1 tsp pepper

1/3 cup sherry vinegar

dash Tabasco

2 Tblspns minced fresh parsley

5 cups tomato juice

Mix everything together, add 8 ice cubes, chill until very cold. Serve with a splash of olive oil. If it weren't for barbeque I could be a vegetarian all summer on this stuff. Make it now, fresh tomatoes are just about gone for this year... :(

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Artichoke Frittata

6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, cut in half

4 oz minced onion

1 minced garlic clove

3 large eggs

1/8 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs

dash hot sauce

salt, pepper to taste

pinch oregano

1 cup shredded cheddar

1/8 cup shredded parmesan

Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of butter in an ovenproof skillet. Whisk everything else except the parmesan together, mix with onion mixture, return to skillet and top with the parmesan, into a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Invert on a cutting board and slice like a pizza; second-best breakfast you'll ever have.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Green Chile Cheese Rollups

16 oz cream cheese, room temperature

6 oz shredded cheddar cheese

1 small can diced jalapenos OR 5 green New Mexico chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced

1 small can diced black olives

1 pkg flour tortillas

Mix first four items together, then spread on flour tortillas and roll into cylinders (heat the tortillas in a microwave to prevent cracking while rolling, if necessary). Chill, then slice into 1" pieces, serve as appetizer/party snack.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Armenian Steak Marinade

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup tomato juice

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup parsley

1 tsp salt

1 tsp marjoram

1 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp pepper

1 clove garlic, crushed

Puree everything in a blender until smooth, marinate 3-4 lbs steak of your choice overnight. Remove and brush off excess marinade, grill, let rest 5 minutes, slice on a bias, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Superb.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Georgia Cracker Pie

(my girlfriend's recipe)

PIe:

3 egg whites

1.5 tsp baking powder

1 cup sugar

17 Ritz crackers, crushed

1 cup chopped pecans

1 tsp vanilla

Topping:

1/4 pnt heavy cream

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

grated chocolate

Beat whites and powder until stiff, slowly add sugar, everything else, pour into 9" buttered pie tin and bake @ 325 for 35 minutes. Let cool a bit, spread with topping & shaved chocolate.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Skyline Chili

3 lb ground chuck

2 Tblspn oil

1 cup minced onion

2 10-oz cans beef broth

2 tsp cumin

1.5 tsp allspice

1.5 tsp onion salt

1 tsp garlic salt

1 tsp pepper

2 Tblspn ground red chile

1/8 tsp cayenne

1/2 cup dark molasses

1 tsp paprika

1 small can tomato paste

1 Tblspn instant coffee

Brown beef and onion in oil, blend half this mixture and return to pot. Add everything else and simmer two hours.

I have four different recipes for "Cincinnati-style" chili, and this is the best. Cincinnati chili is served over cooked spaghetti in the following manner:

2-Way: Spaghetti, chili.

3-way: add mild cheddar cheese

4-way: add beans

5-way: add minced raw onion

Skyliner: make a childog with soft white hotdog buns and the cheepest hot dogs you can find; top with chili, onions and cheese.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

I can't eat all this by myself.

Really Simple Tuna Fish Sandwich

1 12 0z. can solid white albacore tuna the most important ingredient. You can substitute cheaper cuts, but it's just not the same.

2 or 3 stalks of celery diced to your pleasure

2 big glops of mayonnaise

mix the three ingredients together, and put on the bread of your choice. It doesn't suck.

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

Sausage & Chicken Gumbo

(This is a low saturated fat recipe)

/* This recipe is also good with quail and pheasant instead of chicken.

*/

Ingredients ...

1 whole boned and skinned chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into serving pieces

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil

1 1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped bell peppers

Salt

Cayenne pepper

3 bay leaves

1 Tablespoon of Gumbo filé

... and whatever additional spices you prefer.

1 pound smoked andouille sausage cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices

(You can get andouille chicken sausage at Trader Joe's)

6 cups dark chicken or other stock (You can use cubes for the chicken stock then add a couple splashes of Lea & Perrin's to darken instead)

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onions

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large cast-iron or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, over medium heat. Season the chicken with Essence. Dust the chicken with 1/4 cup of the flour. Sear the chicken until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.

Combine the remaining oil and remaining flour and stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the stock. Stir until the roux mixture and stock are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Add the chicken. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley and green onions. Add the filé here (Powdered sassafras leaves used to thicken and season soups, stews, and gumbos).

Remove the bay leaves and serve on a large plate over a mound of cooked brown rice surrounded by stir fried Granny Smith apple slices.

Did this one tonight.

:thu: We didn't ring it with the stir fried apples though.

Wewus, why is it that most of what you're tossing up here is sandwiches???

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Pizza dough recipe from Wolfgang Puck, that I use for my homemade pizza...I also divide the pizza into four sections using pizza dough bread sticks, and put different toppings in each one for variety...but I like to load the pizza up with green peppers, onion, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, lot's of mozzarella cheese....spices- a little crushed red pepper, crushed garlic, marjoram, basil....

1 package active dry or fresh yeast

1 teaspoon honey

1 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing

Toppings of your choice

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4-cup warm water.

In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, the yeast mixture, and the remaining 3/4 cup of water and mix on low speed until the dough comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl and clusters around the dough hook, about 5 minutes. (The pizza dough can also be made in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse once or twice, add the remaining ingredients, and process until the dough begins to form a ball.)

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead by hand 2 or 3 minutes longer. The dough should be smooth and firm. Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot for about 30 minutes. (When ready, the dough will stretch as it is lightly pulled).

Divide the dough into 4 balls, about 6 ounces each. Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Then on a smooth, unfloured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the top of the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest 15 to 20 minutes. At this point, the balls can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Place a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

To prepare each pizza, dip the ball of dough into flour, shake off the excess flour, place the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface, and start to stretch the dough. Press down on the center, spreading the dough into an 8-inch circle, with the outer border a little thicker than the inner circle. If you find this difficult to do, use a small rolling pin to roll out the dough. Lightly brush the inner circle of the dough with oil and arrange the topping of your choice over the inner circle.

Using a lightly floured baker's peel or a rimless flat baking tray, slide the pizza onto the baking stone and bake until the pizza crust is nicely browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remember that the oven is very hot and be careful as you place the pizza into and out of the oven. Transfer the pizza to a firm surface and cut into slices with a pizza cutter or very sharp knife. Serve immediately.

--I usually make two balls though and make 2- 14" pizza's, at a time.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

No, I don't throw the dough...just roll it out into a rough 14" circle, put an edge on it by pinching the end of it, then adding some dough shaped into breadsticks to divide the pizza into 4 sections...looks awesome....and you have extra pizza crust/breadsticks to nibble on, when it's done.....I do use a wooden pizza spatula, and a pizza stone...and sometimes I also use a clay lid I have made for 14" pizza's. This lets the dough get a little more crispy, and bakes the breadsticks, without burning the toppings...I also coat the pizza stone with a little cornmeal to prevent sticking, and the pizza comes right off the stone when it's done.

Living' in the shadow,

Hey DJwayne,

may have to try that Pizza. in the past its the 1 thing i cant get right... i gave it up.

Scotts real Italian (yes i am a wop) Chicken Catchatori:

1lb thin or angel hair pasta thinner is better to soak up liquid.

3 table spoons oilve oil

4 large skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite size.

1 medium green pepper (cut thinly length wise)

1) medium to small onion (cut like you do for french onion soup, de-end, 1/2 it parrellel to the ends then thinly perpendicular to the ends)

3 large tablespoons jared garlic (or 3-4 cloves fresh)

1-2 tablespoons crushed red pepper (dry or fresh)

1 can mushrooms (or about 7 fresh)

1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz) or fresh

1 small can 7oz tomatoe sauce

1 small can 3oz tomatoe base

about 4 tablespoons basil

4 tablespoons oregano

salt and pepper to taste

pinch of sage

big pinch of rosemary

start cooking your pasta.

the first part of this is done on high (saute')

put oil in very large skillet turn on high

once oil is hot add garlic and crushed red pepper

once pepper is browned (careful it can burn quick)

add green peppers and onions.

saute until softened.

add chicken and all remaining spices.

continue sauting until no raw chicken can be seen.

add diced tomatoes saute a little then turn down heat to medium.

add tomatoe sauce and tomatoe paste.

add a can of water (tomatoe paste can)

let simmer for 15 minutes to thicken stiring occasionally.

i find i often have to add a little more water.

you don't want it quite as think as spagetti sauce.

serve over pasta, Garlic bread is a nice added touch as well as a ceaser salad.

warning.. watch the crushed red pepper. this could kill it for some people.. i like it with alot but most dont.

Scott

My 13 layer Lasagna recipe can be had as well, but it aint cheap and its hours (4-5) of work.

Scott

Sounds like a great recipe....on the pizza, you may also want to drizzle a little olive oil on top after it's done baking....

I really like this pizza recipe, as it uses crushed tomato's vrs a pizza sauce. Chunks of tomato with the peppers and onion, and meats....mmmmmmmmmm.....

De-boned chicken and BBQ' rib pieces also work great on pizza....

Living' in the shadow,

This is a recipe from www.allrecipes.com I found about a year ago. This is the original:

Chicken Supreme IV

Breaded chicken breasts are sauteed until golden, then

baked with Jack cheese, mushrooms, and a white wine sauce.

This delicious chicken dish was taught to me by my mother.

It calls for white Zinfandel wine, and has an amazing

flavor. It is guaranteed to be one of your favorites, too.

This dish goes well with asparagus, and some kind of pasta

side (we like to make angel hair pasta with garlic herb

butter). Enjoy!! Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time:

approx. 40 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 55 Minutes. Makes 4

servings.

Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Christie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

3 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups Italian-style

seasoned bread crumbs

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 skinless, boneless chicken

breast halves

2 cups white Zinfandel wine

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly

grease a medium baking dish.

2 Place Parmesan cheese, eggs, and bread crumbs in three

separate small bowls. Heat the oil in a large skillet over

medium-high heat. Dip each piece of chicken into the Parmesan

cheese, then into the egg, then into the bread crumbs. Brown

the chicken on both sides in the hot skillet, and then

transfer them to the prepared baking dish.

3 Pour wine into skillet, and scrape up the browned bits.

Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Top

each chicken breast with even amounts of Monterey Jack

cheese, then spoon mushrooms over the cheese. Pour the

remaining wine from the skillet over all. Cover dish with

aluminum foil.

4 Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until

chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

-------------------------------------------------

I found you don't need three eggs(actually I use the fake eggs), and three cups of Monterey Jack is a lot of chees. An 8 0z. bag of shredded cheese is enough for 4 breast halves. And if you cook it just a little longer it gets butter soft. Good stuff. And her pasta recommendation is right on as well.

djwayne, that's a good recipe. I make my Pizza with Puck's recipe since years.

One tip though: Don't follow the recipe. Just use the ingredients as specified. Disolve the yeast in the the full amount of water (1 cup). Then add honey, salt, olive oil and stir. Then knead in the flour. Is easier and faster.

BTW, I knead the dough in a breadmaker. It works excellent.

If you don't have a breadmaker, consider it. I use it only to knead pizza/bread dough, not for actually baking in it. It will make the dough rise faster, as

it warms it.

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Originally posted by antimatter:

This is a recipe from www.allrecipes.com I found about a year ago. This is the original:

Chicken Supreme IV

That sounds really good. We'll be trying it in the next couple of days.

Our Joint

Antimatter's recipe does sound good, and would also work well with veal, cutlet or ground, served on a nice bed of spaghetti pasta with your favorite spaghetti sauce.....sort of a variation of Veal Parmasan, that I used to make. Add some toasted garlic bread, a little wine, and you'll have a great meal.

Living' in the shadow,

djwayne, we're trying one of the recipies on that site tonight, the Milwaukee Pork Stew. We already seem some changes to make but that'll be next time around. Great link though, lots of great sounding stuff there. Thanks.

Try that Ham thing I posted. You'll love it.

Our Joint

Botch, my potato salad is a bit simpler, and a bit similar.

Exact measurements aren't possible because I've had to make varying amounts over time that I just add to taste

Miracle Whip

Chopped celery

celery seed, dill seed or dill weed/your choice

chopped green pepper

ground yellow mustard

honey to taste

two or three cubed hard boiled eggs

No onion is added because several family members can't eat it. Sounds good though, so add it to yours if you wish. Cover with sliced hard boiled eggs and sprinkle with paprika.

LIGHTER PANCAKES

2 cups flour

3 TBS baking powder

2 TBS sugar

2 cups milk

2 eggs, separated

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/8 cup veg. oil

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk and beat until batter is smooth. Add egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter. Add vanilla and oil. Cook on recomended temp. if on electric griddle, or heat stovetop griddle on medium heat until water droplets "dance" when dropped on griddle.

SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE FRENCH TOAST

Use any bread you please, but let it dry out beforehand. Mix:

4 eggs

1/3 cup half-and-half

cinnamon to taste

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp almond extract

You should know the rest...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived