Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

suggestions for iPad holder, using K&M stand

I've just purchased the 18820 table stand with 2nd tier attachments. I'd like  an iPad holder which I can attach to the end of each 2nd tier arm(see photo). I'd like to avoid multiple mic stands, and keep my iPads attached to the keyboard stand. I have a 10" and a 12.9" iPad. Suggestions?

2nd tier.png

• Like 1

The K&M tablet holder 19791 could work, it fits the 18881 perfectly

1513953932Tablethouder-1.jpg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

31 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

The K&M tablet holder 19791 could work

The 197xx family are great, but the 19791 is intended for attaching to a cylindrical tube. ( @Paul Woodward how do you attach yours to your 18881?).

The 19795 is the same thing without the "clamp-to-a-tube" bit, it fits a standard mic thread. I would couple it with something like a 23700 table clamp, that's designed for flat surfaces. 

Cheers, Mike.

14 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

The 197xx family are great, but the 19791 is intended for attaching to a cylindrical tube. ( @Paul Woodward how do you attach yours to your 18881?).

The nature of the clamp (flat foot on the screw plate and rubber pad in the well) means it grabs the square tube just as well as round. Going nowhere.

20230930_101949.jpg

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

i own and use at least 3 of these, maybe more.  some in studio, one lives at a club, one in a gig bag. ymmv, but they are cheap, solid and work great.  (the link here is fo the size i have, but i beleive there is one size larger that will hold an ipad pro for a couple bucks more)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RD8B8ZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spacer.png

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

For something similar, I'm considering this one...

61b8XvuqY+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMO, that has FAIL written all over it. Especially the what looks to be tiny spring clamp. In my experience with IPAD holders (and i've been through a ton of crappy ones), if it doesn't clap down with a serious, good-sized all metal screw assembly similar to a C clamp, you're asking for trouble and a shattered tablet. (ask me how i know) ;)   The Amazon branded one i posted a few posts above (also made by several other folks too), isn't perfect, but it holds non specific sized tablets/phones very sturdy and is extremely adjustable in many directions.  In addition it holds the tablet/phone with contacts on all four sides instead of the usual 2 or 3. It also has the plus of using a standard mic stand thread which lets you be able to add an extender or put it on a boom if you need to. They used to be 12 bucks, now they're $18, which is still not bad compared to how expensive some inferior ones are.  

K&M is the way to go, all the way, pay up, buy right, cry once only. I've stopped cheaping out on these things for the sole reason that I'm tired of things that breaks or makes other things break.

Everything K&M I own is built like it was designed to withstand German tanks..

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 4/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, D. Gauss said:

i own and use at least 3 of these, maybe more.  some in studio, one lives at a club, one in a gig bag. ymmv, but they are cheap, solid and work great.  (the link here is fo the size i have, but i beleive there is one size larger that will hold an ipad pro for a couple bucks more)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RD8B8ZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wish there was a size that would handle the iPad Pro 12.9

On 4/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, D. Gauss said:

spacer.png

36 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Yeah, google searching must be banned in some towns. Sort of like Dirty Dancing.
side note: Duck Duck Go has been delivering more/better search results btw.

There are perfectly usable knock-offs of this holder out there for mere peanuts. Don't overpay for these things.

I have the K&M above as well. It's nice but honestly they're overcharging for what it is.

I've used and broken most of them, and modded them, but this one https://www.herculesstands.com/products/multimedia/tablet/dg307b I agave found to be the best, with the strongest attachment to a stand of any I have used...fits pretty much any iPad...I currently own three of them!!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

7 hours ago, LeesKeys said:

And the winner is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KC46XNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Decent quality. Very adjustable. I attached the clamp to the 2nd tier base cross bar. Holds my 12.9, very stable. Hinge points are tightened with a 4mm Allen wrench.

That actually looks pretty decent, let's hope the quality of the moving parts are keeping up!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

11 hours ago, LeesKeys said:

And the winner is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KC46XNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Decent quality. Very adjustable. I attached the clamp to the 2nd tier base cross bar. Holds my 12.9, very stable. Hinge points are tightened with a 4mm Allen wrench.

I have one of these as well as the one i linked to above.  Couple problems i had with this one: 

A) you can't adjust it without the wrench. "where did i put the wrench?" Fine for permanent install I guess, but not so much for on-the-fly at a gig stuff.

B) For mine (and others' judging by some of the reviews), even when tightened, it very slowly would sag over time with a large heavy IPAD.  By slowly I mean the next morning my IPAD is sitting on the studio console instead of up in the air. These things have one job to do, and mine fails at it.

C) The large "elbow" of the thing is quite cumbersome and depending upon how you set it up kinda sticks out like a giant sore thumb.  If you can get it where you want it and aren't gonna move it at all, i guess it's ok, but i never got along with it.

D) The clamp is a little wonky and only works on a right-angled "tabletop-esque" surface.  you won't be putting this on a tubular x-stand or a mic stand or a drumset.

Mine lives now lives in the studio holding a tablet over my console (with the bottom edge of the tablet resting on the meter bridge so it doesn't sag)

• Like 1

We'll see how well it works for me over the longer term. So far, so good.  I realized right away that I needed to designate a specific place to keep the allen wrench, which will be in the small front pocket of my gear bag.  I will probably carry a second one for security. The way I have my iPad set up, the bottom edge leans against the top back of the upper keyboard- so sagging shouldn't be a problem.  I just couldn't get the placement and angle for the iPad the way I want it with a less "maneuverable" holder. Haven't gigged with it yet so like I said, we'll see.

On 4/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, D. Gauss said:

I ordered this. Looks very stable but the clamp is for a tube rather than a rectangular bar. That was a non starter for me so I'm returning it for a refund. 

On 4/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, D. Gauss said:

1 minute ago, LeesKeys said:

I ordered this. Looks very stable but the clamp is for a tube rather than a rectangular bar. That was a non starter for me so I'm returning it for a refund. 

Sorry to hear. Did you actually try it?  While the clamp part is ideally suited to a round mic or keyboard stand, depending upon thickness, I've had no problems using it on a rectangular Z-stand, too.  e.g. The little "claw" part grabs the square end and it securely clamps across diagonally (hard to explain). Obviously, YMMV.

The K&M I posted earlier is meant to clamp onto round tube, but the way it works it grabs rectangular tube just as well and really isnt moving unless I whack it some.

• Like 1

I like this one a lot, it can hold a 12.9" model, and the articulations give it a lot of flexibility, like being able to mount it to a stand and come "around the side" of a keyboard rather than having to come "over the top" - so for example, looking at the picture of the stand arms in the OP, if the keyboard were deep enough that it hung off the back, you could still find a way to make this work, whereas some (all?) of the others talked about depend on there being clear mounting space behind the top board. I found it sufficiently stable. The mistake I made was leaving it attached to the stand for transport, where it banged into something and broke. It's not particularly time consuming to attach/detach, not necessarily any more than any C-Clamp design would be, but I was trying to avoid the nuisance of "one more thing I have to fiddle with."

61AXtQXLUbS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

12 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I like this one a lot, it can hold a 12.9" model, and the articulations give it a lot of flexibility, like being able to mount it to a stand and come "around the side" of a keyboard rather than having to come "over the top" - so for example, looking at the picture of the stand arms in the OP, if the keyboard were deep enough that it hung off the back, you could still find a way to make this work, whereas some (all?) of the others talked about depend on there being clear mounting space behind the top board. I found it sufficiently stable. The mistake I made was leaving it attached to the stand for transport, where it banged into something and broke. It's not particularly time consuming to attach/detach, not necessarily any more than any C-Clamp design would be, but I was trying to avoid the nuisance of "one more thing I have to fiddle with."

61AXtQXLUbS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is this a K&M product?

nevermind, i see the link now

On 4/21/2024 at 3:32 PM, AnotherScott said:

For something similar, I'm considering this one...

61b8XvuqY+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I got one to try. The clamp is surprisingly strong. As are the arms that hold the tablet... possibly distressingly so, as the strength required to get the arms around the 12.9 is substantial. It is pretty flexible in how you can configure it... this photo shows that I rotated the clamp 90 degrees from how it was illustrated above:

IMG_2838.thumb.JPG.3fa668ee9371fa40511f224b421eedcf.JPG

The biggest limitation I found is the lack of any further height adjustment. To use it in the way I illustrated there and likewise as described in the OP (on the rear of the stand that is supporting the keyboard), you can't necessarily get the height you'd want to be able to see/manipulate it behind the keyboard. Here it is behind a Fantom-0, which is borderline... it just barely makes it, even though I've mounted the iPad very low in the mount (which to its credit, still seems very stable). I would prefer to get the tablet higher so I could actually fit the back of the keyboard underneath it, A higher board would be that much more problematic.

IMG_2839.thumb.JPG.ab6835aafd27edb117e67185c4aec047.JPG

IMG_2840.thumb.JPG.98bed1518b955baf11db2c11734d2310.JPG

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)