Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ENSONIQ: Let's talk about this great American synth manufacturer

Just saw this post - I've been away for two weeks.

Glad to see so many positive remarks and I understand why some folks felt otherwise about Ensoniq products. Thanks to the musicians who bought our products and put their trust in us.  Customers were Ensoniq's highest priority.  

I started with Ensoniq in October 1984, about three months prior to the first Mirage shipments.  It was an interesting ride and I learned much about management, operations and customer trends.  Ensoniq's best feature was the company culture - employees were urged to do the right thing.  Many people who worked at Ensoniq still say it was the best job they ever had. 

I was the 16th employee; those early days were long and productive.  We worked 6 days a week often and sometimes came back to the office late at night after eating dinner at home.  It felt great to be part of a high-tech startup.  We were on a mission to disrupt the industry and make sampling affordable.

Here's an old photo from December 1984.  L to R - Robin Weber, myself and Dan Garrett. 

The Mirage’s guts are featured - Dan is pointing to the Q-Chip.  We were three young and optimistic managers who believed great things were about to happen. 

Ensoniq-RobinW-SteveC-DanG-1984-Revised.JPG

• Like 12
  • Love 7

Steve Coscia

On 6/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

In the past month, I stumbled upon a badly beat up ESQ-1 with four broken keys for $100 and an EPS for free. I repaired the ESQ-1 (the actual keybed was broken, but I made my own replacement parts out of pin headers), replaced the battery, and loaded some cool sounds into it.

I had an ESQ-1 in the 80's, and got some good mileage out of it.   I remember the nice warm sound (which I assume had a lot to do with the filter).

One memory I have is sequencing David Sanborn's '87 hit Chicago Song on it.  That song was big in '87.  I sequenced a version of it on ESQ-1, minus saxophone, and it was good.  I wrote a sax chart for it, and tried to get people to play it on gigs.  A really good player I know, a Sanborn fan, commented how good the ESQ-1 sounded.

It wasn't the easiest sequencer to use.  That was early days for sequencers.   As I recall, I had to break the song up into 4 and/or 8 bar chunks, then string them together - I can't remember the details, just that it was labour-intensive. 

I never had reliability issues, but then again, I carried it in a decent hard case, and it was local gigging.  I think I had it for a couple of years.

• Like 1

I just recalled the great mileage I got from some Three Stooges and Tonight Show sounds on an FX disk. Some would see it as weak sauce now, but back then, ending a piece with some Stooge chuckles was a winner. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

6 hours ago, tapes said:

You sure? I’m talking about the ”L.A. Riot” series, volumes 1 & 2. There are definitely some patches/folders under his name. 

1) That was not a Signature Series release, done by a third party (Chronic Interactive if I recall)

2) He was name checked, not involved…

4 hours ago, SteveCoscia said:

Glad to see so many positive remarks and I understand why some folks felt otherwise about Ensoniq products. Thanks to the musicians who bought our products and put their trust in us.  Customers were Ensoniq's highest priority.  

I started with Ensoniq in October 1984, about three months prior to the first Mirage shipments.  It was an interesting ride and I learned much about management, operations and customer trends.  Ensoniq's best feature was the company culture - employees were urged to do the right thing.  Many people who worked at Ensoniq still say it was the best job they ever had. 

I was the 16th employee; those early days were long and productive.  We worked 6 days a week often and sometimes came back to the office late at night after eating dinner at home.  It felt great to be part of a high-tech startup.  We were on a mission to disrupt the industry and make sampling affordable.

Here's an old photo from December 1984.  L to R - Robin Weber, myself and Dan Garrett. 

The Mirage’s guts are featured - Dan is pointing to the Q-Chip.  We were three young and optimistic managers who believed great things were about to happen. 

Great pic! You were one of the great things about the company, my friend. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SteveCoscia said:

Must have been a fun time to be working in that company, so much potential for Ensoniq. I had just bought my first synth, a Korg Poly 800, around that time! Oh, how I remember the managers wearing those suit vests in the 80’s! And those ties! It was still years before the Jerry Garcia ties come out and all we had were crappy ones until then! I look around at my modern office and not even a tie to be seen! 

• Like 1

Working in a synth/keyboard store in the 90's in parallel with my musicianship, I remember the Ensoniq machines as very musical, several of our pro player customers were using the KS, TS, KT, and MR machines if I remember the "names" correct, I recall the TS and the MR, including the MR Rack, being very popular. Soundwise they were ime always more "raw", ie. not so polished, and kind of the same raw I feel we have in Kurzweil's machines as well, we used to call it "American" vs. "Japanese" style comparing the three big ones with Ensoniq and Kurzweil..

;)

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 6/11/2024 at 11:49 AM, My Keys And Me Are Vintage said:

Must have been a fun time to be working in that company, so much potential for Ensoniq. I had just bought my first synth, a Korg Poly 800, around that time! 

Yes it was a fun time with boatloads of potential.  I moved from NY to PA and was thrust into a whole new life, professionally and personally.  Unicord (pre-KORG USA) was where I previously worked and the Poly 800 was a major home run.  Keyboard technology advanced quickly in the early 1980s.  Many good memories.

• Like 2

Steve Coscia

On a recent band road trip I pulled up the Dixie Dregs' "Bring it Back Alive" album. As I recall, T Lavitz used a ton of Ensoniq gear for that album, but I haven't been able to find a list anywhere.

(Tip: For non-city dwellers, "Assembly Line" isn't the most calming music to listen to while negotiating DMV traffic.)

As for me, I have owned an SPM-1 Sampled Piano Module, an ESQ-M, an E-Prime, and a ZR-76. I wish I still had them all (except for the SPM-1, which had limited polyphony for its purpose).

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of this awesome company I've recently uploaded an Ensoniq SQ80 Sereis playlist to my channel showing editing basics via their speedy UI (everything 1 or 2 button presses or data slider away) plus it's basic but so very fun onboard sequencer.

**Dripping in Meris? You bet.** (that company's awesome too).

• Like 4

I've been on the hunt for a writeable cartridge for the SQ80 but unfortunately the vintage ones are getting very expensive. I just found this DIY solution. I'm hoping they get more stock soon.

https://www.tindie.com/products/zensynth/oshdiy-ensoniq-esq-1sq-80-eeprom-cartridge/

I also found this one on eBay, a 16 in 1 cartrdige, which appears to be what @JoJoB3 is using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145448468550

And finally there's this one, which is a 64 in 1. It's kind of expensive but pretty amazing you access 64 banks in one cartridge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/296297872787

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I've been on the hunt for a writeable cartridge for the SQ80 but unfortunately the vintage ones are getting very expensive. I just found this DIY solution. I'm hoping they get more stock soon.

https://www.tindie.com/products/zensynth/oshdiy-ensoniq-esq-1sq-80-eeprom-cartridge/

I also found this one on eBay, a 16 in 1 cartrdige, which appears to be what @JoJoB3 is using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145448468550

And finally there's this one, which is a 64 in 1. It's kind of expensive but pretty amazing you access 64 banks in one cartridge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/296297872787

Yes, have that same 16 in 1  (ebay). Mighty nifty and swift for an old 80's board.  I bet you'll make an even more capable DIY.

They should work the same on the ESQ1 btw

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Yes, have that same 16 in 1  (ebay). Mighty nifty and swift for an old 80's board.  I bet you'll make an even more capable DIY.

They should work the same on the ESQ1 btw

Hey @JoJoB3 - this sounds real good. Nice warm ambiance. 

The ESQ-1 is a powerful synth for its time - Ensoniq sold a boatload.  The ESQ-1's inception happened after the Mirage's market disruption. Sampling became more mainstream thanks to the Mirage's affordability and Ensoniq sensed that the three overseas keyboard competitors would shift their R & D towards new samplers.  While they were busy developing new samplers, Ensoniq developed a killer synth/workstation.  The ESQ-1 was S/W intensive and numerous OS EPROM versions were issued. It was hard to keep with all the revisions.  I think we finally settled on OS 3.5 or thereabouts.

• Like 2

Steve Coscia