Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88/CP73 OS v1.6

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/cp88_cp73_os.html

"V1.50 to V1.60

New features

A new “Sound” function has been included in SETTINGS, with these additional parameters: “Mono/Poly”, “Portamento”, and “Pan”.

The “Touch Sensitivity” parameter has been moved to “Sound”.

Fixed problems

Fixed minor problems."   

You can now send your split patches out the left or right output for recording to separate tracks, sending to different amplification, or in the case of the organ - send just the organ to a rotary pedal (also helps as a workaround for wanting both rotary and distortion on at the same time).  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Wow, I thought I had read (maybe it was just speculation) in the CP88/73 thread that they had ended support or at least updates for these boards. Glad to know they haven't let them fall by the wayside! I love my CP88.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I honestly thought this board was done for upgrades. I wonder if the YC’s will get an update this year.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I honestly thought this board was done for upgrades. I wonder if the YC’s will get an update this year.

Hope so! I own both the YC and CP. My main complaint with these boards is the limited number of patch storage memories, so I have to overwrite the factory patches to have enough user patches saved. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

3 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Wow, I thought I had read (maybe it was just speculation) in the CP88/73 thread that they had ended support or at least updates for these boards. Glad to know they haven't let them fall by the wayside! I love my CP88.

It is definitely my favorite speakerless slab piano of the last decade or more.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stefan011 said:

Great news! The mono synth should have been implemented a long time ago but better late than never.

Yeah, while I never bring the CP88 out *for* the synth, having that option makes the synth samples much more *usable* when they're needed. I'm already wishing this upgrade had existed in January when I played in the band for a rock choir (really) and the only place on that two-board rig that made sense to pull up the synth lead in Roundabout was on the CP88.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

2 hours ago, Dave Keys said:

Hope so! I own both the YC and CP. My main complaint with these boards is the limited number of patch storage memories, so I have to overwrite the factory patches to have enough user patches saved. 

You can save/load Live Sets to USB (individually, in their banks, or complete libraries) and restore as needed (e.g. if you need different sets for different shows/bands). 

How many factory Live Sets do you really find useful? After all, they're basically just combinations of voices that are still available to you even after you overwrite those patches. Sure, in different combinations, with different effects or whatever, but I see those kinds of things more as samples of things you can do. The odds that you'd choose very many of them for a song seem kinda small. My inclination would be to maybe keep a few that really caught your ear, and offload all the rest to a backup stick to free the spaces for the useful things you assemble yourself. IOW, I don't see over-writing factory live sets as a loss, both because you can always restore them, and also because of how few you're every likely to really use (in addition to not having "unique" sounds, but just being combinations/tweaks of the stock voices that are always in the board anyway).

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

49 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

You can save/load Live Sets to USB (individually, in their banks, or complete libraries) and restore as needed (e.g. if you need different sets for different shows/bands). 

How many factory Live Sets do you really find useful? After all, they're basically just combinations of voices that are still available to you even after you overwrite those patches. Sure, in different combinations, with different effects or whatever, but I see those kinds of things more as samples of things you can do. The odds that you'd choose very many of them for a song seem kinda small. My inclination would be to maybe keep a few that really caught your ear, and offload all the rest to a backup stick to free the spaces for the useful things you assemble yourself. IOW, I don't see over-writing factory live sets as a loss, both because you can always restore them, and also because of how few you're every likely to really use (in addition to not having "unique" sounds, but just being combinations/tweaks of the stock voices that are always in the board anyway).

The board is so quick to make tweaks on, you can usually dial in some of those sounds in seconds, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manolios said:

No new sounds???

Not that I am aware of, I will install later this evening I hope.  Ability to pan sounds was definitely on my list, but so was fleshing out missing sounds (lack of a harp was surprising).   Still a good sound set for a stage piano and the quality of sounds is better than a lot of other options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manolios said:

No new sounds???

You thought a 3 year gap in OS updates would result in new sounds???    

🤣

😂

😄

.🙂

😐

☹️

😢

😭

🍺

🥴

• Like 1

TBH while Id love to hear some new sounds (Rhodes MKV for example), Im pretty satisfied with what is already there. It might be because Kurzweil Fortre I used before offered only two piano samples 🙂

Curious to see they still put out updates tho it was supposed to be every 3-6 months in the early days. Hasn’t been one in a while so I figured the CP series was consigned to the archives. Nothing there that I would consider useful. Few extra sounds would have been more useful. At least they’re still supporting it tho. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

5 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

CK88 CK61 could sure use some update love.

Curious what you hope to see in an update other than bug fixes. Not sure if the sounds can be added to like the YC.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

4 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Curious what you hope to see in an update other than bug fixes. Not sure if the sounds can be added to like the YC.

better midi implementation of the buttons.  been awhile since i did the deep dive, but other than drawbars/leslie, using any of the CK buttons for changes to to VB3m is either a painful kludge or not possible (e.g. chorus on/off).  again, been awhile, but something wasn't cool that should be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I don’t know if it’s possible but I’d love the ability to pan the L/R outputs to separate mixer channels or effect boxes,aka Neo Ventilator.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ewall08530 said:

I don’t know if it’s possible but I’d love the ability to pan the L/R outputs to separate mixer channels or effect boxes,aka Neo Ventilator.  

They just did it on the CP.  I can’t imagine it wouldn’t arrive in the next YC update. 

24 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

They just did it on the CP.  I can’t imagine it wouldn’t arrive in the next YC update. 

It was already done in the last YC update, a year ago. I think ewal meant he hoped they would bring it to the CK.

As good as it is, there are a good number of improvements I'd like to see come to the CK. I'm not counting on any updates, but I'm hopeful. 🙂

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

22 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It was already done in the last YC update, a year ago. I think ewal meant he hoped they would bring it to the CK.

As good as it is, there are a good number of improvements I'd like to see come to the CK. I'm not counting on any updates, but I'm hopeful. 🙂

Ah ha!  

Does the CP have flash ram for its OS? They have a USB port for this purpose? 

On 5/16/2024 at 6:06 PM, Paul Woodward said:

Well in the UK the retail price of the YC has jumped up to almost Nord level. I am hoping they will be bring an update that makes it worthy of that price. 

• Like 1

Not worth that sort of price, especially the 61 with that keybed. I paid £900 for my first YC61, £700 for the second and couldn't live with the clacky keybed on either. Shame as the rest of the board is great.

27 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Not worth that sort of price, especially the 61 with that keybed. I paid £900 for my first YC61, £700 for the second and couldn't live with the clacky keybed on either. Shame as the rest of the board is great.

Pricing around the globe is bizarre.   

Nord Stage 88 - $5699 USD, 4.694 €

YC88 - $3,149.99,  2.866 €

Kurzweil K2700 - $2,999, 2.669 €

Yamaha seems to make the most sense.  

🤷‍♂️

On 5/17/2024 at 2:58 PM, Stefan011 said:

TBH while Id love to hear some new sounds (Rhodes MKV for example), Im pretty satisfied with what is already there. It might be because Kurzweil Fortre I used before offered only two piano samples 🙂

One of the main things when getting a Forte is that you can add almost anything you want… I had my Scarbee Wurlitzer loaded in mine for instance, as well as a couple of upright pianos. 

4 hours ago, Analogaddict said:

One of the main things when getting a Forte is that you can add almost anything you want… I had my Scarbee Wurlitzer loaded in mine for instance, as well as a couple of upright pianos. 

I have sampled a few mono synths for Forte and sampling EP or AP would be WAY above my technical ability. But I was also looking for something more portable and CP73 is great for the most of my needs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Pricing around the globe is bizarre.   

Nord Stage 88 - $5699 USD, 4.694 €

YC88 - $3,149.99,  2.866 €

Kurzweil K2700 - $2,999, 2.669 €

Yamaha seems to make the most sense.  

🤷‍♂️

Screenshot2024-05-19at21_08_01.thumb.png.16751b9511afc4ad9fa235b9bdaf363b.png

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Was ist los in London?  It should be 2.45 pound sterling.

The YC88 is available from a number of places at £2499. YML's £3698 is way off beam, presumably an error.

Cheers, Mike.