Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PSA - the last hurrah for iPad 9G? $250 at Best Buy, get them while they last

I don't work for Apple, just noticed this sale happening. The latest model used to be over $400, now it's $350 so maybe a tougher call. The 10G has USB-C which beats lightning, but I can attest to my 9G handling all my music-playing needs with ease - AUM's CPU meter hardly ever breaking 30% at a 64 sample buffer and multiple AUv3 plugins running. To me, having the headphone jack beats USB-C - and the 9G is the last Apple tablet with this jack. Others will see this differently of course. I know there are hubs that give you 3.5mm audio but I like the simplicity of one cable direct to my speakers. If funds are tight or you're just looking for an inexpensive way to get into the iOS music world, I think this is a pretty good deal. There are sale prices on other iPads too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/apple-ipad-sale-event

• Like 6

I hate that they got rid of the home button. I’m clinging to my iPad9 and iPhoneSE just for that. Forget Face ID.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I grabbed a 9G for the same motives, but have actually never used the headphones jack. However, that's due to having boards with usb audio built in (YC, CK, Keystage) so it is a handy option, but not one AI have needed yet. Was tempted by the 10g, it is not much faster but it would be great to ditch the Apple CCK.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Given how you use your iPad, I guess the 10G would be a better fit for you Paul - but who knew Apple would drop the price $100 back when you got your 9G?

Your headphone jack might come in handy some day - maybe an emergency situation where you don't have your regular keyboards, or a fly-in gig where you'd rather use a rental. Nothing like showing up with a iPad as your only piece of gear - that's traveling light!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Given how you use your iPad, I guess the 10G would be a better fit for you Paul - but who knew Apple would drop the price $100 back when you got your 9G?

Your headphone jack might come in handy some day - maybe an emergency situation where you don't have your regular keyboards, or a fly-in gig where you'd rather use a rental. Nothing like showing up with a iPad as your only piece of gear - that's traveling light!

Given that I might just hook it up to the Grandstage at some point and feed both into a Yamaha USB mixer, the headphone would be invaluable so….CCK is hardly a chore, just wish they had made a gen with USB C and headphone. I have a M2 Pro as well but that’s more power (and size) than I need just to run music apps.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Thanks for the heads up - I grabbed one for the 3.5 Jack as well. Nothing like a 2lb. Hammond👏

I usually use my mini 5 but a little more visual area never hurts.

• Like 2

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Given that I might just hook it up to the Grandstage at some point and feed both into a Yamaha USB mixer, the headphone would be invaluable

When your iPad is connected to the Grandstage and outputting audio via USB, you're saying the headphone jack is also available as a separate output? I thought iOS could only address one audio device.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

When your iPad is connected to the Grandstage and outputting audio via USB, you're saying the headphone jack is also available as a separate output? I thought iOS could only address one audio device.

Sorry, probably wasn’t clear. Grandstage doesn’t do audio over USB. I meant connect via USB (for MIDI) and feed the line outs from the GS and headphone from iPad into this little USB powered Yamaha mixer which can run off the second USB port on the GS. Bought this mixer as it has a separate stereo line in mini jack for the iPad 9G.
I have the Korg Keystage as a lightweight board that can work with just the iPad for practice etc. or can add the KS to the GS for a two board setup where the GS plays all the pianos and the KS plays the GS organs, synths, brass etc., or just expand the GS sounds with the iPad.
Plenty of options and, to take the sting out of this new deal, I only paid £200 for it brand new late last year. Couldn’t get a decent sound module for that price.

IMG_0415.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I don't work for Apple, just noticed this sale happening. The latest model used to be over $400, now it's $350 so maybe a tougher call. The 10G has USB-C which beats lightning, but I can attest to my 9G handling all my music-playing needs with ease - AUM's CPU meter hardly ever breaking 30% at a 64 sample buffer and multiple AUv3 plugins running. To me, having the headphone jack beats USB-C - and the 9G is the last Apple tablet with this jack. Others will see this differently of course. I know there are hubs that give you 3.5mm audio but I like the simplicity of one cable direct to my speakers. If funds are tight or you're just looking for an inexpensive way to get into the iOS music world, I think this is a pretty good deal. There are sale prices on other iPads too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/apple-ipad-sale-event

I dont work for Apple either, but I have had every iteration of iPad since it was first launched despite never owning an iPhone and only got a Mac Mini to replace a MBP for Logic Pro duties. My latest is the last gen M2 Pro which, I am ashamed to say has had little use since I bought it. Reason being that I picked up a 9G iPad as a 'sound module' and have posted numerous threads about how flexible a device the iPad is. I use mine for artwork (reason I bought the M2 Pro version), for 3D design/CAD, music, notes, email, web surfing, music player, youtube, just about everything really making the M2 a but redundant other than when I am doing online training in sketching and rendering.

Imagine if the iPad had been developed alongside keyboard tech at the start of the rompler/workstation era, we might now take it for granted that its essentially a configurable sound board where we can load up a Moog, Roland or Korg synth as well as acoustic instruments. Not to mention the weird and wonderful music making apps that aren't on other keyboards.

I guess this price equates to around £200 which is a bargain for what is still a very capable device.

• Like 1

Just daydreaming: I'm still waiting for the keyboard controller with a slot for an iPad, containing a dock or quick-connect to its USB-C port for power and audio - stick it on the board and go. Put one or two of those rechargeable powerbanks in the board so no power worries during a gig. Eliminating the dongle, its associated cabling (and a mounting clip), would make setup & teardown a lot easier and quicker imo. I volunteer to beta test this keyboard. 🙂 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Just daydreaming: I'm still waiting for the keyboard controller with a slot for an iPad, containing a dock or quick-connect to its USB-C port for power and audio - stick it on the board and go. Put one or two of those rechargeable powerbanks in the board so no power worries during a gig. Eliminating the dongle, its associated cabling (and a mounting clip), would make setup & teardown a lot easier and quicker imo. I volunteer to beta test this keyboard. 🙂 

With waterfall keys, pitch lever, mod wheel, nine sliders on LEFT side and......I'll think of more.

• Like 3

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

This is what I have with the Keystage which actually runs off the iPads power and it has a dedicated stand (not quite a slot). Just plug in a cable and I have a 4kg synth/workstation with poly aftertouch, pedals and line outs to speakers or Pa.

4 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Of course. A controller with a built-in audio interface (and a slot to hold a tablet) is obviously a winner. USB-powered (battery option is a nice tough) with pass-through power to the iPad. 

I think there are a couple of options with built-in audio interface, but none that will power an iPad.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone would want a battery powered keyboard that would also charge an iPad when it would run the batteries down in no time, while the iPad can run for a good 5-6 hours while powering the keyboard??

33 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

the iPad can run for a good 5-6 hours while powering the keyboard??

My iPad 9G can't power my A800 Pro on its battery - I immediately get the "not enough power" alert. Strange because according to the manual the A800 draws 300ma - not that much. Your Keystage must be very stingy with its current draw.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I use a powered hub.

I connect the CCK to the iPad's 20-watt charging cube or a 10000 mAh battery bank. No issues with powering the keyboard or keeping the iPad charged then.

56 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I connect the CCK to the iPad's 20-watt charging cube or a 10000 mAh battery bank. No issues with powering the keyboard or keeping the iPad charged then.

I frequently use a D9x or an audiofront midi translator or whatever pretty colored plastic box the situation might suggest. So I prefer to have my power node closer to the usb accessories that at the CCK although ultimately it would work the same for me either way.

FunMachine.

10 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

My iPad 9G can't power my A800 Pro on its battery - I immediately get the "not enough power" alert. Strange because according to the manual the A800 draws 300ma - not that much. Your Keystage must be very stingy with its current draw.

Worth noting that the Keystage is only meant to power from a USB C equipped iPad (I according to the manual), but if I power the iPad 9G up before connecting the KS, after a few seconds it magically powers up and I have played for a good few hours with plenty of juice left. I also have the CCK with the pass through power so could connect a charger if necessary. Would certainly be an option to add some juice to an iPad between sets if you did want to go mains free.

If I recall, my A800 ran off the same iPad. Had two and the first never had an adaptor, might be imagining it of course (it’s my age). You do have the switch set to USB power on the board?

8 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

if I power the iPad 9G up before connecting the KS, after a few seconds it magically powers up and I have played for a good few hours with plenty of juice left. I also have the CCK with the pass through power so could connect a charger if necessary.

Just to be clear - you're always using the CCK with your iPad 9G and Keystage? Your wording "I also have the CCK" suggests you might be connecting directly from the KS to the iPad with a USB to lightning cable some or all of the time. I don't have such a cable so I always use the CCK. Maybe the CCK is using enough current for itself that the A800 tips things over the edge so I get the "not enough power" alert.

• Like 1

Probably just how I word things. I do have the connector that has the power through option (Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adaptor) but I havent needed to use it, so I am connecting here with the standard CCK (lighting to USB) and a standard 'printer' style USB cable. It doesnt power up my Keystage straight away like it does using a USB-C with the Pro, but weirdly it does work despite Korg saying it won't...it just takes a few seconds after connecting to sprint to life, certainly long enough for someone to decide it isnt working, but I walked away once and there it was when I returned so now I just wait.

Do you mind checking at some point (no rush!): what happens if you use the USB3 CCK with the power unconnected? Does it work like your standard CCK? If not, maybe the standard CCK will let me use my A800 without external power, like yours. That would be great.

• Like 1

I'm away until Friday, but will give it a whirl then. Alas, I don't have an A800 any more to try as well.

• Like 1

I'm seriously tempted to get one (but the 256GB, $379 at Costco). I wish they had 128GB. I feel like 64GB would get filled fairly quickly, between apps and songs.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

So, first I forgot about this and update to the IpadOS 18 beta so the results may already be skewed.

So I connect the standard (just USB socket) CCK and I got a warning that the device was not supported on this iPad. Disconnected, reconnected and the Keystage powered up. I recall something similar with the A800 (after a warning, it connected).

Tried it with the USB 3CCK that has the lightning power through and nothing at all, but then again I would only be using that if I was connecting a power supply so I guess that is how it is wired up. Hope that helps.

Maybe see if a friend can lend you the original CCK and see if that works for you 🙂

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Disconnected, reconnected and the Keystage powered up. I recall something similar with the A800 (after a warning, it connected).

The question I have is, would it stay powered up for the entire gig? The only way to find out is to try it, I suppose. Life on he edge!

I was doing an AWB gig with my iPhone instead of laptop - with the CCK attached to power, but as I recall it was a 3rd-party power adapter. Suddenly I'm playing notes, but there's no sound - I look at my A800's LCD and it's dark. Two seconds later it comes to life and one second after that I'm back in business. This happened once more during that gig. I stopped using 3rd party adapters after that (it was a 45-watter, more than enough capacity). SInce then I've used the 20-watt cube I got with my iPad 9G and have not experienced this.

I appreciate you taking the time to check things out. I'm going to stay with my power cube and CCK, and for the times where AC power is not close, I have a 10000 mAh battery bank that I've used on a few gigs - it powers the A800 and keeps the iPad or iPhone charged. I don't want to be thinking about possible power issues while I'm doing a gig.

I played for about an hour one evening and it dropped about 10-15% so, unless your iPad battery is on the way out, you should easily get a few sets out of it. You could always juice it up somewhere between sets? If I were gigging (and I had the choice) I would always want some mains power at hand....