Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Pro 11 New Features - Mac and iPad Pro

“Logic Pro takes music-making to the next level with new AI features

Session Players, Stem Splitter, and ChromaGlow make Logic Pro for iPad and Mac smarter than ever”

”Session Players: A Personalized AI-Driven Backing Band”

”Stem Splitter: Recover Great Recordings”

”ChromaGlow: Dial in the Perfect Tone”

“Logic Pro for Mac 11 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users and for $199.99 (U.S.) for new users on the Mac App Store. Logic Pro for Mac 11 requires macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/logic-pro.”

“Logic Pro for iPad 2 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users, and available on the App Store for $4.99(U.S.) per month or $49 (U.S.) per year, with a one-month free trial for new users. Logic Pro for iPad 2 requires iPadOS 17.4 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad.”

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/logic-pro-takes-music-making-to-the-next-level-with-new-ai-features/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Cool, I can update for free on Mac, but still wish there was an outright purchase for iPad (and discounted)...

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Going to interesting to see how Apple stem separator is in comparison to the others available now.     I have Logic Pro for Mac, but haven't used it in a long time, been spending my time in Ableton.   Okay Ableton get your butt in gear everyone else has stem separator but you!!!!    Apple site says the session player was trained on 1000 of hours of bass players, I sure hope it did a deep study on James Jamerson, Chuck Rainey and Ron Carter.  Okay, okay and have to have some Bootsy baby. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

AI AI AI AI AI AI AI

"Our new toilet paper has AI!"  

Ugh.  But everyone else seems to love it, so carry on!  

We can only dream of automated ass wiping trained on 1000 of the best ass wipers in history.  Now that is a future worth staying for.  

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Apple site says the session player was trained on 1000 of hours of bass players, I sure hope it did a deep study on James Jamerson, Chuck Rainey and Ron Carter.  Okay, okay and have to have some Bootsy baby. 

I would also wish they would go deep at some point, but initially the 1000 hours seem to be spent across eight players:

"Bass Player was trained in collaboration with today’s best bass players using advanced AI and sampling technologies. Users can choose from eight different Bass Players and guide their performance with controls for complexity and intensity, while leveraging advanced parameters for slides, mutes, dead notes, and pickup hits."

If the Drummer plugin is any indication, they will spread the goodies amongst various genres. Drummer has seven genres and a few dozen drummers. I imagine they gave some thought to how well the styles will mesh together between Drummer, Bass Player and Keyboard Player. This is likely the small beginning of a larger library to come. I imagine Guitar Player is not far behind.

Wouldn't it be insanely great if they created a Session Players ecosystem like the App Store, allowing some of our favorite heroes to make unique contributions? AI Twiddly Bits! 💪

58 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

We can only dream of automated ass wiping trained on 1000 of the best ass wipers in history.  Now that is a future worth staying for.  

Here you go - 

https://www.totousa.com/washlet-s7a-contemporary-elongated-with-ewater

Heated seat, heated water, drying function…you’ll never poop outside your house again.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Color me clueless, but to those of you who use the stem separators. What do you use them for? Backing tracks? Mixing practice? Sampling? Something else?

1 minute ago, Tusker said:

Those of you who use the stem separators. What do you use them for? Backing tracks? Mixing practice? Something else?

I'm used them to hear something better to so I can make a similar part or I've converted to MIDI so I can get the feel.  Too much stuff in packs the soul is quantized out.    So mainly for reference. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Here you go - 

Heated seat, heated water, drying function…you’ll never poop outside your house again.

I have a friend in the high-end bathroom business and have seen and experienced these.   But I would expect even more from AI.  😂

Stem seperator is cool.

I was initially (and still am a bit) wary of the AI stuff but then I remembered I've sometimes used Drummer and that's basically the same thing. I'll just have to get used to the future.

In any case, my 2011 MacBook is still going strong but it can't support the update, so I'm stuck with Logic X for the time being!

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

27 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Here you go - 

Since I was responsible for starting this whole thread (please kill it with fire after this), I'll say that we have something similar.

It's a game changer.  Seriously.   

Anyway, despite my annoyance with AI taking over I'll probably be checking out the updates when I get my new laptop cranked up.   My 2016 has started having performance issues ever since I went to Monterey from High Sierra.   I had the chance to inherit my wife's M1 and hopefully it'll be a big improvement.

15 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Stem seperator is cool.

I was initially (and still am a bit) wary of the AI stuff but then I remembered I've sometimes used Drummer and that's basically the same thing. I'll just have to get used to the future.

In any case, my 2011 MacBook is still going strong but it can't support the update, so I'm stuck with Logic X for the time being!

I prefer this to udio.com where the machine writes the arrangement based on text prompts and lyrics.  While that might be a great approach for beginners or someone with just a bit of knowledge about how music is made - anyone who is deep into it would prefer tools that assist with getting great results without removing them from being in control along the way.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I prefer this to udio.com where the machine writes the arrangement based on text prompts and lyrics.  While that might be a great approach for beginners or someone with just a bit of knowledge about how music is made - anyone who is deep into it would prefer tools that assist with getting great results without removing them from being in control along the way.  

100% For me, Drummer is a great creative tool.

As I wrote in the iPad M4 thread, that and now this new Logic have seriously thinking about moving totally from a "desktop DAW" thing to a totally iOS thing...dithc the Mac Mini, and get one of these with the new keyboard and pen. Be a nice combo I'd think.

Logic for iOS is only going to get bigger and bigger, so I have a feeling apple are really going to support ongoing development.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

1 hour ago, miden said:

As I wrote in the iPad M4 thread, that and now this new Logic have seriously thinking about moving totally from a "desktop DAW" thing to a totally iOS thing...dithc the Mac Mini, and get one of these with the new keyboard and pen. Be a nice combo I'd think.

Logic for iOS is only going to get bigger and bigger, so I have a feeling apple are really going to support ongoing development.

If it’s popular they just fund development with the subscriptions and iPad sales.  

• Like 1

I hope they don't ditch the computer, personally.   If they do both, fine.

If the computer DAW ever actually went away I'd move to Ableton or Bitwig or something else.  I like the Logic stock plugins, but i have enough 3rd party tools to make the switch any time.

I too hope they stay with a high end offering and they likely will, but the future is going to look different.

Increasingly higher quality audio will be created on increasingly lower cost devices. The same forces that created and then killed the ADAT home studio are now taking aim at the tower workstation. Brilliant mixes will be created simply. The mix engineer will go the way of the typist.

Possibly time to stop upgrading and be a vintage music maker.  The current 8+ core CPUs with support for up to 64gb of RAM and ssd storage don’t really have any trouble with a boatload of tracks and plugins.  32bit float, 96k audio.  

What is apparently going to need more horse power is AI.  The buzz is all about these AI features which will run on dedicated AI cores.  If that doesn’t interest you, no reason to upgrade.  

But if these new work flows fascinate you and you’re a tech lover - this ride is just getting started.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, miden said:

I would be cautious about making this move based on what you think Apple is going to do. I was using Logic way back when eMagic owned it. When Apple took over, users rejoiced expecting massive improvements and a deep investment by the development team which would surely be right on the horizon. It took them years to give users what they were hoping for and it became clear to me during that time that Logic is not a huge priority for Apple.  Just some food for thought before making a leap you might regret.

• Like 2

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What is apparently going to need more horse power is AI.  The buzz is all about these AI features which will run on dedicated AI cores.  If that doesn’t interest you, no reason to upgrade.  

But if these new work flows fascinate you and you’re a tech lover - this ride is just getting started.  

Interesting that they are touting the neural engine in the M4 for AI performance in Logic Pro 2, but similar features are in Logic 11 and Apple dont stipulate the need for an M class chip to run Logic on the Mac. Surely AI should perform well on any recent Apple device…

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

3 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Interesting that they are touting the neural engine in the M4 for AI performance in Logic Pro 2, but similar features are in Logic 11 and Apple dont stipulate the need for an M class chip to run Logic on the Mac. Surely AI should perform well on any recent Apple device…

I heard for the new features that the a M-series chip is required. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I heard for the new features that the a M-series chip is required. 

For Mac, the requirement is Ventura 13.5 or later. Stem splitter and chroma glow require Apple Silicon. iPad version needs a Bionic A12 processor or better (8th gen iPad for example). M1 recommended for version 2 and necessary for the stem splitter.

So, AI features (other than the two above) can be used on most devices meeting minimum spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

For Mac, the requirement is Ventura 13.5 or later. Stem splitter and chroma glow require Apple Silicon. iPad version needs a Bionic A12 processor or better (8th gen iPad for example). M1 recommended for version 2 and necessary for the stem splitter.

So, AI features (other than the two above) can be used on most devices meeting minimum spec.

That stem splitter function intrigues me. So I'll use it on my home-based M2 MacMini. Then I should be able to open the same Project's now-separated tracks om my 2020 MacBook Pro i7 - when needing to work remotely. That should work, unless I'm missing something? That should then leave the Chroma Glow effect as the only thing that wouldn't transfer/open on my 4-year old MBP..

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

If you have Apple silicon you’ll be able to use the new features.  Freeze or bounce in place to use in other versions of Logic, export stems to open in any other DAW.   

3 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I guess we will find out on Monday 🙂

On 5/7/2024 at 1:32 PM, Tusker said:

Color me clueless, but to those of you who use the stem separators. What do you use them for? Backing tracks? Mixing practice? Sampling? Something else?

Two primary uses for me
1. Great for splitting out hard to hear parts when you're learning a song.
2. Great for practicing with a recording where you're part has been removed so you're playing along with the original drummer and bass player.

I have found that stem splitters are really good at isolating drums, bass, and pretty good at vocals/harmonies.  But the guitars/keyboards/horns sometimes end up all in one track. But still, If I can just play with the actual drums/bass vocals and get rid of the middle part of the song, it really gives me a great idea how I should actually sound in the song.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

The AI mastering feature that came in the last update rarely doesn’t seem to get talked about much. Neat little feature which I have used on a few tracks I thought were well mixed, 30 seconds later, they sounded much better.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

The AI mastering feature that came in the last update rarely doesn’t seem to get talked about much. Neat little feature which I have used on a few tracks I thought were well mixed, 30 seconds later, they sounded much better.

For me it slipped below the radar. I never even noticed this feature because I had a workflow based around different tools. Something to look at thanks!

• Like 1