Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One Discontinued?

https://www.gearnews.com/moog-one-discontinued/

There is speculation surrounding the Moog One. 

Maybe this is a clarion call to boost sales of existing inventory. 

I'd imagine someone around here is in the know.  Spill the tea.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Moog is now InMusic Brands, they probably crunched the data and also know the market well enough to see that there will never be sufficient ROI keeping that beast alive..

And they have a new polyphonic Moog waiting around the corner, one important marketing parameter to improve the possibility of economical success, includes probable cannibalisation if there is already a product which touches partly (or completely) the targeted segment...

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Current sale prices on the Moog One range from $7.5k-$13.6k. 

Maybe not a bad stock price.  Of course, we have no idea of how long it will take for that Moog One investment to mature.

The CS-80 is 44 years old now and it just hit the $62k sucker, er, sale price.🤣😎

• Confused 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I can respect someone who gets a near-sexual thrill at the idea of sitting in front of this beast, but I've been soaked in Moogs since my first Mini. You can mix any two modern forms of Moog and rattle the rafters as Bob intended. The One should all but be in a room of its own, like a piano. Its hard to gauge it next to the smaller Moogs like DFAMs.  

Of course, the price is enough to buy a modest but capable home studio. I expect the Muse to hold up well against a Prophet-6, so it'll make a lot more sense as a member of a stack.

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

The first time I had a MemoryMoog under my fingers was a kind of religious experience, never had the pleasure of the Moog One though.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

1 minute ago, J.F.N. said:

The first time I had a MemoryMoog under my fingers was a kind of religious experience, never had the pleasure of the Moog One though.

It’s not. 

I keep a LAMM, and it’s so brutal and, yes, kind of a religious experience. 

I sat down at the One and absolutely dug the thought that went into the structure and the features, and the individual saving of Mod Routings for use in other patches and, and, and. 

But the sound itself…didn’t kick me. It did all the right things, and the filters were right and moogy, and everything was cool, but… I couldn’t feel its character. The Source, the Mini, the Micro, the Prodigy — these are machines I have, and they each have very distinct personalities, somewhat seperate from their actual feature set. The Memorymoog is like trying to corral a herd of bison. 

But the One felt…generic. Like the Lil Phatty.  

• Sad 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

2 hours ago, analogika said:

But the sound itself…didn’t kick me. It did all the right things, and the filters were right and moogy, and everything was cool, but… I couldn’t feel its character. The Source, the Mini, the Micro, the Prodigy — these are machines I have, and they each have very distinct personalities, somewhat seperate from their actual feature set. The Memorymoog is like trying to corral a herd of bison. 

But the One felt…generic. Like the Lil Phatty.  

My experience was identical. I returned my Moog One 16v within the window and made my SW rep sad. To me the modular, the Mini, and even the Matriarch have that instant mojo. 

I have had owners tell me that the mojo can be dialed in but I didn't want to have to reach for it.

Moe

---

Moog One in its proper element:

The synth pays for itself via scoring fee. 😁😎

• Like 1

PD

There seems to be a discrepancy as to whether the One is or isn't in production. A statement from Moog in 3/24 suggests it is. A recent Reddit post says it isn't. 

Either way, after having owned one since 8/19 I can say that it is 90% the instrument I asked for. Not a screamer, more of a moaner. Silky smooth, impeccably built, a joy to play and program. I'm biased, of course. YMMV. 

Is it a Memorymoog? No. Is it a CS-80? Sometimes. Is it an OBXA? Depends on your patience. Is it glorious? Your call. 

They're in stock at Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, B&H, and possibly GC. Does that suggest discontinuation? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksoper said:

There seems to be a discrepancy as to whether the One is or isn't in production. A statement from Moog in 3/24 suggests it is. A recent Reddit post says it isn't. 

Either way, after having owned one since 8/19 I can say that it is 90% the instrument I asked for. Not a screamer, more of a moaner. Silky smooth, impeccably built, a joy to play and program. I'm biased, of course. YMMV. 

Is it a Memorymoog? No. Is it a CS-80? Sometimes. Is it an OBXA? Depends on your patience. Is it glorious? Your call. 

They're in stock at Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, B&H, and possibly GC. Does that suggest discontinuation? 

The word came from a reseller, who probably got the message from Moog/InMusic, for sure some larger dealers have stock, but when that's sold out it's over.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

12 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

The word came from a reseller, who probably got the message from Moog/InMusic, for sure some larger dealers have stock, but when that's sold out it's over.

I could ask my one remaining friend at Moog but at this point it really doesn't matter.   I do hope they continue supporting the firmware.  Even if they don't, the One works just fine for my purposes.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 11:19 AM, ProfD said:

Moog One in its proper element:

The synth pays for itself via scoring fee. 😁😎

That was a fun watch.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!