Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland GO:KEYS 3 Playing Video

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I wonder  how the GO:KEYS 3 Acoustic Piano 1, clean Rhodes for jazz soloing, and key action-touch response all compare to the Casio CT-S1 ?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Wasn't the USP here that one could add new Zenology sounds to them, kind of AstroLab style, from Roland Cloud in some way?

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

14 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

I wonder  how the GO:KEYS 3 Acoustic Piano 1, clean Rhodes for jazz soloing, and key action-touch response all compare to the Casio CT-S1 ?

Before long there will probably be no shortage of piano and rhodes sound demos on youtube, but I think it is notable that both of the above videos specifically mentioned something along the lines of the action requiring some getting used to... the criticism, while muted, was still there. That's not something I've seen people say about the Casio action, which seems to elicit a lot of particularly positive reaction.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I can confirm having played both Roland Keys 3 (although only for a brief moment in a loud music store, consider that) and the Casio CT-S1 which I've owned for years, I immediately felt the the Roland feels a bit weird in comparison. Probably have to have another look at it though.

• Like 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Would you really buy this to play on? I think it sounds great but I thought you’d pick this up to midi it to another board with proper action (synth or weighted)?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

1 hour ago, Dockeys said:

Would you really buy this to play on? I think it sounds great but I thought you’d pick this up to midi it to another board with proper action (synth or weighted)?

My anwer is no. I prefer my iPad which I can play with any keyboard I want - including pitch and mod wheels if needed. 

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

40 minutes ago, TomKittel said:

My anwer is no. I prefer my iPad which I can play with any keyboard I want - including pitch and mod wheels if needed. 

It'd be fabulous if the Roland Cloud became available for iOS!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

2 hours ago, Dockeys said:

I posit that the CK61 would be vastly superior. I haven't had the chance to compare both, but even with the money difference (which is no issue to me) I think the CK61 should be better. I am looking to buy a board in July so I'm still waiting to see whether new stuff comes out till then

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Is the Roland action the same as the previous version?  If so, yikes!   I hated that keyboard so much. Felt like a Fisher-Price kid's toy. Sold it within 48 hours.  To me, the Casio CTS1 was worlds better.

The portable I have been using for awhile is a 61 note Casio CTK 4200. Two things I like about it is the waterfall keybed and the Rhodes sound which is labeled DYNO EP1. This is one of the better Rhodes I have heard anywhere , reminding me somewhat of some of the Rhodes on Yamaha Motif. I have not heard the recent Casio portables or the Go Piano but for me it's hard to beat the CTK 4200.....but they may be hard to find. Mine was $40 on Craigslist. That EP is similar to the Casio WK 220 ....but the keys feel slightly different,the WK 220 is 6 octaves rather than 5.