Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicplayer Recipe Book

Heres where we can add all the recipes as Wewus suggested so you can refer back if need be to see if theres anything you would like to cook.

Post all your ideas here and feel free to add pictures if you want. I will also post up recipes people ahve added on other threads to.

I'll kick it off with this little gem.

CHOCOLATE, BRAMLEY & BLUEBERRY LASAGNE

CREATED BY JERMAINE WEEKES, (My son :D )

WESTMINSTER KINGSWAY COLLEGE

Serves 2

Chocolate Lasagne

100g dark cooking chocolate

2 eggs

150g pasta flour

50g cocoa powder

50g caster sugar

Cocoa powder for rolling

1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water and remove from heat. When cool break the eggs into the bowl and mix.

2. Sieve flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add sugar and make a well in the centre. Pour in the melted chocolate mix and slowly combine to form dough.

3. Kneed on a cocoa dusted surface for 5 minutes and then wrap in cling film and refrigerate until ready to use.

4. Divide dough into four pieces, roll out to 2mm thick and using appropriate cutter size, cut 5-6 circles.

5. Poach in simmering water in a shallow pan for approx two minutes. Once cooked place onto a dry cloth to drain off excess water. Set aside and allow to cool.

Filling

2-3 Bramley apples

1 lemon

50g brown sugar

½ tsp cinnamon powder

2 punnets of blueberries

500ml double cream, whipped

1. Slice Bramley apples across the core to form 1cm slices and place into bowl of water with the juice of one lemon until ready to use.

2. Using a circular cutter, cut into circles and remove core. Return to the bowl of water to prevent discolouration.

3. Fill a shallow or sauté pan full with water, add the sugar and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and then simmer.

4. Add a few of the Bramley slices at a time and cook for approx 2-3 minutes.

5. Once cooked, place apples into cold water to stop the cooking process. When cooled, dry and put to one side.

6. Heat the blueberries and 2 tbsp of water in a wide shallow pan. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the berries turn bright in colour but not soft.

7. Whip the double cream in a bowl and set aside.

Blueberry Coulis

2 punnets blueberries

50g caster sugar

1. Heat the blueberries, sugar and 2-4 tbsp of water in a pan, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved.

2. Pass through a sieve into clean pan and add additional water if required.

Garnish

Sprigs of fresh mint

To assemble each portion

http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/image/Lasagne.jpg

Place a chocolate lasagne ring in the centre of each plate, followed by a Bramley apple ring on top, then a layer of blueberries, Bramley ring and top with another ring of lasagne. Pipe the whipped cream into the centre of the tower. Decorate around the edge with blueberry coulis, whole blueberries and a sprig of fresh mint.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dwaynes Recipe

German Pork Chops

In a saute' pan, fry up some pork chops in a little butter, add one onion, sliced up, some Warsteiner Beer, and a tablespoon of flour, simmer for a few minutes mix well to make a thick onion/beer gravy, add a little more beer to thin the sauce, cook longer to thicken. Salt & pepper to taste. Fry up some sliced potatoes, and serve with the pork chops and gravy, and sliced buttered bread....This has a real old world flavor to it. Very hardy meal.

Enjoy.

One of my best recipes is for lamb or mutton chops.

You'll need the following ingredients and it takes about an hour to cook and always serve with Rice.

Chops, preferably the thicker cut they are the better

1 large onion, sliced

Garlic cloves crushed

Ginger, chopped,

Seasoning as following: 4-5 teaspoons of Paprika, black pepper, 5-6 teaspoons of mild-medium Curry Powder,4 teaspoons of season all if you can get it or lamb chop seasoning.

chopped fresh coriander

2 tomatoes chopped

2 veggie stock cubes

tin of plum tomatoes, chopped

1 Jalepeno chilli, seeded and chopped finely.

Hot water

Season your chops with the season all, paprika, curry powder,onions, coriander,garlic and ginger.

Leave over night in a sealed container in the fridge.

Heat some oil in a deep pot and add the chops with all your seasoning in and fry. If you want more seasoning added, add it now to taste.

Leave to brown and cover till juices start to come out.

Add your chopped tomatoes and cook down.

add your tinned tomatoes and cover and cook for about 10 mintues.

add you Jalapenos peppers and no more than half a pepper or it will be to hot.

cook for a few minutes.

add your 2 stock cubes by crumbling in and add hot water just to cover the chops and simmer for 45mins to and hour.

Add more fresh coriander and serve with Rice.

Enjoy

COOL!

Quick Chili

1lb. of groud turkey, or groud beef. I prefer ground turkey. It's not only lower in fat, it just tastes better to me.

1 can of tomatoes, 12 to 16 ounces, any kind, diced, stewed, whatever, or equivalent fresh tomatoes which is even better.

1 Package McCormick's Chili powder or equivalent. I now make my own chili powder with dried peppers, and ground cumin, and whatever other spices I have on hand, but the two essential ingredients are peppers and cumin, you can use just those two. To make this use 4 medium sized dried peppers, and 2 teaspoons of cumin. You take all your spices and grind them up in a coffee grinder. I have an old one that I use just for that purpose. If you can't or don't want to make your own chili powder, the McCormick's is one of the best, of the prepackaged Chili Powders, I think.

1 can of beans any kind. I like dark red kidney beans, but whatever you use here is good. Black beans are great too. You can even leave out the beans if you want. It's still good.

Cooking directions:

Brown the ground meat, and then pour off the excess fat. I just get my hot water going and pour it down the sink, but you can pour it into a container if you want, or just drink it. Do it!

Put the meat back on the stove, and add the can of tomatoes, and the spices, and 1 cup of water, or more if you want it thinner, and let the whole thing simmer down for 30 minutes, or more. If you're really hungry you can eat it after ten minutes, but the extra cooking blends all the flavors, and softens the tomatoes.

About five minutes before serving, add the beans. Top with onions, cheese, crackers, or whatever you want. It's goooooood.

Originally posted by The Phantom YaCa:

Originally posted by The Phantom Base:

Can we make requests???

Does anyone have a recipe for Haggis & Black Pudding Pie????? *drool*

YUK!

I can easily ask my son to devise one if you like!

He he, that's ok, might try the choc lasagne tho...!
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Ha, stinks like a rotten drain, yeah that's bad.

I'm not sure why we didn't do this before. There's probably a hundred recipes already posted for barbecue and what not, so now we can consolidate them here.

Of course people can still start new threads about food, but I think it's a good idea to put all the recipes in one place. Later maybe we can even make a hard copy of the info, and sell it to raise money for the website....... oar something.

Thats a good idea Wewus as long as we dont have any of Bases recipes in there like the Pie he's asking for...Makes the stomach churn!

Be good to have something to look at for the days that we are stuck for ideas and if we can make some dough for the MP site later on, even better. :thu:

I'm going to try and do your recipe tonight.

I have Rajah Chilli powder, is that ok to use or I can use some dried flaked chillis or something instead and add cumin to it.

Pacific-planked Salmon with Botch's Honey-Chipotle Mayonnaise:

Soak around a 6" x 12" cedar or alder board in water for 3 hours or more (this long soak is necessary, trust me, and keep a fire extinguisher handy). Start your grill, and when hot place salmon (either steaks or fillets work) on the wood, then place the wood on the grate over medium heat/coals and close the grill. It'll smoke like heck, keep an eye on it, and remove board and fish when the fish is opaque (the Pacific area native americans smoked salmon this way for thousands of years, and it's really popular up in Seattle restaurants). I don't usually salt or pepper the fish at all until after grilling.

Botch's Mayonnaise:

Simply mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1 Tablespoon honey, and 1 finely-minced chipotle pepper (fresh herbs like tarragon or parsley aren't a bad addition). Mix well and let stand at least 30 minutes. Glop onto fish when ready to serve.

I've got a couple others I'll add when I get home Sunday, I'll be leaving for Yellowstone at noon today, woohoo!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Sausage & Chicken Gumbo

(This is a low saturated fat recipe)

/* This recipe is also good with quail and pheasant instead of chicken.

*/

Ingredients ...

1 whole boned and skinned chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into serving pieces

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil

1 1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped bell peppers

Salt

Cayenne pepper

3 bay leaves

1 Tablespoon of Gumbo filé

... and whatever additional spices you prefer.

1 pound smoked andouille sausage cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices

(You can get andouille chicken sausage at Trader Joe's)

6 cups dark chicken or other stock (You can use cubes for the chicken stock then add a couple splashes of Lea & Perrin's to darken instead)

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onions

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large cast-iron or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, over medium heat. Season the chicken with Essence. Dust the chicken with 1/4 cup of the flour. Sear the chicken until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.

Combine the remaining oil and remaining flour and stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the stock. Stir until the roux mixture and stock are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Add the chicken. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley and green onions. Add the filé here (Powdered sassafras leaves used to thicken and season soups, stews, and gumbos).

Remove the bay leaves and serve on a large plate over a mound of cooked brown rice surrounded by stir fried Granny Smith apple slices.

No signature required.

posted by Yaca:
I have Rajah Chilli powder, is that ok to use or I can use some dried flaked chillis or something instead and add cumin to it.
Whatever you got is good. To make my own chili powder I grind 4 medium size dried peppers, and add 2 teaspoons of ground cumin. Some people add basil and oregano, garlic powder, and other spices, but I think it tastes fine with just peppers and cumin. Of course to make it hotter use more peppers.

Sure, as long as the peppers have been dried well. If you get any moisture in there you could get fungi growing.

I was reading on the web not long ago about making ristras . You see them a lot in open air markets in The SW US, and other parts of the world. Anyone here ever make a ristra?

Easy Chocolate Sauce/Icing

Every dinner at work means I have to make a pan of brownies with this on top. Luckily this is VERY easy and flexible.

1 lb powered sugar (10x)

½ cup coco powder

¼ cup milk (I use skim.)

6 tbls butter

1 tbl Vanilla extract

Mix the sugar and coco in a large microwave safe bowl as it is easy to mix well when dry. With a fork stir in milk and vanilla extract. Keep stirring until you get a blob of chocolate. Melt the butter and stir that in last. At this point it gets pretty smooth. Microwave for one minute on high. Remove from microwave and mix with hand blender on medium speed. Place back into microwave for one more minute. As always, adjust the amount of each ingredient to your liking. I normally use a bit less coco and a bit more vanilla.

Options:

Less milk makes the final product harder, much like the old chocolate candy icing that used to be on the Hersheys Coco box, except this way you dont have to use a candy thermometer or do the ball test. More milk makes it more like a sauce. I usually make a pan of brownies and then pour this over the top. With just a little more milk it is great as hot fudge for ice cream. (Try butter pecan for the best hot fudge sundaes.) In this case, make ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. When ready to use, warm just enough to make it pour, but not so warm that it melts the ice cream.

To make the chocolate grainer like the older candy and icing recipe use a fork to mix rather than a blender.

Uses:

Candy icing for cakes and brownies.

Hot fudge for ice cream.

Fondue.

Mix with nuts or unsweetened coconut for candy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Kitty Litter Cake

(Warning: Do not eat if pregnant)

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix

1 white cake mix

2 large pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared (I like Bird's® dessert mix)

1 large pkg vanilla sandwich cookies

green food coloring

12 small Tootsie Rolls®

1 kitty litter pan

1 plastic kitty litter pan liner

1 pooper scooper

(If you already have a cat you won't need to buy these.)

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/cakeimg/kittylitter.jpg

Hotel Hotdogs

( For the musician on the road)

1 pkg hotdogs

1 hotel table lamp

1 pair wire strippers

Strip electrical cord connected to hotel lamp. (approx 8 inches)

Slice open hotdog and wrap it around exposed wire.

Plug into wall outlet for about 8 seconds at 220, or 4 seconds at 110.

I made these recently at the Woodland Hotel, and everyone thought they were smashing!

Here's a pic!

http://www.cityofwoodland.org/fire/graphics/Wdhotel2.jpg

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I've never made Brownies and if anyone has a recipe for them, that would be great.

That Gumbo does sound good. I might try that tomorrow acrually if I have time.

Wewus, i made the Chilli and it is delious. :P

I will make it again next week aswell.

:)

I usually make some kind of chili about once a week. The cool thing is you can alter the spices, or the meat, or other ingredients, and it always taste different. Another great thing to do with chili is make nachos. We had a whole big thread of nacho recipes, maybe people can re-post those, or we can find that thread.

You've never had nachos? Oh my gawd! You don't know what you've been missing. How about some chili, cheese fries? Make some french fries, then slop some chili and grated cheese on them, pop in the microwave to melt the cheese. Not something you want to eat all the time, but it sure does taste good.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

You've never had nachos? Oh my gawd! You don't know what you've been missing. How about some chili, cheese fries? Make some french fries, then slop some chili and grated cheese on them, pop in the microwave to melt the cheese. Not something you want to eat all the time, but it sure does taste good.

No I haven't. :o

I'll try that with some chillie i have left tomorrow lunchtime...sounds nice.

You do have some good ideas Wewus. :)

Originally posted by Super 8:

Kitty Litter Cake

(Warning: Do not eat if pregnant)

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix

1 white cake mix

2 large pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared (I like Bird's® dessert mix)

1 large pkg vanilla sandwich cookies

green food coloring

12 small Tootsie Rolls®

1 kitty litter pan

1 plastic kitty litter pan liner

1 pooper scooper

(If you already have a cat you won't need to buy these.)

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/cakeimg/kittylitter.jpg

I can't tell if you just came up with potential ingredients for such a cake and put it with a picture of a litter box or if this is for real. :confused:

If it is a real cake, where are the instructions? A co-worker of mine (Sick mind.. nothing at all like me. ;) ) wants to make one.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

What a great idea for a thread. One for the archives for sure.

Here's Nightshade Salsa Rustica:

Get yer peppers- sweet, hot, some of each

Garlic- peeled but whole cloves

Onions- little boiler onions ideally but you can cut 'em in half if they're not too big

Tomatoes- nothin' too juicy, we're talkin' paste tomatos and cherry tomatos, and use ripe ones

Tomatillos- why not

So, what you do is throw all this stuff whole into a cast iron skillet, and roast it until everything is blistered and oozing- yum! Turn periodically to get it all good.

Then, either beat it up in a mortar and pestle or throw it in the blender, tomatoes first so the blender works. Add cilantro if possible.

Yum!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Guys

is there anything i can do with a whole chicken instead of roasting it whole. I normally roast it but I am so bored with this.

I have a all day jam session tomorrow and feeding a few hungry musicians so want to cook something a little different and something that wont take long to do rather than just the run of the mill roast chicken.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking White Bean Chili, or chicken and rice.

To make chicken and rice, just boil the whole chicken in a big pot for about an hour, or until the meat is falling off the bone. Remove the chicken and let it cool off, meanwhile add a whole bag of rice or less according to how big your pot is,

then.......debone the chicken, and add the meat back to the pot along with salt and pepper, and other spices to taste. You could also add carrots and celery if you like. Wait until the rice absorbs all the liquid........and there you are.

Guys

is there anything i can do with a whole chicken instead of roasting it whole. I normally roast it but I am so bored with this.

I have a all day jam session tomorrow and feeding a few hungry musicians so want to cook something a little different and something that wont take long to do rather than just the run of the mill roast chicken.

Any suggestions?

Roast it ahead of time. Debone it and cut it up. Then you have lots of options. Mix with rice and cheese for a cassarole. Use it as the meat in spaghetti sauce. Stir fry it with veggies using olive oil and soy sauce.

I'm sure Wewus has more.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived