Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Muse - Cat's out of the bag!

• Like 5

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Thank you for posting that. I jumped to “Presets!”, the approx. last ten minutes of the video. So hard to tell in an online video, but some good stuff in there, although a lot of samey bell-like/percussive programs. Wish it featured more actual playing. Of course, they included the obligatory “Lucky Man” patch (meh?). Really need to hear this thing through some speakers.

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

At $3499, it's definitely an interesting machine!

Review in Wired, dang!

https://www.wired.com/review/moog-muse-review/

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

This thing looks pretty snazzy. I'm checking out the preset portion of the video, just like Moonglow, LOL.

I have lost track of what's up with Moog's business situation, aside from tangential awareness they were purchased, something's changing about the Asheville Moog shop, and various things that could spell worry for Moog fans. I wonder if this is a bold move to get traction from the Moog brand in a product that's more accessible than something like the Moog One. Or at least getting closer to the Sequential and Oberheim modern products? Not sure. I'm intrigued.

Not overly convinced by what I hear from that preset part of the video, feels like "subtractive synthesis 101" more or less...

It looks FAT though!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

And of course Matt's making it sing!!

Lovely!!

(Now I want one too!!)

• Like 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Love it but, based on the latest synths, I think they missed the mark with no poly aftertouch. Muse AT anyone?

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

3 minutes ago, eric said:

The Matt Johnson video is awesome.

He's a lovely character and a great player!

9 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Love it but, based on the latest synths, I think they missed the mark with no poly aftertouch. Muse AT anyone?

Coming in the EX version...

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

35 minutes ago, eric said:

This thing looks pretty snazzy. I'm checking out the preset portion of the video, just like Moonglow, LOL.

I have lost track of what's up with Moog's business situation, aside from tangential awareness they were purchased, something's changing about the Asheville Moog shop, and various things that could spell worry for Moog fans. I wonder if this is a bold move to get traction from the Moog brand in a product that's more accessible than something like the Moog One. Or at least getting closer to the Sequential and Oberheim modern products? Not sure. I'm intrigued.

InMusic Brands will definitely not sit on their bums and watch their investment go down the drain, so yeah, I think we can be pretty sure they have a plan for how to get this brand profitable yet without watering it down too thin in the end.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I watched most of Loopop video, and I must say that I love the architecture and the UI. It seems to have *that* sound, with a myriad of possibilities for programming. Apparently, they took a couple of lessons from Sequential about layout and modulations...

I would have loved a third envelope, or at least a "one shot" function for the lfos, for those percussive transients. But generally speaking, as a Moog/Ladder polyphonic, it beats the Trigon clearly in my opinion.

EDIT: I watched a bit more of the Loopop video, and heck, I *love* the arpeggiator and the sequencer! Here, I have said it. :D

• Like 2

The Muse looks and sounds like Moog got the poly synth right this time.

Also, the Muse is priced at a point that musicians may be more willing to scrape up.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

54 minutes ago, marino said:

I watched most of Loopop video, and I must say that I love the architecture and the UI. It seems to have *that* sound, with a myriad of possibilities for programming. Apparently, they took a couple of lessons from Sequential about layout and modulations...

I have yet to read the manual, but I like the features I am seeing esp the 3rd VCO/LFO and matrix modulation.  The UI looks very intuitive.

But generally speaking, as a Moog/Ladder polyphonic, it beats the Trigon clearly in my opinion.

As a Trigon and Memorymoog owner, I have a different opinion but may be subject to change if I try a Muse.  But Sequential offers the tabletop module format Trigon, which fits my needs better.  I have limited room in my studio, and modules controlled by a master MIDI controller are the compact way to go for gigging.

Coming next, Boog Amuse, 16 voices, Poly AT, $1199 ?

🤣

• Haha 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I had a look at the manual, and I must say I'm impressed. Given the Muse's mainly subtractive architecture, there are LOTS of useful functions for the dedicated programmer.

Sure, a third envelope is sorely missing. The pitch lfo has an "envelope" button, which I guess is a "one shot" mode; But since in the manual there's no list for mod sources, only destinations - it's not clear whether the pitch lfo can be assigned to other parameters (other than pitch) in the mod matrix or not.

And it looks like the lfos lack a fade in time control - a surprising omission. 

But these are about the only missing thing I could find in a very complete voice channel. The menus even include some quite esoteric functions. And judging from the demos, it sounds really good to my ears. I want to play one ASAP!

3 hours ago, RABid said:

I don't care for that row of white buttons. If that is the limit of my complaints, they did pretty well. Just waiting for someone to take one apart and do a video on build quality.

I'm a bit concerned with the select knob's noticeable looseness and wobble in the loopop video whenever he uses it. Sounds very much like a Moog just casually listening to it though - a good thing in my book. 

I've been reviewing the demos and I find very little not to like. I earlier opined that it would be the Moog One for people who didn't want the expense & need for firmware updates. It seems like they hit that mark pretty well. I do wonder where it resides on the pre-InMusic timeline, because it doesn't come across like a casual thing at all. I feel good about its chances in a basic price-point lineup that includes the Trigon, OB-6 and Prophet-6. I also can't compliment the HP filter option enough, especially in conjunction with a classic LP. Cue people hollering for a module version.

I'm not a target customer, because I'm satisfied with layering three soft-Memorymoogs together, hitting a low F and getting a dirty look from my dog. You think I'm kidding, but if he'd been in the Algonquin Roundtable, his stinkeye could have sent Dorothy Parker packing. He's such a bitch. 😝

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

I thought I was done with synths other than my Voyager (I've sold everything else) but this one has my attention as it reminds me of the CS80 in some ways and even the Jupiter 8000 in other ways.

A lot of people have complained about the "thinness" or "light bass", which are huge pluses in my book. As a bassist, I try to make everything else stay away from stepping on the bass or the kick drum. I can use the Voyager for synth bass; nothing else comes close (except maybe an original Model D Minimoog).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They definitely borrowed heavily from the One which is a good thing, I believe, and added functions that I hope could be included in a firmware update. I'm surprised and very pleased.  

Mazeltov! 

• Like 1

I absolutely love the look of it. It hits the sweet spot between vintage kitsch and modern slickness. But so far from all the demos I've heard, the sound is rather... uninspiring. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but just kind of run of the mill, heard-it-before compared to other polysynths. Both the original PolyBrute and the upcoming PolyBrute 12 are more intriguing to me.

I do want to try one, though, even though I have my heart and wallet set on the PolyBrute 12.

EDIT: To add that I hope it does well for Moog. It's great to see them release a lower cost polysynth. And I like that it has 61 keys although I think the lack of poly aftertouch is a missed opportunity.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Coming next, Boog Amuse, 16 voices, Poly AT, $1199 ?

🤣

"Hi, I'm looking for a Buse"
"We can't give you a Buse in store, I'm afraid"

"Well can you send me a Buse by mail?"

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, marino said:

Another video from Matt Johnson

Want to sit with it looks like a hoot n half.
Arpeggiator, Seq, FX, two osc, 1 to 1 plus patches but now at a competitive price point. We can give InMusic a chance. InMoog!

*Also that B-word company many love to hate fueled these type releases in many ways.
Hmm...Competition is good for everyone.

• Like 1

Competition is a drive indeed, the legendary Cola war between PepsiCo and The Coca Cola Company grew the market for their category, carbonated soft drinks and bottled water, with ridiculous multiples!

And the pricing, I am amazed, it even competes with used vintage synths (a Juno 60 is often priced around 3000€-5000€ depending on condition..), and I for sure know where I'd rather swipe my card in that competition...

Running a VAT registered company in the EU, the Muse will cost me around 2800€ ... I am pretty sure I absolutely don't need it, but dang!!!

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -