Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to get a tone similar to this guitar solo ?

Hello !
Can anyone please tell me how to get a tone similar to this guitar solo ?
What type of guitar/pickups/amp/settings etc....

Also , is there any type of effect pedals used ?
When there is a single note repetead multiple times , I hear some sort of modulation happening to the notes ???

Thank you very much !

https://youtu.be/EjrtifuZ5cs

• Like 2

I listened to the video, and have ideas, but I’m RIGHT about to go to bed.  I’ll comment more later.

Let me say this, though: one of the tools I use (besides my own ears & brain) is a sire calle Equipboard.  They have lists of the gear musicians used to record their music.  Type in a name, see what they’ve been spotted using.

https://equipboard.com

That said, Isis sounds a lot like they’re aiming to sound like AC/DC.  So even if you can’t find Isis’ gear, you could look to see what Angus & Malcolm Young have used in their storied careers.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I have to agree with @Dannyalcatraz, their overall sound reminds me of AC/DC.

Couple of thoughts, in that regard. Very likely Guitars with HB's, going into some kind of Brit-sounding Amp, or Amp modeler.

Keep in mind that many OD and Distortion pedals use very similar chips and circuits. I once saw a list of ALL the Overdrive pedals that used the JRC4558 chip, the favored chip for vintage TS9's, and it seemed like you'd have a hard time finding an OD that didn't use it!

Start out with a solid body with HB's, and an overdriven Amp tone, see how close you can get without adding pedals, then try a straight-ahead Distortion pedal, like a RAT, or DS-1, or what-have-you. If you have a Distortion pedal that's meant to model a British Amp tone, so much the better.

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I’m back!

Amusingly, the Youngs of AC/DC used few pedals beyond basic functional stuff- tuners, wireless rigs, EQs.  Their formula was basically humbucker-equipped guitars into British style (Marshall, Orange) amps turned way up.

I know one used a boost pedal- probably Angus.

So, echoing Winston’s post, about all I’d add for an initial attempt at this sound would be a “Marshall in a box” or distortion pedal if you don’t already use one as your main amp, plus a transparent boost style OD or simple volume pedal.  That should get you solidly into AC/DC territory.

The JHS Angry Charlie and Marshall Guv’nor are pretty popular Marshall in a box pedals.  I’ve heard the Menatone King of the Britains/The King is getting some respect. (Disclosure: I don’t own any of these.)

Dialing in Isis’ guitarist’ actual sound might be a little trickier.  There might be a hint of other effects: distortion, fuzz, reverb, chorus, etc.- thrown in, but if so, they’re using it barely on.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

As others have noted above, this is VERY 'AC/DC' sounding, and a Gibson-y dual humbucker guitar with a Marshall-style amp or modeler/IR or a Marshall-voiced Overdrive pedal will get you there, and then some. The speaker-cab should be a closed-back 4x12 or 2x12 type (though a closed-back 1x12 will do), or IR's of those if going modeler/IR. It really sounds like a closed-back cab to me.

Lots of mid, moderate lows, and slightly dark highs.

Don't overdo gain/distortion. Picking dynamics need to be able to come through. Working on your playing to get that tone and attitude is just as important here as the guitar and pickups and everything.

No reverb or echo, unless it's VERY little of it and VERY subtle. What's heard in the recording is room/mic sound where it was recorded.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:58 PM, onion said:

Also , is there any type of effect pedals used ?
When there is a single note repetead multiple times , I hear some sort of modulation happening to the notes ???

I don't think ANY pedals were used there. Moving where the pick hits the string, just a little up or down the length of the string, along with adjusting the angle of the pick and/or letting a little of the thumb or finger that's holding the pick touch the string just a little, can create harmonic-overtones and create what you're perceiving as "modulation" there. Fast picking with a medium of thin pick on light gauge strings (probably 9's) adds to that; lighter strings will sort of wiggle and 'yelp' that way. (Personally, I prefer heavier strings, but light strings do things that heavier strings won't, and vice verse... )

A subtle amount of harmonic-feedback from playing the guitar fairly close to the amp and speaker can also add to that, though I'm not so sure that this is happening there.

What gear do you have already to work with, onion? What guitar(s), amp(s), pedals, etc.?

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

A big part of that sound is a brisk stroke with a medium or heavy pick slamming quickly and relentlessly on the strings in between the pickups. 

It's probably a Marshall or clone, it could be other amps or pedals.I can more or less get that sound with a Tech 21 Sans Amp Para Drive DI pedal but you have to dial it in correctly. The magic aspect of the Tech 21 SansAmp pedal is that it has Level, Drive and Blend controls. Most distortion pedals don't have all 3 knobs. You can blend a clean tone with a distorted tone so you get the grind but keep the clarity. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

A big part of that sound is a brisk stroke with a medium or heavy pick slamming quickly and relentlessly on the strings in between the pickups. 

👆 THIS, and well said.  Worded better than the way I posted, "Picking dynamics need to be able to come through. Working on your playing to get that tone and attitude is just as important here as the guitar and pickups and everything" above here

And I defer to Kuru in the matter that a medium to heavy pick might serve best here, rather than the "medium to light" pick I suggested- although that's certainly up for experimentation and individual preference!

The bottom line- punchy hot-side-of-medium-gain, Marshall-esque closed-back cab character, projecting attitude.

By the way, I believe that the recording was released in 1984, originating in in Romania. Gear available was basic but good, classic stuff. Things were probably kept very simple.

• Like 4

I have always found that a heavier, stiffer pick served me best for picking dynamics, although YEMV. While you can certainly use a heavy pick to hammer away at the strings, I've also found that when using a light touch, a stiff pick enhanced my tone and articulation.

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

I have always found that a heavier, stiffer pick served me best for picking dynamics, although YEMV. While you can certainly use a heavy pick to hammer away at the strings, I've also found that when using a light touch, a stiff pick enhanced my tone and articulation.

I agree! I use heavy picks with a light touch. Recently I've been exploring picking with fingers and thumb on electric guitar (and bass). Another tone and style of playing. I've done it for years on acoustic guitars but that is yet another tone and style as well. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I prefer stiff picks for almost all purposes; their thickness depends on the materials used.

So on the thick side, I have picks made from hard plastics and jade.

I have done medium thick picks made from hard plastics and different kinds of agate.

On the thin side, I have carbon fiber, carbon nylon, steel, copper and titanium.

• Like 4

=IF= I even used picks, my own personal preference would be for a very thick Jim Dunlop "Big Stubby" Jazz pick, or something similar .  =IF=.

• Like 2

I use .73 Cool red thin picks exclusively. They last forever. The thinner plastic Cool pick helps me glide over the strings when playing rhythm guitar and chords (Not recommended for the OP's needs).  These thinner picks also help lesson click-clack pick/string noise and are still thick enough for lead playing.  😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

I spent 40+ years using Fender medium Jazz picks. I recently started using Dunlop extra light standard sized picks which I cut down to the size of the old jazz picks, trying to mimic the feel of the jazz picks. After a few years of trying to adapt to the new picks, I think I might be closing in on the change from the Fender jazz picks to the lighter Dunlops..

• Like 2

Actually after 40+years of Fender light jazz picks, I tried switching to the Dunlops over and over again, so for this mornings practice Tried the Fender light jazz picks and went immediately back to them. 40 years of a certain "feel" made me realize that my my long years of habit with the Fender Jazz picks made me so used to the jazz picks, that my unconscious "feel" took over every time I tried to replace the jazz picks with the Dunlops, I was making bad picking mistakes due to the different feel. So many years of habit won over and back I went to the Fenders. (Glad I did not throw out the Fenders). I have been trying to replace the Fenders for 5 years but to no avail.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:30 AM, Larryz said:

I use .73 Cool red thin picks exclusively. They last forever. The thinner plastic Cool pick helps me glide over the strings when playing rhythm guitar and chords (Not recommended for the OP's needs).  These thinner picks also help lesson click-clack pick/string noise and are still thick enough for lead playing.  😎

The .73 Cool red thin picks seem to strike a great balance between durability and flexibility, allowing you to smoothly glide over the strings while also minimizing pick/string noise.

• Like 2

@murphybridget, +1 we are on the same wavelength.  Although the Cool picks are cerrated at the top half for added non-slip grip, I add the small clear silicon dot from Monster Grips available on Amazon to all my red Cool picks.  I use them on the thumb side (one side only).  They really help prevent slippage and make a great reference point.  They add a very small amount of weight thickness to the pick but just enough to give them the perfect tad bid of stiffness...definately worth a try and can be easily removed if not liked. 😎👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

On 5/1/2024 at 8:30 AM, Larryz said:

@murphybridget, +1 we are on the same wavelength.  Although the Cool picks are cerrated at the top half for added non-slip grip, I add the small clear silicon dot from Monster Grips available on Amazon to all my red Cool picks.  I use them on the thumb side (one side only).  They really help prevent slippage and make a great reference point.  They add a very small amount of weight thickness to the pick but just enough to give them the perfect tad bid of stiffness...definately worth a try and can be easily removed if not liked. 😎👍

O wow!!! I never thought of adding silicon on my picks to prevent slippage. Thank you for that idea.

• Like 2