Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-3c vs. XK-5 ..... tone, Leslie sim, nothing else

I would like to hear your expert opinions on how the tone and the Leslie sim compares between these two Hammonds.  Don't really care about keybed, action, features, percussion, etc.  Just tone and Leslie sim quality.  I heard an XK-5 in person yesterday and LOVED the tone, very rich and ballsy and I thought the Leslie sim was decent.  Not great, but good enough especially in a band setting (worship service with vocals drums and guitars all through the mix).

Thanks in advance.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Hammond player with Leslie since 1981.  XK-3c owner for 9 years, played the XK-5 at NAMM 2023.  Hammond-Suzuki keeps improving the Leslie sim with each model.  The XK-3c animation and tone is very good, the XK-5 animation is more accurate but missing the tube overdrive of the XK-3c (digital overdrive of XK-5 sounds too ratty).

• Like 2

The xk3c is a couple of generations behind. The leslie sim is passable but not at a  "leave the vent at home" level. The later HamSuz stuff is almost "sell the vent" . But the other stuff that really separates isn't the tonewheel sound so much but it's if you like the CV and percussion.  

• Love 1

FunMachine.

The multi-contact simulation of the XK5 is arguably part of its tone, to the extent that it makes an audible difference.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, The Real MC said:

Hammond player with Leslie since 1981.  XK-3c owner for 9 years, played the XK-5 at NAMM 2023.  Hammond-Suzuki keeps improving the Leslie sim with each model.  The XK-3c animation and tone is very good, the XK-5 animation is more accurate but missing the tube overdrive of the XK-3c (digital overdrive of XK-5 sounds too ratty).

Can concur with the above. Also I'm one of the odd one's that desires the mod wheels of the XK3c. Plus - it's paid for. I pref the real rig as often as possible anyway.
The percussion and keyclick on the 3c aren't the latest and greatest imho but still usable espec with a vintage 122  (internal sim, or Gsi Burn otherwise).

I may update to the XK5 soon if not for the multi-contact sim alone.   I do NOT dig the "updated" H-bus nor the setup and format now involved with the XK5 lower manual.  Looks like an even tougher load and setup (Hello? This is supposed to be made better/easier in cloneland, no?).
The XK3c w XLK for example uses standard midi cables, packs up slimmer and sets up easier/better. At a show is not a great time to find a damaged H-bus cable - but a midi cable? Way more survivable.

The original XK3 leslie sim was pretty bad and I think that's what most refer to. The updated leslie sim on the XK3c can be made to sound quite decent however (still just a sim).
Example

2 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

The xk3c is a couple of generations behind. The leslie sim is passable but not at a  "leave the vent at home" level. The later HamSuz stuff is almost "sell the vent" . But the other stuff that really separates isn't the tonewheel sound so much but it's if you like the CV and percussion.  

I think the HK XK-3c/5 emulate my 760 pretty well, but not a 122.  I got a Vent II pedal and I agree it does a very good 122 simulation.

10 hours ago, drawback said:

Why aren’t you considering the XK4? 

This.  Its cheaper than an XK5 and has the latest tonewheel modeling engine and an excellent leslie.  At this point if you are considering an xk5 you should be seriously considering the xk4.

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Personally I think non of the Hammond Suzuki organs worth the money. But if I could make the case for one it would definitely the XK-4 (I'd still prefer to buy a Mojo 61 or a Viscount Soul in their comparative categories though over the H-S stuff).  Between the XK-5 and the XK-3c I see 0 reason to get the older gen model. Not to mention even the XK-5 has been aging quite quickly in comparison to newer hardware and software.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Mojo's build quality isn't great. I returned two of them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, Chummy said:

Not to mention even the XK-5 has been aging quite quickly in comparison to newer hardware

Which one ?

I don't see any hardware clonewheel on the market sounding better.....

It's expensive, yes, but.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

@M_G Even just from hammond, you have the XK-4 with MTW2 tonewheel engine which is an improvement on the XK-5's according to Hammond themselves. Better leslie, etc. This is an apples to apples comparison. For apples vs. oranges - You also have the Viscount Soul with 9 points of contact which are more "juicy" than the 3 Hammond offers. Obviously there's a lot of subjectivety involved when comparing such parameters but one thing's for sure - The XK-5 is not a good value for money proposition taking into account what else is on the market. 

P.S also the HX-3 IMHO sounds better than the XK-5

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Longtime XK3c user here. Just about to put mine up for sale in fact.

I wasn't a fan of the Leslie sim but always used it with a Motion Sound KBR3d so I really didn't care!

I did have one gig where the sound guy ripped the control TRS jack out of the Motion Sound amp so I had to use the XK3c's leslie sim and it was just fine and I doubt anyone noticed but me, including my band mates.

I use a Nord Stage now so I'm not bringing two organs to the gig. The Nord is better for some things and definitely has a better leslie, but there were certain tones that XK3c+KBR3d just nailed. Had a really nice top end sizzle when you had all the drawbars out.

I've never tried the XK5.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff