Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT New in this years Olympics

So the Paris Olympic in continuing to try and attract younger people as they have with BMX, skateboarding, and similar Winter Olympics events this year they add Break Dancing complete with DJs.  Below is a link to an article.     Boy the Olympics have come a long way from a bunch of naked men running, pumping big rocks and wrestling each other

Article on Break Dancing in the Olympics....

• Haha 1

On the surface it seems a bit odd putting breakdancing in. I means it’s dancing, I don’t see that as a sport. But there’s no doubting the hours, months and years of effort in people perfecting their routines.

It’s not too far removed from the floor routines in gymnastics so yeah why not include it?

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

• 2 months later...

I am not nearly offended by the inclusion of breakdancing as an Olympic event, as I am by the inclusion of Chinese swimmers know to be using performance-enhancing drugs in international competitions.

The new Olympic slogan should be: Citius, Altius, Fortius, Cum Medicinae

8 minutes ago, JamPro said:

I am not nearly offended by the inclusion of breakdancing as an Olympic event, as I am by the inclusion of Chinese swimmers know to be using performance-enhancing drugs in international competitions.

No different than other countries over the years.    I used to be a big cycling fan and remember how the 1984 US team was suddenly kicking ass in the Olympics.   Eventually it leaked out they were blood packing (I forget the exact term) and not long after that blood packing was banned.   Seems like every year some sport some team suddenly becomes unbeatable and the sports community digs in to it and find out about a new performance enhancing drug or process and bans it.  It's all part of the game of life. 

Just watched the women’s 100M breaststroke, the U.S. swimmer lost out on a medal by 1/100th of a second.  I noticed she was wearing earrings.  Thinking those earrings might have caused some infinitesimal amount of drag, she should have taken them off before the race.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

2 hours ago, JamPro said:

you're saying a cum doctor should be part of the new slogan?  Fantastic idea!

• Haha 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

15 hours ago, TommyRude said:

I’m thinking a new event..  Olympic Fishing.  You could have all sorts of categories, species, kinda like boxing - from flyweight to heavyweight.

Fly-fishing, welter-fishing, bantam-fishing, heavy-fishing? It's a yes from me!

Cheers, mike.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, analogika said:

Lance Armstrong wasn't Chinese, either, to my recollection. 

Luckily he got his punishment in the end, tricky bastard, leaving France for Spain when the French decided to forbid doping, says everything about him...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

16 hours ago, analogika said:

Lance Armstrong wasn't Chinese, either, to my recollection. 

I recently finished watching a two-part series on Netflix about Lance Armstrong.  His interviews make up a large portion of the the content.  He acknowledges using performance-enhancing drugs as a new and rising star even before his cancer diagnosis and treatment.  He lists the banned drugs he took: anabolic steroids, growth hormone, erythropioetin, B-blockers, diuretics, pretty much everything available.  He acknowledges using his fame, influence, and star-power later in his career to ruin the lives of others in the bicycling sport who (rightfully) accused him of cheating - he even cites some of those he victimized by name.  There is a lot of talk about how wonderful his cancer advocacy charity was and how much money for cancer treatments he raised.  After watching the series, I felt I had a good idea of his dynamic, energetic, and magnetic personality, and what an utterly wretched, filthy, lying scum-bag he is.

I recommend the series for those interested.

Not new, but most exciting and dangerous. Defending gold medalist Carrisa Moore, in the last event of her career and Jack Robinson knowing he nailed it. Gabriel Medina, not Jack Robinson, sorry Gabriel. I was caught up in Robinson vs Florence.

Carissa1.jpg.a625271375cf5741e5a10bca81a695f0.jpgGettyImages-2163817418-1024x681.jpg.d432f78929c31ad75b785cc33c3a584c.jpg

• Like 1

Jennifer S.

I’m just there for Simone Biles. Her Netflix special was a lot more honest than most at her level would be and I found it refreshing. Hoping she has the Olympic comeback she deserves.

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

7 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Teahupo'o is on my bucket list, maybe I should reconsider. Or do it last, just in case.🙂

Tow in… trying to paddle in when it’s big seems like the most brutal pounding imagineable, what an insane slab

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Oh... FFS... Break dancing??? I'm good with skateboarding but what's next Olympic Speed Texting? Give me a break. Leave that "sport" for dance competitions. 

• Haha 1

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

I'm torn between rooting for Turbo or Ozone to get the gold...

(Yes I somehow remember those characters 30 or 40 or whatever years later it has been....)

Nothing more serious than a standoff between teams of break dancers.  The jets and the sharks didn't need to worry about getting robotted to death....  Skating on thin ice there, BluesB3.....

• Like 1

The *womens* boxing match between Algeria and Italy that ended in 46 seconds with the Italian fighter tapping out has an  interesting background. More testing required.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 hours ago, ProfD said:

The *womens* boxing match between Algeria and Italy that ended in 46 seconds with the Italian fighter tapping out has an  interesting background. More testing required.😎

I read a couple articles and posts about the Algerian woman.   She was born female, but she has a rare disease that causes a massive over production of testosterone in her body. same with that Asian fighter.  So some women's boxing organizations are saying it not fair for her to fight normal women because she's a genetic freak for lack of a better term.    

• Like 1

Most high schools in my area have a fishing team. They compete in state and national events. There is a bit of an odd quirk to it. While most sporting events are fan viewed, no one goes to a fishing tournament. Are you going to drive 30 to 300 miles just to stand on shore and wait for the return of the contestants so you can view the weigh in? It is not like pro fishing where you have a camera on every boat to catch the action.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

I read a couple articles and posts about the Algerian woman.   She was born female, but she has a rare disease that causes a massive over production of testosterone in her body. same with that Asian fighter.  So some women's boxing organizations are saying it not fair for her to fight normal women because she's a genetic freak for lack of a better term.    

Since the reports about XY chromosomes and trans- or inter-status seem to all be completely fictitious, it comes down to a worldwide competition to see who is fastest or strongest attracting people who are genetically predisposed to being fastest or strongest. 

Quelle surprise! 

Add a Russian-led and Gazprom-sponsored disgraced International Boxing Association, a seed of possible transgender, a bit of framing it as male-on-female-violence, social media's propensity towards disseminating minority hatred and rage-bait, an unhealthy obsession by some with the genitals of others, and YOWZA. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Well, she has lost something like nine times.  Sure, test away, not like the Olympics don't have a long history of banned substances being used by certain parties especially.

An unhealthy obsession is quite the understatement!

I'm ditching cable but I still have it for a day or so!  Got to watch the women's soccer game today, good stuff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

I did enjoy seeing a Turkish marksman show up in minimal gear, left hand in pocket, air pistol in other aim down sight and take a Silver.
Kinda outlines things in a way.

He’s a recent divorcee. I suspect he imagines a picture of his ex’s new crush on the target…

Cheers, Mike

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

He’s a recent divorcee. I suspect he imagines a picture of his ex’s new crush on the target…

Cheers, Mike

No, he's not. That was a satirical post. "Sharon, I want the dog" is a sentence which literally only works in America. (It was very, very funny, though.)

He's an ex-officer of the military police with a degree in sports science who's been shooting competitively for 25 years. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

12 minutes ago, analogika said:

No, he's not. That was a satirical post. "Sharon, I want the dog" is a sentence which literally only works in America. (It was very, very funny, though.)

Shame. I didn't hear the "Sharon", which would have given the game away.

Cheers, Mike.