Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Anyone planning to watch the eclipse?

Anyone planning to watch the eclipse? Are you traveling? We are going to the farm in Western Kentucky. It is a 5 hour drive but we plan on staying a week. That way we avoid the traffic jam. Last time I had friends stuck in traffic for 8 hours. I'm hoping the weather is as good as it was last time we had an eclipse. The hi-lite for me was seeing the strange pattern of shadows. For my sister, it was watching my cousin's cows run for the barn when it suddenly got dark. Even the birds stopped singing. I really confuses the animals.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One of my kids is in Bloomington, IN for school, and you cannot find a hotel room anywhere nearby, and municipalities are declaring states of emergency due to the predicted congestions. It would be hilarious if it was heavily overcast that day. I think they even canceled classes.

"For instance" is not proof.

Sadly no, it's a bit far, and I have way too much going on. I look forward to seeing a few images from you people, though.

21 hours ago, zeronyne said:

One of my kids is in Bloomington, IN for school, and you cannot find a hotel room anywhere nearby, and municipalities are declaring states of emergency due to the predicted congestions. It would be hilarious if it was heavily overcast that day. I think they even canceled classes.

I'm in A Pink Floyd tribute band that has 3 gigs in and around Bloomington for the Eclipse (1 Sunday and 2 Monday). I'm just a LITTLE nervous about getting from our first gig Monday to our 2nd. Could turn out to be quite the Spinal Tap moment. 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

17 minutes ago, mcgoo said:

I'm in A Pink Floyd tribute band that has 3 gigs in and around Bloomington for the Eclipse (1 Sunday and 2 Monday). I'm just a LITTLE nervous about getting from our first gig Monday to our 2nd. Could turn out to be quite the Spinal Tap moment. 

Everything I'm reading about it seems hyperbolic, but who knows? I'm even nervous about taking my other kid back to Purdue even though it's nowhere near the primary eclipse path.

"For instance" is not proof.

5 hours ago, zeronyne said:

Everything I'm reading about it seems hyperbolic, but who knows? I'm even nervous about taking my other kid back to Purdue even though it's nowhere near the primary eclipse path.

Yeah, it all seems a bit like the Y2k panic. Let's hope it's nothing more than that! 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

This is from the eclipse in 2017. Our farm was about 60 miles from the most optimal viewing point in the nation. This time the top viewing point is to the west of us, but we are still in a good position with a one minute viewing time, if the weather is clear.

BF33798A-DF59-4C55-B002-134182D0B103_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.55fe981c4681ee9608b21b503d7d7c74.jpeg

• Like 1

Here in Iowa we'll have a decent partial, but I'm tempted to charter a Lear jet up to Nova Scotia.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

4 hours ago, mcgoo said:

Yeah, it all seems a bit like the Y2k panic. Let's hope it's nothing more than that! 

If I start hearing "Thus Spake Zarathustra," I'll know we're boned. 💀🌚 :D

• Haha 1

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

On 4/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, Anderton said:

So, I just plan to stay at home so I can at least be playing loud music when the world blows up.

Likewise, I'll surely be in my favorite spot sitting at the Rhodes until we either get another version of Y2K (nothing) or a scene from the movie "2012".😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

About 2 hours to go. I'm on the edge of totality but weather is good. According to the news that I am watching, a lot of people that few in to Texas for the eclipse have rented cars to drive to areas of better weather. They interviewed a couple that flew in from England to Texas, then drove 12 hours to relocate to Illinois. My 5 hour drive to the farm does not seem so bad now.

We're directly under totality here, and just watched it from the back yard. Way cooler than I had expected. Not only the sun/moon itself at the moment of totality, but also the sense that it's sunset in 360 degrees. I had thought 'dark' would be 'dark', but of course it was only ~50 miles away north and south (and farther east and west) that had 'normal-to-semi-darkened' sunlight. So, the horizon in every direction had varying degrees of 'sunset' light. 

Also, the process of going from 'mostly' eclipsed to 'totality' and then back from 'totality' to 'mostly' was very quick and dramatic. 

I attended an Eclipse Party at the local community college here in California. These are iPhone photos of the event.

IMG_3296 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse - partial eclipse on my phone.jpeg

IMG_3289 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse.jpeg

IMG_3315  iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse - George wearing solar glasses.jpeg

IMG_3289 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse.jpeg

IMG_3287 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse.jpeg

IMG_3300 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse.jpeg

IMG_3304 iPhone 2024-04-08 Eclipse Party Pierce College - Professor Dale Fields - solar eclipse.jpeg

In the north east it was between 2-4PM and the sun was both pretty high in the sky plus rolling clouds.  We saw it but it was quite high and small compared to say, NASA’s view. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I drove to Iowa to see the last one, years ago. Thought about driving this year, but cloud cover was predicted, and we gig on Wednesday, so it wasn't practical. But I broke out the glasses and saw it at 50% from my house.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

We were in the totality line here in Texas (another reason for you to hate Texas :))

It was mostly cloudy as the eclipse began, but then about 10 minutes before total eclipse, the clouds thinned out and we got a great view of about 90% eclipse just sitting in chairs on the driveway.  But at total eclipse, a big stupid cloud blundered into the path...but then, to our great delight,  there was just a short 5-7 second break where we could see the corona - wow!  All that drama of the clouds obscuring and revealing...it was a cosmic striptease!

nat

• Like 1