Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bloody Organ Palm Smears on Weighted Keyboards

Coker

I have a YC88 that I use for acoustic piano oriented gigs and a MODX8 for all others.  I do play B3 on both as a background or layering sound, but have started to explore B3 as a soloing instrument. Ironically, the supposedly inferior keybed in the MODX allows pain free and effective palm smears, while the superior YC88 does not.  With the YC88, one must do “thumb smears,” and even those don’t work very well.  

Have you found other weighted keyboards that better support organ technique?  

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I think best is probably the Fatar TP/40L used in the higher end Kurzweil 88s. Possibly other TP/40 variants, even if not as well suited to this as the L. So, for example, the Nord Stage 88s, some of the 76s.... and Nord and Kurz both support high trigger on their organs.

Kawai MP7 was another that I thought was good (and supported high trigger). MP7SE action is different, I haven't played that one.

I think Yamaha YC73 is good (though probably not as good as ones mentioned above).

I think my old Roland FP2 was good for this, but I don't think there's any current Roland that is suitable.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I adjusted my playing style so that the palm glides across the top of the keys rather than along the front edge.  I got cut years ago when i started using midi modules being played on non-waterfall keys.  Only took one time getting cut for me to make the adjustment. Even happens on semi-weighted, mostly because of the lip.  Even my L100p cut me, so that is also how i play that board.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

For generating a blood bath, nothing holds a candle to the Hammond console.

Pound it a little too enthusiastically, and a key will break in the middle. Being sprung at the rear, it will helpfully pop the jagged edge up. If you break the key during a smear, you can open your forearm from stem to stern. I've done exactly this several times.

sturgill-simpson-blood-keyboard.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Cool 1

Moe

---

2 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Pound it a little too enthusiastically, and a key will break in the middle. Being sprung at the rear, it will helpfully pop the jagged edge up. If you break the key during a smear, you can open your forearm from stem to stern. I've done exactly this several times.

Now, that’s commitment. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Disagree.  Something went or is wrong or you're doing things wrong.

I have bloodied many a key bed, the fewest of times being the original 3 series.

* It was usually something else that caused the bloody.

They are extremely pleasant and forgiving in keybed (Hamm 3 series and more).

You realize organs aren’t velocity sensitive.   😀

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

17 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Rock and roll! 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

On 8/25/2024 at 11:36 AM, mate stubb said:

If you break the key during a smear, you can open your forearm from stem to stern. I've done exactly this several times.

I'm trying to take in the "several times" part without making fun of you.  🙂 

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I have a Nord Stage 3 that I use to play live, primarily for EP and acoustic piano sounds, some synths, clavs, etc.

I can use it for light organ work, no problem. 

But if there's a bunch of organ songs in the set, I bring one of my 61-key USB keyboard controllers - I've used a Novation Impulse 61 in the past. I get a USB cable and connect the other end into phone charger adaptor and plug it in for power. Then I get a DIN MIDI cable going out from the Impulse and into my Nord Stage. 
I also program a preset on the Impulse so the sliders can control the drawbars on the Nord using the appropriate CCs. I also assign buttons on the Impulse to control rotary speaker speed, on/off, etc.

When I call up an organ patch, I just play it on my USB controller instead. 

You can pretty much do this for any USB keyboard controller.

My VR-760 is by far the smoothest, lightest, best-feeling waterfall action I've ever played.  I especially like, even though it's two settings, the ability to set the trigger point to shallow (which is where mine is set) and deep.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

VR-700 and VK8 were also excellent. The Rolands were better feeling than the ubiquitous Fatar TP/80. In fact, a lot of the older Roland actions were better than their current ones, IMO. FP2 and FP-7F had hammer actions I like better than today's equivalents, and RS9 and Jupiter 50 had lightweight non-hammer actions that were also better than today's equivalents.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)