Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best wishes to Greg Mein

D8mn.  Prayers up and wishing Greg Mein a speedy recovery.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ouch! I was vigorously aimed away from motorcycles because an uncle had an accident on his that slowed him waaaay down. The appeal of the idea faded when I saw the pins in his leg. Romantic, it ain't. Greg, I hope you can navigate your medical woe without too much holdover once you're healed +/-98%. :like:

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the thoughts, well wishes and prayers, it was a horrible experience and I'm probably lucky to be alive. I spent 9 days in the hospital. My right shoulder was basically destroyed, my nose is broken in two places and I had extensive road rash.

The road rash has made incredible progress in healing and although I'm sporting several different shades of skin tone I'm down to only one area that still needs to be dressed. The broken nose is a bit tender but was always the least noticeable of my problems, it was determined by my wife and the resident doctor that the surgery they'd scheduled for it wasn't all that necessary. My right shoulder was dislocated and broken. They "relocated" it shortly after arriving in the emergency room and then there was a surgery on it a few days later. There was only so much the surgeon could do. It remains to be seen how much mobility I'll have with it and we've been told a full shoulder replacement is likely the best solution.

All in all I consider myself fortunate. I don't know where I'd be without the expertise and assistance of my wife, as an experienced and well educated NP having her by my side is invaluable. We also have a supportive network of friends that have helped us both a great deal.

There is a lot more to the whole story but it may be a while before I can type with two hands again so I'm trying to be brief and I'll probably be rather scarce here for a while. I do really appreciate the well wishes, thoughts and prayers as I continue on my path to recovery!

• Like 10

Wow....good luck, and thankfully you made it out of that.

Yeah, after my brother did a stint as an x-ray tech, I started questioning my desire to get a bikes.   Too many of his "customers" were riders.   That was well before the prevalence of gargantuan SUVs and pickups with 6-foot-tall hoods on them, and also well before people had their eyes glued to smart phones as they rolled down the road.      My co-worker's truck rolled five times because some woman blew through a stop sign at 50mph, it's a miracle that he and his son were relatively unharmed.   All those risk factors plus FL weather (I'd swelter in all the protective gear I'd require myself to wear, plus rainstorms) cured me of the itch.

So glad to hear you made it through...I guess somewhat the worse for wear, but definitely on the right side of the ground :thu: FWIW I have a neighbor who needed a shoulder replacement. It went well, so it seems they have the process pretty much figured out.

Interestingly when raising my daughter, I had only two "Dad rules" that were non-negotiable. One was no riding on motorcycles, ever. I said I had no doubt she would be an intelligent, alert, and defensive driver. It was everyone else I didn't trust.

4 hours ago, Stokely said:

My co-worker's truck rolled five times because some woman blew through a stop sign at 50mph

She should have her car and license taken away. There's always Uber and public transportation, so suck it up. People running red lights seems to be on the increase. Now I always check to the left and right as soon as the light turns green.

17 hours ago, Anderton said:

Now I always check to the left and right as soon as the light turns green.

Makes perfect sense, right.  Well, around these parts, impatient drivers are leaning on the horn as soon as the light turns green.🙄 

F8ck them.  I take my sweet time.  Even though I drive a truck, I still don't want to get hit by some idiot running through a red light.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 7/17/2024 at 2:38 PM, Anderton said:

She should have her car and license taken away. There's always Uber and public transportation, so suck it up. People running red lights seems to be on the increase. Now I always check to the left and right as soon as the light turns green.

It's not a mystery IMO, it's people glued to their phones while they drive.   Glad I work from home so I drive less (though not being in a crappy office is even more of a reason to be glad!)

• 2 weeks later...

I am recently retired and am walking wherever I go locally and have really noticed a general lack of appreciation for stop signs. Not only do motorists not come to a stop, most of them around here don't even slow down. Definitely keeps me on my toes.

• Annoyed 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Threadslayer said:

I am recently retired and am walking wherever I go locally and have really noticed a general lack of appreciation for stop signs. Not only do motorists not come to a stop, most of them around here don't even slow down. Definitely keeps me on my toes.

Be careful out there mayne.

The worst part of it is when that stop sign rolling or running motorist will almost run over a pedestrian or hit another vehicle and look incredulously as if everyone else was in the wrong.😠 

Too many people are self-absorbed and inconsiderate and in a hurry to go nowhere fast. 

I get a chuckle out of the jackazz driver who blows by everyone else only to get stopped by the same traffic light.🤣😎

PD

Where I live, there is a general disregard for all traffic laws. Stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits—just suggestions.

A few sheriffs ago, one said, “Trafficking don't get you re-elected.” And it seems the 2 that followed him have the same philosophy.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle around here, I've had too many near-misses in my minivan, and I'm a conservative, defensive driver. I also happen to live on a curvy, hilly, narrow, 2 lane road with almost no right of way on either side. 

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

22 hours ago, ProfD said:

I get a chuckle out of the jackazz driver who blows by everyone else only to get stopped by the same traffic light.🤣😎

Or even better, when a few miles down the road you see them pulled over by the police. Always puts a smile on my face :)

My wife got rear-ended twice by people who were texting. She gave me a really useful Pro Tip: When you're stopped at a light, leave plenty of space between you and the next car. Then if someone rear-ends you, you won't end up rear-ending the person in front of you.

7 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Or even better, when a few miles down the road you see them pulled over by the police. Always puts a smile on my face :)

Yep. I get a chuckle out that too.🤣

Admittedly, when I was a young man, I had car with some horsepower.  A few times, I tested its speed.  Never in such a way or a situation that would bring hurt, harm or danger to others.  Carefully controlled experiments.😁😎

PD

Something I've also noticed is that during the covid lockdown, police reduced their traffic control presence and people became much more cavalier about their driving practices. I'm starting to see more motorcycle cops out and about, but the lawlessness spree is still evident.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

20 hours ago, ProfD said:

Admittedly, when I was a young man, I had car with some horsepower.  A few times, I tested its speed.  Never in such a way or a situation that would bring hurt, harm or danger to others

When I was 30 and divorced, I bought a red, Fiat 124 Spider convertible. The speedometer went to 140 mph. Midlife crisis?

I was on I-95, on a straight stretch of road, between two overpasses, with very little traffic, so I put it in the left lane, floored it, got it up to 135, where the tach yellow-lined, and then slowed back down. As I passed the next overpass, I saw a few police cars, and they were pointing at me, so I pulled over and waited. The cop in the air clocked me at 95 mph, said it looked like I kicked in the afterburners.

I went to court, admitted guilt, and explained to the judge what I did, and why I did it. He charged me $35 in court costs, and told me not to do that again. 

Normally, I'm a very conservative driver, but I just had to find out how fast that car went. 

Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

23 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Where I live, there is a general disregard for all traffic laws. Stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits—just suggestions.

A few sheriffs ago, one said, “Trafficking don't get you re-elected.” And it seems the 2 that followed him have the same philosophy.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle around here, I've had too many near-misses in my minivan, and I'm a conservative, defensive driver. I also happen to live on a curvy, hilly, narrow, 2 lane road with almost no right of way on either side. 

I've been noticing more oncoming vehicles keeping their high-beams on, and not dimming in response to the corresponding high-beam flash courtesy.

Regarding motorcycles, off-road only.  Off road, I had a couple of minor ankle injuries.  On-road, there were some instances too close for comfort that lead me to sell the bike.

23 hours ago, elif said:

I've been noticing more oncoming vehicles keeping their high-beams on, and not dimming in response to the corresponding high-beam flash courtesy.

And the new, whiter, LED beams seem brighter than the old tungsten and halogen lights.

Add that to the fact that huge pickup trucks are now the family sedan, and the lights are higher and at eye level.

When they approach, my old defensive driving lessons said look at the right side of the pavement, closer to your vehicle, until they pass. It's supposed to keep your pupil from closing as much, so you can see better after the bright light passes.

People were more civilized when I was young, and there were only about 1/3 of the number of people we have on the planet today.

My dad used to breed tropical fish as a sideline. The fish got along just fine, until there were too many fish in the tank. Then they started biting each other's fins. I think there are too many human fish on aquarium Earth. 

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton