Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - portable trombone - who knew?

Also check out: the Venova, a smaller Sax-tone instrument, born out of Physical Modeling experiments:

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

How I feel everytime I play a polysynth with only four octaves.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I hear intonation/pitch problems in that piccolo trombone vid. I also hear intonation/pitch problems in the Venova vid. You really don't need those things. I researched the Venova before. I've also seen the guy in the vid review other instruments. He's very good. I early on concluded that the Venova was not worth my time or money. I have several types of wind synths (electronic/digital wind controllers), some have onboard speakers and are battery powered for complete portability and play anywhere. I'd suggest one of those in place of the piccolo trombone or the Venova. Or instead of the Venova, get a good quality alto or soprano sax. Problem solved. Or just play a recorder. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:33 AM, RABid said:

I always thought a portable trombone was a valve trombone.

Still thinking about getting one of those plastic trombones.

We have one, my wife noodles on it.  It's honestly not bad at all.

My son started on trumpet, got his introduction to trombone by using a valve trombone, after a year or two ditched the valve trombone in favor of a regular slide trombone (and he still plays trumpet as his primary).

While he was still using the valve trombone he brought it to a School of Rock rehearsal, and the bandleader there said "the valve trombone is an instrument that never should have been invented".

While I don't share the same harsh opinion, that line became a running inside joke between my son and I.

3 hours ago, harmonizer said:

While he was still using the valve trombone he brought it to a School of Rock rehearsal, and the bandleader there said "the valve trombone is an instrument that never should have been invented".

While I don't share the same harsh opinion, that line became a running inside joke between my son and I.

There are basically far too many instruments that are essentially a big trumpet down the octave.

Cheers, Mike.