Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ivan Neville Appreciation Thread

I saw Ivan Neville this Saturday night and his band Dumpster Funk.   He is an amazing piano/organ/clav player.  He sang while switching instruments. playing right-handed parts with the left hand and being very efficient in his playing.  Guys like him are very rare and his feel is amazing.   If he is coming near where any of you live check him out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Ivan Neville has been killin' it for a long time now. It's great to see a thread about him around here.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I was fortunate enough to get to see Dumpstaphunk a few years ago. Great New Orleans funk!! I hadn't heard much about them lately so am glad to see they're still out there doin' it!

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Ivan Neville has been killin' it for a long time now. It's great to see a thread about him around here.😎

Agreed.  I have seen Dumpstafunk several times here in DC. Also, I have seen them livestreamed from Tipitina's in New Orleans.

Haven't ever walked away without being impressed. Excellent group of performing artists, :2thu:

:nopity:

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

He sang while switching instruments. playing right-handed parts with the left hand

Yeah I've just identified this as a weakness in my own playing. I've got a tune with both Wurlie and B3. I programmed the CP73 for a Wurlie that sounds an octave higher for my left hand but I don't have the solo and lick facility in my left hand as much as my right. I can chord and play bass pretty well but it's not been conditioned to do much else. I've never had a keyboard before that I could send octaves above middle C to below middle C.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

I saw Ivan Neville this Saturday night and his band Dumpster Funk.   He is an amazing piano/organ/clav player.  He sang while switching instruments. playing right-handed parts with the left hand and being very efficient in his playing.  Guys like him are very rare and his feel is amazing.   If he is coming near where any of you live check him out. 

That band is super cold!

He was one of the acts we caught at the French Quarter Fest last April. He was awesome. We tried to catch any act that had a Neville or Marsalis. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He plays a B-3/122 or 147 that was backlined I think.  He plays a Honer D6 and a Nord Stage. I think those two boards he probably carries around.  I'm not sure but I could talk to Audio Images who is the company that does most of the festivals in this region.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Man 1988.   He looks different and his voice has matured. I think he is 64 now.

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, AROIOS said:

This performance from a long while ago still gives me goosebumps, easily my favorite cover of that song:

D8mn.  Ruth Brown, Hiram Bullock, George Duke and David Sanborn are jamming among the stars.

Phillipe Saisse held down the FM duties.😁

Heavy hitter musicians across the board (no pun intended). 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

5 hours ago, Outkaster said:

He plays a B-3/122 or 147 that was backlined I think.  He plays a Honer D6 and a Nord Stage. I think those two boards he probably carries around. 

His rig  is a Hammond A 100 with a Hohner E7 on top and a Nord Stage off to the side.  I did see him recently using a Hammond B3 at Tipitina's.

Don't know if he changed his organ or if it was backlined. :idk:

Oh yeah, and he runs the E7 through a talkbox for one of the songs they recorded years ago. 

:nopity:

2 hours ago, ProfD said:
4 hours ago, AROIOS said:

This performance from a long while ago still gives me goosebumps, easily my favorite cover of that song:

D8mn.  Ruth Brown, Hiram Bullock, George Duke and David Sanborn are jamming among the stars.

Fantastic!  Love to see how much they are enjoying the performance!!!

David Sanborn's hair is also something to behold!

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yes, his band feels like an extension of the Meters and the Neville Brothers at times.  His drawbar settings remind me of Art Neville. 

• Like 1

noblevibes.com

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

Absolutely, it was the dream team. The rest of the crew need no introduction, but Hiram Bullock and Philippe Saisse are criminally under-recognized outside the session musicians circle.

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

The rest of the crew need no introduction, but Hiram Bullock and Philippe Saisse are criminally under-recognized outside the session musicians circle.

So many of those types of folks enjoy the privilege of being 1st call musicians without having to deal with the BS that comes with fame and celebrity. 

Getting in and out like a bank robber, er, flying below the radar has its perks.😎

• Like 1

PD

Check out this clip of the Neville Brothers with Ivan.  Their vocals are all top notch with  probably 6 guys singing:

http:// The Neville Brothers - Full Concert - Live at the North Sea Jazz Festival 2006 (youtube.com) 

noblevibes.com

Ivan does his family and his city proud. I became a fan in high school, years before I moved to New Orleans, when his first album "If My Ancestors Could See Me Now" came out. Since then I've had the pleasure of playing dueling keys with him a few times, and it's always a blast. Nice to see him getting some well-deserved love!

• Like 1