Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX-7 keybed....anyone here played one?

16 hours ago, Red Ranger said:

That's really helpful! Thanks!

yea , i went from a MOXF 6  to a MODX 7 . don't know what they did to it , but the MODX is definitely an improvement . it's not bad to play on as an unweighted

keyboard , not so hot for EPs and APs . they come alive on a weighted one . at home i play it through my 14 year old P-85 .

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bill bosco said:

yea , i went from a MOXF 6  to a MODX 7 . don't know what they did to it , but the MODX is definitely an improvement . it's not bad to play on as an unweighted

keyboard , not so hot for EPs and APs . they come alive on a weighted one . at home i play it through my 14 year old P-85 .

Try to modify the velocity offset. It was a revelation for me when I tried that!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Try to modify the velocity offset. It was a revelation for me when I learn that!

So true. As my keybro Viv Savage suggested, make some basic AP and EP performances, then modify the velocity to about “75” and it makes a huge difference!

• Cool 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The YC61/YC73, CP73, CK61, and I think the MODX8/CK88 likewise benefit from these adjustments. My theory is that these sounds are first optimized for the key response of the top-line models (Montage 8, CP88, YC88) and that they are not "recalibrated" for the different actions on the lower end derivative models.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure there is a global setting as well--one of the first things I did was tweak that to require more velocity to cause "forte" piano sounds, or a rhodes to bark and so on.  Almost positive it was global at any rate, because I wanted it set that way for any piano-ish instrument.

That said, what I'm talking about wasn't an "offset", it was a setting--iirc, "hard" or "soft" and so on.

29 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Right, there is a global touch setting, but the velocity offset and depth settings are per patch.

That is!. And I prefer it that way, as sometimes a velocity offset of 75 is OK, but sometimes I go up to mid 80s

I have a MODX7, and I hate the action, it's atrocious - especially when trying to play pianistically.  This is not attributable merely to the difference between a weighted action and a synth action - it's a BAD synth action.  Many others have gotten into detail describing the action's shortcomings, but bottom line - it's unacceptable in an instrument that is otherwise high-quality, and is manufactured by a company that should know better. (Indeed, Yamaha's legendary DX7 had an EXCELLENT synth action almost 40 years ago.  Yes it was heavier, but all these years later one would think that there have been advances in manufacturing and materials that would allow them to give us something better than the MOX's toylike action.)

Adjusting the velocity curve isn't much of a help, but it does improve matters slightly.

It's a pity, considering that the MODX has SO much going for it otherwise - great sounds, flexibility, and fantastic portability (weight).  But, what's the point if the playing experience is not enjoyable?

I think a lot of manufacturers have it backwards - even in non-flagship models, playability/playing experience should be the first consideration - not something thrown away as a tradeoff in return for other features/keeping the price low.  It is a musical instrument, after all.

• Like 3

I agree with Rodan it's a poor action, even within the realm of synth actions. I simply could not play piano to any reasonable standard on it (classically trained) and I can manage pretty well on the Nord Electro 6 SW73 which I have below it. (Apart from anything else, the CFX samples sound terrible in mono, so the Nord wins out again there)

But it's the most powerful synth I've ever owned for sonic capabilities, invaluable for a covers band.

Sidebar - I wonder if the MODX + that was released will ever be able to accommodate the analog modelling in the new Montage/MODX M series, and whether that is planned?

I remain perplexed by what exactly the point of the MODX + release was, apart from some VERY minor improvements. I still have my MODX7 and intend to keep it (the M update itself was not enough for me to upgrade)

13 minutes ago, Sunlight2 said:

I agree with Rodan it's a poor action, even within the realm of synth actions. I simply could not play piano to any reasonable standard on it (classically trained) and I can manage pretty well on the Nord Electro 6 SW73 which I have below it. (Apart from anything else, the CFX samples sound terrible in mono, so the Nord wins out again there)

But it's the most powerful synth I've ever owned for sonic capabilities, invaluable for a covers band.

Sidebar - I wonder if the MODX + that was released will ever be able to accommodate the analog modelling in the new Montage/MODX M series, and whether that is planned?

I remain perplexed by what exactly the point of the MODX + release was, apart from some VERY minor improvements. I still have my MODX7 and intend to keep it (the M update itself was not enough for me to upgrade)

Well, the MODX+ has almost identical sonic and memory capabilities than the MONTAGE. I guess it is a way for YAMAHA to profit longer from that platform.

For me is very handy to be able to copy my configuration back and forth the MONTAGEs and the MODX+ (all of them 61 keys), with no practical differences among them. I can have both with same libraries, as memory size is the same. That is a plus (pun intended 😉) for me.

As a sidenote, the mod wheels were also upgraded to the same type the MONTAGE has. Yes, the keybed is not great. But I am surprised how I have adapted to it and, from being kind of impossible to deal with at the beginning, now I use it for all my rehearsals and most of my gigs (pop/rock, no need of very detailed touch 😅)

PS: if you want to try a really bad keybed, play an M-AUDIO Venom 🤯

• Like 1

Yes, I am tending to agree with the above posts....while it's ok for playing playing piano, not the best really, but ok, it is very noisy as in "thumpy" when you dig in and the key meets the bottom. So much so that I have changed the system velocity to soft, so I can hit notes with a little less energy thereby creating less thump.

I am now contemplating trading it back in for the Montage M 7 with the FSX keybed. A big price to pay for essentially a keybed upgrade (although there are other benefits too I must point out), but time will see if I can never get used to the MODX7 keybed.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Three words…. weight, weight, weight.

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm selling mine.  Can't get past the horrible keybed and overall build quality at all.  

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

3 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

PS: if you want to try a really bad keybed, play an M-AUDIO Venom 🤯

From my experiences, any M-Audio keybed would qualify as horrible.  Lol

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

• 3 weeks later...

Helpful post as I'm looking for a lighter top board to replace my  twenty year old Korg Triton Extreme 61. I use a Nord Stage 2 76 for main board/piano.

I tried an MODX7 in store an thought the keybed was OK. Light but fast. I suppose for top tier playing it would suffice but it would be the MODX6 anyway.

The other contender is the Roland Fantom 06 for better keybed, organs plus the sampler pads are useful for live playing.

10 hours ago, Dan32 said:

I tried an MODX7 in store an thought the keybed was OK. Light but fast. I suppose for top tier playing it would suffice but it would be the MODX6 anyway.

The other contender is the Roland Fantom 06 for better keybed, organs plus the sampler pads are useful for live playing.

Personally, I think the MODX 6/7 action is better than the Fantom-06/-07. Less pushback, more even in response from the front of the keys to the back.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

12 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Personally, I think the MODX 6/7 action is better than the Fantom-06/-07. Less pushback, more even in response from the front of the keys to the back.

Useful to know as my local store doesn't have the 06 or 07.

I have a Roland A500 Pro controller keyboard that uses the same keybed as the DS61 and FA06. 

Shorter keys with quite a shallow travel but good quality feel overall. I'm assuming the Fantom 06 keys are similar but a bit larger. 

This post says all I need to know really about the suitability of the MODX6 for my gigs:

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2024 at 11:01 PM, AnotherScott said:

Have just noticed the response thing when playing my A500 Pro keyboard.

The keys are indeed stiffer to press nearer the back. If the Fantom 06/07 keys are similar, that may be a problem.

No such issue with the FS action on my Triton but that is a premium keybed.

I have played an MODX7 in store but didn't really think much about the pressure eveness of the keys. 

Just that were easier to play than my A500 which have quite a shallow travel.

On 4/28/2024 at 8:30 PM, AnotherScott said:

Yes, and that's one of the reasons that the best actions for piano are the worst for organ and vice versa... "smushing" of adjacent notes sounds great on organ and terrible on piano. So for one, you want an action that facilitates that slop, and for the other, you want one that creates an obstacle to it.

That's it -- best word and comment of the week! *

Very true observation.

Old No7

* Edited to add:  Even if it was said many weeks ago...........

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

My MODX7 has been my main board for about 4+ years. I have issues with my hands and I haven't been able to play a piano weighted or even an "organ" keyboard like the Roland VR-730 (too springy) for years. I am okay with the MODX's keybed. Sound wise it is great for me. I use it to cover Cars, Bon Jovi, Billy Idol, Styx and The Who to name a few. With multiple splits, layering and programing I have been able to cover everything I need. Yeah, the organ is its weakest link but I carry a Roland VR-09 as a second board so that is covered. I will probably upgrade it to the plus version in the near future.

• Like 3